Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

I'm not sure I want a Classic focus. SEGA has shown me that they can't replicate the classics. Generations was OK, but felt off. So, maybe this time they can get it perfect? I hope so, because a game that actually feels like the Classics would actually be nice. I don't really expect a full focus on it at least.

I don't think Boom Sonic is going to be a big part of the celebration, though. I think he's just there because he exists and is getting Fire & Ice.

Is the packaging final at these toy fairs? It looks cheap and flimsy.

The Hedgehog Day video was fun.

• Thumbs Up 6

A small thing I find interesting is how in all the new pixel green hill zone renders we’ve seen is that the background with the mountains & clouds is not the original green hill zone BG. Even the video with the hedgehog wrecking the props has this new BG. Makes me curious if it means anything or not.

2 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

A small thing I find interesting is how in all the new pixel green hill zone renders we’ve seen is that the background with the mountains & clouds is not the original green hill zone BG. Even the video with the hedgehog wrecking the props has this new BG. Makes me curious if it means anything or not.

We discussed it in the last thread and it turned out those tube things are from Sonic CD. Quartz Quadrant, I think. So I'm not sure I would put much thought into it.

7 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

A small thing I find interesting is how in all the new pixel green hill zone renders we’ve seen is that the background with the mountains & clouds is not the original green hill zone BG. Even the video with then hedgehog wrecking the props has this new BG. Makes me curious if it means anything or not.

I KNEW I had seen them in Sonic CD but man they were hard to pinpoint as I checked through all the "outsidey" and "natural" zones/timezones.

They're from Quartz Quadrant Present:

qqpresent.png

EDIT: It told me Marcello posted before I hit post and I knew it'd be him speeding me but after putting 10 minutes into researching this I didn't want to believe.

3 minutes ago, Marcello said:

We discussed it in the last thread and it turned out those tube things are from Sonic CD. Quartz Quadrant, I think. So I'm not sure I would put much thought into it.

Seems a bit much to say it was just a mistake on their part to use BG probs from a different classic Sonic game, especially because they've done it more then once now. While it doesn't deserve a deep discussion... I think it's still worth thinking little about it.

They probably just threw something together and have been reusing it as a generic Green Hill background.

If those tubes were something new, I'd agree with you, but with them being old assets, I assume they just reused random things without much thought.

The green hill thing is a generic thing. It's been found on other merchandise going back 2 years.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 minutes ago, Marcello said:

They probably just threw something together and have been reusing it as a generic Green Hill background.

If those tubes were something new, I'd agree with you, but with them being old assets, I assume they just reused random things without much though.

I'd like to assume they put little more thought into it then that myself. Being old assets doesn’t discredit it IMO. Which leads to the question of what could the meaning behind multiple different classic Sonic art assets used on the same level be? One possibility I can think of is a Sonic Maker game where you can mix together different classic assets, tho of course that’s just a example.

Edit: Didn't see Hogfather's reply till after posting. Anyways it may mean nothing, but we'll see.

I am quite happy with those news, it seems like we gonna have a mostly nice Sonic game at last.
All we can do is waiting for this game to get released, and I hope SEGA won't fail nothing about it.. :)
I feel a bit unsure about that Boom Sonic should participate in the anniversary game..

Just because it exists, it shouldn't. Sonic Boom wasn't that successful to get into the anniversary game, and be a 'most memorable part' of the Sonic history. Modern and Classic Sonic has their own past with a lot of years' work, but Boom just appeared a few years ago, and I don't think it was that good to immediately celebrate it.

I hope they don't add Sonic Boom to the anniversary game either. I haven't got anything against boom, it's just that wehn Sonic Team try to do much, they end up failing.

Sonic Colours and Sonic Generations were good games, because they tried to do very little.  

Sonic Lost World went overboard with new moves and extra level styles and it ended up being a mess. 

I think having Classic, Modern and Boom Sonic in one game will be too many play styles for Sonic Team. It would be better if they just focused on Classic and Modern. 

