Awoo.

Detective SSMB & The Case of the Sonic 25th Anniversary "P.g. 100 is the best... food discussion started."

Badnik Mechanic

4 minutes ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

I agree with Nep and others. I'm honestly sick of these riddles. I think Aaron meme-ing up social media and all of this is doing WAY more harm than good.

I also don't like this notion of "shame on people being disappointed". People can feel how they want to feel and they absolutely can feel free to criticize as long as it's done constructively and maturely. Which as far as I can see has been done very well so far. I think it's extremely fair for people to be very annoyed at how Sega has been going on about this.

I also think Sega have demonstrated very poor back-up planning skills. Why did 2015 have to go without a single game for a traditional system? One example; Sonic Generations for Wii U ported by Tantalus. A team who's already demonstrated outstanding PS360-to-Wii U porting skills with Mass Effect 3 and ESPECIALLY Deus Ex: Human Revolution: Director's Cut. Know how we know they've done such outstanding work? because Nintendo chose them to do Twilight Princess HD. Yep.

Point is, there was no excuse for skipping a year, even if Fire & Ice was obviously planned to be pushed out last year until this change of heart.

Another easy idea would've been to finally put Dimps on a 3DS-exclusive original Sonic game to finally truly succeed the Rush and Advance series before it. They've barely done a thing since Lost World 3DS was done (and their Sonic handheld team is separate from the Street Fighter team I believe), That never happened.

I feel Sega is the only one to blame for digging this hole they've found themselves in. And their actions right now are not what they should be doing to repair their image.

Hopefully I've explained my thoughts clearly. :)

I understand exactly where your coming from trust me I want to see a teaser of the game.  As for what i just highlighted it's because let's be real here they said don't expect anything major. Yeah an announcement of an announcement is kinda lame but to be honest I wasn't really expecting much out of this. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

I understand exactly where your coming from trust me I want to see a teaser of the game.  As for what i just highlighted it's because let's be real here they said don't expect anything major. Yeah an announcement of an announcement is kinda lame but to be honest I wasn't really expecting much out of this. 

Oh of course, I guess I was meaning "in general" and not squarely at the event I guess. :P

There's too much emphasis being put on this 'Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3' thing. You don't talk about and tease an April Fools joke/gag constantly, because then what purpose does it have? "Here's a new trailer" BAM! 'Big's fishing etc "Ha! You got me!" but in this case it's like "oh right" and I don't see how it's funny anymore. It feels like a reverse April Fools joke, with all the joke stuff being in place of what we'd usually be given regarding a new game, and the April Fools day joke being an actual teaser/trailer. I don't know what's going on but considering its 25 years of a franchise I've followed and loved since 91, I'm not as excited as I should be. 

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Stasis said:

There's too much emphasis being put on this 'Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3' thing. You don't talk about and tease an April Fools joke/gag constantly, because then what purpose does it have? "Here's a new trailer" BAM! 'Big's fishing etc "Ha! You got me!" but in this case it's like "oh right" and I don't see how it's funny anymore. It feels like a reverse April Fools joke, with all the joke stuff being in place of what we'd usually be given regarding a new game, and the April Fools day joke being an actual teaser/trailer. I don't know what's going on but considering its 25 years of a franchise I've followed and loved since 91, I'm not as excited as I should be. 

That's the sentiment running through most fans minds right now.

It was all well and good for a time, when the communities needed this sort of thing after the Lost Wold and BOOM fiascos, but even for the people who loved it, they've started growing tired of this stuff drawing out months on end. The purpose was to calm the waters and give people a laugh for a while, but when you use the same method thought up to appease the audiences, to instead pull everyone along into the next game, that's no good.

Especially when there's absolutely nothing anyone has anything to be stringed towards. Even Zelda U has game play, Skyward Sword got promo art...

There's an idea! Promo art! Spoil nothing, give something to analyze.

• Thumbs Up 3

This is tangential but also very much something exciting to consider in this 25th year of a unique continuing art project/game series/cultural legacy that is Sonic!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apep

Reading this I thought about Sonic Adventure, especially the final confrontation between Sonic & Chaos, and, Sandopolis, which, at least as far as any of us know, was located upon Floating Island.  

