Awoo.

The BumbleKast Topic of Archival (And Discussion)

Your Vest Friend

2 hours ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

Not always, but I just felt it was rather redundant than anything.

If I had literally restated everything then I probably would too. But often when I want to support an argument I first reinforce it then provide an example to what I'm talking about to branch off of what was said. 

• 3 weeks later...

This iteration of the Bumblekast was slightly delayed to be posted here because of some major technical problems on my end, but I've gotten the temp unit running so here it is!

Episode 16;

The episode discussion theme is cartoons, and Ian and Kyle are talking animation! They talk about the seeming shift of animation centralisation from Japan to the West (and encourages people to check out European animations for its style, since it's not the same as American style [specific examples being Miraculous Ladybug (with caveats) and Wakfu]), dabble in Dragon Ball Z Abridged, and Ian offends France a lot.

There's also some show updates; Firstly, they're no longer taking questions from Youtube on a regular basis, but now they're accepting them via email on top of the existing Patreon and Twitter methods (remember to hashtag there!). Also, you can also get the show via Google Play Music, but Soundcloud is going to have limited availability after May.

Myself, I'm more a pre-90's cartoon connoisseur, but do you what I do like? The Q&A!

-Opinion of IDW's TMNT comic (by specific writers, one of which was an original writer and based on the original canon) - Can't answer it as he hasn't read it yet, on list of things he wants to read but hasn't had time yet, what little he has experienced was fantastic because it takes old idea and focuses them.

-Dream team if they were to do original comics - Maniacal laugh, projects he's working on now (very slowly) with people attached to it, people he really wants to work with, won't go into too much detail to avoid letting down, not just one original comic he wants to do because he has lots of ideas and concepts, he couldn't decide just one for certain roles (eg Artists [I'm not listing all the ones he thought of]), Kyle couldn't decide either because he's not a writer/artist and there's more than one for roles [Aleah makes Ian superfluous pass it on :P].

-Voice for Hershey Cat if she ever got into a cartoon - never had a solid voice for her, finding character for her was difficult enough, says Tara Strong because she voices everyone.

-Source of Big's strength - He's big. Bigger than everyone else canonically [says he's even bigger than Omega...but Omega is actually really short for his build at just 1.5m tall. Vector and Eggman are a foot taller than that. They'd be better comparisons].

-Sonic and Mega Man fangames played - Played some Sonic fangames way back but doesn't recall them, doesn't have controllers to hook up to the computer, would love to play Generations romhacks like imported levels and characters, Kyle played Sonic Robo Blast 2 and some Retro romhacks, also Rockchan, Street FighterXMega Man and Rock Man 7 FC.

-Does Shadow crave flesh as half-Black Arms - Probably not, imagines that Gerald took that part out when constructing Shadow.

-Drugs in Sonic's World (eg the fictional Red Eye from Cowboy Bebop) - Flat answer no because it's a fair and equal society where there's no need for a escape from reality, would be interesting if someone wanted to achieve Sonic's level of ability and cheated with enhancement, that story starts quickly treading the line of 90's war on drugs propaganda and becomes preachy, Sonic not a platform he's comfortable in dealing with real world issues with because it's not his property and it is a 20 page ad for the games, not a soapbox. Might touch on ideas, but wouldn't get into heavy stuff like drug abuse. [People who think this is a stupid question do not remember Lemon Sundrop Dandelions].

• Thumbs Up 4

• 2 weeks later...

"Well, now I've finally got a routine down, I can do the Bumblekast updates without delay!"

*Illness recurs after dying down over 4 days*

Well dang.

Episode 17;

If you want to watch Captain America: Civil War without being spoiled, don't watch this Bumblekast (yet) as it's all about the events and spoilers of the film (and comparing it to Batman vs Superman). I personally am not into the superhero film genre, so I'm just going to summon my own power; the Q&A!

-Voice actors for Egg Bosses - Nephthys - Marina Sirtis, Axel - Keith David (debated between him and Akhlut for Keith David), Maw - Jonathan Frakes, Thunderbolt - Maybe a Bubbles-voice Tara Strong, wants to avoid pitfall of having her voice be a complete joke but covey cute-yet-murderous, Akhlut - Clancy Brown, Mordred - Brent Spiner, Clove - Hard to nail down as she's not as bombastic and less of a trope, decides on Salli Richardson, Conquering Storm - Grey DeLisle, like Azula has the menace and characterisation, dial down malevolence and focus it, Abyss - Playful yet dry, youthful, can't think of anyone straight off, Battle Kukku - Regal but ridiculous, OTT and menacing, again no-one comes to mind, room alternatives.

