Awoo.

sonic is mediocre as a whole?

Baraksha

2 hours ago, Tara said:

They made games about Sonic Boom?  I don't remember them.

you're ether trolling or you're on the internet, I mean how did you now herd of Rise Of Lyric or Shattared Crystal, not to mention the upcoming Fire & Ice

9 minutes ago, Baraksha said:

you're ether trolling or you're on the internet, I mean how did you now herd of Rise Of Lyric or Shattared Crystal, not to mention the upcoming Fire & Ice

Look, I've been a Sonic fan pretty much all my life and I can assure you that I'm 5000% certain that they never made a game based on the Sonic Boom series, so you can stop trying to impress me with made-up names.

And believe me, I've never been on the internet so I don't know where you're getting that from.

I'm joking

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Tara said:

Look, I've been a Sonic fan pretty much all my life and I can assure you that I'm 5000% certain that they never made a game based on the Sonic Boom series, so you can stop trying to impress me with made-up names.

And believe me, I've never been on the internet so I don't know where you're getting that from.

I'm joking

you know what?, for your sake, lets pretend that i'm really lying , because I wish I was

--------------------------------------------------------

ok, i'll be honest, I kind of felt like making this post after watching this...

I don't feel Sonic is medicore, the problem is that it's all over the place and can't decide what it wants to be, and, admittedly, seeing so many different things come from it is one of the reasons I enjoy it so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Baraksha said:

you know what?, for your sake, lets pretend that i'm really lying , because I wish I was

--------------------------------------------------------

ok, i'll be honest, I kind of felt like making this post after watching this...

See I spend enough time on youtube to tell the smart people from the..."not smart"? Yeah let's go with that!

I stopped watching after 5 seconds. (Ignoring the fact that this vidoe talks about freedom planet.)

Right away I can tell that he proposing a linear way of analysing the game. (Again ignoring that he said in the title that the video was rushed...like really?)

Making it a big deal that his perspective changed and that not showing any respect to a game he once loved.

I know how hard it is to write reviews, belive me, I'm trying it for myself and its harder than it looks. But this is unexceptable.

I like freedom planet more than the classic trilogy. But I would NEVER go about explaining that like this guy is. You don't just "rush" 4 years of experience like this and call it a day. This guy clearly didn't think the whole thing through enough.

I keep telling you man. THINK FOR YOURSELF! It's okay to question things. I do it all the freaking time. But take time to step back and realize it doesn't even matter that much to begin with. It's just a game, and people will treat it however they want. It's up to you whether or not you want to take part in it!

...I mean unless you want to elaborate what part of the video "stuck you" cause I didn't watch the whole thing (if it makes you feel any better) then please go ahead. But otherwise I think you need to move on. Freedom Planet (and other fan-made sonic crap in general, including reviews) helped me expand my intrests in other things, not limited to video games also. I'm liking stuff like VVVVVV, Smash, and FF7, things I otherwise wouldn't have payed attention to. (This includes not game stuff like socializeing and what not. But I don't wanna go too deep if you know what I mean.)

Hopefully this advice helped. Don't think I'm getting tired of writing any of this either. It's fun to learn new perspectives I think, if done appropiately.

29 minutes ago, Alienrun said:

See I spend enough time on youtube to tell the smart people from the..."not smart"? Yeah let's go with that!

I stopped watching after 5 seconds. (Ignoring the fact that this vidoe talks about freedom planet.)

Right away I can tell that he proposing a linear way of analysing the game. (Again ignoring that he said in the title that the video was rushed...like really?)

Making it a big deal that his perspective changed and that not showing any respect to a game he once loved.

I know how hard it is to write reviews, belive me, I'm trying it for myself and its harder than it looks. But this is unexceptable.

I like freedom planet more than the classic trilogy. But I would NEVER go about explaining that like this guy is. You don't just "rush" 4 years of experience like this and call it a day. This guy clearly didn't think the whole thing through enough.

I keep telling you man. THINK FOR YOURSELF! It's okay to question things. I do it all the freaking time. But take time to step back and realize it doesn't even matter that much to begin with. It's just a game, and people will treat it however they want. It's up to you whether or not you want to take part in it!

...I mean unless you want to elaborate what part of the video "stuck you" cause I didn't watch the whole thing (if it makes you feel any better) then please go ahead. But otherwise I think you need to move on. Freedom Planet (and other fan-made sonic crap in general, including reviews) helped me expand my intrests in other things, not limited to video games also. I'm liking stuff like VVVVVV, Smash, and FF7, things I otherwise wouldn't have payed attention to. (This includes not game stuff like socializeing and what not. But I don't wanna go too deep if you know what I mean.)

