azoo

The "Other Sonic Knowledge & Discoveries" Topic

Directly translating the names should get Mad and Had. But the tricky thing is, due to the limited pronunciation in Japanese both Hud (given it's pronounced "huh-d") and Had can be written as ハッド. Same situation for Mud and Mad, both will be written マッド. So unless we get official confirmation, neither is wrong. 

I'd say that Japanese people would prefer Mad because it looks "cooler". Also they're wearing hats so Hat(spelled Had to match with Mad?) makes more sense.

Ah. I didn't even know that was a thing.

I also still think Mad and Had are the ones the Manga intends, but for different reasons. If you extrapolate Mad and Had back out to Madd and Hadd, there are proper names that could take those as shortened versions (Maddox and Haddon respectively), which fits in with the rest of the family who have normal first names. There isn't an equivalent for Mudd and Hudd, all the listings give surnames instead. 

Not an incredibly useful fact but still something strange I noticed:

There is a layering/alpha error in Night of the Werehog.

sa17D9h.png

Not sure how to explain it, but I've encountered this same issue when working in 3D myself.

I have no idea where else to post this but I wanted to share this with others who might be interested and are unaware.

Marza Animation Planet recently created some Twitter accounts over the Summer. The cool thing is that the Staff page has been uploading some cute artwork of the ghosts from the Night of the Werehog short.

It's super cool to see these characters again in a semi-official way.

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but this thread seemed close. I recently found a channel that does a good job at explaining the original Japanese lore for Sonic and I thought it might be interesting for those who haven't heard of it before. He also goes over some of the more obscure Sonic games and appearances.

Spoiler

By this point most people are probably aware that Sonic borrows quite a bit from Dragon Ball, but there are a couple of nifty little tidbits that people probably aren't as aware of tying the two franchises to together. Two that really stand out to me is that Japanese voice actor Takeshi Kusao who provided Sonic's voice in SegaSonic the Hedgehog and possibly all of the Sonic arcade games and even the popcorn machine, is also the Japanese voice for Trunks, our favorite time traveling half-saiyan. Sticking to Toei related trivia, the second interesting little connection is that lead animator and character sheet artist for Toei's animation for Sonic CD, Hisashi Eguchi, was also a lead animator for Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z. this includes both the main series and several of the movies. So yeah, Sonic and Dragon Ball are pretty closely tied to each other in interesting ways.

SEGASonic’s voice cast has other DBZ alumni too.

Eggman’s voice, Masaharu Satō, was the voice of multiple characters across the first three shows, most notably that of Shenron, and Mighty’s voice actor, Yūsake Numata, went on to play Baby in DBGT.

I found this article about Modern Sonic's design informative. It explains while Yuji Uekawa usually gets the credit, that Satoshi Okano also helped define the look.
https://www.fanbyte.com/features/sonic-hedgehog-satoshi-okano/

“I want to say this to you who are reading this article,” he says, “Even if the spotlight doesn’t hit you, be patient. Even after 10 ~ 20 years, there will be times when the spotlight misses its aim. Even the ‘shadow’ becomes sunny. There’s no futility in life. You are the one that makes it interesting.”

BECFiw3.jpg