It is interesting to wonder if the cultural concept for the ancient civilisation was changed to make it more interesting terrain and architecture, and, also because Sandopolis had already happened, as a journey around and inside a very sophisticated and fascinating temple complex; it wouldn't have seemed as new to be revisiting Sandopolis.  There are some signs of a different culture throughout S3K but then definitely Sandopolis as well. :)^_^

Simply I wonder if some of the inspiration for Chaos did come from Egypt! 
Much of what is interesting about Sonic from the very beginning was the amount of fusion of different cultural ideas new and old!  

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Granted, I have to say that I have actually been pleased with a few things thus far, and the running theme with what I've been cool with is that there was no attempt to stir up hype or imagination beyond what was warranted for the thing in question. That's part of why I enjoyed the panels that Aaron and co. hosted yesterday, and subsequently why the announcement of the upcoming convention wasn't a letdown to me. I had an idea of what to expect. Carrots weren't dangled in front of only for me to be given the stems. Sega and people in the know were upfront about what was going to happen, it played out accordingly, and as a result there were comparable surprises from some of the off-the-cuff humorous moments and bits of knowledge we didn't know before, such as Iizuka animating Sonic 3's opening. It was enjoyable, amusing, and was one of the few times in recent memory I can remember enjoying being a Sonic fan and chilling with people on SSMB. 

Now imagine instead had this panel been instead totally shrouded in secrecy with the exception of cryptic hints like cut-off photos of the people that would be in attendance, and the same exact panel had occurred- a history tour of Sonic that most of us already knew about. Even with the announcement of the convention, the panel that I and others enjoyed yesterday probably would've gotten more backlash than expected had it been advertised and teased in the way everything else has been so far. Generally, secrecy should be reserved for things and events that actually warrant a huge investment in time and energy. Convention announcements, hirings (or firings), pranks; these are not things that warrant Cloverfield-esque diversion.

I have to agree with this. I should really say and clarify that in a void of its own existence, I enjoyed the panel. I thought it was rushed, and I would've LOVED to hear more from Iizuka and Naka-san, but at the end of the day I DID enjoy it.

But at the end of the day, I'm STILL irritated by all the teasing and complete void of information that we've been living in for the past year or so. It honestly felt like that all the buildup and news just led up to a 3DS game I don't care about, and an anniversary event that MAY or MAY NOT have actual news.

I mean, Good Lord, they dragged Yuji Naka AND Takashi Iizuka all the way from Japan. They could have done SO MUCH more! This should've been something so much bigger!

It's a wasted opportunity, and I'm frustrated by it.

Mr. Naka has been around a lot this year, much more-so than during the 20th anniversary stuff. The staff seem in constant contact, so I believe Naka is secretly on board the 25th anniversary title.

(Sorry for the long post here. I don't usually like to write long posts like this, especially in a forum thread, but I had a lot to reply to.)

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

Again, I would rather have nothing at all. If there's nothing going on, then there's nothing to speculate on or worry about.

To be fair, people will find a way. Even before the teasers, there was a lot of speculation and worry. And that will remain until the day whatever Sonic game comes next is released.

But when an anniversary year that has historically been centered around a new game is brought up yet again (which in itself is a tradition that's getting a bit tired) as being worth our attention due to nothing but Sega's own volition, and every other event sans a game is being teased and hinted at, to say nothing of the jokes and other anti-hype shit that's happened on social media and on here before, it's honestly no wonder that people are getting short right now.

How are anniversary years being centered around a new game getting a bit tired? It happens every 5 years and, so far, only twice.

Besides that, SEGA has yet to make this anniversary centered around a game. And for good reason. Games are SEGA's flagship product. They're most known for their video games. And Sonic's their mascot of that flagship product. They're going to give all that the most care. And it being an anniversary, of course they're going to mark the occasion with events. Why is celebrating a bad thing? Why is having a little fun a bad thing? You don't have to have a game to celebrate.

