Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

1 hour ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

Sega has a very bad habit of staying glued to the classic era too much.

Might be because it was by far the best period for Sonic games. Both critically and technically.

They aren't wrong for wanting to focus more on the classic era in terms of style or whatever. They just need to be able to understand the depth of their own games, rather than try to replicate it at a surface-level (i.e Sonic 4 and Gens). 

• Thumbs Up 8

1 hour ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

Something I wouldn't mind if they got the formula right, and had Classic Sonic himself playable

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Scar said:

levels of sodium chloride.

!!  :o:)  

There is a zone that has not happened yet, isn't there!  I do somewhat hope that nintendo will share some of the open world technology they are using for the new Legend of Zelda with SEGA and then there could be a huge salt flat with plateaus and mountains as a zone in a game in five or so years.  salt flats are a place that is often used to test extremely fast engines or vehicles etc, so it would make sense for there to be a salt lake / salt flat type of zone in Sonic some day!!

2 hours ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

I wasn't aware that by definition two times in the past seventeen years could be considered a habit.

Sure they have injected a few classic style things into the modern gameplay in the last couple year's since Unleashed like the 2.5D sections etc, but saying that is being "glued to the classic era" would be like pointing out the hub world's in Unleashed and '06 and saying Sonic Team are far too Adventure oriented, which is also not true. 

I only count two games recently that truely tried to run with the more classic style focus, and weren't just using the classic brand as misplaced advertising and interview hype promising a return to form, and one was an anniversary celebration game that rightfully had the return of classic stages and as a suprise to everyone the classic style Sonic as a playable character. The other was..ugh..Sonic 4. The two released pretty close to each other which considering time between main game releases etc seemed like they were focusing on the classic era more but I would not call it a habit in any sense of the word myself.

• Thumbs Up 6

Honestly if they go and do something drastic like another "sonic 4" it would be really cool if they made a non-cg 2D platformer, possibly with hand drawn sprite animations (like skullgirls) and anime-style cutscenes like the sonic riders intro, which even if it wasn't the best game, that intro was pretty rad. 

My bet is they have two anniversary games though.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, RazorToshiba said:

Honestly if they go and do something drastic like another "sonic 4" it would be really cool if they made a non-cg 2D platformer, possibly with hand drawn sprite animations (like skullgirls) and anime-style cutscenes like the sonic riders intro, which even if it wasn't the best game, that intro was pretty rad. 

Or like Rayman Origins.

Spoiler

sonic_boom_by_orioto-d46rgoe.jpg

I would pretty much  tumblr_ntg637LrqU1uouf1fo1_500.gif if that actually happened.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 hours ago, Dan-Dude said:

Actually, why not just have separate Sonic series of games where each of them have all the different gameplay styles (Adventure,Boost,Classic) and BOOM everyone's happy.:)

Because instead of (ideally) every Sonic fan buying every Sonic game, it splits the fanbase and only a fraction of it buys each game.

• Thumbs Up 7

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Because instead of (ideally) every Sonic fan buying every Sonic game, it splits the fanbase and only a fraction of it buys each game.

Well, while ideally, SEGA should release 3D Sonic games that can please everyone, I don't think there's anything wrong with releasing (good) 2D games alongside the 3D ones to make the Classic crowd happy. I don't even consider myself a part of that crowd (the only classic game I really like is S3&K) and I would really enjoy that. 

• Thumbs Up 5

But then it only reinforces the fanbase to split once again. I rather them just use all the the elements and make a good game out of it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Or like Rayman Origins.

Spoiler sonic_boom_by_orioto-d46rgoe.jpg

I would pretty much  tumblr_ntg637LrqU1uouf1fo1_500.gif if that actually happened.

For a mile second there I thought this was legit o.o Man, I would buy a Sonic game that looks like this and plays like the Genesis ten times, I shit you not.

Or like Rayman Origins.

Spoiler sonic_boom_by_orioto-d46rgoe.jpg

For a mile second there I thought this was legit o.o Man, I would buy a Sonic game that looks like this and plays like the Genesis ten times, I shit you not.

• Thumbs Up 9

Although that picture is epic.....Sonic should not even shift in art style of Rayman Origins. Maybe, but not now, not with the series currently how it is....

Why?

Because the fanbase is an unstable mess, to make a 2D Sonic game that takes on a painting/anime drawing style instead of sprites or pre-rendered. You are asking for a split of the fanbase even more.

Remember this was the fan base that, 16 years ago, bitched about green eyes.

Now we have people bitching about 2D or 3D, now imagine this.

People bitching about 2D with painting/anime drawing, pixel/sprites, or pre-rendered.

AS a spin-off title later down when people start to not bitch about Sonic, THEN you can do a Rayman Origins type deal. But as of current....you'd be making headache for yourself.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

Although that picture is epic.....Sonic should not even shift in art style of Rayman Origins. Maybe, but not now, not with the series currently how it is....

Why?

Because the fanbase is an unstable mess, to make a 2D Sonic game that takes on a painting/anime drawing style instead of sprites or pre-rendered. You are asking for a split of the fanbase even more.

People bitching about 2D with painting/anime drawing, pixel/sprites, or pre-rendered.

