Awoo.

Great Detective Pikachu: Now sightly less horrfying

Klinsy

Remember that motion captured Pikachu video that scared the shit out of everybody 3 years ago?

Well, it looks like those nightmares weren't for nothing after all, the game it's for is finally coming out.

Coming out next week on the Japaneses Eshop,  you team up with Pikachu to solve mysteries, ooh and Pikachu can talk.

Last time we heard about this game, there was apparently a evil talking Blue Pikachu too.

Fitting, this thing is still a total mystery.

• Thumbs Up 7

I like this. It looks really interesting and even hilarious. I'm anxious to see more with any gameplay we get from the Japanese release.

Will it be like a Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton kind of deal? I wonder.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Baraksha said:

actually a more important question, why pokemon?!

...When you put it that way, it is actually quite a good question.  Maybe the answer is simply "Why not?"  Or perhaps they wanted to find other ways of enriching the Pokemon world; just seeing Pokemon around on the streets like normal animals in the trailer really makes me want to see more of that sort of thing in the main games.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

...When you put it that way, it is actually quite a good question.  Maybe the answer is simply "Why not?"  Or perhaps they wanted to find other ways of enriching the Pokemon world; just seeing Pokemon around on the streets like normal animals in the trailer really makes me want to see more of that sort of thing in the main games.

Dont they occasionally pop up in the over world in the main series anyways

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

mmm, true, honestly this doesn't look to bad. but I also want to ask did they really had to use pikachu for this one? I mean yeah he's the mascot of the series and all, but I feel like there is a much suitable choise out there and besides pikachu is everywhere already, then again I might be wrong

Some very Western-looking official art.

jFsTVLG.jpg

I'm not sure what to think about this. Maybe it'll be alright? It's just such a weird setup, but I'm actually really curious. 

• Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, FFWF said:

This is about Pokemon, you mention those exact words and don't show this guy?!?

9d35413e57a69357d9564dc25c465676.jpg

...sorry, I couldn't help myself...

When my brother suddenly told me about this today, my head pictured a more Pokemon central story like the Mystery Dungeon games. "Who murdered Charizard?"

The series is known for being more family friendly so it probably won't go in that direction, but it does make me wonder what direction they'd take. Most crime based entertainment contains some very dark stuff. I'd fear it would be about cheesy stuff like "who stole timmy's candy" or some such thing...

Doesn't really matter to me though, since it's different and I do enjoy a good mystery.

It's just a shame. Shinichi Kudou was turned into a child first and now he's turned into Pikachu??

• Thumbs Up 1

I kept thinking about this being Disney's The Great Mouse Detective: Pokemon Edition.

Why do I now want to see a Raticate being voiced by a Vincent Price sound alike?

This is weird...

Like, a good weird. I dunno, the concept of having a talking Detecive Pikachu would seem super stupid, but it looks so charming that I can't help but want it!

Considering how many Pokemon can talk in the Pokemon universe, the idea of a talking detective Pikachu doesn't really seem weird. But yeah, reminds me of professor Layton, interested to see this in English.

Judging from the clip near the end of the trailer where Detective Pikachu interacts with what sounds like a regular Pikachu, it seems entirely possible that the detective's level of sapience is intentionally unusual.  Certainly I think the disparity between its appearance and deep, deep voice must be deliberate.

This is looking really rather interesting! I'm with the majority who thought the original reveal of this (was it really 3 years ago?!) looked pretty weird and horrifying, and I genuinely thought it had been scrapped - so to see it pop up again, in a much more intriguing and polished form, is quite the pleasant surprise!

Detective Pikachu himself looks really nifty with his deerstalker hat... and damn that voice is smooth. He's one cool customer, that's for sure. His partnership with the human companion and the interactions with other Pokemon in the real world look like they could have a lot of potential, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on how this pans out. If only we just knew a little bit more about how the game actually works...!

All I can hope is that it gets a good reception in Japan next week and that it subsequently comes over to the West! Pika pika!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

Judging from the clip near the end of the trailer where Detective Pikachu interacts with what sounds like a regular Pikachu, it seems entirely possible that the detective's level of sapience is intentionally unusual.  Certainly I think the disparity between its appearance and deep, deep voice must be deliberate.

It's really no different then Meowth in the Pokemon anime if you ask me. This guy just likes to swag it up a bit lol

Yeah I'm with most of you guys in just how weird and bizarre this looks and feels, but not in a negative way, it's charming and fresh at the same time. The premise sounds fun, sure it's not what you'd usually think for Pokémon. But it's just a spin-off, I like how it's described as a cinematic adventure game. It really looks like a movie with all the cutscenes. The promotional image even kinda looks like a movie poster.

And yeah that smexy voice lol. It kills me everytime. It's so cool but hilarious xP

Btw if you haven't already check this screenshot:

A lady with a furfrou , and oh...what an interesting expression Detective Pikachu... what are you looking at buddy?

pikadetective2_zpsku4b2lvr.png

...sorry couldn't resist.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd have sworn that from the look, setting, and music, that Level 5 had a hand in this. Interestingly very western-inspired. Perhaps a Pikachu Sherlock Holmes story/setting of sorts?

Either way, this better be coming out west too!

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Mightyray said:

Man that Pikachu's japanese voice sounds so out of place.... 

Reminds me when Pikachu spoke during the first Mystery Dungeon anime special (only heard the dub and still wishing that it get its own series btw) and it caught me off guard to hear Tracy's voice coming out. However, this seemed a bit stranger with the whole hard boiled detective.

Hahaha this game looks mega weird. But a good kind of weird because I really want to play it now. XD

Detective Pikachu's voice is so low tho. Wonder what his English voice will be like?

1 hour ago, Gabz Girl said:

Hahaha this game looks mega weird. But a good kind of weird because I really want to play it now. XD

Detective Pikachu's voice is so low tho. Wonder what his English voice will be like?

Steven Blum or Bust.

...Well, either him or Patrick Warburton or Jon H. Benjamin.

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Steven Blum or Bust.

...Well, either him or Patrick Warburton or Jon H. Benjamin.

Ehh, I really don't want to imagine Pikachu with Patrick Warburton's voice. It wouldn't fit his character choice role voice acting ditzy muscular guys. 
I don't know what voice actor they'd give him in the US though. I really didn't imagine him to have a deep voice. 

I didn't see any gameplay in the trailer, but i'm curious to see what's gonna go down.