Hopefully this advice helped. Don't think I'm getting tired of writing any of this either. It's fun to learn new perspectives I think, if done appropiately.

First off, I don't have a problem tryingout diffrent games , there are many other franchises I love and i'm not just limited to sonic, through sonic is my "main thing".

Second, I should explain this since you're probably not going to watch this video any ways, in the video he shows the problems of the classic sonic games, most of them are about level design, through he did also said what was good about them so it's not blind hate or anything. at the end he explains about freedom planet and eventually sumed up that the sonic trilogy was good, but freedom planet is better because it fixes all the problems the classics had and calls freedom planet a situation of "if it's broken , please fix it".

also not sure if this is important, but he also made made a mario comparison and explained that mario 3 is better then the 1st game but the 1st game didn't had many problem with it's core gameplay and the 3rd simply expanded upon it and that this is why despite the simplisty the first game aged well, but sonic did had problems with it's core gameplay and so that game aged worse

3 hours ago, Baraksha said:

First off, I don't have a problem tryingout diffrent games , there are many other franchises I love and i'm not just limited to sonic, through sonic is my "main thing".

Second, I should explain this since you're probably not going to watch this video any ways, in the video he shows the problems of the classic sonic games, most of them are about level design, through he did also said what was good about them so it's not blind hate or anything. at the end he explains about freedom planet and eventually sumed up that the sonic trilogy was good, but freedom planet is better because it fixes all the problems the classics had and calls freedom planet a situation of "if it's broken , please fix it".

also not sure if this is important, but he also made made a mario comparison and explained that mario 3 is better then the 1st game but the 1st game didn't had many problem with it's core gameplay and the 3rd simply expanded upon it and that this is why despite the simplisty the first game aged well, but sonic did had problems with it's core gameplay and so that game aged worse

See here's the thing. I agree with all that. The problem is he's being too blunt about it. Too full of himself for his own good. A lot of Sonic hacks improve over the originals by "expanding" thier gameplay but what does that mean? Does it mean the hacks are good, or that the original games showed a lot of potential?

It's not his opinion I'm worried about, its his attitude. That way of looking at things prevents one from reaching out and making something new from what's learned, he's not looking at it from an artistic or creators perspective. But hey...maybe its not really a big deal to him...if that's the case then why should I make a big deal out of it?

Also, I never assumed you were stuck in a sonic bubble or anything, I was just using that as an example cause its a lot easier to make certian things clear when you free your mind of mental limitations. That was the point I was trying to get across.

...Oh and a bit off topic, but another "Sonic" video I wanted to show you. (I linked this on youtube, but you never responded.) You might like it! :)

(Again click the youtube link to see "Part 2"!) Enjoy :)

11 hours ago, Alienrun said:

See here's the thing. I agree with all that. The problem is he's being too blunt about it. Too full of himself for his own good. A lot of Sonic hacks improve over the originals by "expanding" thier gameplay but what does that mean? Does it mean the hacks are good, or that the original games showed a lot of potential?

It's not his opinion I'm worried about, its his attitude. That way of looking at things prevents one from reaching out and making something new from what's learned, he's not looking at it from an artistic or creators perspective. But hey...maybe its not really a big deal to him...if that's the case then why should I make a big deal out of it?

Also, I never assumed you were stuck in a sonic bubble or anything, I was just using that as an example cause its a lot easier to make certian things clear when you free your mind of mental limitations. That was the point I was trying to get across.

...Oh and a bit off topic, but another "Sonic" video I wanted to show you. (I linked this on youtube, but you never responded.) You might like it! :)

(Again click the youtube link to see "Part 2"!) Enjoy :)

Oh, I know about shay says for a long time, I'mean still waiting for the next part, I also really like he's "were Sega ever really good?" Video, and now that I remember that video, I think it  kind of already explains alot of my question

I don't think Sonic is a mediocre franchise. But taking into account ALL games, I'd give the franchise a 7/10, and thanks to the first trilogy.

I think Sonic could be much bigger if managed by the right person.

I also think Sega could be much bigger if managed by the right person XD

• Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2016 at 5:26 PM, Tara said:

I'm joking

I'll link you to this 

25 minutes ago, Iamaspaz said:

I'll link you to this 

Why are you linking me to non-existent topics?  You guys must be having some really strong hallucinations.  This is why us mods need to be more strict about posting on the forums while drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

In any case, I did play Sonic 1 again recently, and... it was pretty much just as fun as I remember, so yeah, I still think the series is great.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Tara said:

Why are you linking me to non-existent topics?  You guys must be having some really strong hallucinations.  This is why us mods need to be more strict about posting on the forums while drunk or otherwise intoxicated.

