Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

36 minutes ago, AAUK said:

Hate to tell you Gene, but this is nothing compared to what lies ahead for you.

Nothing.

</ManiacleLaugh>

He's right Gene. And this is from a man whose fiercest encounter with the fanbase didn't have time as a crutch to turn to, if I'm thinking correctly.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I have no doubts that SEGA means the best. I just think the silence after what was not one, but two, colossally shitty games and said games doing incredibly poorly in sales is ill advised.

The comparison I can think of is where AMD is getting their asses handed to them by both nVidia and Intel, with them not really releasing any new GPU's beyond rebrands in the past couple years, and Bulldozer being an incredibly bad family of CPU's. So right now they're talking up their new CPU and GPU families as being vastly superior to what they currently have, and giving actual information in albeit small amounts.

By all means, I still firmly believe that SEGA should have shown whatever projects they're working on now, not just Sonic. Give us a reason to have faith that SEGA's learned from their mistakes, and are heading off in a good direction. We haven't really gotten that so far other than "we're sorry, and we'll promise to do better". I mean, I can believe that's the case that they'll try, but we haven't really been shown how they plan to do so.

Maybe this July, we'll finally get something substantial here.

OK, heart to heart here.

The fact that you haven't seen anything...isn't necessarily a bad thing in this specific case. I realize that's among the most counter-intuitive things you could think of, but it's actually the truth in this case. That you're not seeing any momentum publicly doesn't mean momentum isn't there.

It sucks as a fandom to be thirsty for information, but if you keep on asking, they'll tell you they don't know. And if you keep on asking, they'll just keep saying so.

• Thumbs Up 6

11 hours ago, True Detective Soni said:

I guess this is what happens when the most recent major Sonic game release turns out to be worst selling Sonic games known onto SEGA's financial reports and an entire year of no major Sonic release, the crave has pretty much been neurotic. It's bound to happen with people jumping onto any announcement to see what's next for Sonic. 

Sadly that goes for both Sonic Team's Lost World and the west's Sonic BOOM.

Long as the next game isn't more Mario than Sonic I'm good, hell even if the script/plot is the worst in the entire series, as long as it looks/feels more like a Sonic game, I'm as happy as a bug in a giant peach.

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly why doesn't SEGA start marketing Fire and Ice? At least then they could keep people talking.

54 minutes ago, pppp said:

Honestly why doesn't SEGA start marketing Fire and Ice? At least then they could keep people talking.

People will be talking but I don't think it'll be positive. 

Here's one way SEGA can show that they mean it when they say they'll do better: Cancel Fire and Ice. Nobody wants it, just let it die.

1 hour ago, pppp said:

Actually... You know what...?

That's pretty d@mn smart... Why DON'T they start marketing THAT game so we have SOMETHING basically? I mean if people want news on something so bad, coverage on something, why not start working on the build-up for Fire and Ice?

Sonic DASH 2 Sonic BOOM actually got me into Sonic BOOM as a game franchise, and for what it's worth I decently enjoyed Shattered Crystal so if anything Fire and Ice has a chance to further solidify Sonic BOOM as being worthy of continuation as a game franchise if the love/polish they spoke of is really going into it...

Why not start promoting it now to fill in the void until they're ready to add the 25th title in on the build-up as well? Start showing artwork, have developer videos... Yeah, why not? Where is Fire and Ice now that we have the launch date especially?

• Thumbs Up 1

It's a little early, right? Fire & Ice is hardly the project that deserves a five month marketing build up. I'd wager we get proper trailers in July or early August.

To SEGAs marketing folk, they are filling the void - they just had a high profile panel at SXSW, the 25th Anniversary websites are stuttering into life (I imagine we'll get a western one within the month), they are inking plenty of merch deals, and the 25th branding has gone public on their social media and in other places (for instance, the Sonic Games Collection on Steam/Humble Store is now advertised as 25th Anniversary material). There are fan events and dates set up in the calendar going forward, too.

As everyone who is in a position to know has said here, SEGA are purposefully taking their time. SEGA might be legendarily stupid, but they also didn't cock up the last anniversary game and even the most boneheaded executive would look at the combined financial devastation from the Wii U exclusivity deal/Boom's overall sales in 2014 and take some lessons from that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, pppp said:

Here's one way SEGA can show that they mean it when they say they'll do better: Cancel Fire and Ice. Nobody wants it, just let it die.

That....would actually be a rather dumb move. Outright just canceling a game, regardless of what it's a sequel to,  not to mention the game in particular that official reports say to have been delayed for the very quality improvements that SEGA promised, would not only come off as an act of cowardice,  but would also be used as a point that they didn't truly improve our despite promises.  Not a place any smart company would want to go. 

And as for "nobody" wanting it,  well ignoring the logical fallacy that absolute statements like that are full of,  in actuality there are still a notable supply of fans with the games,  in this case,  particularly Shattered Crystal.  With Boom still young as it is,  turning off current fans and potential fans by just canceling Fire and Ice would be a horrific moral and business choice currently. 

I'd rather see them commit to their projects of this caliber than just outright abandon the efforts of refining something,  which has been a issue in SEGA'S past.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

It's a little early, right? Fire & Ice is hardly the project that deserves a five month marketing build up. I'd wager we get proper trailers in July or early August.

To SEGAs marketing folk, they are filling the void - they just had a high profile panel at SXSW, the 25th Anniversary websites are stuttering into life (I imagine we'll get a western one within the month), they are inking plenty of merch deals, and the 25th branding has gone public on their social media and in other places (for instance, the Sonic Games Collection on Steam/Humble Store is now advertised as 25th Anniversary material). There are fan events and dates set up in the calendar going forward, too.