-Would Red vs Blue comic work [Red vs Blue is an animation], would Ian write it if it existed - Ian would definitely write it if it existed, thinks it could work as early stuff worked on static camera placement and minimal animation, gone beyond that in recent seasons but main draw is more voices and witty, dry humour and running gags, could work if done at this point, possibly more freedom of motion but wouldn't match the same OTT visuals, middle ground, just make sure to catch spirit of the characters.

-How much cream-cheese does Rotor eat daily, does Charmy want in on it [...okay, Greliz] - At least a large tub a day, works it off in the gym, you don't want to hear the story of when Charmy tried to steal one, not on speaking terms with Chaotix after that .

-Possible continuation of Shadow's story arc from '06 in the comic - Not really an arc to continue, confrontation with Mephiles, debate whether to continue protecting humanity in spite of them trying to catch him in future, answered that himself by deciding he would, story got reset, still fighting for them, still going to fight for greater good because he enjoys fighting.

-Favourite novel - Hard to choose, Treason, written before author turned right-wing nut-job [his words, not mine], sci-fantasy that's hard to read because protagonist starts in bad place and things get worse, only goes up at the end, makes you think, first thing to pop up but full list would require going through collection, Kyle last read Nothing Lasts Forever, book that got adapted into Die Hard, sequel to The Detective, more introspective and different protagonist to Die Hard but hits all the same notes, not really action movie book.

-Will Mega Man come back and will he continue the story - There are ways the comic could come back, in no capacity to influence those, knows that his work on book is well known and appreciated by certain people, in those avenues there would be ability to pick up where he left off, got notes still so ready to go if it comes back, doesn't know if it will be back and what capacity since those decisions are made higher up, hope it comes back but doesn't know, would be game if it was done in a new direction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thunderbolt should he voiced by the woman who plays Larxene in the Kingdom Hearts series.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Thunderbolt should he voiced by the woman who plays Larxene in the Kingdom Hearts series.

It's funny because they both have electric powers. :D

There are certainly ideas from 06 that I would have liked to see re-worked. But as far as a continuation, that game is a giant big bowl of "What the fuck would even be the point?" so whatever.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

-Would Red vs Blue comic work [Red vs Blue is an animation], would Ian write it if it existed - Ian would definitely write it if it existed, thinks it could work as early stuff worked on static camera placement and minimal animation, gone beyond that in recent seasons but main draw is more voices and witty, dry humour and running gags, could work if done at this point, possibly more freedom of motion but wouldn't match the same OTT visuals, middle ground, just make sure to catch spirit of the characters.

Wait was that one of mine?

22 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

-Will Mega Man come back and will he continue the story - There are ways the comic could come back, in no capacity to influence those, knows that his work on book is well known and appreciated by certain people, in those avenues there would be ability to pick up where he left off, got notes still so ready to go if it comes back, doesn't know if it will be back and what capacity since those decisions are made higher up, hope it comes back but doesn't know, would be game if it was done in a new direction.

So it is confirmed to be more of a cancellation than a hiatus. I wasn't expecting him to talk about it since he used to say "we can't say anything" before.

• 2 weeks later...

Their ideal voice cast for the Egg Bosses is completely different from what I would imagine.

For one, Nephthys as the voice of Demona?! I imagined her voice with a slightly greater pitch than that. And Goliath as Axel? Justice League Lex Luthor as Akhlut?

Yeah, I'm hearing them and I don't know about you guys, but they sound weird to me. Of course they could change their voices (not sure about Keith David, as he usually doesn't change his voice no matter the character he plays), but from the one's they're more recognized for it's a bit hard to imagine for the characters.

Even their their choice for Conquering Storm isn't what I had in mind, but I can actually picture it working better for her compared to others.

Now if they want an idea for who to voice Battlelord Kukku XV, I suggest Gary Oldman. He already played a regal, yet psychopathic bird character in Kung Fu Panda 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look, I know your mind is racing with other ideas for voice actors, but now's the time to look at a more literal sense of the word.

Episode 18;

Yep, this episode is about racing games! Aside from puns, they discuss Daytona USA, Blur, Mario Kart (of course), F-Zero, SEGA All Stars Racing, Fighters Megamix (wut), Sonic R, Sonic RIders (Ian's played Free Riders. It was a time) and upcoming release Drift Stage,

I'm okay with racing games, although the fact they didn't mention Crash (or even Diddy) kinda made me sad. Getting information makes me happy though, so on to the Q&A!

