Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

As much as I would like to see a Sonic RPG, I have to admit copying Paper Mario makes me nervous. Just by sheer virtue that Sonic's approach to self-awareness has been making fun at its own expense... Which is something I've gotten really, really, really, really, really, tired of.

• Thumbs Up 1

Boy do I hope the pixels and new sprites actually mean what some of us think it means, for I'm a sucker for constant art shifts and the ideas we're coming up with sound so dope.

Throwing my hat in: there's also the fact the Sonic Adventure concert is being held in Japan on April 2nd. Until 5 PM in local time, it will be April 1st in some part of the West.

So, technically something could be announced on April 1st. The main hurdle is that with that 5 PM time, it means that they'd most likely have to announce something BEFORE the concert, rather than during.

Of course... we must remember that SEGA started in Hawaii. Hawaii will remain April 1st until 6:59 PM local time. More than enough time for something to be revealed when it is still technically the 1st in the West.

• Thumbs Up 5

Does SEGA have to do anything with Hawaii anymore? I mean, I'm pretty sure that's LONG past ancient history at this point.

Wait, are people actually discussing Pixel Sonic again? *groans* Guys, not to sound like an asshole, but it's kind of obvious it just refers to Classic Sonic. That advertisement was to sell the toys to investors. By saying "Pixel" Sonic, it's easier for someone who isn't well versed with the franchise to understand "Oh, old Sonic", since he was a sprite composed of pixely pixels in the Mega Drive games. 

Now, as for the April 1st thing, I can honestly see a serious announcement being made around that time because of the concert in Japan. Surely there's going to be news before or after that point. 

As far as what I believe the 25th anniversary game will be, I think it's going to be in-tone with Colours and Lost World since it seems Sonic Team has been pushing that to be the default look of Modern Sonic for a while now. I would like an Unleashed or Adventure style game, but it seems unlikely at this point, especially given how poor SEGA is doing financially. So I expect cheesy writing, 2D/3D mixed gameplay, wisps, etc.

If they do stray away from that and make an actual effort to create a grandiose adventure with the scale of Unleashed, I'll be thoroughly impressed. But for now, all we can do is wait. Just be patient guys, it's already February. We'll get something sooner or later. 

• Thumbs Up 7

27 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Does SEGA have to do anything with Hawaii anymore? I mean, I'm pretty sure that's LONG past ancient history at this point.

That's not the point. Mostly just saying Hawai'i gets overlooked as part of the West... so technically, it can still be April 1st in part of the United States when the concert gets into its more juicy hours.

• Thumbs Up 2

If we're getting a game announcement on April 1st with a concert about the Adventure games on practically the same day (2nd for Japan = mostly the 1st for us)..

What happens better not be what I think is going to happen. Or do I actually want it? God, who knows anymore.

• Thumbs Up 8

Alright guys, I want to see if we can finally solve this "breadcrumbs" mystery once and for all. We had a great detective thing going in the previous thread, and I have no idea what stopped us from continuing (well, besides the whole thread becoming ruined thing). Sonic social media even confirmed that Sonic Stadium was doing a good job, so why not continue with our investigation? Judging from the fact that the Sonic social media team keeps bringing up those same numbers, they must REALLY want us to solve this puzzle before they announce anything special.

I believe the first clue we have to start with are the numbers: 4,1,16, AKA the release date of "Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3". AphexPhreak was the first to really try and figure out what it all means. He spent some time trying to decipher the clues from the background of this image, but eventually gave up on it. I still think there's more to this image, but in order to understand it, we must get the other puzzle pieces, or breadcrumbs. Where do we find them? Well they're probably still hiding in the previous few months of images and tags posted by the Sonic twitter/tumblr, we just have to look deeper into them this time.

AphexPhreak also pointed out that it's important to look past all the dank memez from the posts and just focus on the clues right in front of us. In other words, I strongly suggest we take another look at posts featuring Big the Cat. They might contain some more clues since Sonic social media has always brought up the idea of "Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3" without explaining why. I have some more theories on the mystery (like what the numbers 3,21,00 mean), but I'll post about them later. Just wanted to get it out there that we should start with Big first.

