Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

I've always considered Sonic to be a platformer with an emphasis on speed. Speed isn't the main focus, but rather an element that gives the game that special charm. By which I mean:

1. Levels that take roughly 30 seconds to 2 minutes.

2. Enemies that go down in one hit.

3. Gameplay that keeps the flow going. You're never locked in a room for a minute defeating wave after wave of enemies.

4. Platforming sections that do exist but can be done within 15-20 seconds or so.

5. Bosses that take 8 hits and, if skilled, can be beaten in 20-25 seconds.

6. A game that only takes a few hours to beat.

7. Sonic being just the right balance of speed for it to stand out yet not make it difficult to see what's coming up.

No, I don't want the speed to be taken out of Sonic. But, to be honest, Sonic games are more than just speed. It is a platformer. Sonic being fast doesn't excuse the game for completely ignoring this.

• Thumbs Up 9

I don't think this means we're not seeing regular Sonic this year. 

Maybe they just think we'll assume that he'll be around so much that they don't even feel the need to mention it, OR maybe Classic was meant to be the ONLY focus this year, and they put Boom in there because of Fire and Ice's delays.

30 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Missing Modern Sonic.

sonic25th.png

Full story here: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/02/no-modern-sonic-licensing-rights-to-be-issued-in-2016/

Initially it reads like there is no longer a modern Sonic license, but the interview is about the 25th anniversary so it might just be a year thing.

With the unpredictability of this franchise, this worries me. I hope it's nothing. Maybe Classic Sonic in this case is just referring to the non-Boom franchise, so Modern & Classic lumped into one category? Probably not.

Like I said I hope I'm worried over nothing.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Hyp3hat said:

Is it though? Every major fan, and by extension what you see on Youtube (which is where a lot of de facto marketing happens for a game) is not wild about the 3DS versions of Lost World, Generations and Boom. As markets for these consoles shrink, the amount of people who pick up something like Sonic Generations 3DS just because it looks fun on a whim is going to shrink. It's not the same as it was when everybody bought their kid a Gameboy (except my parents, goddammit). 

This is more of a 'the games industry is going into the toilet' point rather than anything expressly Sonic related, mind.  

Well that's because Handhelds are so underwhelmed now a days with phones out and everything.

Shit, Sega need to hire some fan game creators, and tell em they get 30%. Shit, how much Sonic fan games you'd pay for? Sega knows these fan games exist, they just never thought of calling up some of these developers and giving them a job. Shit not like you gotta really pay them, how much Sonic fan games had a budget? NONE, just pay them the 30% from sales.

• Thumbs Up 1

^So Much More

surprised no one stated making Bently Jones related conspiracies yet

lol

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Azoo said:

I think it says a lot for people to not only believe that the Sonic games without different genres within it are too simple, but also that apparently these characters couldn't be interesting if they tried to fit a similar mold to the base gameplay.

Look, I enjoyed Knuckles and Rouge's treasure hunting in SA2, Gamma's shooting stages in SA1, and Werehog's brawler gameplay. There were definitely parts that I thought were well-handled and fun to play, no doubt. But I'm not gonna sugarcoat it either: they (at least in their current state) don't fit standard Sonic gameplay for various reasons, when in all honesty they should've.

[...]

I've mentioned before that Knuckles could easily have stages based around treasure hunting that still follow these above rules and I think it'd fit in just fine (imagine flowy levels with brief more open areas where the radar starts beeping quicker and leads you to look for the emerdood, and then after you get it you keep going until the end where the third piece is at).

Of course I'm just babblin' and regurgitating things I've said before but I'm having fun proving my point I guess. There's room for the game to breathe and give characters their own identity, whether that means twisting to alternate takes on the levels or just doing it like Sonic. Soooo, yeah idk. I don't see why it'd be boring or uninteresting.

A game like this is eventually on its way....  I feel like Tails and Knuckles had to be reined in for SA2 due to having too many chances for players to glide out of a well programmed space, or to fly even more so if Tails was still in that format, as there are even plenty of places that the Sonic/Shadow moveset does this. 

I do feel like with at least some to even substantial cooperation between the groups now, it might be possible that some of the open world technology from what is still being called at the moment ( though to be revealed some time soon) "Zelda Wii U", will be used with Sonic someday and will tremendously revitalize the potential of Tails and Knuckles as well as surely other characters!! 

