Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

26 minutes ago, GeneHF said:

Classic base had their time with Sonic 4, lest we forget GREEN EYES, PHYSICS, and BOOST PADS. They've largely burned out and just stick to Kega Fusion these days or hoping Taxman descends from the Sun.

He will come brother Gene, if you believe!! The Herald Stealth has told us! Verily if we build it he will come and save us all from our sins!! That or I heard it from some baseball movie..I forget which. Forgive me, trying times.

27 minutes ago, GeneHF said:

Classic base had their time with Sonic 4, lest we forget GREEN EYES, PHYSICS, and BOOST PADS. They've largely burned out and just stick to Kega Fusion these days or hoping Taxman descends from the Sun.

Modern fans usually have to deal with the boost to win criticism or sitting on the eroding island that is Colors and Generations (and ASRT to an extent.)

Boom fans... at least they have a good TV show? I really can't see how fans exist there from the games.

Basically, Adventure fans are now in the position Classic fans were eight+ years ago. I think it also doesn't help that there's an increasing collective consciousness that's going back to SA2 and realizing it may not be as good as they thought it was as a kid and that the general mental perception of the brand is really negative already, despite Generations, Colors, and ASRT getting a pretty good reception. It also doesn't help that there are fans that out some of the Adventure fans as only liking the games because of Chao rather than the rest of the ride. It's like going into Final Fantasy, but you only like Chocobo.

I don't think that any part of the fanbase should be in that position. Frankly, I don't think that the "Adventure fans" would be as "caustic" as it would be if we weren't being constantly targeted and singled out for it. Though then again, it feels like being a Sonic fan in general is an item of shame. I'm sick of it in general.

31 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Well it seems like he aims it more specifically at the SA3 facebook gang which are quite a nasty bunch from what I've experienced. The types to vitrify just about anything that isn't of the Adventure category. Trolling them may not always be warranted, but we can't act like they haven;t set themselves up for it. Adventure fans by no means are represented by the worst of that facebook group.

Frankly, the Adventure 3 group isn't nearly as bad as people have made it either. There's a bad cog in the wheel, but the rest of the group is solid.

Frankly though, that's pretty much why I follow the True Sonic Spirit channel.

Attitudes like

Just Webber getting a crony. Move along, nothing to see here.

Are the kind of unnecessary snips that tend give certain fans a bad image.

And I'll be the last person to say that the entire SA3 facebook is bad, but there is no denying how downhill that facebook has gone. Also, pray tell @shdowhunt60 , what's this cog that got in the wheel?

Don't remember the name honestly. I think he tends to make the more inflammatory posts. The recent one where he called out Webber comes to mind.

1 minute ago, shdowhunt60 said:

Don't remember the name honestly. I think he tends to make the more inflammatory posts. The recent one where he called out Webber comes to mind.

Ah yes, stuff like that and as quote previously,

Just Webber getting a crony.

Are the kind of attitudes that shape the mentality circumventing how many feel about extremists and that facebook page. So, it might be safe to assume that that's whom Aaron is poking fun at, no?

Anyways I'm back you lot. So what's new? Any news?

1 hour ago, GeneHF said:

Guess I'll field this one.

See, much like how there are Sonic 06 fans (who we can all probably agree are the Sonic Scene's special brand of hipster)

But I liked 06 even before ppl thought it was cool...and never really heard of Sonic Scene....

If they're going to be using similar marketing strategies to Unleashed with vehicles, I am quite curious to see if they really are going to attempt something totally ambitious and on such a huge scale again.  I wouldn't even mind if the game were another relatively short, simple title, but I would like to fantasize for a bit about the idea of another Sonic game, rather Boom or otherwise, that has a sense of scale again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ouch. So the news are indeed good. For Gene only. You guys may want to get a chair while you're waiting for leaks. Say Gene, which department you're going to work? Directly with PR or Marketing?

This is incredible!

Congrats to Gene on the new job. Congrats to Sonic fans for creating insurmountable levels of sodium chloride.

• Thumbs Up 5

11 hours ago, Wraith said:

Let's not bullshit here. Sonic Lost World and Sonic Boom being tied to the Wii U didn't do anything but hurt sales, mediocre games or not. The install base is less than half of the PS4 and Xbox One's install base. You're losing sales by default there. Most Wii U exclusives shot themselves in the foot when that happened, seeing as most third party games bomb on the system.

Late response, but the Xbox One's installbase isn't really much better than the Wii U by this point. It's presumably ahead by 3-6 million consoles, but that's it otherwise. It's arguably nowhere near twice as much as the Wii U. Wish we had actual sales numbers to prove this, but MS has deceptively stopped giving out Xbox One sales numbers as of last year (and prior to that decision, has lumped 360 sales numbers with One sales numbers). All we're left with is guesswork, unfortunately.

Unless you're referring to both the PS4 and Xbox One's installbases put together, in which you can disregard this post otherwise.

5 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

That's it, the 25th anniversary game is Sonic-Tails: Nuts and Bolts. 

Sonic%202%20XL.png

"I should had ordered the small chili-dogs!"

• Thumbs Up 8

So it was just an announcement that Gene is joining the Sega team? That's great, congrats dude.

Sonic Retro could've outright said it had nothing to do with the 25th Anniversary game though. That way so many fans wouldn't be salty. =/

• Thumbs Up 5

So....uh. Now that we got that out of the way. What do we talk about now?