You don't want people to be antsy? Well, A.) Don't base your goddamn franchise release schedule around five-year anniversaries almost at the outset (because at that point every second or third game is going to be beset with huge expectations), and B.) Don't outright refuse to confirm anything within said anniversary year and act like you don't know what people are actually waiting on. You know how much better I'd feel if anyone had said "A big game is coming this year; don't worry"? I'm not asking for a playable demo right now. I'm asking for some baseline confirmation.

A. It sounds like you're still basing SEGA on a 2011 mindset and not a 2015 mindset. A SEGA that had more employees, that wasn't undergoing a restructure, a different situation with Sonic, a different game plan, a different everything. SEGA has changed a lot in the last 5 years, so it's really hard for me to judge SEGA based on their history. It seems like everything has been thrown out the window.

B. Because, again, they can't confirm anything. They're not ready. They know fans are anticipating this, but there's nothing they can really do for now. And to be honest, we sort of had that kind of confirmation from Johnny Gioeli and subsequent actions. But no one was satisfied.

Again, all that seems to be happening is a huge party has kicked off into motion without the guest of honor, and people asking for the guest of honor's mere whereabouts are being told to pipe down about it and just enjoy the party, and I'm like, "But the guest of honor is who the goddamn party is about. We should probably wait a little bit before getting wasted."

SEGA's been planning just about all of their anniversary events late in the year for a reason. In fact they didn't promote the panel as "kicking off" anniversary celebrations. That's not until the Adventure concert, which is in a couple of so weeks. But outside of that concert, just about all of their anniversary schedule is from June onward.

2 hours ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

I think Aaron meme-ing up social media and all of this is doing WAY more harm than good.

How is it doing more harm? Nothing bad has happened at all. In fact, everywhere I look in the gaming community Aaron has been praised, the social media accounts have gotten loads of attention and media coverage (something that helped make up for the lack of a game last year) and he's even recieved an award. People have even come back the the brand just because of Aaron's antics. In fact, the only people who have had a problem with this are you guys and it's mostly because of impatience at recieving news.

Why did 2015 have to go without a single game for a traditional system?

Why does every year have to have a game? Besides, they spent the whole year sorting out the restructure. And even then, they were still active with non-Sonic games (most of that happened in Japan, though)

I also don't like this notion of "shame on people being disappointed". People can feel how they want to feel and they absolutely can feel free to criticize as long as it's done constructively and maturely. Which as far as I can see has been done very well so far. I think it's extremely fair for people to be very annoyed at how Sega has been going on about this.

Nowhere did I say people couldn't be disappointed. Nowhere did I say people in this thread weren't doing this constructively and maturely. I said there's really no reason to throw a temper tentrum because of some tweets and/or teasers.

Point is, there was no excuse for skipping a year, even if Fire & Ice was obviously planned to be pushed out last year until this change of heart.

Yes, there was an excuse. Restructure. A complete migration of their HQ. A complete reorganization of their division. People keep ignoring this.

2 hours ago, Detective Hero of Legend said:

I feel Sega is the only one to blame for digging this hole they've found themselves in. And their actions right now are not what they should be doing to repair their image.

They are to blame for the disaster in 2014. However, their actions right now? Taking their time, getting all their ducks in a row again, but at the same time at least entertaining fans to help ease the wait a little is exactly what I would've done. Especially seeing as how fans have been asking this since 2010. They were even asking this in 2014.

19 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Mr. Naka has been around a lot this year, much more-so than during the 20th anniversary stuff. The staff seem in constant contact, so I believe Naka is secretly on board the 25th anniversary title.

They're friends. Friends hang out with each other. i.e. I'm with the Sonic Paradox team all the time, but that doesn't mean I'll be animating something for the SEGA Shorts.

• Thumbs Up 8

Seriously... Reorganizing is no longer a valid excuse. Any professional company would be through with that long before now.

And indeed friends do, but the frequency of his appearances with key Sonic staff both current and former points towards reason to ponder.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

Seriously... Reorganizing is no longer a valid excuse. Any professional company would be through with that long before now.

