Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

I was gonna post a suggestion to change the subject but what the hell is there to talk about at this point until we get solid news or more numbers to try to decipher, honestly? If we have anything to go by with the fate of the last 25th anniversary thread, this thread's screwed unless we get some concrete conversation starters that aren't the same "so what do you want out of the next game?" stuff, and it seems that anything that could be said would just be redundant and cookie cutter. It's gotten to the point that this thread blows up if so much as the word "sonic" is said on an official social media page and a lack of news we think we're getting is met with extreme disappointment in some cases. Anyone got a topic that isn't just a precursor to gnawing on a dead horse's withering bones?

• Thumbs Up 5

3 minutes ago, Auto said:

I was gonna post a suggestion to change the subject but what the hell is there to talk about at this point until we get solid news or more numbers to try to decipher, honestly? If we have anything to go by with the fate of the last 25th anniversary thread, this thread's screwed unless we get some concrete conversation starters that aren't the same "so what do you want out of the next game?" stuff, and it seems that anything that could be said would just be redundant and cookie cutter. It's gotten to the point that this thread blows up if so much as the word "sonic" is said on an official social media page and a lack of news we think we're getting is met with extreme disappointment in some cases. Anyone got a topic that isn't just a precursor to gnawing on a dead horse's withering bones?

Yeah, this. We're clinging to shite like words on licensing material that typical fans aren't even supposed to see; that's for suits and the like. 

It's like "The year of Sonic" thing; it's there to attract licensees, not make note of the fan's wishes. Folks acting like "the ADVENTURE begins" or the social media decorations mean anything when it's coughed up by SEGA's western licensing dept rather than anyone actually involved with the new game(as evidenced by consistencies like the Quartz Quadrant hills mixed with GHZ) need to hush already.

Closing it until we actually get something was probably the better option. 

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Sean said:

It's our goal to avoid another pre-emptive lock like what happened last time. Hogfather went through the trouble of restarting it so we could allow people a venue for discussing thoughts about what the upcoming Sonic game could be as well as Sega's recent exploits and teases without that baggage.

Whenever we lock a topic for shitty atmosphere, it's your guys' fault. Not Sega's, not the "tension" of lack of Sonic news in ages. It's yours. You all let a fucking video game series sour your mood and your interactions with others; you should be fucking embarrassed. Go outside, play with a dog, play a video game you like in the meantime.

Locking this topic won't solve anything. Just learn to chill the fuck out and maybe then these threads won't go to shit so badly.

This is what Sean said during the last bit of drama we had. We're not locking the topic. If you have nothing to talk about, don't post.

• Thumbs Up 9

23 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

For whatever it's worth: I have no idea what the February thing is that Ruby was teasing.

hqdefault.jpg

Of course, that's just what he would want you to say.

I'm on to  you.

Just now, GeneHF said:

The Department of Dank Meme, Fresh Division

He's the one.

Anyway, whoo. What a night. 

I think I'm going to fix some herbal tea and relax. Words have been exchanged and hype has been crashed, but at the end of the day, I think we've learned two things:

1. We have a new cog in the machine that is Sonic's PR department
2. We're bloody thirsty for Sonic news

Keep calm and fish for Froggy, everyone. 

• Thumbs Up 5

6 minutes ago, GeneHF said:

The Department of Dank Meme, Fresh Division

That's my favorite division!

So will you be getting free copies of sonic games? Are you allowed to make any teases on upcoming things? You gotta tell us more, man. I'm legitimately curious, but I don't have any good questions. XP

Of course we're thirsty for Sonic News. We had two shitty games followed by a rather dubious one, not to mention all of the other various bits of uncertain guffins surrounding the franchise. I mean, really, what do people expect?

1 minute ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Of course we're thirsty for Sonic News. We had two shitty games followed by a rather dubious one, not to mention all of the other various bits of uncertain guffins surrounding the franchise. I mean, really, what do people expect?

Well, I guess we can consider this a learning experience. If it's not coming straight from SEGA, don't bother getting hyped at all, it'll probably end in disappointment.

On a side note, do any other fanbases have to deal with this kind of teasing? This is a legit question, because sometimes I feel like it's just us.

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems to be chiefly directed at people who have the balls to like Sonic Adventure. I personally really like the whinging in Sonic Retro that prefaced the whole thing that, gasp, it could be Sonic Adventure 3. Who in their right minds would want one of those? Doesn't help that Arron seems like he's having fun making a living sniping at the Sonic Adventure 3 facebook page on a frequent basis.

7 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Well, I guess we can consider this a learning experience. If it's not coming straight from SEGA, don't bother getting hyped at all, it'll probably end in disappointment.

On a side note, do any other fanbases have to deal with this kind of teasing? This is a legit question, because sometimes I feel like it's just us.

Smash Bros.

There's a new "leak" every other day.

So uh, mods, are we allowed to talk about things we'd like for the new game?

Just now, GeneHF said:

I kind of hope so, or else how will I try to talk up/market the new games? But like I said, I've not been formally briefed. Tonight's kind of a victory lap or last hurrah as a fan before the NDA machine rips out my jugular. So nope, no real teases. Just... you guys may need this.

memento.png

Lol. It's been great having you as part of the community man. You do great work for Retro and you're going to do great work at SEGA. 