• Thumbs Up 2

...Continue speculating and waiting until late March of course! 8D

Or use detective skills to find more hidden clues in Webber's tweets, I guess. And I'll be absent from most of it.

10 minutes ago, Dan-Dude said:

So....uh. Now that we got that out of the way. What do we talk about now?

I suppose we could speculate on what it is SEGA could be planning for Sonic that might "lose them some fans along the way, but hopefully bring in new ones." Sounds a lot like what they were trying to do with Lost World, but that particular experiment didn't work out too well. So, what could they be planning this time?

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

I suppose we could speculate on what it is SEGA could be planning for Sonic that might "lose them some fans along the way, but hopefully bring in new ones." Sounds a lot like what they were trying to do with Lost World, but that particular experiment didn't work out too well. So, what could they be planning this time?

I can tell you one thing: They'll most likely will never bring back the Adventure gameplay ever again as the "losing some fans" part but I pray that I'm wrong.

My best bet is that the Lost World gameplay will return but with some improvements.

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Dan-Dude said:

I can tell you one thing: They'll most likely will never bring back the Adventure gameplay ever again as the "losing some fans" part but I pray that I'm wrong.

My best bet is that the Lost World gameplay will return but with some improvements.

Well, they make it sound like they've got something new in mind, so I don't get the feeling it'll be another Lost World-style game. I don't think they're talking about returning to the boost, either, because I doubt that would "lose some fans along the way," at least not enough to bother bringing it up, of course. 

With all the talk of this year having a "Classic-focus" and "bringing Sonic back to his roots" (at least, I think I've heard something like that at some point), I'm thinking there are two (or three) possibilities. They could be planning to give Sonic a more "classic" gameplay style, which I think could mean either fine-tuning the "Classic" gameplay from Generations and giving it to "Modern" Sonic, possibly translating it to 3D, or they could be planning on bringing giving us a game with a modified version of Sonic's "Adventure" gameplay (which may be either more or less fun than the gameplay in Adventure 1 or 2), just without the other playable characters. Either way, I think we can expect the new game to look very "Classic."

This could also tell me that SEGA's planning on going full-on "Classic" and rebooting the series with "Classic" Sonic and all that jazz, either doing away with "Modern" Sonic altogether, or maybe relegating him to spinoff titles, which... I'm sure would "lose them some fans".... Now I do know that someone said "Modern" Sonic "will not be going anywhere," but, knowing SEGA, I think this is a possibility to keep in mind.

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

Well, they make it sound like they've got something new in mind, so I don't get the feeling it'll be another Lost World-style game. I don't think they're talking about returning to the boost, either, because I doubt that would "lose some fans along the way," at least not enough to bother bringing it up, of course. 

With all the talk of this year having a "Classic-focus" and "bringing Sonic back to his roots" (at least, I think I've heard something like that at some point), I'm thinking there are two (or three) possibilities. They could be planning to give Sonic a more "classic" gameplay style, which I think could mean either fine-tuning the "Classic" gameplay from Generations and giving it to "Modern" Sonic, possibly translating it to 3D, or they could be planning on bringing giving us a game with a modified version of Sonic's "Adventure" gameplay (which may be either more or less fun than the gameplay in Adventure 1 or 2), just without the other playable characters. Either way, I think we can expect the new game to look very "Classic."

This could also tell me that SEGA's planning on going full-on "Classic" and rebooting the series with "Classic" Sonic and all that jazz, either doing away with "Modern" Sonic altogether, or maybe relegating him to spinoff titles, which would be... aaahhhhhhhh.... Now I do know that someone said "Modern" Sonic "will not be going anywhere," but, knowing SEGA, I think this is a possibility to keep in mind.

More Classic pandering? Why am I not suprised. Is it too much to ask for a non linear fully 3D Sonic game with other playable characters again? I mean I guess I'll still enjoy whatever SEGA pops out but haven't we gotten enough Classic influence already? Why can't we do it vice-versa and stick 2D to handheld titles and 3D to console titles?

Actually, why not just have separate Sonic series of games where each of them have all the different gameplay styles (Adventure,Boost,Classic) and BOOM everyone's happy.:)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Dan-Dude said:

More Classic pandering? Why am I not suprised. Is it too much to ask for a non linear fully 3D Sonic game with other playable characters again? I mean I guess I'll still enjoy whatever SEGA pops out but haven't we gotten enough Classic influence already? Why can't we do it vice-versa and stick 2D to handheld titles and 3D to console titles?

Actually, why not just have separate spin-off series where each of them have all different gameplay styles and BOOM everyone's happy.:)

Well, I would really enjoy it if SEGA went the NSMB route and had both 2D and 3D Sonic games on consoles, since I don't really like having to go to handhelds to get my 2D fix. I don't know why, I just can't fully get into handheld gaming.

Also, you didn't really address the specific gameplay styles I proposed. As annoyed as I am that SEGA decided to abandon the boost style when it was getting such good reception, if SEGA does have any 3D "classically-inspired" gameplay in mind for the next title, then I'm all too eager to see what it is. Who knows, it could be really fun.

As for the aesthetics, I just think it's a given that we'll probably get a pseudo-classic look for this game, like with Lost World, though maybe they'll surprise us. SEGA's kind of unpredictable.

• Thumbs Up 2

Late to the party i guess, but congrats on getting the job Gene!

1 hour ago, Gabz Girl said:

...Continue speculating and waiting until late March of course! 8D

Or use detective skills to find more hidden clues in Webber's tweets, I guess. And I'll be absent from most of it.

We'll be doing a mix of both I guess.