Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

How does this sound?

The game is titled "Sonic Universe" and features Sonic once again running into different versions of himself ala Sonic Generations probably Pixel Sonic, Modern Sonic, and Adventure Sonic.

The game's storyline features some sort of interdimensional crisis climaxing in even more versions of Sonic meeting up to defeat the big bad.

Meanwhile, the comic's universes are also affected by this crisis and a parallel story plays out featuring multiple versions of Sonic from comic history teaming up including Classic Archie/SatAM Sonic, Sonic X, and Boom Sonic leading up to their brief cameo in one of the game's final cutscenes as all of the Sonic's from across the different realities team up to take on Eggman.

4 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

How does this sound?

Too many issues with licensing to ever make it work.

• Thumbs Up 9

18 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I don't even care about most of these universes/Sonics. And tbh I'm not really interested in a "multiple Sonics" thing in general. They just did that in Generations, the idea needs to rest a bit longer if they're ever going to use it again.

Unless they did a Skylanders-esque game, then I feel they could get away with that. I'm not a fan of Skylanders, but I would actually really love a Skylanders-esque Sonic game. Big worlds to go through, lots of enemies to destroy, puzzles to solve, and, of course, tons of playable characters, but more Sonic-y with loops, slopes and springs. In a game like this, I could see SEGA making Classic and Boom Sonic playable characters, though, of course, they would have to make those versions of the other characters playable as well. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Komodin said:

Sega actually cares enough about the Archie Sonic series to consider making a game adaptation of it?

More specifically, Sega of Japan?

I've been bouncing around the idea of how they can get the different eras involved without it completely turning into Sonic Generations 2.

Maybe they could have the main threat be something that's affecting the Classic and Modern parts of the timeline as well as the Sonic Boom parallel world (let's assume that's what Boom is for the sake of discussion).

The three perspectives don't actually realise just how widespread the threat is and stay within their own worlds until near the end of the game when they eventually briefly meet up to finish things off.

I'd say it's still too early to have them cross paths again but if they're going to do it then having them stay in their places for longer could help a bit.

40 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I don't even care about most of these universes/Sonics. And tbh I'm not really interested in a "multiple Sonics" thing in general. They just did that in Generations, the idea needs to rest a bit longer if they're ever going to use it again.

The multiple Sonics thing sounds lazy in my opinion :(

13 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Why not simply reuse older locations in a modern, straightforward game? No timeline shenanigans, no multiple Sonics running around. Like, imagine Unleashed or Colors but instead of completely new levels the locations are instead a mish-mash different levels from various Sonic games past?

Better, but still not something I'm really that interested in. I'd rather have a game that stands on its own rather than just prostrating before the previous ones. They could probably plot-justify a few returning locations (like, say, set part of it on Angel Island and then draw a few levels from S3&K), but a whole game of it would be pretty dull.

• Thumbs Up 6

The overall appeal of a game that reused levels in this manner would depend entirely on the gameplay and the level design around it, to be honest. Granted, I'm not arguing this because I actually want such a game to exist; just that I don't see much of a theoretical problem with the approach if we're trying to avoid a Gens 2.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah man, bring fucking Angel Island back. And while you're still at it, bring Hidrocity zone and modernize it :D

Seriously tho, that's one zone I would not mind revisiting. Or anything from Little Planet. My dream game would be the return of Little Planet, with brand new playable zazzy zones. Looking at you Sonic 4! A background element is not enough!

I sure wouldn't mind seeing another water level similar in appearance to Hydrocity zone or an Eggman base similar to the Death Egg. I miss how levels looked in the classic games. While I enjoy playing some of the 3D games, I never liked how levels in SA, SA2, 06 or the storybook games looked like. I don't like City Escape, I don't like Emerald Coast, I sure as fuck don't like Soleanna, and I'm not even that fond of Spagonia, even if it came from one of my favorite Sonic games.  I liked the level themes that Colors and Lost World introduced, even if the latter's similarity to Mario was obvious. What I don't like is the idea that the firey/volcano level should be the last level. Please, Sega, save that role for one of Eggman's high-tech bases or space or a combination of both. Lava Reef wasn't a final level but that didn't take away anything from it.

• Thumbs Up 6

What about a game that merges levels past? (Carnival Garden, Chemical Labyrinth, Ice Battery, Oil Hill)

I'd rather Sega made separate games, so I can have a "pixel Sonic game" without having to play modern or Boom Sonic stages, which I don't like that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, that was a nice touch they added, but it's never really shown to us. I believe Knuckles mentions it during his first cutscene ("-without the Master Emerald, Angel Island will fall into the ocean"), other than that, one could only know it's Angel Island by looking at the map through the pause menu, which the player is never supposed to do :x And sure it is pretty modest , but still a nice touch, and they even brough back Ice Cap, Sandopolis (the sandboard sub-game), and Lava Reef, if you use your imagination, it can be the second part of Red Mountain :) But imagine a game where the hub-world IS the WHOLE Angel Island... With not only returning zones (I would buy it twice just to see Hidden Palace in blazing 3D/HD), but new zones too. That would be so awesome.

So Polygon posted a lengthy reflection piece on Sonic the Hedgehog, mostly from Big Red Button's Bob Rafei. It's in the Rise of Lyric thread, per NintendoEverything, which links to the original article. But there was something from Iizuka near the end that said:

“Because [Rise of Lyric] tried a different take on Sonic from the norm — and considering the results — this made Sonic Team feel that we want to build a Sonic title which represents the evolution of the Sonic series over the last 20 years.” –  Iizuka

This clearly means Sonic Generations 2 right guys Let the speculation run rampant again. I personally am looking at the word evolution. I just find that word...interesting when Iizuka uses it.

I'd like to interpret that statement as a game that shows how far the series has come over the years and finally, starts to move on to a more focused direction. That's just my inner optimist talking tho.

• Thumbs Up 6

Personally I honestly have no interest in the idea of another Sonic Generations any time soon… especially if it’s just another game where you control multiple Sonics… I am so done with multiple playable characters being limited to only different versions of Sonic. :Y

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Personally I honestly have no interest in the idea of another Sonic Generations any time soon… especially if it’s just another game where you control multiple Sonics… I am so done with multiple playable characters being limited to only different versions of Sonic. :Y

Thats about where I'm at.

I kinda wanna play as cool non sonic dudes. Becase they are cool and exists. Though if say this anniversary marks the return of multiple dudes. If  the usual writers get their hands on them. I sorta fear what will happen. -looks at boom shadow- eug. Hopefully they fix that.

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Thats about where I'm at.

I kinda wanna play as cool non sonic dudes. Becase they are cool and exists. Though if say this anniversary marks the return of multiple dudes. If  the usual writers get their hands on them. I sorta fear what will happen. -looks at boom shadow- eug. Hopefully they fix that.

4 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

I have no interest in rehashes of older games in general, in my opinion. 

I think there's a chance you'll b disappointed. Generations was a critical success for the most part, and this is the 25th anniversary. I'm expecting nostalgia overload to drive this title perhaps even more than in Generations.

Hopefully, we'll find out soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

I think there's a chance you'll b disappointed. Generations was a critical success for the most part, and this is the 25th anniversary. I'm expecting nostalgia overload to drive this title perhaps even more than in Generations.

Hopefully, we'll find out soon.

My hope for this series was fading anyway so it's no skin off my back. 

I still think we're over-estimating how important the 25th anniversary is for the series.  Just because it ends on a five or a zero doesn't mean it's going to be that big of a deal, especially when the only hype we've had surrounding it (that isn't fan-made) is a change in social media logos.

• Thumbs Up 7