I'm referring mostly about 2015. Now they're just trying to make sure they take the time to make sure the game is good to help make up for what happened with Rise of Lyric.

1 minute ago, SSF1991 said:

I'm referring mostly about 2015. Now they're just trying to make sure they take the time to make sure the game is good to help make up for what happened with Rise of Lyric.

...Something about that just doesn't sound right...

I don't like all of the apologizing going on from both the company and from mouths apologizing for them. The point has been said already, they admit to messing up and said quality was important, okay.

It's time for both sides to stop kissing butt and just act on it, and show what that action has resulted in.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

That's the sentiment running through most fans minds right now.

That's a strawman that's pushing it too far. A notable amount,  sure,  but trying to claim such a bold factor that the majority share that bout of negativity without the necessary data is preposterous, and screams hidden agenda.  

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's time for both sides to stop kissing butt and just act on it, and show what that action has resulted in.

Although I do feel that a good Sonic game will 100% bring me back in, I'd say we've been seeing them act. They delayed Fire & Ice and have been developing the next main series Sonic game much more slowly. If they are to put out a good product, it means to take things one step at a time and not rush it. And one of the contributing factors, if not the most significant factor, behind SEGA's failrures was them rushing things.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

That's a strawman that's pushing it too far. A notable amount,  sure,  but trying to claim such a bold factor that the majority share that bout of negativity without the necessary data is preposterous, and screams hidden agenda.  

"All hail the memes!! Let them continue!! memes infinite forever!! Numbers!! Big jokes!! Rah rah..."

You get the picture, how many are clamoring for the nonsense to continue? Sure something generally okay pops up now and then people chuckle at, but by and large it's really pushing the whole "Sonic's the biggest joke in the game market" more than anything, which apparently commentators are now pointing out in videos going by that one TSS posted about. Or... Was it TSSZ...? Get the two mixed sometimes...

Course guess it's not a NEW thing either, but doesn't help when SEGA's making it so darned easy to say their mascots a laughingstock.

Sure, it's fun now and then, but by and large it's time to cut back on the nonsense. I'm not saying eliminate it, but a tone down is definitely needed.

And I mean act as in show us what you're made of, not say you're running away to a random date of your choosing and then you might crawl out and pop up something some four months before release or whatever.

15 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

But this game has allegedly been in development  before that game. 

I may not be needlessly negative on the subject as certain shadowy figures in the fanbase may be on the matter,  but even I must wonder why don't keep us updated so they can hear or feedback while also working on the game in the meantime. 

Regardless of how Fire and Ice turns out,  I'll admit that at the very least the procedure  they've gone about letting us know it exists and apparently delaying it for the sake of quality as well as paying mind to feedback; that is at least an act that's matched up with their new policy of regaining fans' trust and they certainly didn't have to delay announcing the fans at least.

I'd think it beneficial for them to at least giveat least something vital to keep the fuels. 

And this is coming from someone as optimistic  for the franchise as me. 

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

"All hail the memes!! Let them continue!! memes infinite forever!! Numbers!! Big jokes!! Rah rah..."

You get the picture, how many are clamoring for the nonsense to continue? Sure something generally okay pops up now and then people chuckle at, but by and large it's really pushing the whole "Sonic's the biggest joke in the game market" more than anything, which apparently commentators are now pointing out in videos going by that one TSS posted about. Or... Was it TSSZ...? Get the two mixed sometimes...

Course guess it's not a NEW thing either, but doesn't help when SEGA's making it so darned easy to say their mascots a laughingstock.

Sure, it's fun now and then, but by and large it's time to cut back on the nonsense. I'm not saying eliminate it, but a tone down is definitely needed.

That's outside my point of you relying on pointless strawman statements. 

You have the potential for good points,  but you constantly damage them beyond recognition with very poor choices of words,  syntax,  and other literary elements. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

But this game has allegedly been in development  before that game. 

Anything can shake up a game's development cicle, like a deadline being pushed. Sonic X-Treme is a prime example of a game that had been developed for a long time and before other Sonic titles, but things can happen that messes things up. Rise of Lyric is another title. Things were going smoothly, then came the sudden Nintendo exclusivity deal.

