Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

You think Aaron will make a teaser trailer for the April's Fools? He clearly has Photoshop skills (if it is really him who's been creating those arts), but can he go further with his trolling and make a video?

Eh, still, the Sonic series has very clearly not had a consistent identity. Iunno why people expect it to go back to previous formulas, when for worse or better, it's constantly changing things up. I'm expecting the next game to change things yet again because there's more precedent for that, but I could end up being wrong.

Though there are people who legitimately believe that certain games "will" or "deserve to get" sequels. And while I do understand wanting more of the same, expecting it is still another matter. At the end of the day, SEGA is a business- they will fund what they believe will make the most money, and so far their agenda has been to try and get new fans by changing what Sonic is, to broaden the demographic. That could change, especially temporarily for an anniversary game, but I'm just saying we really have no clue either way what they're going to do yet- though I do think it makes more sense to expect something new/different since that's what SEGA/Sonic Team loves to do.

Sega funding something that makes the most money means it is indeed possible to know the kinds of decisions they're going to make with a cursory knowledge of the criticism they're receiving for the franchise, even if we can't directly pin down the end result. Gens was a relative surprise as a game consisting of nothing but remade levels, but its broader design decisions weren't out of the general modus operandi of the franchise at the time and in many ways it still isn't.

Hmm, do not talk about *** do not discuss *** and don't being up ***, I am so tempted to be a complete ass-hat right now and ask if that subject extends to a possible SA4.

Eh, on a different note, given that there seems to be a chance of Sonic Boom being a part of the anniversary game, I wonder how and why this would even come to be as to my understanding Takashi Iizuka hates Boom Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Well, the issue with that is Penders if I'm not mistaken, and I hold him accountable in ways for SEGA abandoning story depth as well and any further attempts at the RPG genre.

As much as I would like to be the first guy to get hit with the penalty for piling on the Penders after the crap he pulled, we can't blame him for the lack of a Chronicles 2. You can thank capitalism for that. EA gobbled up Bioware and made any chance for a sequel dead in the water.

I don't think we can blame him for Sega pushing thinner stories either, but thats a topic for another day.

Crazy theory.

As many peple have noted. There have been some hints at a possible February announcement.

Well it's Toy Fair new york next week and they always have new Sonic stuff which hasn't shown at other fairs.

Could we get an announcement due to new game toys being shown. 

For info Titanfall 2 just got leaked a few moments ago due to a toy fair press release.

On February 9, 2016 at 2:14 PM, Nepenthe said:

Do you honestly think none of the last four Sega Sonic games were good in some general capacity? I just hear this a lot- that people don't care a thing about any general design aspects unless the game is "good"- and I just feel the request for a good game is both too vague and a little bit archaic in light of the discernible improvement the games have made. What even is a good game in such a context if even perfectly serviceable and stable games like Colors and Gens don't qualify???

To me what a makes a sonic game good is if it looked like they put a lot of effort into and went all out. Good big or go home. As much as I enjoyed lost world one of my biggest gripes with it was that it was way too safe for it's own good and it felt really experimental to the point where it hurts.

I don't want them to completely change the formula next game. My biggest problem with Sonic is that he lacks identity and his gameplay is always changing drastically. I want them to take Generations/Lost World's formula (either one) and try to make it work instead of completely scrapping it

5 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Crazy theory.

As many peple have noted. There have been some hints at a possible February announcement.

Well it's Toy Fair new york next week and they always have new Sonic stuff which hasn't shown at other fairs.

For info Titanfall 2 just got leaked a few moments ago due to a toy fair press release.

What could be announced at a toy fair?  The 25th anniversary sonic game?(doubt that's it). A long awaited update on fire and ice?   Some other new game that has nothing to do with the previous ideas?  I have no clue, but I never been to a toy fair, so, what do I know?:blink:

5 hours ago, Silly name the animal said:

What could be announced at a toy fair?  The 25th anniversary sonic game?(doubt that's it). A long awaited update on fire and ice?   Some other new game that has nothing to do with the previous ideas?  I have no clue, but I never been to a toy fair, so, what do I know?:blink:

Toys obviously based on an as-yet unannounced game.  If the toy fair had, for instance, a plush of Sonic's new friend Mr. Needlemouse, or a new Eggmobile design, or a Flying Battery playset, there would be a strong chance that material had not been simply made up out of the blue for a new toy; it would tie into a game they were bringing out.  Simple cross-promotion.  With that said, however, I think if anything major was going to appear at a toy fair, Sega would probably have timed their announcement to fall beforehand.  All I'm expecting is more stuff we can make broad inferences from, like with the multiple logos, and the choice of what existing property to order new toys for.

Also, I missed the discussion over the latest cryptic tweet, but the 4/1 interpretation strikes me as the most plausible.

• Thumbs Up 3

13 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Crazy theory.

Yeah,riiiiiight. And only for us to get more fire and ice news? Ha.

1 hour ago, Iamaspaz said:

Yeah,riiiiiight. And only for us to get more fire and ice news? Ha.

I don't understand this post.

Just now, Mikyeong said:

I want to ask, does anyone know what consoles the anniversary game is going to be on?

Considering that we don't know nothing about the actual game itself..... uhhh, yeah no one does.

But it's very likely that it's going to be on PS4/XBONE and possibly Wii U, who even knows.

• Thumbs Up 8

7 minutes ago, True Detective Soni said:

Considering that we don't know nothing about the actual game itself..... uhhh, yeah no one does.

But it's very likely that it's going to be on PS4/XBONE and possibly Wii U, who even knows.

Oh ok thanks :)

I really do hope it goes on the WiiU, I am NOT getting the Xbone XD

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Oh ok thanks :)

I really do hope it goes on the WiiU, I am NOT getting the Xbone XD

Saying this as someone who owns a WiiU and loves it, and wishes he had more games for it, I actually hope the next Sonic game doesn't go to WiiU. I want SEGA to really show off what they can do with the power of the PS4.

• Thumbs Up 7

If it ends up on PS4/Xbone then the chances of a PC port are high. And the PC version is by far the best version to get in my opinion just because of mods alone. :J

• Thumbs Up 3

I just hope that the new game would come on all systems, PS4, XONE, WIIU and PC and I guess that SEGA will put Dimps make another 3DS version.

But what about if NX is released this year?

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, RipeFIN said:

I just hope that the new game would come on all systems, PS4, XONE, WIIU and PC and I guess that SEGA will put Dimps make another 3DS version.

But what about if NX is released this year?

In my opinion, I don't think we can expect the Nintendo NX to be released this year. Look at the Nintendo Wii U. It was presented/announced in 2011 and came out a year later.

My biggest guess for the NX would be at least early 2017. I mean, all we got was this codename. :P

For the versions of release though, I do think that we might get to see only a PS4/XBOX1/PC console version, with perhaps a 3DS version. It wouldn't surprise me if Sonic Team decided not to make a game on the Wii U, since they probably know that Nintendo is working on the NX. Plus, they already got Fire & Ice to make up for the 3DS game of this year, along with M&S 2016 (WiiU/3DS).

So yeah, basically most likely the same thing how Generations handled it, come to think of it. :P

• Thumbs Up 6

Regardless of the game as a whole, Sonic Team always seem to do amazing work on the visuals. If the next game is coming to PS4 and Xbox One then I really can't wait to see how they use the hardware.

I think Iizuka did an interview a couple years ago where he was asked about the team's use of the hardware. From memory he said the advancements wouldn't mean Sonic becoming more realistic but rather just bringing the cartoony world to life even more. I imagine they could be trying to do something similar to Unleashed, in terms of lighting at least.

• Thumbs Up 7