• Thumbs Up 2

34 minutes ago, Azoo said:

If we're getting a game announcement on April 1st with a concert about the Adventure games on practically the same day (2nd for Japan = mostly the 1st for us)..

What happens better not be what I think is going to happen. Or do I actually want it? God, who knows anymore.

And maybe they could play a track from "that" game at the concert if it's revealed!

This thread should totally be called "The Case of Sonic's 25th Anniversary"

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Adamabba said:

This thread should totally be called "The Case of Sonic's 25th Anniversary"

... .... Yeah why didn't I give it that title... excuse me.

• Thumbs Up 7

There's something familiar about that logo on the modern Sonic prototype, though I can't exactly place it.

Something about the colour, I think.

Some tinfoil hattery going on with the "Pixel Sonic" stuff there. Really putting far too much thought into some visual effect some designer at Sega America liked.

And they never said anything about fan events. Just "branded events", so those could also just be for press and the like.

I find it rather suspicious the fact that SEGA is using 3 different anniversary logos, here's why:

Spoiler

First of, I doubt the marketing/design team of SEGA created three different logos just 'coz. Take a look at this art:

25thanversaryadvert1.png

The logo above is what I call the generic. It can be used when the three generations are advertised together, as we see. Now, have a look at this:

25th_plush1.jpg

This is the classic logo. Primarily used to advertise the Classic Sonic line. The pixel-like detail on the packaging also is a reference to the Genesis era Sonic.

Finally we have, the modern/boom logo.

tomy25th_figures-768x576.jpg

Which is similar to the modern age logos:

500px-sonic-15th-anniversary.png

What I think: SEGA is going demographically, even more than with Generations, with both merch, marketing and games. What I bet: SEGA will release at least 2 games this year, and announce a third one. The first one, despite everybody's meh-ness is Sonic Boom: Fire and Ice. Truly believe we'll see the releasing box-art with the modern/boom logo on it. Then there's the spin-off classic Sonic game. Only this time, I highly think it will be a 2D title. If not a full 16-bits game, the pixelated aesthetics will be implemented in someway. And finally, the modern Sonic game. Which, I think it will be announced this year, but released in 2017, following the events of Sonic Lost World.

Too much?

10 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

And they never said anything about fan events. Just "branded events", so those could also just be for press and the like.

I don't see why they wouldn't bring Boom back, though, since it was an anniversary celebration to begin with. Then it happened to become an annual thing, to give American fans a taste of Summer of Sonic and the like.

Granted, hosting that sort of thing is really expensive, so I'm surprised it gets out the door at all. Even if every single fan in attendance buys the game on display, it's only a slight gain for a lot of work.

I'd LOVE a pixel Sonic game. One as good as I truly imagined Sonic 4 would be. Classic gameplay, sprite based, and free to use whatever items, characters or abilities as it wouldn't be bound to Sonic 3&K. I really hope Sega wants us to forget/forgive Sonic 4 and embrace a new Sonic branch actually made for us who will always prefer the Genesis gameplay.

About physics, Sega could be smart enough to license Taxman's Retro Engine and do their own 2D Sonic with proper physics.

I'm really interested on who created the Sonic with a pumpkin drawing...

A Sonic game with pixel graphics... I guess I'll be okay with that concept, but I'd much rather have a fully HD Sonic game in my opinion.

Classic or Modern, I personally want a game that uses the Hedgehog Graphics Engine in some way. I want to see another game that can rival Unleashed in terms of the visual department.

Gameplay wise, I don't mind what it is. Classic? Modern? Both? Something out of left field? As long as I have fun with it, I'm all good.

On 3/2/2016 at 11:56 AM, Detective Hogfather said:

March 23rd 00?

To Hogfather: you should fix "March 23rd 00" to "March 21st 00".

