Awoo.

Great Detective Pikachu: Now sightly less horrfying

Klinsy

Speculation  of a Boston setting is as hand! 

www.destructoid.com/detective-pikachu-appears-to-be-set-in-boston-337282.phtml

Detective Pikachu appears to be set in Boston

5 hours ago - 7:30 AM on 01.28.2016 // Laura Kate Dale

337282-DetectivePika.jpg

Pikachu would probably get wrecked

Detective Pikachu is a weird thing that will soon exist. Pikachu the Pokémon travels around the human world, speaking our languages and solving our crimes. It's an unexpected turn for the franchise for sure.

Perhaps weirder still, it seems that Pikachu is walking around the streets of Boston.

While this probably isn't the canon setting for the game, I do love the idea of Pikachu settling down at the end of a hard day on the beat for some clam chowder. That is literally my only reference point for Bostonian culture, so try not to hate me in the comments.

Thanks to Boston's favourite son, Jonathan Holmes, for pointing this out to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently he also can't use Pokemon attacks.  Both provide more fuel for the theory that he's a human transformed into a Pikachu somehow.  I'm not sure if I prefer that or him just being a random Pikachu who happens to have human intelligence for no reason.

10 minutes ago, FFWF said:

Apparently he also can't use Pokemon attacks.  Both provide more fuel for the theory that he's a human transformed into a Pikachu somehow.  I'm not sure if I prefer that or him just being a random Pikachu who happens to have human intelligence for no reason.

Well again, I point to Meowth in the anime. Human intelligence and he also can't use normal attacks like other Meowth's.

And it is a good example, it's just that I don't recall there being any precedent for it in the games themselves - where there is, on the other hand, precedent for a human turning into a Pokemon: Bill, Generation I.  So it seems to me that it could go either way.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if there is by any chance that the main Pokemon anime series will have a mini-arc or have a reference to this game? Or at least, get an OVA/specials like the Mystery Dungeon series.

So, someone went through the effort to show us how great this game would really be if Danny DeVito voiced Pikachu.

There's some language in there, just a warning.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm honestly not digging the idea of having a Pikachu voiced by Danny DeVito. I don't know why...

I don't know what I'm looking for in a Pikachu voice, though. It seems so surreal of an idea that I can't think of an english voice that would fit.

1 minute ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Gilbert Gottfried would be pretty amusing

Aflacachu

Iagochu

I'm imagining Meowth having that voice instead of Pikachu, honestly. XD

23 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

I'm honestly not digging the idea of having a Pikachu voiced by Danny DeVito. I don't know why...

It's mostly just people coming up with their own jokes suggestions for Pikachu's voice after hearing the deep Japanese one. Had it not been deep in Japanese, people wouldn't be asking for Danny DeVito. I think it's funny as a joke, but people making a petition to actually have it happen might be pushing it too far. I don't know, maybe he could actually do a good job, it would certainly be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, krazystitch said:

It's mostly just people coming up with their own jokes suggestions for Pikachu's voice after hearing the deep Japanese one. Had it not been deep in Japanese, people wouldn't be asking for Danny DeVito. I think it's funny as a joke, but people making a petition to actually have it happen might be pushing it too far. I don't know, maybe he could actually do a good job, it would certainly be interesting.

Who knows? I can see why people could enjoy that voice, but I honestly cannot get into it.

Wait... there's a petition?

59 minutes ago, Failinhearts said:

Who knows? I can see why people could enjoy that voice, but I honestly cannot get into it.

Wait... there's a petition?

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/detective-pikachu-fan-video-makes-the-case-for-dan/1100-6434316/

Yup, and it's reeled in quite  a lot of signatures as we speak!

I would like to hear someone who can come close to sounding like Bob Hoskins of Who Framed Roger Rabbit fame.

1 minute ago, AdventChild said:

I would like to hear someone who can come close to sounding like Bob Hoskins of Who Framed Roger Rabbit fame.

You mean the live action mario bros movie mario

You can watch the opening of the game! It's surprisingly...kinda dark?

rip in pasta pikachu's owner

EDIT: The game is actually now out in Japan. GameExplain is currently streaming the game.

Wait you seriously mean to tell me the game opens up with Pikachu's owner/trainer dying in a car accident?

1318563182913.jpg

• Thumbs Up 6

Pikachu also states (After the first case) to Tim that

Spoiler

he knows things about his father. It's basically been suggested that Tim's father may have been Pikachu's owner, and that Tim is probably not aware that his father died in a car accident.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Confirmed for the West:

Spoiler

I can't believe they really went with a Danny Devito-esque voice for Pikachu. lol, I love them for that.

There's also a mega-sized Amiibo, but I don't know what it does:

DTWJzVoXUAIVNu8.jpg

Box-art:

DTWQ0oRXUAA3uul.jpg

Japan and Europe get the yellow case. I wish they'd change the color of the 3DS banner in the front to match.

I thought it was strange that they were pursuing a western movie without having brought the game over, but it turns out they were working on it on the quiet this whole time.  I assume the gigantic amiibo is effectively a life-size Pikachu?  A bold move.  The game itself is rather a curiosity, but it's entertaining that they're not compromising even slightly on Pikachu's voice.

I like amiibo. I like big amiibo. So I'll buy this amiibo.

because im a toys to life slave.

Still, this is actually a Pokemon game I'm interested in playing, and no it's not because I've been playing a lot of Danganronpa and am used to mystery in games.

...okay, maybe a bit. But still, I'm interested in the whole story and I'm willing to drop some cash to see how it goes down. Gives me something to do with my 3DS instead of collect dust, too.