Awoo.

The SSMB 100

Patticus

Hey, I voted Day of the Tentacle, don't blame me!

Sowwi Jake, you know I can't stay mad at you.

Also, slightly disappointed my Top Pick didn't quite make the Top 10, but considering how often Super Mario Bros 3. seems to get overlooked in favour of the SNES games, I suppose I should be pretty pleased it got to where it did.

Also, without naming names - over the last three or four days, I've been constantly amazed at some games that are far, far higher than I would have credited them. Nothing to do with their age or generation - just that a few of these I've played and didn't see as anything particuarly special. Good yes, but certainly not Top 50 games ever.

I'm tempted to take bets on how many Sonic games we're getting in the Top 10 - I'm gonna agree with Superlink and say 4, but I don't want to try and figure out their placement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit what Unleashed this high? I didn't vote for it myself and I don't really agree (it's a damn good game but not best thing ever material)

I don't want to be pedantic, but it isn't the best thing ever. It went in at number 17, so it's the 17th best thing ever. A whopping 16 different games are better than Unleashed, and there's probably at least 4 more Sonic games that have been voted into higher places. What's the problem?

Edited by Major Ziggy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I loved Half Life, but I hated Zen so much that I didn't even vote for it. Half Life 2 got plenty of love on my list, though.

Also, how the hell high did my favorite game go?! Jeeze, I was thinking 50s tops, and now its in the top 10!

I don't want to be pedantic, but it isn't the best thing ever. It went in at number 17, so it's the 17th best thing ever. A whopping 16 different games are better than Unleashed, and there's probably at least 4 more Sonic games that have been voted into higher places. What's the problem?

It beat out 80+ games that are better?[/omgdrama]

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Subjective though this is, there are hundreds of games better than Unleashed.

But this is what the SSMB members voted for. They thought 16 other games are better than Unleashed, so why is everyone getting all annoyed about the high placing of Unleashed? This is a Sonic forum, and the general view is that Sonic Unleashed is the best 3D Sonic game since Adventure 2.

See, this Sonic fandom is so unfathomable. You can't make sense of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see what you are getting at. Are you saying Flint does not have the right to complain that a mediocre 3D platformer made it into the top 20 of a best games list organized by an inherently biased group of voters at the expense of several dozen other better games? Because, you know, its entirely possible that he didn't vote for it.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't see what you are getting at. Are you saying Flint does not have the right to complain that a mediocre 3D platformer made it into the top 20 of a best games list organized by an inherently biased group of voters at the expense of several dozen other better games? Because, you know, its entirely possible that he didn't vote for it.

There's the problem. This is a Sonic forum. The wrong kind of place to have a chart such as this. I didn't vote for Unleashed either FYI.

• Thumbs Up 1

Did you just totally ignore the rest of his post or something?

No I didn't. Tornado said Unleashed is up there because of a biased group of voters. That's the way it is because this is a Sonic forum. Of course this chart is going to be bias towards Sonic games. Isn't that obvious by now?

• Thumbs Up 1

Some Top Games That Missed The Top 100

• Castle Crashers
  • Tales Of Symphonia
  • Sonic & Knuckles (on its own)
  • Plants Vs. Zombies
  • ICO

Awww man. I voted S3&K down as two separate games. Sonic & Knuckles was my #2. But if S3&K is in there somewhere I guess it's good enough. I actually didn't vote any Sonic games post-1995.

ICO was my #16, a truly great game. What the Prince of Persia series should be today.

Edited by Badnikz
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whilst I may agree that Sonic Unleashed isn't best game ever material either, and it's #17 placing was largely down to the bias of most of SSMB's members, it hasn't exactly been given the best gave ever title because of it's #17 placing.

Flint's "not best game ever material" reaction was as if Sonic Unleashed was at #1. OK fair enough. What irks me a bit is there's a general sense of disbelief and disappointment that Sonic Unleashed is as high as #17, despite that it is generally viewed as the best Sonic game in recent years. At least that's what I thought.

I'm sorry I caused a row here. Opinions are opinions. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

1) It's not a problem nor did I ever imply it was a problem

2) It's in the top 20 of This Forum's Favourite Games Ever list. Using the hyperbole "best thing ever material" is perfectly alright here.

Are you saying Flint does not have the right to complain that a mediocre 3D platformer made it into the top 20 of a best games list organized by an inherently biased group of voters at the expense of several dozen other better games?

