Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

10 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Give fans a little bit of what, though? Because no one can agree on it. Quite a few seem to operate under the mentality of "my way or the highway". It's hard to form a compromise at all when it seems fans are unwilling to do this.

You've said this a couple times now. For the record, I don't think that matters. SEGA dug themselves this hole, and the only way out I think is to make an objectively good Sonic game. If they do that, people will like it. Obviously, there will be a lot that won't, but SEGA can't focus on trying to please everyone

As for what direction the game should go? Up to SEGA.

You've said this a couple times now.

Well, seeing as how the entire last 3-5 pages of this thread has just been the same thing being said repeatedly, in comparison this is nothing. lol

1 minute ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

For the record, I don't think that matters. SEGA dug themselves this hole, and the only way out I think is to make an objectively good Sonic game. If they do that, people will like it. Obviously, there will be a lot that won't, but SEGA can't focus on trying to please everyone

AS for what direction the game should go? Up to SEGA.

I suppose...It's just, going on about "giving SEGA what we want" is a bit more complicated than it is, in my opinion.

12 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

That's my issue...

Why are we getting such short games with nearly zero amount of content compared to past titles this being the case, especially with the staff being by and large the same, at least up top...?

That's a terrible hyperbole of a  comparison to be making if one doesn't want to come off add needlessly bias and passive aggressive. 

Anyway,  I'm one who prefers a good mix of loads of content,  replayabilty, and of course a game that doesn't pad itself out by arbitrary means. And while I like Unleashed,  I can't deny that it did fall in the trap of needless padding,  not to mention, hit-and-miss controls. 

It's no secret that with the shorter games,  Sonic Team's been paying more mind to quality over quantity.  Lord knows, in the boost trilogy,  having to make the levels as long as they were for the boosting Sonic is part of the reason why we'd get so little of the Sonic levels in Unleashed and Generations. 

Even in the case of Lost World,  whether you like it or dislike it,  there's no denying tha the game was polished with quality in mind, which is more than can be said for past endeavours. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Jovahexeon:AceFiddlePlayer said:

Even in the case of Lost World,  whether you like it or dislike it,  there's no denying tha the game was polished with quality in mind, which is more than can be said for past endeavours. 

Eeeehhh I dunno about that one. Lost World kinda feels like they rushed for a variety of content rather than taking the time to nail down the fundamentals.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

I'm sorry but you are wrong LOL . I wasn't even trying to start an argument. So look before you judge.

okay

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Eeeehhh I dunno about that one. Lost World kinda feels like they rushed for a variety of content rather than taking the time to nail down the fundamentals.

I'm referring to the game not being a programming mess and nightmare.  And not being so easy to break. 

And the control scheme while potentially confusing was still all well and functional. 

It was completely functional, it was just up to whether you liked what it did with it's gameplay design or not.

• Thumbs Up 5

34 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

The fanbase can't even decide what they want from SEGA, let alone SEGA actually delivering it.

Tired of hearing stuff like this too. Sega never listens to the fans anyway. They largely just do whatever the fuck they want and we follow their lead. That's how most franchises work. People follow this franchise because they're a fan of what Sonic Team does, so all they have to do is play to their strengths and deliver a solid game on top of it. You're not going to get exactly what you want, but you'll be hard pressed to find any developer that works like that. People will appreciate it regardless as long as it's well put together. 

Besides, it might just be me, but what everyone wants isn't all that different when you actually look at it.

• Thumbs Up 7

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Tired of hearing stuff like this too. Sega never listens to the fans anyway. They largely just do whatever the fuck they want and we follow their lead. That's how most franchises work. People follow this franchise because they're a fan of what Sonic Team does, so all they have to do is play to their strengths and deliver a solid game on top of it. You're not going to get exactly what you want, but you'll be hard pressed to find any developer that works like that. People will appreciate it regardless as long as it's well put together. 

Besides, it might just be me, but what everyone wants isn't all that different when you actually look at it.

If SEGA/Sonic Team really did listened to the fans of as much as people claimed we would of had Sonic Adventure 3 a long time ago :P

6 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Fans wanted Shadow to return after SA2. SEGA brought him back in Heroes.

Fans wanted Shadow to have his own game. SEGA gave him his own game.

Fans wanted Sonic to drop the realism, seriousness, and overall feel that Shadow & 06 gave. SEGA put out Unleashed.

Fans wanted SEGA to drop everyone on the 4kids cast, except Mike Pollock. SEGA did exactly that, and hired folks like Roger Criag Smith to the team.

Fans wanted SEGA to drop the Werehog and focus on the day levels. SEGA released the day level-focused Sonic Colors.

Fans wanted Super Sonic playable in levels again. SEGA gave Colors, Generations, and Lost World this feature.

Fans wanted a game like the classic games again. SEGA made Sonic 4 and included Classic Sonic and his gameplay in Generations.

Fans wanted a refined Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing game, with more fan service. SEGA and Sumo Digital then made All Stars Racing Transformed.

Fans wanted something new from the franchise that wasn't the boost formula anymore. SEGA brought in the parkour mechanic for Lost World and the Sonic Boom branch.

Fans wanted more playable characters again. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal were given more playable characters.

To say SEGA never listens to fans...I just can't agree on that.

With realism being a key component of the franchise, that was a BIG mistake.

Those were HORRIBLY implemented on SEGA's part, fans demanded it but they did NOT return those demands the way they should have been. SEGA's part in delivering is FAR from professional, indies make better responses than that. Amateurs do.

I've noticed you have a habit of kissing up for SEGA WAY more than necessary around here, even with other staff when they participate in topics... How do you do it man? I say that as someone actually... Oddly impressed with such a capability...

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

With realism being a key component of the franchise,

When

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Those were HORRIBLY implemented on SEGA's part, fans demanded it but they did NOT return those demands the way they should have been.

Were they executed properly? That depends on who you talk to. But the pont is that SEGA does listen to fan demands and they keep them in mind when making their games.

2 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Were they executed properly? That depends on who you talk to. But the pont is that SEGA does listen to fan demands they keep them in mind when making their games.

As an afterthought that can be toyed with as seen fit, not to deliver as expected/should be obvious for professionals.

• The topic was locked