Awoo.

Mother 3 possibly getting a western release this year

Kevin

According to this source, Mother 3 could possibly get a Western release this year. Seeing that this is the game's 10th anniversary, it'd be a great way to mark that occasion. Granted, there's been a fan translation out for awhile. Ow complete with its own strategy guide, but if this does become true, it'd be great to see an official release considering fans have been wanting one for a long time.

• Thumbs Up 1

tumblr_n6yu84pD1a1qa0n48o3_500.gif

I'm hoping this is true though.  I haven't finished Earthbound yet, but I loved what I have played so far.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's two things that could add weight to this:

1. Nintendo recently releasing Earthbiund and Earthbound Beginnings on the Wii U, the later never having seen a western release until then.

2. Eurogamer themselves having heard the same thing and not just some person on Twitter claiming it.

I still want to take it with a gain of salt since rumors are rumors, but something to throw out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

While I'm not that big a fan of Earthbound, I do like the sound of this because there are a lot of games that were only released in Japan that should have gotten an international release and it's great that companies are starting to translate them for international shores.

I see a lot of people citing Mother 1 on the eShop as a sign of a western release for 3, so I'll just chime in by saying that M1's localization was done over 20 years ago. Nintendo literally had to do no work for EarthBound Beginnings aside from testing it on their emulator.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've been looking at the neogaf thread for Mother 3's "hinting", someone there had posted a quote from Emily Rogers' twitter. She mentioned this before deleting her twitter account

One last thing before I vanish: Don't be surprised if Nintendo celebrates a game's 10th anniversary this year...Just some food for thought."

edit : oops, that article actually mentioned that. My internet is really bad at the moment, apologies.

The thing is, what's making me skeptical about this being the case is that Mother 3 has never had any form of official localization done. Earthbound Beginnings/Mother 1 was already localized years ago, it just never came out. It's not impossible, but seeing how it's a very old game at this point, Nintendo would have to go through some hurdles to get a English localization for the game done (It's a GBA game, I'm pretty sure they haven't touched the code for a lot of the games they've made on that system in ages), then hook it up and hope it works on the VC Emulator. 

I'm all for mother 3 getting a re-release for sure! I haven't even played the ROM yet... mainly because I'd love to actually play it officially. So if this is true, then my wish may finally come true!

... maybe!

A thing that's come to mind though, is if this is true, and if they release an official translation, how will it clash with the fan translation the entire western fanbase has grown attached to? Some characters may be renamed - including major characters - and the official translation may just tell the story in a different mood altogether. Even Mato himself, the fan translation's lead guy, has said his translation isn't the "correct" one to beat all the others, and there's a lot of room to adapt the translation into a better phrased story. So I just wonder how the Mother fanbase would take having to adapt to something potentially very different from what they'd be used to?

That is of course, if Nintendo doesn't take up Mato's offer of using his script for free. Which would be pretty cool. 

• Thumbs Up 1

If Nintendo used the fan translation then I strongly believe they would pay the translator the going rate, regardless of how cheaply it was offered.

I really hope this is true! Eartbound is an absolutely amazing game and I've heard so many good things about Mother 3 I just want to buy it legit instead of playing a ROM. Maybe Nintendo are buying the Tomato translation?

I refuse to get hyped for this until we know for sure. My poor, fragile heart can't take it. ;__:

• Thumbs Up 3

However unlikely it may still be, I'd love to see a Western release of Mother 3, if only to have the opportunity to play as Duster and Kumatora once more. The entire party is awesome, but I especially dig those two.

Please let this be true!

With Earthbound and Mother on Virtual Console, not to mention the Lucas DLC in Smash 4, perhaps it just might be true...

• Thumbs Up 1

Between Earthbound Beginnings and Lucas returning for Smash 4, I feel like it goes without saying that Mother 3 has to happen. Maybe I'll get into the series soon if it does.

• Thumbs Up 1