-Did he get more comfortable with writing Mega Man's character by the end - He does, got into his head and found a voice for him, challenge for him later on and going forward was book pacing and approaching certain challenges, would be hard to maintain degree of simpleness and naivete he needs to carry on throughout series, he'd seen a lot by the time Mega Man 4 came around, would need Mega Man to still believe Bass was friendly way later, desire to believe the best in people and good nature would help but already starting to feel crunch from usual game formula, challenge to make that engaging storyline, thinks they could have done, relishes the chance to do that again if it comes back, challenge =/= bad necessarily, Kyle likes how he integrated later characters characters earlier, first few arcs were for building foundation for later games eg other creators, Cossack being friendly before MM4, props to Capcom for letting him do so much with IP.

-Thinking of DC having Suicide Squad being fun movie while Batman vs Superman was dark and gritty, any redemption for DC cinematic universe - Recently saw news article on it, boils down to how Warner Bros/DC were approaching films versus how Disney/Marvel approached them, Marvel top-down driven with both hands on steering wheel creating largely cohesive cinematic universe, DC let directors tell their stories and let it all fall into place, led to Snyder Superman, Batman v Superman and tonally different Suicide Squad, as of that day Snyder no longer in executive control of cinematic universe, Jeff Johns has a hand in it as well, seem like they're shifting to Marvel model, thinks why they were tonally different is just down to directors, doesn't think it's an overarching decision, doesn't like to use the term salvage as it makes it seem like a pre-conceived deal, even on Marvel side things can change, eg Spider Man being usuable and getting film before Black Panther, can't say a camp is winning or losing, in terms of matching Marvel scope he thinks they definitely can, only two films in with different directors etc, Superman was akin to Iron Man for starting it off, can build off that, Kyle thinks tone wasn't established as it was with Marvel, Ian brings up Thor, not great films but great exercise in bringing things to big screen, thinks if the other DC heroes can have strong films then Batman v Superman won't sink the entire thing, iIf X-Men can survive Origins and Wolverine then DC can survive that.

-Possible to go into backstory of Fixit - Personally believes that legally he could, others may not agree, thinks it's better to not even go there, Fixit not meant to be a central figure anyway, support of support, folks know what he is and can piece together rest, currently a lot more to go into with other characters [wait, how was Fixit part of the legal bruha? Does Chronicles really have a monopoly on other Gizoids?]

-What happened to Shadow Androids after Shadow game - Unrestrained fanboy in him says there's some somewhere and they can do blahdeblah with them, practical side says they're gone, Chaotix destroyed a large number of them in Heroes , imagines rest were destroyed by Shadow and general Black Arms conflict, would love opportunity to expound on one but when he tried to introduce Shadow Androids SoJ weren't too keen on idea, already have Eclipse who is like that, maybe one day but not now, going with they just got blown up.

-Why Sally seemed harsh toward Hershey when angry at King Max at first but calmed down and explained herself, Geoffrey shouted at Hershey for suggesting they talk to Mina about Sword of Acorns but cut himself off when he realised who he was talking to - Ian seems stumped, doesn't recall any interactions between Geoffrey, Hershey and Mina anyway unless it was way back when the sword was in play with Kodos, didn't think Hershey was that active a member yet, doesn't know and would need issue numbers, might be a case where he wasn't sure what the writer was aiming for and had to move on from it, Darkest Storm ended 32 plotlines and was meant to condense several writers work from past 15 years, not everything can be answered.

-Will history of Gizoids be expanded on, own take on it since large aspect of game history off-limits - Dangerous territory he'd rather not get into, if he does his own thing then things outside influence are resolved or move in certain direction it puts him in position where he has to retcon himself hard, stays in stable limbo if he doesn't touch it, fans can draw their own conclusions and nothing is broken, unless SEGA comes in with something new eg game that completely contradicts Dark Brotherhood then he'd go with that as it would be canon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Fixit being a Gizoid and Chronicles establishing well that the Gizoids are Echidna tech, any attempt to expand on any Gizoid character without showing echidnas would be laborious, which seems to me to be what Ian's referring to.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've got my laptop back, so let's not have any delays to this!

Episode 19;

And today's episode is...Sonic. Part one. This is gonna be a long one. 

For the main bit, they're discussing their opinions on the main games (bar CD, which is subbed out for Chaotix), the Advance-onwards handheld games and music, so if you want to know their history and opinions on parts of the main franchise (and how they get Tropical Resort wrong), step right in. 