I really feel that we need to go back to basics again. A 2D title in Rayman Origins graphics would be nice. 

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

Why?

AS a spin-off title later down when people start to not bitch about Sonic, THEN you can do a Rayman Origins type deal. But as of current....you'd be making headache for yourself.

No, by your logic, they'd bitch anyway because it'd still be a new style in addition to the ones we already have. Time on its own isn't going to make people stop bitching, SEGA making high quality games with wide appeal that stick with one style per series/sub-series will... for the most part. 

I was just saying that a beautiful, lush hand drawn style would be a really cool one to see for a theoretical 2D sub-series, you don't have to be a party pooper.

• Thumbs Up 1

wow geez just cuz i mention a 2D gameplay style doesn't mean i'm saying "3D is absolute trash" because honestly why can't we have both?

Imagine this though, take the sonic channel wallpapers and desing the characters like that in a sketchy world environment 

59 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Do people really equate art styles with different gameplay styles and sub-fandoms now? Is SA2 not a real Adventure game because it looks different? Is Colors not a modern/boost game because it doesn't have Unleashed's lighting? How deep does the rabbit hole go on this one?

Colors is not a modern/boost game because Colors throws away Unleashed/Generations style in the form of non speed momentum based 2D platforming and wisp....

1 hour ago, Hyper Enesephus said:

No, by your logic, they'd bitch anyway because it'd still be a new style in addition to the ones we already have. Time on its own isn't going to make people stop bitching, SEGA making high quality games with wide appeal that stick with one style per series/sub-series will... for the most part. 

I was just saying that a beautiful, lush hand drawn style would be a really cool one to see for a theoretical 2D sub-series, you don't have to be a party pooper.

Never said they wouldn't bitch bout that, or any change. Sega is what people would call, a people pleaser. Thing is, the people they intend to please don't even know what made the fucking games in the first place...that and SEGA done lost those who did remember.

And you must forgive me, not my intention to rain on your float....

1 hour ago, Tails spin said:

I really feel that we need to go back to basics again. A 2D title in Rayman Origins graphics would be nice. 

First ask, how much people would that piss off? We are talking HALF of the Sonic fanbase that want 3D. And then there is the case of,not all people like the classics nor played them. Or even, the only 2D Sonic game they played was the Rush series.

Then ask yourself, what is basics?

27 minutes ago, RazorToshiba said:

wow geez just cuz i mention a 2D gameplay style doesn't mean i'm saying "3D is absolute trash" because honestly why can't we have both?

Imagine this though, take the sonic channel wallpapers and desing the characters like that in a sketchy world environment 

Because this is Sonic fan base.....logic? What thou is that?

2D Sections in 3D, bitch.

2D game, with might as well auto run 3D section(*cough*Sonic Colors),bitch(rightfully tho).

1 minute ago, Jango said:

I'm sure even people who want a 3D game would like a 2D one if it is great above all things, art style included.

You'd be surprise, not even good ol Sonic CD design Sonic can save the Sonic fanbase....

It's funny because, Sonic CD was a spin-off TITLE, it was non-canon once, it wasn't suppose to contribute to the main story. But SEGA done treating it like a holy grail along S3&K. So if we get a spin off title, don't hang up on it YET.

1 hour ago, Nepenthe said:

Is Colors not a modern/boost game because it doesn't have Unleashed's lighting?

That is correct, the different lighting made the whole game suck

I wouldn't mind another new 2D Sonic game, but I'd much prefer a 3D one. As it stands I haven't enjoyed any 2D Sonic games enough to want to keep coming back to it. Even Generations' Classic Sonic levels weren't that great.

43 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

Colors is not a modern/boost game because Colors throws away Unleashed/Generations style in the form of non speed momentum based 2D platforming and wisp....

That doesn't really address the point I made, which is that there's little sense in separating the gameplay styles and thus the fandom by graphical style.

28 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

That doesn't really address the point I made, which is that there's little sense in separating the gameplay styles and thus the fandom by graphical style.

True....You speak truth....but I just felt like I should say it ya know.

2 hours ago, WakanoBaka said:

Sonic CD was a spin-off TITLE

I see what you did there

1 hour ago, Valentine's Playa Kirito said:

That is correct, the different lighting made the whole game suck

I wouldn't mind another new 2D Sonic game, but I'd much prefer a 3D one. As it stands I haven't enjoyed any 2D Sonic games enough to want to keep coming back to it. Even Generations' Classic Sonic levels weren't that great.

the reason for Colors having a different lighting engine is because the "Hedgehog engine" was too powerful for the Wii's seriously dated hardware, if they had held off and released it on wii U (But really, who's gonna hold off for years to put a game on a console when it's already done) it would have supported the same shaders as gens/unleashed, the gameplay style however, is basically the same "Boost to win" style just with more platforming elements thrown in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Jango said:

I'm sure even people who want a 3D game would like a 2D one if it is great above all things, art style included.

I want them to do both. 

Like that time they were doing that. You know when the released both 2d hand held games and 3d console games. Almost as if its thats possible, like sega and a lot of the fanbase forgot you could do that. 

• Thumbs Up 6