And this is coming from someone as optimistic  for the franchise as me. 

I'm not so much optimistic, but concerned. I feel like SEGA needs a good Sonic game. If it means they take their time to help ensure this, then that's fine with me. I don't think SEGA should take any risks like that with Sonic's situation so critical right now.

@SSF1991 Ahem, sorry if it wasn't clear,  but I was referring to myself as the optimistic party.

4 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Anything can shake up a game's development cicle, like a deadline being pushed. Sonic X-Treme is a prime example of a game that had been developed for a long time and before other Sonic titles, but things can happen that messes things up. Rise of Lyric is another title. Things were going smoothly, then came the sudden Nintendo exclusivity deal.

I'm not so much optimistic, but concerned. I feel like SEGA needs a good Sonic game. If it means they take their time to help ensure this, then that's fine with me. I don't think SEGA should take any risks like that with Sonic's situation so critical right now.

SEGA really doesn't need to have any involvement whatsoever for Sonic Team's projects. They just need to give them the money and shut up, that's my two cents after their whole Nintendo/Mario blow fest they forced Sonic Team into. Hell even NiGHTS suffered thanks to SEGA and the whole Wii worship fiasco.

32 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

(To be fair, people will find a way. Even before the teasers, there was a lot of speculation and worry. And that will remain until the day whatever Sonic game comes next is released.

I don't doubt that people will find some way to make the wait tedious. But I was speaking personally. If I had a choice between no news and teasers that were going towards things that were ultimately secondary to the thing I care about, I'd choose no news.

How are anniversary years being centered around a new game getting a bit tired? It happens every 5 years and, so far, only twice.

It's happened three times beforehand: SA2 (10th anniversary), Sonic 06 (15th anniversary), and Sonic Generations (20th anniversary). And it's getting a bit tired because I know that basically every three games (these games take two-ish years to make after all), there's gonna be a big hullabaloo surrounding the franchise while the issues of how to evolve it remaining in the aftermath. It's just a pattern I've noticed, and because it's a pattern I'm going to not respond to each occurrence with the same amount of interest I did previously. Psychological adaptation and all that.

Besides that, SEGA has yet to make this anniversary centered around a game. And for good reason. Games are SEGA's flagship product. They're most known for their video games. And Sonic's their mascot of that flagship product. They're going to give all that the most care. And it being an anniversary, of course they're going to mark the occasion with events. Why is celebrating a bad thing? Why is having a little fun a bad thing? You don't have to have a game to celebrate.

If you form a pattern of celebrating the last three quinquennial anniversaries with a game spearheading the entire celebration, it is not unreasonable for people to expect the fourth to do the same, nor is it unreasonable for people to be miffed at any unforeseen changes without any decent reasons given.

I also never said celebrating or having fun is a bad thing, but I am criticizing both the timing and the manner of celebration which I feel is fair dues. Again, the panel from yesterday is a good example. There was no faffing about beforehand about what was going to happen. It was an upfront panel where Aaron breezed through Sonic history with interesting and funny interjection from key players. The smallest, most boring panel you could imagine these guys hosting actually made me smile, laugh, and have fun, and you know why? Because Sega and the people close to them didn't surround it with cryptic bullshit whose only purpose is to generate hype that is unnecessary for the thing being hinted at. 

I don't think I'm being unreasonable when I say I'd just like any bits of upcoming news to be properly telegraphed to us versus being made out to be more than they actually are, nor do I think it's fair when disappointment occurs that people come back and point at me saying I'm being unreasonable or ungrateful or entitled (I read Twitter) when this mystery thing that's being teased is just some normal-ass thing or a joke.

A. It sounds like you're still basing SEGA on a 2011 mindset and not a 2015 mindset. A SEGA that had more employees, that wasn't undergoing a restructure, a different situation with Sonic, a different game plan, a different everything. SEGA has changed a lot in the last 5 years, so it's really hard for me to judge SEGA based on their history. It seems like everything has been thrown out the window.

What the hell even is their 2015 mindset?