My uninformed impression at least is that the world in this upcoming Legend of Zelda will be much larger than any zone would need to be, will support surreal land such as platforms, probably requires a lot of texture art, but must have very good collision handling and physics.  Sonic of course doesn't have to be fully open world but the possibility of zones being created that do not have much empty space, and have many layers should a character fall or fly, would make a huge difference!! 

5 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

sonic25th.png

Full story here: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/02/no-modern-sonic-licensing-rights-to-be-issued-in-2016/

Initially it reads like there is no longer a modern Sonic license, but the interview is about the 25th anniversary so it might just be a year thing.

Perhaps this is an evolution of that "Legacy Sonic" thing from a while back, and they're just folding Modern into Classic.  On second thoughts, though, that wouldn't quite fit with the way all the Classic-oriented merchandise we've seen so far is very definitely Classic Sonic without really a hint of Modern.

4 hours ago, WakanoBaka said:

Well that's because Handhelds are so underwhelmed now a days with phones out and everything.

Shit, Sega need to hire some fan game creators, and tell em they get 30%. Shit, how much Sonic fan games you'd pay for? Sega knows these fan games exist, they just never thought of calling up some of these developers and giving them a job. Shit not like you gotta really pay them, how much Sonic fan games had a budget? NONE, just pay them the 30% from sales.

Arguably, they already did this by hiring StealthTax to work on the remastered mobile versions; it was reported a while back that there was even talk at one point of having them work with an Australian Sega branch on a Sonic 4 Episode 3.  Although I suppose a closer analogy would be that Mega Man / Street Fighter fangame Capcom promoted for an anniversary a few years back.

• Thumbs Up 1

About that licensing page, we've been seeing the 'pixel' Sonic name crop up a few times ever since these licensing articles and events got started.

Maybe they have rolled the whole main series as 'Classic' like others have suggested. The problem then is you've now got the name 'Classic Sonic' referring to the SEGA brand and not the black-eyed design of Sonic. Maybe that's where the 'pixel' name comes in so that we still have a name for each version of Sonic's design.

I mean, I don't think that's what's actually happened but I suppose it's one way of explaining it.

• Thumbs Up 2

10 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

having a bunch of characters didn't drive away me from the series. And that wasn't the reason other people left. it was low quality in general because of the games like Sonic-06 is why. And the adventure games didn't make folk leave, they are still among the more popular Sonic titles for a reason.

And yes I do treat other series that way, I like a lot of variety, And I refuse to play a Mario game often if he is the only playable character.

A game full of smaller games all themed in the same world and stories is way more fun to me then playing a game that does only 1 thing greatly or playing other games that have nothing to do with each other and also focus on their 1 thing to much.

But do those smaller games really have to completely change the game's genre? There's a difference between variety and having a lack of focus and identity crisis. Sonic 3 had 3 playable characters using the same core gameplay but each with his own abilities that changed how you could tackle the levels. Same thing with Tails in SA1 still sharing the same style as Sonic, but putting its own spin on it.

Freedom Planet is another great example that does that, since the 2 characters don't feel like they're from different games.

Variety is great and all, but the Adventure games idea of variety is completely changing genres, we literally go from Speedy platforming to freaking fishing.

There's a good reason why no other series tried this(to my knowledge at least), what if you were playing Pokemon, and then all of a sudden the game becomes a Soccer management menu driven game for no real reason? Would that still be fine?

• Thumbs Up 3

I never understood the hate for alternate gameplay. It's not that it's trying to change the Sonic gameplay, it's just a way of defining the character and his/her goal. I don't mind all characters sharing the same gameplay ala Heroes/06 but I don't see what the big deal is. Mutiple gameplay in a game is fun if you ask me.:P

• Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, Detective Hogfather said:

sonic25th.png

I think Modern Sonic falls under Classic here.

• Thumbs Up 2

It does sound like the Modern version would fall under the Classic label in this instance.

Splitting the esthetics into the older Sonic versions we all know and love aka what we refer to as 'Classic' and 'Modern', abeings the Classic brand, the same Sonic in different eras, lumped together in this instance, and the other brand being Boom Sonic, which not only hails from a different in game universe and looks different than his other 'classic' counterparts, but is a lot newer on the scene.

Either that or Pixel Sonic is the new terminology for what we call Classic Sonic. And Modern is now labeled as Classic.

Or it's just human error in reporting on the licencing magazines behalf >.<;

Well, have we forgotten they said BOOM was Modern Sonic now anyways?

