Awoo.

The SSMB 100

Patticus

I don't understand why not liking many PC games is any more of a crime than not liking games from any other machine.

It's not a matter of that, it's simply because this is a highly console-oriented message board and therefore seeing PC-exclusive games would not only be very surprising but also very groovy for diversity's sake.

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 1

THE SSMB 100

The general idea here is to get you, the membership of the SSMB, to compile lists of your Top 25 Videogames and PM them to me (I will only accept PMs!). From these lists, I shall work out The SSMB 100, a comprehensive list of the forum's favourite games!

In the lists, you'll need to have them in order. This thread is for discussion of the whole idea and lists people are working on should they post them.

I'm going to have two different tables when I collect and collate the results. One will use the point scheme that gives 7 points the top game, 5 points for two-five, 4 points for six-ten, 3 points for eleven-fifteen, 2 points for sixteen-twenty and 1 point for twenty-twentyfive. The other will award each game on the lists one point apiece. I'll make Top 100s from each table and post the games exclusive to each list (ie. all the ones not on both lists) on here so people can decide which list they want. I will also build up a third table that is less divisive.

Some stuff about game series':

- The Orange Box isn't one game! Please state either Half Life 2, Portal or Team Fortress.

- Half Life 2 includes Episodes One and Two

- Likewise, expansion packs go with their original games.

- Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Diamond/Pearl/Platinum all go under the generation of their release: Gen 1 = R/B/Y/ | Gen 2 = G/S/C/ | Gen 3: R/S/E/FR/LG | Gen 4: D/P/Pt/HG/SS

- FIFA, PES, ISS and Sensible Soccer games all go under the same game.

- Rock Band 1 & 2 fall under the one game.

- Guitar Heroes 1, 2 and Legends of Rock will all be under Guitar Hero apart from World Tour which stands alone.

- All Tetris games are lumped together.

- Votes for remakes like Resi on the GC and Twin Snakes will count as a vote for the original.

- Different versions of the same game, e.g. Street Fighter 2, Hyper Fighting, Turbo HD Remix etc, come under the same game name.

The event runs from July 27th until August 7th. Results will be posted on August 9th.

GO!

If successful you may expect the SSMB 100 to cover movies, TV shows and more in the future.

Fixed the Pokemon list for ya and I see what you did thar(For Street Fighter 2).

• Thumbs Up 1

PSI that was probably the least necessary post I've ever seen in my life. First of all voting is over....Second if you're voting for FireRed/Leafgreen, it still means you're voting for a remake of the first game. "Votes for remakes like Resi on the GC and Twin Snakes will count as a vote for the original."

Plus HeartGold and SoulSilver aren't even out....how would anyone have voted for them?

• Thumbs Up 2

Even if I did think that was a better way to do it (and I don't), the sheer amount of time I'd be spending re-calculating votes and going through every single list given to me would mean I wouldn't bother changing anything anyway. It's just a bit of fun and it'd stress me the fuck out, even moreso than the two low-ranking games I accidentally wiped from the listings through accidental button mis-pressings (one had 5 points and 1 vote, the other 6 points and 2 votes, neither close to the top hundred). For whatever reason, Office 2000's Excel doesn't let you undo a CTRL + Y paste (I didn't even know it could do that before yesterday) that brings the next listing up down into the cell... fucking thing.

Also, PSI, your list was way too late, it will not be counted. You really should've read my post properly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so starting tonight at midnight and carrying on for ten days or so we'll have our countdown of the official SSMB 100 Videogames as voted for by you, the SSMB public. Some reveals may be longer or shorter than ten if there are many titles with the exact same numbers of votes and points, but it evens out as we get closer to the top twenty or so.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's just a bit of fun and it'd stress me the fuck out, even moreso than the two low-ranking games I accidentally wiped from the listings through accidental button mis-pressings (one had 5 points and 1 vote, the other 6 points and 2 votes, neither close to the top hundred).

Why do I have the sudden feeling of dread that one of them was mine?

• Thumbs Up 1

Why do I have the sudden feeling of dread that one of them was mine?

If I don't post any of the games that didn't make the top hundred, nobody will know and I won't get any stick for it. Hehe.

I don't even remember what games were deleted, if I did it'd be a simple matter of manually re-instering them. I could spend a few hours meticulously re-counting every vote in every PM but that's a waste of time for what are essentially two non-ranking games that nobody's going to see anyway.

So, the order of events is thus:

Sun, Aug 9th: Joint 96th (There are 10 of them, marking the boundary betwixt the rankers and non-rankers)

Mon, Aug 10th: 92-84

Tue, Aug 11th: 80-71

Wed, Aug 12th: 69-61

Thurs, Aug 13th: 56-51

Fri, Aug 14th: 50-41

Sat, Aug 15th: 40-31

Sun, Aug 16th: 30-21

Mon, Aug 17th: 20-11

Tue, Aug 18th: 10-1

• Thumbs Up 1

When your posting the results, are you going to edit them into the first post in the topic or simply add them in a new post?

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll do both so that no matter where you navigate, you should get to see them. Feel free to discuss the latest as they come in. No bitching, the results were compiled entirely from all your votes, so you only have yourselves to blame. ;)

Ashurbanipal, you are truly a massive cocktease.

For shame.

It bodes well to me that the event is generating actual suspense.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm good so long as a GTA game isn't number one.

*shot*

Around here it's a safe bet that that's not possible.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't even remember what games were deleted, if I did it'd be a simple matter of manually re-instering them. I could spend a few hours meticulously re-counting every vote in every PM but that's a waste of time for what are essentially two non-ranking games that nobody's going to see anyway.

Ah. Forgot about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay folks, here it is, a little later than planned but all as voted by you. I am very proud to present the start of

The SSMB 100: JOINT 96TH

• 96 | 7 pts | Resistance: Fall of Man
  • 96 | 7 pts | Megaman 9
  • 96 | 7 pts | Thief: Deadly Shadows
  • 96 | 7 pts | Soul Calibur
  • 96 | 7 pts | Burnout 3: Takedown
  • 96 | 7 pts | Guilty Gear XX
  • 96 | 7 pts | Snowboard Kids
  • 96 | 7 pts | Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  • 96 | 7 pts | Megaman Zero 3
  • 96 | 7 pts | Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time

ssmb96.jpg

Tomorrow: 92-84

It gets more exciting, I promise!

• Thumbs Up 1

Now, most of these I have to admit I've never played. Soul Calibur I was never any good at, but it was fun to play. Mario and Luigi was fun, but I just can't finish the darn thing. XD I have to say though, I expected Thief to be higher placed than this, it's one of the classic stealthy game series'.

• Thumbs Up 1

Glad to see MGS2 just managed to get in there. I'm not to sure about seeing any other burnout games though, I found that 3 was probably the best overall. So far so good.

• Thumbs Up 1

Owww one of mine got on there... I voted Resistance Fall of Man. Quite suprised at Metal Gear Solid 2 however. Not ever heard of Snowboard Kids though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Around here it's a safe bet that that's not possible.

Thank God.

Eheeeey, Megaman Zero 3 =D Safe to say I was the only one who nominated it.

Edited by Vasco
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't expecting to see 2 Megaman games this soon, especially not a Zero title!

I guess you chose 96 'cos it was midway between 92 and 100? Surprised MGS2 wasn't higher up.

• Thumbs Up 1