Spinball was skipped, so that's me down one segway to the Q&A.

-Possibility of recreations of past issues - Overall no, doesn't want new direction hollowed by relying on old stuff, maybe the famous "limit" moment, exception because moment of Sonic reaching a breaking point and is universal, not going out of the way to put Sonic in that position just to reuse that line, unless he finds good reason to reuse it he'd rather not, folks talking about making expy of Shard or Scourge or whoever, he could but why, worked in context of old continuity, would be hollow in new continuity, Scourge worked in his context because he was study of Sonic without morality, also identity crisis of being Sonic derivative and trying to find identity through vilest way possible, if they followed similar path with new character, they would be that character but they'd have to be able to stand on their own merit, if he was to go to that much trouble, might as well create something new, characters like Relic and Eclipse were big gambles due to circumstances, people latched on because they took the time to fit them in the new universe, Eclipse's concept sounding like bad OC on paper but worked due to visuals and working with editor and Aleah,

-Where Capcom and SEGA universe lie in comparison to Sonic multiverse, is multiverse still a thing [second part is Kyle's question, cheeky git] - Not seen it yet, focusing on Sonic's World and immediate worlds around it (aka Sol Dimension and Wisp planets), not touching on those other franchises any time soon, doesn't want to say a particular way is the way it works because it might change in future if they have to go back to it and revise what's in head at the moment, consider them part of multiverse for now but it's not hard canon. 

-Possibility of another Sonic encyclopaedia for new universe - Ian wants one, drafted what it could be, keeps pushing Vin on it apparently, can't do it just now, finishing up Shattered World Crisis, Sonic Mega Drive in July, other things in back room he can't talk about [possibly the recently announced Next Level?], they all want to do it but it's a matter of getting it approved and getting budget for it, a lot of work, new art, writing, takes up time.

-Non-canon games or elements Ian would like to incorporate eg Mecha Knuckles from Sonic Pocket Adventure, Eggman's outfit change from same game, fake HPZ from Sonic 2 Taxman version, Eggbot from Chronicles - Likes to incorporate all bits as long as he can find place for it, not going to shoehorn it in (most of the time), some stuff so obscure or wouldn't be approved that it's not worth the effort, other stuff he hasn't had a place to use it yet, one thing in that example list he hashtags as #KnowingSmile as it's coming up pretty soon, won't divulge on it [fake Hidden Palace Zone. He didn't say that but did you not see #282 or the Shattered covers?], brings up SegaSonic Bros [incorrectly referring to it as being the original SegaSonic the Hedgehog] as something he wants to reference even though it's not really a fit, Ashura is blurry border, he spoke to creator of Ashura (aka guy who found glitch), that guy did some initial design work, some other guy who was in fandom when they were kids basically owned Ashura on fanfic scene [or some weird thing like that because owning a character in the fanfiction scene is silly and restrictive to what other people interpret the thing as], can argue it's just a glitch so no-one can own it, knows they put a lot of work into that, still knows it's not his concept, wouldn't be able to share the rights so to speak, not touching Ashura because it wouldn't be fair to them.

-TF2 classes heroes and Egg Bosses would be - Has affinity for Heavy due to quotes, doesn't think there's a great 1:1 for everybody eg would you include Fang as Sniper despite not being hero, would you have Sonic as Scout even though not nearly as braindead [use the SatAM version then], would you put Vector as Heavy because he would be kind of guy to get into combat or Big because he's big and round, who would be Medic because no mad scientist outside of Eggman and wouldn't fit the theme, doesn't know if Egg Bosses would fit into the nine slots very well at all [plus that was answered in a previous question I think], Clove not remotely like Scout aside from speed, Thunderbolt most patriotic and destructive so maybe parallel to Soldier but doesn't really sync up visually, Kyle thinks Conquering Storm could be Spy, Ian says in terms of refinement [what refinement?], Hood more of the backstabbing, sneaky character, whatever you feel you take, Ian's not going to argue, Kyle jokes about comparing them to Overwatch characters next, overthinks even Sonic as Tracer due to time-travel element making her like Silver.

-Does Ian still think Marine needs to be hit with a rock - Not a rock, all the rocks, hating Marine is running gags, he think she's fun and a foil to Blaze in same way Cream is foil to Amy and Big is foil to everyone [although Cream is foil to both Amy and Blaze nowadays so eh].

Next episode is something to keep an eye on, as it's about the cartoons and comics. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• The topic was unpinned
  • 2 weeks later...