By the way, how excited are you all for Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3? It's less than two months away from now!

In all seriousness, after having played the ROM hack "Big's Fishing Derby" by flamewing, it would be cool if they released a fishing minigame of some sort, maybe as a browser game. I'd find it disappointing if we don't get anything at all after all the teasing! :P

• Thumbs Up 1

So, while the Philadelphia Flyers has a nice 2-0 lead over Nashville i poored up a fresh glass of coke zero, put a snus under my lip and i start digging around in this very intriguing case. And here is what i came up with.

Halloween-artwork

That halloween-artwork is what im loosing the most sleep over in this case. I had to google the suspect behind the render and she seems to have done a couple of "special edition" comic book covers for "Sonic Universe". Please, correct me if im wrong.

With the recent artwork of Classig/Modern/ughBoom-Sonic's standing side by side(excisting in the same universe), my guess is that this(Sonic Universe) is the name of a game. Yes, i sad a game.

Big's Fishing Adventure 3

This is obvously just a red herring. C'mon. Herring is a fish. Gotta be some kind of joke. I belive they used red herring during Sonic 4 episode 2 teasing or something.

The pixels

Now this is interesting. That's all i have to say about that i guess. For now. Continue read for further suspicious pixel-related stuff.

The numbers(4312116)

Googled theese numbers and stumbled upon a patent for "sealing an electronic module in a cap ".

https://www.google.co.in/patents/US4312116

TLDR. Someone that can read something that isn't about sports or videogames should take a look in this patent to see if there's something there. The only usefull thing i found are dates. January 26th(has already passed this year) and April 14th.

But wait just a minuite! On Jan. 26th this year, the Sonic The Hedgehog-twitter posted this. 3 21 00

So now we have three dates: 3/21, 1/4 and possibly14/4

Though, what does "00" mean? It is featured in a different font in that twitterpost above than the other numbers. The number 00 is also featured in this posted by the Sonic twitter. There is also an added 7 witch is not in the original scan. My guess? 7:00 is the time. Can't find any clues for PM, AM or any timezones though. The dates are March 21, April 1 and, again possibly, April 14. 14th being the least belivable but is still a suspect in custody.

We have the numbers 0,1,2,3,4,6 and 7. No number 5 if i recall and have done my reasearch well enough. So now im thinking 5 is missing, pixels is present.....

My conclusion is the following:

We will have two brand new Sonic-games this year. One pixelart game: Sonic 5(revealed on March 21 at 7:00, ready for release on June 23(Numbers 6,2,3 are all present)), one big 3D adventure: Sonic Universe(revealed April 1 or possibly April 14 at 7:00). I am also willing to ballpark that Sonic Universe will have some kind of real-time graphicsswap/characterswap between the tree Sonic's. Possibly even here a pixelstyle graphicengine where you play Classic Sonic. Though now im going too deep. 2D pixel stages(Classic), 3D speed stages(Modern), 3D platforming/puzzles/combat(Boom).

And now the Flyers has a 4-2 lead.

DISSCLAIMER: I apologize for all the spelling and grammar errors that might occur in this. I know there's a bunch though i bet i couldn't find them even though they where staring at me. This dissclaimer might even be full of errors. It's 4am and well, people should not be awake at this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Big's Fishing Adventure 3

This is obvously just a red herring. C'mon. Herring is a fish. Gotta be some kind of joke. I belive they used red herring during Sonic 4 episode 2 teasing or something.

I think this went without saying.

I'm honestly not sure if this section was seriously analyzing this or not. It's obviously a joke, it's not a red herring. There's no deeper meaning to it. 

14 hours ago, Failinhearts said:

A Sonic game with pixel graphics... I guess I'll be okay with that concept, but I'd much rather have a fully HD Sonic game in my opinion.

It could totally have HD graphics. I'm sure Retro Engine would allow for that. I'm sure that even Sonic 1 and 2 remasters could have all sprites and tiles changed to HD versions and would work the same.

HD 2D Sonic pixel game would be glorious.