Awoo.

N64 Apreciation, Discussion, and collecting Thread

Mando-Whirl-Wind

Wound up with a Ice Blue N64 with Expnsion pack, it works great, got a standard and Plus(4page) memory packs, and a full 4 controllers in good shape. So say hello to my complete game collection, which oddly enough wound up at exactly 40. More or less done unless I find a rare

0eUDqaH.jpg

Anyone got any thoughts on any of these? also it's a big image, click on it for a better look

• 1 month later...

Hm, was considering doing a last hurrah since Gamestop has a few games I want in stock, and I can afford them for the moment, though these would be my last pickups for a while. So anyone got thoughts on:

Quest 64; Body Harvest; Mortal Kombat 4, Chameleon Twist; Bust-A-Move '99; Cruis'n USA; and/or Gauntlet Legends 64?

8 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Body Harvest

This is the only one I've played out of all the ones you listed, so I'll talk about that.

It's kind of like a sandbox game in scope, so it needs to be said that you'll get lost a lot. I remember back when I was younger it wasn't unheard of to be stuck on a single mission for weeks at a time because I couldn't figure out where exactly the game wanted me to go to remove or bypass some arbitary roadblocks in the way of the boss. But I never really hated it for it? I feel like replaying the same mission over and over should've gotten annoying, but in a way it kinda feels like that's what they were designed for, and every time you try you learn just a little bit more about what you're doing and some things just kinda click later in the game once you learn the thought process behind it.

That being said I never actually finished it. It also happens that the game can get really fucking hard. Good luck with that.

On January 18, 2016 at 10:12 PM, Blacklightning said:

You know, one thing that always irked me about the N64 is that most of the games off memory - especially the multiplayer ones - had a tendency to run really slowly, sometimes to the point of sub-15fps. What is it with N64 games and really bad optimization? Is there some kind of hardware bottleneck I never heard about?

That's not to say there weren't plenty of great games in spite of it. Some of my more obscure personal picks would be Duke Nukem: Zero Hour and Body Harvest (though I never finished the latter thanks to a crazy strict timed sequence), and Perfect Dark/Conker's Bad Fur Day were always fun romps when you had mates around to play with.

Yeah, the 64 was a hard system to program on, also had an issue where the CPU had to go through the graphics/sound processor to access system ram, and it used rambus rdram, which has higher latencies on top of that. 

Really, the PlayStation was the only console that was easy to develop for out of its generation. 

Look this stuff up again reminded me of the expansion pack, apparently Donkey Kong 64 requires it not because it's too demanding a game to run without it, but because it has a random crash bug that occurred in the non expansion pack mode that they weren't able to track down. 

Man, a Nintendo 64 controller has to be one of the most confusing things you can hand someone, even more so than something that they know nothing about. It has clear handholds but there's too many and it's very confusing what you're supposed to do with them. 

Best feature of the 64 has to be it being the first console to have four controller ports built in. Great for playing games with friends. 

• Thumbs Up 1