Eeeeeh, I prefer him not even going close to the Ashura-thing, tbh. Since it's a glitched "Sonic", can't find a good reason for using it except for maybe a temporary condition he gets in the story. Also, not real fond of the whole "fandom" formed around it and opposed to having their "idea" used. And personally don't like the name, naming after a religion/god is terrible unless it has good reasons.

Still in the anniversary mood? Good, because Ian is.

Episode 20;

This time, Ian and Kyle take a look at the cartoons and comics of the franchise.

Listen as they talk about their fave cartoons (Ian's fave is most of Season 2 SatAM. As you may have gathered on my recent rant on why I find SatAM season 2 almost complete rubbish, I can't agree on that. Least fave is Underground, which he had to marathon when the epilogue was still a thing. Likes the cruise ship episode of Sonic and the resolution with Ella, early season 1, some of the SA1/2 adaptation episodes, season 3 was too dark for him, Chris Thorndyke a sticking point)

They also talk about comic history (Remembers Sonic X #17 with a leprechaun scene and El Gran Gordo, EGG was born because there was supposed to be a guest writer with WWE ties but that plan fell through, "not for reprint due to licencing shenanigans", restricted to cartoon show, stuck between a couple of episodes of season 2 in continuity, couldn't move onto season 3 because it was out of tone, couldn't really add new stuff because of restrictions set by show licencing, decided to quit while they were ahead and use momentum to launch Universe,

Sonic Boom was Sonic X comic without restrictions, mentions the missing hammer "arc" and the humour there, had fun with it.

Sonic will be 300 late next year, Sonic Universe 100 not long before, would prefer another Universe-like comic to play with, mentions current stories, brings up new lore in Shattered, next story after will feature the Chaotix [wait, that's not history!], clear game plan in where he wants to take the series, all the guest writers have come to him first on how to take stories, Ian lets them alter the direction a bit so they can tell their story, talks about Sonic Mega Drive, tailored script to Hesse's style as he knew Hesse was on it beforehand, hype so big sequel already approved, has one more book in him for Mega Drive if it pans out, wouldn't mind doing a series for it. 

First issue was Sonic late #30-pre endgame 40s (not certain), read through it and didn't understand a thing, story was dense, art wasn't that great, still liked the promise of continuation and sense of adventure hooked him, also Knuckles #1 as he was buying a comic for his little brother, read it himself, had a gaming magazine with feature on Chaotix as he didn't own the game [who did?], that drove him over to fandom as he wanted to follow Knuckles and the Chaotix, part of reason why he put so many footnotes in as they got him to look through the comics backlog as a teen, philosophy was to get readers curious and want to catch up, Kyle started with Sonic #9, other kid told Kyle there was a Sonic comic, kid brought it in and he read it, got a subscription which started with Sonic #13, subscribed until #63 because lost interest when Robotnik was killed off, Ian thinks series would be good study to licencing material in a broader sense, due to starting with no model to go off, early comics were gag comics due to not knowing if it would last, same reason Robotnik was killed off in #50, clearly did last a bit long, thinks partly due to being continuous narrative, standing on its own and that games doing similar, not sure if comic would have lasted as long if Sonic went with Mario approach (aka light story) instead of Adventures etc, briefly discuss anime fad period, lost its way in early 00s, got back on track with Ian's purge, crossover and reboot mentioned, story about Mecha Madness being gotten when the Sonic & Knuckles special order messed up, likes to avoid people having to require more books to read to understand plot which Mecha Madness did.

Sonic the Comic brought up, Kyle read #1, Ian got loaned the complete run, wasn't a fan overall but thought it was interesting, had a British sci-fi feel, got to meet Kitching at SoS, talked about how licencing and approvals were different, brings up story of Metallix, complements artwork for some of the best pieces, brings up Dr Zachary, briefly mentions novels, children's books, Manga and french comics, mentions how one of the novel writers said he didn't particularly have any love for the series and was just another job, so to amuse himself decided to see how much bondage innuendo he could fit into the dialogue, submitted proof with Robotnik and Snively talking about tying up the Freedom Fighters and all the ropes and knots they could use). 

Now, with cliffnotes done, let's...move onto cliffnotes,

-Games he'd like to expand on if given reign to do so - Would like a crack at Sonic Heroes, thinks Shadow's subplot and how Eggman used Chaotix to subvert Neo Metal Sonic's plans were neat, would fine tune a couple of things and make it into a tighter narrative, he'd take a crack at any game but would like more of a Mega Drive ongoing (more adventures with classic cast), current book more continuation of mainline Sonic, joke about SegaSonic Popcorn story, mentions Eggman prancing.