In any case, I did play Sonic 1 again recently, and... it was pretty much just as fun as I remember, so yeah, I still think the series is great.

2 hours ago, Tara said:

THERE ARE SONIC BOOM GAMES! JESUS CHRIST,STOP PRETENDING THEY DON'T EXIST,IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY!

sorry for yelling.

Sorry,sorry,just got mad. Like seriously,you can ignore it,but don't be ignorant about it. I respect mods,but still,it doesn't excuse bad behavor.

1 minute ago, Mikyeong said:

Dude, she's clearly being sarcastic ;p

I know,and I don't care. Personally,I despise sarcastic people. They just get on my nerves.

3 minutes ago, Iamaspaz said:

I know,and I don't care. Personally,I despise sarcastic people. They just get on my nerves.

Then I wouldn't be here if I were you since this place is full of sarcastic people, myself included. (Just a general tip)

Just now, Mikyeong said:

Then I wouldn't be here if I were you since this place is full of sarcastic people, myself included. (Just a general tip)

Just now, Mikyeong said:

So? I can make it. Besides,I am a spaz after all.

In any case, it wasn't even sarcasm.  It was called "playing around." Something which you are also guilty of.  So it's not like you have a right to talk.  But that's neither here, nor there.  I'm just telling you to watch your attitude, since that sort of disrespect doesn't fly.

With that said, I'm asking everyone get back on topic now.

• Thumbs Up 8

Sonic isn't mediocre, his fans just are....cause lets be real....this fan base is so......colorful....with very few rivals.

Does sonic have mediocre games? Yes.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 3

13 minutes ago, WakanoBaka said:

Sonic isn't mediocre, his fans just are....cause lets be real....this fan base is so......colorful....with very few rivals.

Does sonic have mediocre games? Yes.

^This.  Sonic may be merodice at times, but the fans are the scum of the earth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's great - but SEGA keep fucking it up. I seriously think the boost formula could have turned Sonic's fortunes around, as it's really exciting and rewards repeat play. Generations really rammed that home, too - the whole game gets you thinking 'man, I've got to get to that route'. And Unleashed/Generations are thrilling to play! Lots of big setpieces, lovely environments...

Instead what they did was make a game where it's a chore to go fast. Lost World made Sonic slow and boring. 

Sonic could be great, but SEGA keep fucking it up.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 minute ago, Silly name the animal said:

Rapists, murderers, and Trump have nothing on the true scum of the earth: the Sonic fans.

On a more serious note, the franchise is in this weird quagmire where it has inherently appealing qualities and broad ideas, some good games, and potential, but the latter has been so thoroughly wasted on a good chunk of games that I wouldn't blame someone less invested in the franchise for calling the game series at face value mediocre.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Silly name the animal said:

Woah man, you can say that about every other fanbase then ;p

10 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

Woah man, you can say that about every other fanbase then ;p

At the least with other fan bases, good fans are in great supply.  Can't say the same for sonic's fan base.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Silly name the animal said:

At the least with other fan bases, good fans are in great supply.  Can't say the same for sonic's fan base.

Bullshit there aren't. There's a ton of great fans in the fanbase. I mean, really, would you consider us all bad fans? Would you consider yourself a bad fan? How about that artist on Deviantart you like? How about that guy that made that really awesome fangame? Or maybe there's this writer on Fanfiction.net, and she writes some kickass stories?

I mean, really, c'mon. This is crap. This isn't fair to all the great fans in the fanbase. This ignores all the cool people you can meet in conventions all around the world. This ignores the guys on YouTube that do a livestream charity events. This ignores the people that find creative ways to express their love of the franchise.

This needs to stop. We need to stop perpetuating this stereotype that all Sonic fans are shit. That's not true. I REFUSE to accept that.

You know, I think TSSZ has exactly the right idea with the Fan Fridays. Fans that do cool stuff, that needs to be celebrated, and celebrated often. That's the only way we can hope to combat against this crap.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, Silly name the animal said:

You know, I honestly want to know why the heck you even stick around here then if you have so little faith in this whole fan-base. You love to proclaim about how much you can't stand Sonic fans while you are on a Sonic forum surrounded by them. 

• Thumbs Up 4