As everyone who is in a position to know has said here, SEGA are purposefully taking their time. SEGA might be legendarily stupid, but they also didn't cock up the last anniversary game and even the most boneheaded executive would look at the combined financial devastation from the Wii U exclusivity deal/Boom's overall sales in 2014 and take some lessons from that. 

Honestly at this point I don't think there are limits to SEGA's stupidity.

8 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

Is it necessary to keep having something like that to say in every post? I don't mean this towards you only, but it seems many posts have to include something about SEGA in a similar way.

And I'd be careful about that, the mods don't seem to take kindly to the whole exclusivity debate being brought up here...

Lastly, as a response to your post in general, Fire and Ice actually DOES need as much of a positive push as possible on the company's part, they need to show the utmost faith towards the title, as much as they would/will show for the 25th title if they really want it to come off as a total flip from past BOOM titles and worth fans attention/money. It does deserve whatever it can get from SEGA, and in my opinion, fans as well.

Trust me, that's saying something coming from me. I've been as hostile towards BOOM as I have Lost/Mario World in the past.

13 minutes ago, pppp said:

Honestly at this point I don't think there are limits to SEGA's stupidity.

You just suggested that Sega cancel a game which has had 2 years of development for the reason which boils down to.

"Because I might not like it."

That's pretty dumb.

• Thumbs Up 9

Just now, Detective Hogfather said:

You just suggested that Sega cancel a game which has had 2 years of development for the reason which boils down to.

That's pretty dumb.

Right, at this point SEGA's probably dumped so much time and money into it that they'd be better off releasing it. If the game is a failure, they'd at least recoop some of the losses.

Have to think of this from the perspective of a company and not a fan.

5 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

Well seeing as how the people that advised them to take their time and all were fans...

Besides, after what happened in 2014, taking their time to work on the game and making sure they have something to present that is in good quality is something they need to do. They just can't take any chances.

Which still doesn't exclude the possibility of them showcasing what they have. We've been over this. Games can be showed off years in advance. This has been a thing before.

Except, yet again, AMD had no restructure,or a disaster of a game that came before it. Almost every single one of the comparisons I've seen so far are apples and oranges. There are more things to consider than just "SEGA's being silent" and people keep forgetting what led up to this in the first place.

Right, they've just bottomed out to the single digits in CPU market share, fallen to less than %20 in the GPU market share, completely lost the laptop market, and had large wholesale layoffs. AMD is every bit of in the shits right now, if not more, than SEGA is currently.

Except they have. In fact we knew a lot about these games months ago. Even when they were silent on Sonic, they were still releasing many games in 2015.

They have given you a reason. They're not rushing their games anymore, which was one of the reasons why some of the games turned out the way they did. This is exactly what people kept suggesting to SEGA in the months following Rise of Lyric's release. Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice was also delayed for this reason. In fact Aaron even made a SEGA blog post about it, noting that the team was making sure that the game was in good quality, when the delay was announced.

And they have given us no reason to care about Fire and Ice beyond that. No trailers, no gameplay demos, nothing. And before you go "but- but- restructures" again, I don't care. They could given us at the very absolute least a press release explaining on what it is they're improving about the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

That's pretty dumb.

Oh look Hogfather insulting me instead of trying to prove his point by debating like a civilized person. Some things never change.

2 minutes ago, pppp said:

Oh look Hogfather insulting me instead of trying to prove his point by debating like a civilized person. Some things never change.

There's nothing really to prove though. 

He's just right here; cancelling a game because you don't think you'll like it (despite not even playing it yet) is pretty dumb. 

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, pppp said:

It's pretty self explanatory isn't it?

You're going off on a lol Sega is stupid just cancel boom because we don't want it. Which is a daft argument regardless as to how many pages you want to debate it for.

But hey go ahead. Explain to me how cancelling a game because you don't want it is a smart decision? 

Because to me it sounds completely dumb.

• Thumbs Up 6

Saying a game should be cancelled does sound like self-entitlement to me to be honest. Which is cringy at it's best. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Detective Hogfather said:

You're going off on a lol Sega is stupid just cancel boom because we don't want it. Which is a daft argument regardless as to how many pages you want to debate it for.

But hey go ahead. Explain to me how cancelling a game because you don't want it is a smart decision? 

Because we all know what games we REALLY need instead.

Sonic Chronicles 2 - Wrath of Penders and Sonic 2016 - The Burn Returns

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Detective Hogfather said:

I don't talk to people who are hostile towards anyone who disagrees with them.

1 hour ago, pppp said:

Oh really?

I'm looking on SEGA's offical blog, forums, Facebook and twitter and I see a lot more people who want the game than don't. 

1 minute ago, Mikyeong said:

Oh really?

I'm looking on SEGA's offical blog, forums, Facebook and twitter and I see a lot more people who want the game than don't. 

Ooooooon a side note...

Who thinks the 25th anniversary site Japan launched will probably be the place we see the first news/content regarding the anniversary game?

• Thumbs Up 4

5 minutes ago, pppp said:

Someone else want to ask him so we can actually get an answer instead of a fob off?

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, pppp said:

Why do you think Sonic Boom Fire and Ice should be cancelled? Just wondering. :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Ooooooon a side note...

Who thinks the 25th anniversary site Japan launched will probably be the place we see the first news/content regarding the anniversary game?

Probably... not. Unless it's a leak.

I think the first place well get it is youtube announcement followed by a simultaneous media launch on the blogs, social media outlets and maybe some sites which got 'exclusive' info.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Oh really?

Now hold on a ding damn minute there, what forums you talking about Willis? Because the SEGA Forums I know wanted the game to die in a fire.

I don't know anyone in the Sonic fandom that wants the game. At the same time, I still argue that SEGA's better off releasing it.

• Thumbs Up 1