Awoo.

Can we get more 'recent topics' EDIT: Birthdays are now located...

Badnik Mechanic

Edit: Suggestion has been approved, birthdays are now at the very bottom of SSMB.

I think there used to be either 4 or 5 recent topics.

Now there are 2.

This seems really low, you can easily miss new topics now. Especially if we get a knob joining who makes tons of new topics and pushes good ones away. 

Can we get 4 recent topics?

• Thumbs Up 8

You know, I thought that was a glitch on my end!

We definitely had four or five up until sometime within the last fortnight. 

I'd definitely say we could do with a few more slots again. Especially for those times where we get an unusually high number of new topics in one day.

6 minutes ago, Tara said:

Yeah, there used to be a lot more.  Don't recall why it was shortened.

I think it was shortened because of the update, I'm not sure. ^^*

6 minutes ago, Tara said:

Yeah, there used to be a lot more.  Don't recall why it was shortened.

The sidebar was shortened (namely the recent topics [3 -> 2] and status [6 -> 5] sections) because on particularly chatty days with a lot of birthdays the entire index will stretch. From a design standpoint, I'd rather not have the sidebar be the reason why the forum index is twice as long.

So, three options:

• Increase the recent topics back to three or even higher, but the status block loses more space;
  • Increase the recent topics and status by 2 each, but remove the birthdays block;
  • Leave them as is until I can figure out a way to make the particularly long status updates not be a nuisance.

Given the general attitude about the sidebar when I touch the status updates (or they change in any way because of IBS), I'd rather just use the existing solution.

Eh, that makes sense.  I don't really care which way you go with it, though. XP

It's why I think that maybe the birthdays should be on the bottom in the same general space as the "Active Members" bar.  It fits more people and doesn't completely break the tables.  But I don't know if IPB supports that anymore.

Won't be popular, but if birthdays can be moved to below active members or removed altogether until a better fix comes out I think that would be better.

This topic was made 45 min ago, it has just been pushed off the recent topics list. In fact the irony of the OP right now is quite startling.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Won't be popular, but if birthdays can be moved to below active members or removed altogether until a better fix comes out I think that would be better.

This topic was made 45 min ago, it has just been pushed off the recent topics list. In fact the irony of the OP right now is quite startling.

It's actually so ironic it's hilarious.

Capture.PNG

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

The recent topics block was observed for over two weeks before making the change. Every six hours, we'd get one or two new topics - as far as time goes, that's a decent amount of face for a single topic on the index.

There will be moments of higher activity which go against these observations. I'll try out some solutions but you might be better off using your activity stream.

15 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

8 minutes ago, Detective Indigo said:

It's actually so ironic it's hilarious.

Capture.PNG

I think it's fine that you're bringing up your point, Hogfather, but I'm asking now that we not dignify a troll topic with more attention here. =P

• Thumbs Up 1

I recommend you increase the topics and status box by two each and remove the birthday list to a different page altogether. Just a link to the birthday list on the main page. The birthday list - whilst nice - should not be a priority on the main page.

EDIT: Just like that! Much better.

• Thumbs Up 1