-Plans for saga lengths after SWC is over - wouldn't say it would be set issues or scope because he doesn't want to lock it in, plans after SWC and 25th anniversary celebrations is a shorter arc than usual to get to #300, after has a general game plan, but nothing set for it. 

-Fave main classic Sonic game - S3&K for both, Kyle gives nod to Sonic CD, he didn't realise time travel was an element on first play.  

-Is there a way to get out Wizards Dungeon without key in Itchy and Scratchy CD game - ????? [Given the characters, can't they use explosives to do it?]

-Is Great Blue Realm just Northern - Not gotten into defining oceans, barely done it with the continents and that's just land, would like to get into it, like in an encyclopedia, just introduced the concepts so should give time to explore it.

-Possibility of new secret freedom fighter team because they loved the idea behind it - Not impossible but not a priorty, thought he got too hung up on New Mobotropolis pre-reboot, part of why the SFF concept came to be, Kingdom of Acorn not such a focus post-reboot, Sky Patrol allows FFs to be mobile, maybe if KoA becomes more of a focus but right now more focused on adventures away from one place. 

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

Squids and kids alike can watch the latest Bumblekast episode.

Episode 21;

Yep, today's episode is about (the about to become Splatfest-free) Splatoon. They talk about current things they're doing right now (Hyrule Warriors, and behind the scenes stuff on the Sonic comic he can't talk about yet with a project about to kick in), Splatoon's success, the universal Splatfest, the Amiibo, whether they support Callie or Marie, the themes of the game, Callie and Marie's blood relation, how they'd improve it, and more.

But if we want the discussion to stay fresh, we might as well move onto the Q&A!

-Does the artist help figure out what to do with comic - Knew Hesse was writing Mega Drive ahead of time so knew to tailor script to his style, can do that for other artists if known ahead of time, usually doesn't have input on specific layout, doesn't get to see pages often until it's done, artists usually work to tight deadlines so have to get it submitted quickly, trusts his art team to be able to do great work without him as an editor/supervisor, so doesn't usually work directly with artist but does occasionally get contacted by artist for clarification on some points, 

-How Ian looks at feedback for work - Snoops around online, can interact in some places like email or Twitter, not nearly as public about it as he used to be since BK forums shut down, partially because he doesn't want his presence to bias conversations, also gets packages of fanmail occasionally, interesting in range of ages, genders, regions (eg one from Malaysia), also varied, some very well-spoken children for their ages.

-Cream's role in comic despite being a Freedom Fighter, and why her relationship with Sally is most shown - Refer back to previous episodes because it's been covered before, the point of the SWC was to rebuild the mythos, FFs needed to be explained because of how they changed in design and backstories, Cream did not, she's a game character, who she is and her what her dynamic is are not going to change and set by SEGA, no point reiterating what you know when you could show what you don't know, didn't make concentrated effort to have her hang out with Sally more than anyone else, more for Sally's sake to flesh out who she is by using established characters like Amy and Cream (thought he had more of Sally and Amy interacting than Sally and Cream), point is expanding comic cast as game cast is foundation because they're set, Cream's grown on Ian, wasn't a fan of her at first but then he played Sonic Battle which played with idea of Cream being the Tails to Amy, this was around the time that Amy's characterisation was pretty...kooky crazy before being dialled down, Cream being voice of reason of two despite age difference made for fun dynamic, Amy's since been dialled back so dynamic isn't as bombastic, comic version of  Amy a little more proactive than game Amy so dynamic will be a little more zippy. 

-Favourite Sonic, Mega Man and comic original character - Kyle; Sonic: Sonic (main character), HMs Blaze (wants more of her), Sticks (fun character), Mighty. 

When Kyle says SEGA have forgotten about Mighty, Ian retorts that they haven't completely forgotten him for two reasons;

1. Knuckles Chaotix anniversary had the Knuckles Chaotix recreation which had Mighty with the art.

2. Apparently a survey went out last month asking questions, and the "characters you know of and characters you'd like to see" questions had Mighty. 

Doesn't know if it means anything or just a small nod, but he's hoping. Kyle thinks Mighty being removed from the Chaotix was a limitation of Heroes' format

Mega Man: X (design, consistent in comic and more to his vision), comic didn't get far with him, Ian wanted to rationalise the pacifism of X7), Proto Man, Bass, Splash Woman.

Comic originals: Nicole, Bunnie, Conquering Storm, Relic, Quake Woman, Dr Lalinde.