9 minutes ago, big_smile said:

I hope they don't add Sonic Boom to the anniversary game either.

Why would they mix the different eras together at all unless it’s a Sonic Generations 2? And personally I just can’t see them doing a SG2 so soon.

Really? I can. Generations was popular as hell, and lended itself perfectly for DLC (which SEGA bizarrely chose not to do...)

Much as I would hate to see it, a retread of Generations shouldn't be ruled out entirely.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Scar said:

Really? I can. Generations was popular as hell, and lended itself perfectly for DLC (which SEGA bizarrely chose not to do...)

Much as I would hate to see it, a retread of Generations shouldn't be ruled out entirely.

I don’t think a Sonic game being fairly popular means much in that regard. Otherwise we would had gotten a SA3 already. Yohoo. =P

20 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

I don’t think a Sonic game being fairly popular means much in that regard. Otherwise we would had gotten a SA3 already. Yohoo. =P

The idea of an SA3 is popular only within a small (albeit very vocal) subset of Sonic fans. Generations was popular with everyone, including rather crucially, video game critics and journalists.

9 minutes ago, Scar said:

The idea of an SA3 is popular only within a small (albeit very vocal) subset of Sonic fans. Generations was popular with everyone, including rather crucially, video game critics and journalists.

God no. I know folks younger than me who wouldn't have the context for sonic adventure 3 asking for it, and shadow. Whether I think they should do it? God no, I think they already have issue leaching off the past to create uninteresting products. Do I think elements of several era's of sonic should be introduced into different types of game to make different types of game play experiences, sure. 

As far as video game critiques and journalists go, I have a whole... thesis on this but. I would focus on trying to make a good game rather than them liking it. If the next game was hypothetically speaking an adventure type thing, and they didn't like it but people buying the game did it wouldn't really matter.Critiques and sonic have never been good together, hell critques go back even now and declare good sonic games are bad and fans are delusional even when they themselves have rated those games good. I think sonic trying to please " critiques" is the reason sonic is kinda is where he is in the first place. And its not a very interesting place, from the inside anyway. 

2 hours ago, caseykz said:

Do you want to link to the old thread? So ppl will know what things they should avoid saying?

The point isn't that there are some things you can and can not say (though we do currently have a policy on unsourced rumors).  It's that the previous topic was excessive in the amount of flame wars and trolling that we had to shut it down.

Anyway, as for the actual topic at hand, I have no quarrels with Boom being in a Generations 2 type game.  First of all, Colors was released only a year prior to Generations and still managed to be represented in the game.  Second, Boom is probably a lot more relevant to the franchise as it currently stands, so it would only make sense that they would include it not to show off its expansive history but to bring the series up to date.

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm not taking stuff like that 25th Anniversary promo as anything to do with the game. I'd imagine promotional stuff for that would be produced back at Sonic Team, and if that was the case they wouldn't be using the Quartz Quadrant tileset as Green Hill mountains as the western licensing side of SEGA has been doing for years. 

• Thumbs Up 2

To this day, I ponder why the hell Generations didn't get any level DLC.

Don't mind a Classic focused game at all, through I hope Sonic's jump and rolling physic's are improved some.

• Thumbs Up 4

Imagine....

Imagine a game, where you have neat 3D level design, but you come across a seemingly insurmountable obstacle. To overcome said obstacle you press a button and the game smashes into pixels and reassembles as a classic-styled 2D sidescroller with Megadrive visuals, music, etc. Sort of like paper mario's 2D/3D shift, but in a more visually awesome way.

Shame that its extraordinarily unlikely that something like that will ever happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Kinda sounds like how you can switch between planes in Super Paper Maro

He already made that comparison in his post.

Anyway, I think it's a neat idea, and it could lead to some cool level design, though I don't know how well it could be implemented. I mean, this is Sonic Team we're talking about.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Kinda sounds like how you can switch between planes in Super Paper Maro

Wouldn't blame em, loved that game. One of the funniest games I ever played. 

Sucks sticker stars sucks.

• Thumbs Up 1