Awoo.

This Sonic figure shouldn't exist.

Chip Biscuit

My brother was perusing a charity shop the other day, and set his eyes upon this 8.5" resin Sonic figure from Toy Island. Knowing I am a jolly old Sonic fan, (and it was only £2) he bought it for me. Now, this figure, made in the year 2000, was made as part of a Sonic Adventure line of toys. It also includes a small speaker in its foot, and pressing a button will make him say one of two phrases.

Given this figure's date of manufacture, you'd expect him to say a quip from the Sonic Adventure game, correct? Then imagine my surprise to hear Jason Griffith exclaim "As long as there's somewhere to run, I'll be happy!" and Roger Craig Smith say "I'm giving you one last chance, Eggman!"

A short video demonstrating the unexpected voice.

I did some cursory research, and it appears this particular combination of phrases is usually found in the speaker of a Sonic plushie, not a resin figure. So what's the deal here? Is my toy modified? Was it a post-2010 reprint with the wrong sound box fitted? Or is this figure merely the work of Satan? I'd love to hear your thoughts below.

• Thumbs Up 2

My camera has a really crappy mic, but even so it's a very slight difference between the two. I could only tell after listening over and over and over...

EDIT: Now you mention it, I'm not entirely sure the first one is Jason Griffith. Either way, the second is most definitely R. C. Smith, and he was not Sonic's voice back in 2000.

• Thumbs Up 2

Now this is bizarre, and I can tell you exactly why:

-First off, yes, those two lines were used for a talking Sonic plush, promoted as part of the Sonic X toy line (there was also a Tails one which, likewise, spoke Amy Palant dialogue).

-These resin figures were made for Toy Islands old Sonic Adventure line, yes. BUT, they were later reissued as Sonic X toys in 2005(ish) (the toys themselves look exactly the same, they just have Sonic X packaging).

-So by that logic, you're probably thinking "oh, so this is just the Sonic X reissue. Mystery solved!" ...actually, mystery NOT solved. I own this figure also, and I got it via the Sonic X reissues. And believe or not, the figure still use Sonic Adventures dialogue! Both phrases are Ryan Drummond lines.

So either this is an even later *third* reissue where they changed the voice box, or a fan mod.

By the way, I also have the Tails resin from the same line/reissue, and that too uses Sonic Adventure recordings.

• Thumbs Up 1

Isn't Roger's Sonic voice a lot lower than that though? Is the mic just not doing a good job picking it up?

As somebody who owns the plush those bits where used for, I can confirm that is definitely Jason.

I also recognise the lines from Sonic X itself ("As long as there's somewhere to run..." is from episode 51)

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a 2005 re-release by FEVA as part of their Sonic X range. That's why the voice is different. 

They released them originally with Sonic Adventure voice clips, then they re-released them with Sonic X voice clips.

There are also plushies which use the same voice clips. 

So you have one set of figures using Ryan, the other use Jason. They did it with every figure in the set, not just Sonic. 

... ... At least that's what my girlfriend just told me. 

Edit: Fun fact, they would also release these figures again using broken stock! They removed the voice stuff, but left the button in.

39 minutes ago, Hogfather said:

It's a 2005 re-release by FEVA as part of their Sonic X range. That's why the voice is different. 

They released them originally with Sonic Adventure voice clips, then they re-released them with Sonic X voice clips.

There are also plushies which use the same voice clips.

But...I just said, I have the Sonic and Tails figures from the reissued line, and they still have the SA voice clips.

So, what, were their alternate models out there? Were they different depending on the territory? We're the Sonic X versions reissued again with different voices?

Yeah there's two lots of the figures, they look identical, the only way to tell the difference is to play the voice clips, they were available in Woolworths in 2005, it was random as to which you got due to how they stocked them in store, but production wise, there was a few months difference. 

She got one, then went to someone elses house months later who had the exact same figure, the voices were different, so she went to Wollworths and pressed the button on different ones, some had Ryan, others had Jason.

Toy Island released them as a Sonic Adventure line in 2000 in the US.

FEVA re-released them as a Sonic X set in 2005. The figures are still dated 2000 and the only difference is the packaging. They then re-released them AGAIN not long after (talking within months, if even that long) with Sonic X voice clips that were also used in their plushies. There was no way to tell the difference unless you pressed them. They were mixed together on the shelves with no visible difference.

There was then a third budget re-release from FEVA a while after that was marketed as a collectable figure rather than talking, and it was the same figures without the voice clips and the button was moulded solid.

Their plushies also came in two identical looking variations with the two sets of voice clips.

Can confirm this all 100% as I purchased all of them new from Woolworths and Toys R Us at the time. All in the UK which I'm quite sure was the only place the FEVA variations were originally sold.

Edit: Same also goes for the Tails and Knuckles figures in the lines, not just Sonic.

Yeah, it's not Roger Craig Smith, it's definitely Ryan and Jason. And it's definitely a Sonic X Re-release. As I too have this same figure and I bought it new at the time

• 4 years later...

The fact these same voice clips were used for a talking plush that was released as far back as 2005 (I know because I’ve owned it since then) should be enough to tell you that is Jason in both clips.

EDIT: in fact I can now tell you exactly which Sonic X episode the “last chance” line is from; episode 50.