Ian; Sonic: Knuckles (first favourite, always will be a favourite)

Mega Man: Dr Wily (entertaining, loves the mad scientist trope).

Comic originals: Eclipse (because he managed to pull him off), Gilbert D Stern and Roslyn Krantz (another point of view in the world, their dynamics)

-Project he'd like to see as an animated series (out of Sylvanna or Raiders of the Abyss) - Practicality-wise Sylvanna, and also for the spectacle you could pull off with it. 

-What he'd do on a bad day - Read, play a game, zone out on the porch, eat a large cheeseburger, don't sing Daniel Powter, Kyle does the same except also sleep, Ian gets angry when he wakes up and thinks he could have done something more productive. 

Wait, that means Kaotic is a Patreon. Huh. Also the Cream question was not theirs for the record.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not too sure what the point of all Cream questions are at the moment. It may just be because I'm not too terribly interested, but what he's having Cream be seems like it fits rather well for her character to me. It's got to be hard working with a creature whose ability to fight should notably be hampered a bit by her reluctance to. She'll do it if she needs to but it's pretty easy to keep her away when you've got so many other characters to work with which is probably why he's got her circling the drain of the Sky Patrol. All these in-depth explanations about how he keeps her close to Sally because of whatever the fuck don't seem too necessary to me. 

It is one of those things that stands out though. He does openly treat her character more like a sheltered child compared to the other active child characters within the book. That might be a bit of a sticking point for some of her fans. I guess someone like me isn't all too qualified to have a complete opinion on that though since she's serving the role I feel is best suited for her. 

Honestly, it's a lot better then what I remember being done to Amy before. The whole thing where she transformed her body to become a Freedom Fighter but wasn't allowed in cause she was still young kind of annoyed me. Even worse when she brought up Tails being young which forced Sally to be like "But he's smarter and has more experience" to which even I had to be like "Goddamn. That's pretty cold... I mean she's sort of right but still." And then seeing her ceremony where she finally become one made me feel weird. Like at that point she should have just said "Fuck the Freedom Fighters, I'm going on missions without their consent." Or formed an official Team Rose she could be the leader of. 

Basically, what I'm trying to say is I don't like the Freedom Fighters format. Again. I say that a lot though...

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

Wait, that means Kaotic is a Patreon.

Actually, I'm not ^^; Though even if I did have a Patreon, that question wasn't meant to be a priority question. Kyle put my question in the "Priority Q&A" by accident, according to his reply to my comment on YouTube (which has since been erased when the video got re-uploaded) :lol: I'm very conflicted about getting a Patreon reward for free, cause that just feels wrong, but Kyle seemed to be in good nature about it and it's just $5, so no harm done right?

I'm very tempted to reply to Dr. Chaotix and how this treatment of Cream is worth questioning and ranting about, but screw it. Nobody ever seems to understand the exact problem and they couldn't care less because it's about Cream the Rabbit. I mean, who cares about her, right? It makes total sense to have her be forced onto the sidelines and not contribute at all despite being a member of the protagonists because she's just the "cute face", she shouldn't be allowed to do anything impactful, especially fighting, despite the games showing otherwise and despite Big, a character who has even less of a role in the games than Cream, getting to contribute so much to the comics lately. But hey, I understand; this is a situation nobody can care about and it perfectly suits Cream's character, even though it makes just as much sense for her to spring into action to help out her friends, prove herself useful, and most importantly justify her presence in the group of protagonists.

• Thumbs Up 1

As Stupid Dog pointed out, Cream has shown in the past (at least in the games), that despite being one of the more peaceful characters in the franchise, she isn't exactly a stranger to fighting. And hell, even if Cream can't participate in fights, they can still have her do something in the comics.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just because Cream was capable of fighting in the games (well, I wouldn't say she fought so much as acted as a Pokémon trainer and made Cheese do all the work for her; she never threw a punch herself) doesn't mean she should fight. Honestly the thought of Cream being just as much of a fighter as Sonic or Knuckles, even in the games, always seemed fucking stupid to me. I actually like her better as someone who acts more like a child, 'cause lord knows the Sonic series is already full of prepubescent characters with unnatural talents and intellect for their ages.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, Stupid Dog said:

I'm very tempted to reply to Dr. Chaotix and how this treatment of Cream is worth questioning and ranting about, but screw it. Nobody ever seems to understand the exact problem and they couldn't care less because it's about Cream the Rabbit. I mean, who cares about her, right? It makes total sense to have her be forced onto the sidelines and not contribute at all despite being a member of the protagonists because she's just the "cute face", she shouldn't be allowed to do anything impactful, especially fighting, despite the games showing otherwise and despite Big, a character who has even less of a role in the games than Cream, getting to contribute so much to the comics lately. But hey, I understand; this is a situation nobody can care about and it perfectly suits Cream's character, even though it makes just as much sense for her to spring into action to help out her friends, prove herself useful, and most importantly justify her presence in the group of protagonists.