• Thumbs Up 7

3 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Crash Bandicoot fans.There have been a lot of hints towards a new Crash game being in development so those fans are waiting for that to be announced.

Oh, and Beyond Good & Evil fans :V

3 minutes ago, Valentine's Playa Kirito said:

Smash Bros.

There's a new "leak" every other day.

Ah. I don't play or follow Smash Bros, but that does sound like something that'd happen. Alrighty.

So uh, mods, are we allowed to talk about things we'd like for the new game?

Haven't we already been doing that for ages? 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, TimmiT said:

I accidentally quoted timmi whoops

@Hyper Enesephus no idea, I haven't been following this thread until just a few hours ago. Just wanted to make sure.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Valentine's Playa Kirito said:

I accidentally quoted timmi whoops

@Hyper Enesephus no idea, I haven't been following this thread until just a few hours ago. Just wanted to make sure.

Well, in any case, what would you like to see?

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Well, in any case, what would you like to see?

Hmm... Well, I'd like to see more than just Sonic playable this time. I'm not against him being the only playable character, but I really wanna play as Tails, Shadow or Silver again.

In terms of actual gameplay, that's a tricky one. I like the Boost games but, I don't think I'd want another one yet. SLW's gameplay was fun but it needed polish, and definitely needed more speed. Although something similar to Adventure where it was slightly more open would be fun.

Also I love Chao so if that came back that'd be great.

I'm... Actually not very picky at all when it comes to Sonic games? I generally like whatever comes out, as long as it isn't like Heroes (level design-wise) or Colors, hehe.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Valentine's Playa Kirito said:

Hmm... Well, I'd like to see more than just Sonic playable this time. I'm not against him being the only playable character, but I really wanna play as Tails, Shadow or Silver again.

In terms of actual gameplay, that's a tricky one. I like the Boost games but, I don't think I'd want another one yet. SLW's gameplay was fun but it needed polish, and definitely needed more speed. Although something similar to Adventure where it was slightly more open would be fun.

Also I love Chao so if that came back that'd be great.

I'm... Actually not very picky at all when it comes to Sonic games? I generally like whatever comes out, as long as it isn't like Heroes (level design-wise) or Colors, hehe.

Wow. Outside of the Chao thing (I just could never get into them) and the Colors comment, I pretty much agree with everything you said.

I do think Heroes had some cool level design here and there, but there were far too many areas where you had to just stop for a minute to beat up enemies.

As for the idea of the Boost style returning, part of me really wants to see it return just because the series was finally beginning to form an identity again after Adventure 2, and I'd hate for Lost World to have just thrown all that away. Apparently, SEGA wants to do something different yet again for the new game, though, so I guess we'll just have to see how it goes...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, GeneHF said:

Guess I'll field this one.

See, much like how there are Sonic 06 fans (who we can all probably agree are the Sonic Scene's special brand of hipster), SA fans are more than welcome to like what they like. What it comes down to is the attitude they present. Classic fans are equally guilty of this, and they blew up when Sonic 4 was delivered and it was not up to any sort of par. I imagine you're referring to the SA3 fangroup on Facebook. A lot of attention got hurled at them because of the caustic attitude presented over there, even if it was a handful of members. Since the group is considered fringe, it's easy to whitewash the whole group as awful. It comes down to presenting what you'd like in a respectful manner.

With something like SA3, it's a REALLY loaded topic, like how Sonic 4 was until 2008. I don't think there's any way Sega can develop SA3 without someone getting upset it's not what they wanted. Also consider that Sonic 06 echoes a lot of the Adventure mechanics so many would easily slot that in as Sega's inability to make a game or question why a cartoon blue hedgehog NEEDS a serious story arc. SA2, Shadow and 06 all come off as REALLY campy because of it and are easier to straight up mock.

But essentially, SA fans are getting hate because of the vocal attitudes of a few. If SA fans want to be not ridiculed, it comes down to cutting off those caustic components since it's clear that SA3 is a desired project and proper expression may be the push Sonic Team needs to go, "...you know what? Let's give it our all!" and make it.

Caustic components exist all across the fanbase, that is not unique to the Sonic Adventure fanbase. Retro itself is a testimony to this. The reason why Adventure fans are getting singled out has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with the fact that what Adventure fans want simply is not compatible with popular opinion and SEGA's own direction with where they want to take the franchise. Yes, we have vocal morons with the Sonic Adventure fans, but so does every other fanbase. And yet no other fanbase gets shat on quite like this.

13 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Caustic components exist all across the fanbase, that is not unique to the Sonic Adventure fanbase. Retro itself is a testimony to this. The reason why Adventure fans are getting singled out has nothing to do with that, and everything to do with the fact that what Adventure fans want simply is not compatible with popular opinion and SEGA's own direction with where they want to take the franchise. Yes, we have vocal morons with the Sonic Adventure fans, but so does every other fanbase. And yet no other fanbase gets shat on quite like this.

Well it seems like he aims it more specifically at the SA3 facebook gang which are quite a nasty bunch from what I've experienced. The types to vitrify just about anything that isn't of the Adventure category. Trolling them may not always be warranted, but we can't act like they haven;t set themselves up for it. Adventure fans by no means are represented by the worst of that facebook group.

Going to be frank, I don't think we are. It's just Arron's usual bait plus it's far earlier than when SEGA usually announces this kind of thing. If they were going to announce a game early, they would've done it by now.