Awoo.

Hero of Legend's thread of YouTube gameplay videos and feedback

Hero of Legend

Over the last few years I've dipped my toe into the world of YouTube LP's (Let's Plays) and just gameplay footage as a whole.

Examples of my work:

And I also have some very recent commentary experience as part of last year's Nintendothon. The three videos I was in were:

And the last is just me and Donnie:

I sort of went on a bit of a hiatus but now I want to go back to recording more stuff. But I'd like some feedback and some answers to some questions to help decide how to do things.

1. Do you prefer to watch a YouTube video in 1080p or are perfectly fine with 720p as a max?

2. For standard definition games, do you prefer they be recorded in blown-up 1080p or 720p? Can be a different answer than 1.

3. Any interest in longplays where I put up a whole game in a single video?

4. And also, do you prefer longplays or split parts?

5. Adding to that, what length should a part be for you guys? I usually think 30 minutes is a nice balance.

6. Thoughts on commentary? As in, do you prefer none, or me providing any?

7. Adding to that, would you be happiest with both a non-commentary upload and a commentary upload of the same video?

8. 60fps (which is only achievable in uploads 720p and over) is very important to me, but what about you?

9. Adding to that, this bit would need to ditch true 60fps, in favor of "fake 60fps" (blending two frames together to basically get 60fps in a 30fps video) that can be viewed in 480p, as this video I did shows:

Your thoughts? Any preference?

10. Finally, back to the commentary, what do you think of mine in the Nintendothon videos above?

That's basically it.

Hopefully you like my work so far and I'm hoping to get more content up soon enough. :)

I normally don't really care for Let's play types of videos, but I am curious to know what your intentions are with all this, both small and big. Like do you have any plans to improve as a person and not all this "frame rate" stuff? (no seriously its like asking your audience "do you perfer good quality or bad quality?") Basically I feel LP's lack creativity due to their limited format, even with edits involved, it needs to be thought out very VERY carefully!

But yeah, intentions? Both small and big?

I tried watching a bit of the Yoshi one...and it just comes off as bland, like you don't talk much and there is very little effort to make it engaging in any way. (also no commentary? What is the point in that?!)

I don't expect to get a legit answer considering you've been doing this for a couple years, so you probably don't think about it very much. I actually expect a "well, ya know, I just do it for fun! For the faaaaans" or that sort of thing of that nature. Not really unique or inspiring if you ask me.

...but hey, to each their own, and hopefully you give a good responce that will challenge what I said. Or don't I don't really care at this point, this isn't really the website to bash people for having a hobby now is it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course I intend to improve where I can. :)

It's why I want feedback, so that I can find out what areas I need to improve on. And a lot of the questions are more about how much folks value 1080p viewing as processing 1080p videos take a lot longer and of course come in larger file-sizes.

Non-commentary is very useful when you just want to watch the game in all its glory without anyone talking over it. I myself generally mostly watch non-commentary stuff, only sometimes watching commentary videos and usually only by folks I already like like Hellfirecomms for example.

Sorry the commentary was bland. :( I was really tired, I think all three were recorded in the middle of the night.

Intentions here again is just to get feedback. I haven't gotten much of it and I'm always eager to hear any suggestions or constructive criticisms (as in, polite ;)) so I can find out what improvements I need to make.

I'm not aiming to be the next You/tube celebrity, I started making videos because I just wanted to record high-quality videos of games that barely have any on YouTube.

I hope that answers your questions, and thanks for asking them! :)

...Most likely because there is not much to say. Like I said earlier, posting gameplay videos isn't very hard or unique. Maybe if you suggested a collaboration, or were asking a more direct/literal question regarding feedback rather than "What am I doing wrong/how can I "generally" improve?".

Heck even when I post important stuff here, there isn't a garantee that it will get attention, best way to do so is to post something that actively encourages feedback, even if its just a little bit. Our conversation died, for instance, for that exact reason. (For obvious reasons not everyone is going to take the time to respond like I am.) Don't give up though, there is multiple places you can try to get attention besides this website...I mean, personally speaking, your better off doing that as well! :)