Awoo.

Fine Bros. Entertainment's REACTion Video Copyright Debacle

TCB

For those who don't know who the Fine Bros are, they are the producer/director duo who are the creators behind the 'React' series. You know, the ones where the elderly react to the darnest things under their banner and Youtube channel? No? Well moving on...

Well yesterday they made an announcement that basically to my knowledge grants other Youtubers license to produce their 'React' brand under 'React World'. 

This being the internet, it went about as well as you expect. 

Basically there are some out there who aren't too keen about this announcement, claiming that the Fine Bros are out to claim something that they didn't create on their own to begin with, the notion 'reaction videos'. One Reddit user, Austin_Rivers seem to be the one who's countering what the brothers are responding back with good points too. That and going through their list of copyrights, you can probably see where the real issue lie (copypasta'd from the original Reddit source for sake of ease):

• Teens React [Registered - 4371580]
  • Kids React [Registered- 4248447]
  • Elders React [Registered - 4371581]
  • Fine Brothers Entertainment
  • Adults React
  • Parents React
  • React ---- (Yes, seriously, just the word in a given context... I can't imagine this will hold)
  • Celebrities React
  • Do They Know It?
  • Lyric Breakdown
  • People vs. Technology
  • Try Not to Smile or Laugh

Once Reddit blew up about this news (and I mean blew up, accounts of the Bros snuffing out criticisms and the like abound), the Bros themselves made a reaction video TO the reactions on their Youtube channel, which is below:

Not only that, they posted their explanation (or damage control, depending on how you look at it) on Reddit and Facebook. Now, from what I see the criticisms lie with the Bros trying to stomp out the genre/notion of this form of entertainment, to trying to goad others using their services for their own monetary gain, to nearly everything in-between. Earlier today Cr1tiKal was none to pleased about his announcement too. Given how King gotten trademark rights of the word 'Saga' for use in their games and Sony foolishly trying the same with 'Let's Play' what is your take on this? 

Yeah, looks like the Fine Bros are getting a bit... egotistical? Does that make sense?

Reactions, and the reaction format is rather general and it's really stupid trying to copyright this sort of thing. Like @KHCast pointed out, it's like having Nintendo copyright platformers, or Activision copyrighting the Toys-To-Life concept.

• Thumbs Up 2

More like its like if Nintendo claimed certain actions and things done in a platformer. 

Lets use a different example. Let's say Activision puts a copyright on their "format" of FPS games. Like, things like terrorists, playing as super masculine American soldiers, big explosions, general stuff like that are copyrighted . Any game from that point that has any of the following would need to pay a fee to Activision to be used. Oh you can make a FPS, sure. Just can't have it have any of the engaging shit that they usually tend to have.

its a similar situation here.

kinda a similar situation with fine bros. the way the reaction video is presented is what's being copyrighted. The type of music, the question and answer thing, the way they show the people reacting, and the way stuff is edited/cut. 

So, as I understand it, they're basically trying to copyright a genre - to claim ownership over a style and set of practices which individually are spread incredibly commonly and collectively constitute a non-unique, non-distinct identity.  Not particularly impressed.  I can see why they would want to stop other people from doing what they perceive to be their "thing," but what they failed to consider is that their thing is not really all that special or unique.

• Thumbs Up 8

On 31/01/2016 at 11:10 PM, Failinhearts said:

Yeah, looks like the Fine Bros are getting a bit... egotistical? Does that make sense?

Reactions, and the reaction format is rather general and it's really stupid trying to copyright this sort of thing. Like @KHCast pointed out, it's like having Nintendo copyright platformers, or Activision copyrighting the Toys-To-Life concept.

Except that all the times we had massive copyright problems from say, Nintendo, Activision and even Google themselves, those were big fishes and no ammount of shitstorm on the net would stop them.

Fine Bros depend on the internet to survive, so to do this and do that shitty job of damage control is asking to get ripped appart by the very thing that put them in the place they are today, they're no Nintendo, without the internet they got nothing to back them up, so this egotism of theirs and their lazy attempt at trying to explain it will only end with them getting fucked really hard.

• Thumbs Up 5

The funny thing is, is that this has actually been demanded. As their community have grown, there's been a lot of demand for more international youtubers and such into their entourage. This is the result.

Due to their progressive image, there has been a latent amount haters surrounding them as they've touched upon issues in a very laid-back and mundane manner.

And I find it worrying that gamergaters now capitalizes on this to "soften" their image. (AlphaOmegaSin being one of them).

And, not to forget, they're under a contract with Nickelodeon, so the idea of expansion hasn't been foreign for them.

20 minutes ago, KHCast said:

So apparently they lost 10,000 subscribers. Jesus. And all their newest regular vids have more dislikes than likes.

I heard they lost 30k Subscribers actually.

God I feel bad for the kids and teens that were making their name from these guys. The actual content created was damn good and it getting caught in the middle of the crossfire along with the YouTubers,kids, teens,etc that were involved really sucks. Also, I hope those guys aren't getting attacked as well for what the FB are doing. That's just uncalled for.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually did like some of their stuff like the Don't Hug me I'm Scared stuff and the Shrek greentext story.  As for the people who are guests/regulars on the show, I haven't heard or seen anyone mention them in their rants.  It's just been towards the bros.

I don't want to be devil's advocate here, but isn't their shtick, and therefore their concept "Well-researched reactions with a diverse cast in a studio with a different set of props, backdrops, graphics and jingles based on each reacting demographic and the goal for every single thing is 'broad appeal'"?

As far as competition goes, I think only BuzzFeed have managed to make their reaction stuff as distinguishable from the Fine Bros stuff to become as huge as them.

I think it's a bit hilarious that the rants against their decision have all been unquestionably American. As if international expansion would leave them out in the cold for some reason.

1 hour ago, Inspector AMC/H&M said:

I don't want to be devil's advocate here, but isn't their shtick, and therefore their concept "Well-researched reactions with a diverse cast in a studio with a different set of props, backdrops, graphics and jingles based on each reacting demographic and the goal for every single thing is 'broad appeal'"?

As far as competition goes, I think only BuzzFeed have managed to make their reaction stuff as distinguishable from the Fine Bros stuff to become as huge as them.

I think it's a bit hilarious that the rants against their decision have all been unquestionably American. As if international expansion would leave them out in the cold for some reason.

Problem is, they want to copyright the concept of a video where you react to anything, we have cases of people receiving claims and strikes from Fullscreen on their reaction videos.

They are not the pioneers of reaction videos, far from that, they're just the most well known youtube channel for that, and they think that gives them the right to claim all the other reaction videos online as their ''copycats'' now that the concept of reaction videos is becoming popular again.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Moppsy said:

Here's a live stream of their sub count going down.

I tuned in for just a minute or two and their subs are practically dropping by 10-20 every five seconds, ahahahahaha

• Thumbs Up 7

Not sure if anyone know about this but the Finebros posted a update video about the whole "trademarking" react.

I'd say you'd have the right mind if you want to punch these twats in their dicks, but that response is kind of redundant.

• Thumbs Up 1

Love how both the written and video explanation still do a poor job at defining what there "format" is, and they don't really clear up anything. Just try using hot terms and phrases to sound knowledgable and apologetic.

I kinda wanna see an influx of people make videos without the Fine Bros. approval or endorsement on a popular outside site just to see how they'd react.

The Fine Bros. themselves aren't very fond of their feet, are they?