It's just following through with what we've been told. So the correct label probably is Classic/Legacy Sonic now.

Well, have we forgotten they said BOOM was Modern Sonic now anyways?

It's just following through with what we've been told. So the correct label probably is Classic/Legacy Sonic now.

Wow, I definitely forgot. Can you remind me with a source please?

By any chance is it this?

"http://www.usgamer.net/articles/whats-next-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-and-friends

I ask whether this new Sonic game represents the future of the franchise. Omar explains, "Sonic Boom is meant to branch away from the classic/legacy Sonic. Our plan is to go forward with both the modern Sonic and the legacy Sonic, but the Sonic Team will handle the legacy side of things in Japan. For us, the Western initiatives will tie into the toys, merchandizing, animation – movies potentially even. We're branching out into the more upbeat adventure style theme for Sonic Boom."

Boom Sonic is now Modern Sonic.

"Modern" Sonic is now Classic Sonic. "

Source - gamefaqs

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if they're using the logic of 'the most recent = modern' then... yeah... but the reality... ehhhh not so much.

No matter if it's what's really the truth or not, if Sega's clumping classic/modern into the 'classic' or 'legacy' thing for now then I'm sure the game series as a whole is what they're talking about.

• Thumbs Up 2

I personally do not care which Sonic they use since they are all Sonic to me, just different designs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I care more about what SEGA's (and by extension, Sonic Team) attitude towards the series, and what they choose to call it is reflective of that. If they're going to call, whatever Sonic they're going to use, "Legacy Sonic" or "Classic Sonic", what does that reflect of their mindset on how they're going to make Sonic games?

1 hour ago, Stasis said:

By any chance is it this?

"http://www.usgamer.net/articles/whats-next-for-sonic-the-hedgehog-and-friends

I ask whether this new Sonic game represents the future of the franchise. Omar explains, "Sonic Boom is meant to branch away from the classic/legacy Sonic. Our plan is to go forward with both the modern Sonic and the legacy Sonic, but the Sonic Team will handle the legacy side of things in Japan. For us, the Western initiatives will tie into the toys, merchandizing, animation – movies potentially even. We're branching out into the more upbeat adventure style theme for Sonic Boom."

Boom Sonic is now Modern Sonic.

"Modern" Sonic is now Classic Sonic. "

Source - gamefaqs

There you go folks.

(If you cover Sonic news so much why do you need so many sources when you should already know it that being the case? Just wondering...)

40 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I care more about what SEGA's (and by extension, Sonic Team) attitude towards the series, and what they choose to call it is reflective of that. If they're going to call, whatever Sonic they're going to use, "Legacy Sonic" or "Classic Sonic", what does that reflect of their mindset on how they're going to make Sonic games?

Considering all of the sudden titles every Sonic has currently, it seems almost impossible to tell what their mindset is... If anything it seems to be more confused than ever, which IS a tad concerning regarding the 25th title, but we'll see how it turns out.

Geez, that was uncalled for Chris Knopps, people have lifes besides internet... If I was Hogfather I would be pissed.

In any case, Boom is now Modern, Modern is now Classic, Classic is now Pixel? What the hell? And who is Legacy Sonic? WHAT THE F*CK IS A SONIC?! I'll wait for SEGA to oficially explain their shit, because so far we only got mixed information.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

Geez, that was uncalled for Chris Knopps, people have lifes besides internet... If I was Hogfather I would be pissed.

In any case, Boom is now Modern, Modern is now Classic, Classic is now Pixel? What the hell? And who is Legacy? WHAT THE F*CK IS A SONIC?! I'll wait for SEGA to oficially explain their shit, because so far we only gotten mixed information.

That's basically my issue with Sonic.

So nowadays as a result whenever I post news about the franchise I usually refer to characters by both names.

Classic/Pixel Sonic

Modern/Legacy Sonic

But as far as BOOM Sonic that's what I still refer to him as.

The whole Pixel Sonic title in mind, I still think there's something to that rumor about being able to switch graphics or whatever in the next game. I still find that a neat idea, rumor or not.

Regarding HF being pissed, well... That's just my thought. If it was something from years ago it would be understandable, but that's recent, easy to remember stuff, especially for a reporter. I do the same kind of stuff, stayed fresh in my mind hence why I brought it up. I've got a life too but still, not hard to remember such recent topics, especially if one has a hobby of reporting such things in the first place.