Awoo.

*(Sonic Adventure 2 - Exaggerations Meet Their Maker)*

Chris Knopps

34 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

...I don't see how there was any expectation for Sonic's gameplay to be as inconsistent as it was at the time. It may have needed a game or two to transition into 3D properly, but it shouldn't have floundered for close to a decade.

Being honest it floundered quite a bit in the Genesis/GameGear days as well. His game play has always been on a fast track to self destruction so to say. So really, no matter the timeline/era of the franchise, I suppose at the end of the day Sonic has always been up and down and all around. Spinball, Labyrinth, Blast, etc.

I dunno... It's hard to really say there ever was any consistency save for S1-S2-S3&K and SA-SA2, as everything else beyond those two saga's have always been changing things up drastically.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

SA-SA2

Sonic Adventure 2 resembled Sonic Adventure in shallow ways, but the level design philosophy was entirely different and Sonic's controls had changed quite a bit. SA1 feels like an honest attempt to have the original gameplay in 3D, whereas SA2's levels were more straightforward, had more set-pieces, more Boost Pads, and Sonic couldn't even roll. SA2 feels sorta like a middle ground between SA1 and Unleashed to me.

Rolling used to be Sonic's signature move and even in SA1 it often came in handy if you knew what you were doing.

• Thumbs Up 5

15 hours ago, XD375 said:

Sonic Adventure 2 resembled Sonic Adventure in shallow ways, but the level design philosophy was entirely different and Sonic's controls had changed quite a bit. SA1 feels like an honest attempt to have the original gameplay in 3D, whereas SA2's levels were more straightforward, had more set-pieces, more Boost Pads, and Sonic couldn't even roll. SA2 feels sorta like a middle ground between SA1 and Unleashed to me.

Rolling used to be Sonic's signature move and even in SA1 it often came in handy if you knew what you were doing.

You did watch the whole video right? Just double checking.

I was not responding to the video, I was responding to your assertion that SA2's gameplay was consistent with SA1's, which is untrue on all but the shallowest of levels.

On 1/10/2016 at 6:41 PM, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I guess I could frame it this way: if there existed a game that was JUST treasure hunting stages with the very same gameplay as SA2 but with no connection to Sonic, would everyone basically be satisfied with how they played? I doubt it, personally.

For the record, I would totally play the dickens out of that hypothetical game. Look, I'm really sorry for expressing such an unpopular opinion, but damn, I have such an adoration for the treasure hunting levels. To date, it's still the most satisfying experience I've had with open-ended platforming level design. They always seemed like Mario 64 / Sunshine levels if Mario was overpowered with wall-climbing, gliding, and super speed. The goal in collecting three items strewn around a massive stage still makes me really appreciate the level design the game gives me. And it hurts me that nobody out there actually likes this playstyle, because that doesn't just mean I can't get them in a Sonic game, but I can't get this experience in any other game, ever. If any of you actually know a game that feels like the treasure hunting stages from SA2 in physics and mechanics, please inform me so I can leave you all alone forever.

That being said, I think Chris Knopps and the reviewer in question are behaving the way they are because we feel really confined in expressing our opinions on this game. Because the mass media of the Internet has gone about its business in criticizing the game, and we likewise have no comparatively large representation trying to defend it, we feel like we're being snuffed out, like trying to at very least get people to reconsider their negative opinions on SA2 is seen as an act of blindness or fanboyism. It feels like we either have to admit that the game is bad, regardless of our opinion on it, or we're fanboys. Quite frankly, the fact that we're not being given an option for middle ground is why we're behaving the way we are. It's kind of an act of rebellion, but one that we feel completely justified in, because our now unpopular opinions, popular as they may have been at one point, are being dismissed. On a personal level, I feel like I have spent enough time with the game, both when it first came out as well as very recently, to justify holding the opinion I, and many others do. This is no longer a clause for nostalgia, but a desperate plea to have our opinions taken seriously.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, as said before, my older sister also loves the treasure hunting stages, so you ain't truly alone, Writer's Blah :P

I guess I understand that it must hurt for others to consider your opinions so illegitimate. In a sense, that's sort of "the way it goes" on an individual level, but for such a large group of people to side against your opinion in that way makes it much more painful. I guess I might compare it to, in my own life, being a Christian who really hates the movie  "God's Not Dead", while everyone around me is praising it.

Probably the only solution to present reasonable arguments when applicable and ultimately be contented in your own reasons for your opinion, without needing them to be legitimized by others. It doesn't hurt if you can also see where your opponents are coming from, too, as then you may feel a little less "attacked", I guess. It may be hard and painful, but unless you're actually able to turn the tide of popular opinion, it's probably the only option.

Personally, I can see the appeal of the mech stages and treasure hunting stages. Heck, if I had more patience, maybe I'd like them more myself, especially the treasure hunting. I guess I just simply don't want to deal with the things I don't like, especially when there are so many different things I could be doing with my time. Basically, I can see others' perspective while still maintaining my own opinion. It would be nice if everyone else could do the same, but sometimes it just isn't easy to see things from another perspective, and that's a part of life we all may have to, well, deal with for the most part, even when it's not fair and even painful.

• Thumbs Up 2

I realy enjoy the treasure hunting stages as well, I just dont comment about it much since i find it futile to argue why I like them when a lot of people already made up their minds that they are terrible. And its not like I dont see where a lot of people are comming from when criticising those stages, I even agree with said criticism. I just dont find it to break the actual fun of those stages. I dont mind the slower pace here since my mindset is more on actualy exploring the level design, Knuckles stages has more of a relaxed feeling to them and his abilities makes it very easy to enjoy the exploring parts. But sure, if i play them the first few times and just wants to zoom through them, I too would get frustrated.

So, the bottom line is, yeah, i would very much enjoy a game centered on knuckles treasure hunting mechanics. Ofcourse i would expect them to be improved since we live in 2016 now.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 01/11/16 at 3:51 PM, XD375 said:

The control difference was definitely for the better, being much tighter overall.  He didn't zig zag around as much in narrow ways, considering how narrow Sonic's levels are in Sa2 it's a good thing that was changed.

Sonic rolling, he can roll. Only if you spin dash first, it's no different. You have a somersault in Sa2, but that just delays the spin dash animation for a second.