Don't put words in my mouth, boy. I'm not complaining about it - I'm simply (pleasantly) surprised. Nor do I personally find it mediocre at all, quite the opposite as I've enjoyed the game tremendously. Kudos for twisting my words to be the exact opposite that I meant!

Let's clear this up because people can't sodding read:

1) I like Unleashed. I like it a lot.

2) However, despite that I like it I would not rank it as one of my top games ever and thus did not include it in my list.

3) The fact that Unleashed is so high in the list despite being a recent game is surprising because normally a lot of Sonic fans are classicists who wank all over the 2D games while spew lol hatred over every single new addition to the series, and thus one - or I - would except that it wouldn't rank so high in the forum's top list.

4) The surprise, in my case, is indeed very pleasant as it shows that there still exists people that appreciate the series' more recent offerings, and quite highly as well.

THIS IS NOT HARD, GUYS.

Really, if you genuinely want me to complain about some game being in the list, it's that Fallout 3 is on the list while its vastly superior predecessors shine in their absence (and I have no optimism for them appearing in the top ten). But Sonic Unleashed being there is a-ok in my books even if I personally don't agree with its position. A stance that, you know, fits the majority of the list as well in my opinion cause only a small part of the official top 100 was in my list, except I'm not surprised (NOT DISAPPOINTED) by the presence of e.g. FF7 or Sonic CD.

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think you really are just being pedantic. Unleashed made it on the top 20 or so; what Flint said isn't a stretch by any means. I think he's aware that number 17 isn't number 1, "best material" is a flexible enough phrase to encompass a group of games, not just one.

What irks me a bit is there's a general sense of disbelief and disappointment that Sonic Unleashed is as high as #17, despite that it is generally viewed as the best Sonic game in recent years. At least that's what I thought.

Except:

but at the same time that's a really nice surprise, I mean I know this forum is filled with Sonic fanboys but to actually have the most recent title in the list this high is a great, great sign of optimism and not just being stuck with the 2D fiffle.

Yeah.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't put words in my mouth, boy. I'm not complaining about it - I'm simply (pleasantly) surprised. Nor do I personally find it mediocre at all, quite the opposite as I've enjoyed the game tremendously.

Fine. Let me rephrase my stance:

I am disappointed because Sonic Unleashed, a generally mediocre 3D platformer out of the entire large sea of 3D platformers, made it into the top 20 of a best games ever list; and I don't feel it even deserves to be on a top 100 list if games like Ico didn't even make it on. I also recognize the futility of pointing said fallacy, as popularity contests are won by the popular, rarely the best.

because normally a lot of Sonic fans are classicists who wank all over the 2D games while spew lol hatred over every single new addition to the series

No. Don't even start that.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

He can start whatever he wants. O: It is a Sonic forum after all!

Oh Sonic fans, getting so defensive amongst yourselves; even when somebody says something positive and uplifting about the series and fanbase itself, the Sonic fan inside you tells you to unleash the Sonic fan instinct that is RAGE.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fine. Let me rephrase my stance:

I am disappointed because Sonic Unleashed, a generally mediocre 3D platformer out of the entire large sea of 3D platformers, made it into the top 20 of a best games ever list; and I don\'t feel it even deserves to be on a top 100 list if games like Ico didn\'t even make it on.

Good! See, you can make your point just fine without twisting someone else\'s words to the complete opposite!

I also recognize the futility of pointing said fallacy, as popularity contests are won by the popular, rarely the best.

Good on you son, I'm proud of you *pat pat*.

No. Don\'t even start that.

I\'m not, hence the edit job I did because I figured it would be boring to go through another wankery about that subject, and which you missed because it wasn\'t finished by the time you finished your post.

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 1

Gotta say that although I myself am a little disappointed that Unleashed made it this high, I completely agree with what Flint is saying. It was a "nice surprise" I guess to see that so many people had faith in SU. It deserves at least some of it.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Kudos for twisting my words to be the exact opposite that I meant!
Good! See, you can make your point just fine without twisting someone else's words to the complete opposite!

Regardless of if you believe me or not, it was not intentional. I merely inferred your point based on what Major Ziggy quoted.

• Thumbs Up 1

Way too many insects out and about. xP

I think a good debate can be fun anyway. Way more fun than insects.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's only 40 minutes to go until the Top Ten arrive! And with that little piece of utterly useless news, here's another

Five Great Games That You Didn't Love Quite Enough To Vote For

• No One Lives Forever
  • Tombi
  • Rock Band
  • Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
  • Ikaruga

ssmbunranking2.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1