B. Because, again, they can't confirm anything. They're not ready. They know fans are anticipating this, but there's nothing they can really do for now. And to be honest, we sort of had that kind of confirmation from Johnny Gioeli and subsequent actions. But no one was satisfied.

You know how many games are in no where near a state that can be shown to the public but are given a generic press release or some general confirmation of existence? If this game is not ready to be shown at all, and we assume it's coming out this year for the anniversary, I would actually say we're in some big fucking trouble.

SEGA's been planning just about all of their anniversary events late in the year for a reason. In fact they didn't promote the panel as "kicking off" anniversary celebrations. That's not until the Adventure concert, which is in a couple of so weeks. But outside of that concert, just about all of their anniversary schedule is from June onward.

Then just say "expect shit in June." This isn't that hard.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

You know how many games are in no where near a state that can be shown to the public but are given a generic press release or some general confirmation of existence? If this game is not ready to be shown at all, and we assume it's coming out this year for the anniversary, I would actually say we're in some big fucking trouble.

Just look at Zelda U and Yooka-Laylee, then there's Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero and, as I mentioned already, Freedom Planet 2.

20 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Hell even NiGHTS suffered thanks to SEGA and the whole Wii worship fiasco.

Ugh,  are the fraudulent, and transparently flimsy potshots against Nintendo necessary? Ignoring a continuous lack of backup, your case again seems to be built on simply the idea that anything Nintendo exclusive suffered. Looking at it in such a fallacy of logic manner without even bothering to actually elucidate your allegations,  is a poor quality of tact and taste to say the least.  

I get that you have a disdain against Nintendo and hated that exclusivity deal to high heaven,  but don't let it do explicitly cloud your judgement  and mannerisms so badly. 

Not to mention how off-topic one tends to go when using the Nintendo frenzy triggers. 

20 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

SEGA really doesn't need to have any involvement whatsoever for Sonic Team's projects. They just need to give them the money and shut up, that's my two cents after their whole Nintendo/Mario blow fest they forced Sonic Team intom

That's pretty much gone without saying  since  2006, well before the exclusivity deal. 

• Thumbs Up 6

53 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Uh, yeah, I do need a game to celebrate an anniversary for my video game franchise. I'll celebrate when I actually have a goddamn game to celebrate. It's also Crash Bandicoot's 20th birthday this year, but I'm 99% sure we're not getting a new Crash game this year (we haven't since 2010 if you count the mobile games), and nobody's throwing him any parties.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

Risks are always to at some point,  be taken in a career,  and honestly,  I'd say the risk is worth it, at the very least so that fans can know for sure that SEGA'S not going to leave us high and dry when the chips are down.

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Ugh,  are the fraudulent, and transparently flimsy potshots against Nintendo necessary? Ignoring a continuous lack of backup, your case again seems to be built on simply the idea that anything Nintendo exclusive suffered. Looking at it in such a fallacy of logic manner without even bothering to actually elucidate your allegations,  is a poor quality of tact and taste to say the least.  

I get that you have a disdain against Nintendo and hated that exclusivity deal to high heaven,  but don't let it do explicitly cloud your judgement  and mannerisms so badly. 

That's pretty much gone without saying  since  2006, well before the exclusivity deal. 

What are you talking about...?

I think you're directing a bit of overbearing angst towards those ACTUALLY against Nintendo at me which is misguided and unnecessary to say the least.

Not all things Nintendo exclusive have suffered naturally, but by and large projects have, equally as many as those which benefited by it. I am a diehard Nintendo fan through and through, and to me even Nintendo should be sick of the leg humping by now. I own Nintendo consoles so Sonic being exclusive has no affect on me whatsoever but it is harming fans on other consoles greatly.

The exclusivity deal really didn't do anything for SEGA, and especially didn't do anything for Sonic in the long run considering the harm has seemingly ruined what good its done. Bringing up exclusivity, if anything I'm sick of seeing Sonic on Nintendo consoles further mucking up Nintendo's value/reputation due to poor decisions of SEGA's side forcing Sonic Team and other partners behind Sonic to ruin the IP.