Awoo.

YouTube to block UK music videos

Patticus

<Spicylicious> ...people in the UK won't be able to watch any music video.

None owned by Warner. Non-Warner music labels (MoTown/Universal, for example) should be fine unless they too cannot agree on payment.

No, they are talking any music video (at least, those officially endorsed), not just WMG's. The issue is not with the record labels; it's with the composers/writers.

Edited by Spikeda

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ming Ming Hatsune

• Gabz Girl

• Patticus

• Dreadknux

No, they are talking any music video (at least, those officially endorsed), not just WMG's. The issue is not with the record labels; it's with the composers/writers.

Ones with deals with Warner, yes, as it was Warner they clashed with in this instance. Other labels like Universal will be fine for the time being.

I was thinking if YouTube is selfishly going to block every music video actually. D=

Aww this totally sucks, big time! >: Why does it have to happen to the UK of all places -_- Oh well, all the retro game music and Japanese anime music I listen to still works, so I'm happy!

Edited by S o n i c

I guess this has now started to take place, have had "this video is not available in your country" whining all morning.

It's official. YouTube has blocked ALL music videos today for the UK. My cyber friend who lives in the UK was really upset about it. Now he has to go somewhere else. DX

Edited by Spicylicious

It's official. YouTube has blocked ALL music videos today for the UK. My cyber friend who lives in the UK was really upset about it. Now he has to go somewhere else. DX

Not all. I can still get some, though they're usually the slightly less popular ones

Every uploaded music video now of course will be blocked by YouTubers in the UK as well.

Edited by Spicylicious

Does anyone know anywhere else that I can go and illegally watch/rip the music from todays current bands and kid crazes? Like Jimmy and the Jims? Or Harry McQuire and the Sunshine Club?

Spotify maybe? j/k

Um...actually I don't know. YouTube is the only place I go to/know for watching music vids. DX

Edited by Spicylicious

Ah shit, you're right, I can't go anywhere! T^T They've even blocked songs by Universal. I mean WTF?! That's it, I'm gonna move to the US! B/

Maybe it doesn't count though 'cos it's not a real music video, har har.

You still listen to that every now and then Gabz? XD

But I can't blame you...it's a good song...I was even singing that when it was raining last week. XP

None owned by Warner. Non-Warner music labels (MoTown/Universal, for example) should be fine unless they too cannot agree on payment.

Btw Harhan, looks like I was right. XP

Edited by Spicylicious

Youtube will want to get this mess sorted and quick, I can't even begin to imagine the money they've lost so far.

At least we still have

You still listen to that every now and then Gabz? XD

But I can't blame you...it's a good song...I was even singing that when it was raining last week. XP

Yush. It's an old song but...damn, what a classic. <3

I can't watch the music video anymore though, of the remixed version. .3. I can however listen to just the song whilst a slideshow of pictures of George Sampsons is shown. XP

Siriku, they own Linkin Park! Linkin Park! Think of the children who won't get to see Linkin Park!!!!1!!one

D:

Linkin Park....

This is f%#@in' war man!

nuke-war-h001.jpg

Youtube will want to get this mess sorted and quick, I can't even begin to imagine the money they've lost so far.

At least we still have

Actually...they are saving money if you think about it. PRS were demanding a ridiculous amount of money from YouTube/Google and they don't want to spend that kind of money. So YouTube got mad at PRS and instead of blocking one music label's videos, they blocked all. (Well except for the less popular ones hardly anyone knows about...)

Yush. It's an old song but...damn, what a classic. <3

I can't watch the music video anymore though, of the remixed version. .3. I can however listen to just the song whilst a slideshow of pictures of George Sampsons is shown. XP

There's a remixed version? o.O

Ah, explains :P. I don't really watch music videos anyway unless I'm really bored and put on a music channel (that's either TMF / Virgin / 4Music on freeview lololol) And even then I prefer DAB :P.

Linkin Park....

This is f%#@in' war man!

http://www.treehugger.com/nuke-war-h001.jpg

You know what I do when I like a group's music? I support them by paying full whack for their albums, so I legally am entitled to listen to their music at any time and at any place. Crazy idea, I know, but hey, I'm just a lunatic aren't I.

Actually...they are saving money if you think about it. PRS were demanding a ridiculous amount of money from YouTube/Google and they don't want to spend that kind of money. So YouTube got mad at PRS and instead of blocking one music label's videos, they blocked all. (Well except for the less popular ones hardly anyone knows about...)

I don't think they're saving as much money as they want people to think.

Think about it, how many times do you go onto youtube to look for something, and then click another video? Either in the options after the video ends, or in the side bar on the right? You go to youtube with the intention of finding one item... but usually end up looking at several.

I know I do it when I'm looking for something, especially if I want a better quality one.

With the music video stuff, they had the advertising revenue from the official vids, then they had the advertising revenue from the smaller unofficial uploads that they allow. But if nobody is looking for music vids because theyre isn't any. Where does all this advertising revenue come from? Most of it will need to be refunded since the outlet is no longer active.

Then theres the decrease in people going onto the smaller unofficial vids.... it's quickly going to add up.

You know what I do when I like a group's music? I support them by paying full whack for their albums, so I legally am entitled to listen to their music at any time and at any place. Crazy idea, I know, but hey, I'm just a lunatic aren't I.

First off, It was a joke. Chill out.

Second off, not allowing an entire country to listen or even stream music videos or listen is censorship. I'm American and I wouldn't like it if the U.K. censored all the Beetles's songs(What can I say? I love my John Lennon).

Finally,this has nothing to do with buying their albums. This has to do with Warner being greedy. Last time I checked the musicians aren't suffering and the industry isn't falling apart because people choose to watch their videos on the internet.

P.S. I have every Linkin Park album including the stuff they make only for Linkin Park Underground. I think I'm entitled to watch their videos on youtube if I please. <_<

Edited by turbojet

not allowing an entire country to listen or even stream music videos or listen is censorship.

It's the music industry withdrawing its licenses from the site until payment agreements can be reached.

(What can I say? I love my John Lenin).

lenin.jpg

Finally,this has nothing to do with buying their albums. This has to do with Warner being greedy. Last time I checked the musicians aren't suffering and the industry isn't falling apart because people choose to watch their videos on the internet.

I know it's not to do with buying their albums, but you're hardly being cut off from their music by YouTube having to block access to their videos if you have (or have the potential to have) their albums.

It's the music industry withdrawing its licenses from the site until payment agreements can be reached.

I know it's not to do with buying their albums, but you're hardly being cut off from their music by YouTube having to block access to their videos if you have (or have the potential to have) their albums.

Warner Brothers have a history of cutting off their music from internet sites abdrubtly. They have been doing so for years and the mere fact that they keep increasing the price of their product(s) to the internet shows that they are just greedy bastards.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9962249-7.html

Hardly being cut off from their music? You think they are just doing this to youtube?

WMG formerly had an arrangement with YouTube for royalties to be paid according to the number of views that WMG artists received.

Thats not a fair negotiation. Linkin Park had almost a billion views for What I've Done. Now imagine what would happen if you had to pay 150 grand per 50,000 viewers. It quite obvious that they are making more off the internet than people buying CDs. I know that WMG is not the only music company that does this. Now not only does having the music on youtube promote the artist, but it allows the video to be viewed many times. When was the last time MTV actually showed a series of music videos during the daytime. Artists benifit greatly from youtube. Yet these assholes pull the plug. Face it. They are just stamping their feet and crying for more money.

Edited by turbojet