Yeah. You're kind of right about that. There's not much to reply to me about here honestly. You could, but, reading this you seem to be bringing up similar versions of arguments I brought up within that post anyway. I have to come to grips with a lot of things people think about the characters I like too so I know a bit how you feel.

I will add something to the post though. I don't necessarily believe that going out and fighting will instantly serve as a justification for her or anyone else's presence. The comic is flooded with tons of characters, most of which have names and designs that I can't recall right now because at the moment a lot of them remain just as extraneous to the book. That isn't to say that having a lot of characters around is a bad thing. It keeps the world active and alive and helps spread out the work load so that different things can be accomplished by different people for the sake of a more flowing narrative. That in turn could go a long way to providing a justification for their presence. Hell, you don't even need to go that far. You could simply have a very interesting or funny character around for the sake of doing what every comic should be doing, entertaining me. 

Cream just kind of floats in that area right now where I just can't really care all too much on it's own. Within the games, yeah, I know she can fight, but the games shockingly have less characters around than the comic does and when you have so many who run under the label of Freedom Fighter, what about her stands out that could make her escape that? Her personality isn't unique or interesting enough for that to be all she has to rely on. I'm not saying her personality is bad but if she were Tails she'd have the benefit of being a genius with her own quirk of mechanical prowess to add on to the fact that she's good-natured, can also fly, and the fact that she's the best friend of a hedgehog. On top of that she'd probably get a few self-esteem issues that pinned in a desire to see her develop rather then simply being someone whose always polite. Or if she were Charmy she would have the benefit of not being a Freedom Fighter and thus have a position that allowed for her appearances to work within a space that calls for a more interesting presence within the book by default. Being their own team that works for hire, they don't have to follow the normal, boring conventions of doing regulated missions from the Sky Patrol. Not to mention, because the three of them are so incredibly misfit and the direct opposite of the other two, the reliance on them bouncing their personalities off of one another makes their interactions more interesting on top of that rather then seeing blank slate good-guy number 1 talk to blank slate good-guy number 2 (with probably with a random quirk added to their personality) about how they're totally gonna beat up Eggman yo.

Basically, I'm saying yet again how much I hate the Freedom Fighter dynamic... damn.

To me, her presence witihin the games hasn't been one that I've felt SEGA's done a good job of honing in interest to see pushed more. She already lives a clean and comfortable life and doesn't really have much in lue of an occupation or developmental standpoint to exploit. They could give her one but they don't. As of now whenever she's forced to go out there and do something it's because the a-okay life she lives has been compromised personally in some way. Her mother will get kidnapped, or her chao will get kidnapped, or her chaos' brother will get kidnapped, or she'll get kidnapped, or she'll... wander into the Cryptic Castle and you'll have to find and save her which... even as someone whose not a big fan of Cream, I thought that was a little bit... odd...

I mean, it's not like I hate her but I'm currently lacking too much in personal interest due to what her current position is within the series to give much of a toss. 

I'm not fond of the FF thing either. 

1 hour ago, Sean said:

I actually like her better as someone who acts more like a child, 'cause lord knows the Sonic series is already full of prepubescent characters with unnatural talents and intellect for their ages.

While I agree that the Sonic series has so many talented characters (I mean, they're main characters and they do have faults to balance out) and she isn't the type to fight, that doesn't make me agree Cream should be less talented just because. I also know that Cream is one of the most difficult character for the comic to handle because her character just doesn't fit with the universe itself, but that doesn't excuse them from giving her less treatment.

What makes me upset is that they put her in the main FF team...only to not let her do anything. I don't expect her to take the spotlight, but when she does something it makes me ask "did you need her for that". The comic focuses mainly on the main FF,  but despite being a member she isn't really contributing like the other characters because all the major role is pretty much taken. And she can't go anywhere else, because the characters that she has a closer bond in the game is in the team doing their own job.

This get's a little off topic, but I personally wish I can see more of the game characters having the relationship they had in the game; like Sonic-Tails-Knuckles hanging out, Tails and Sonic going on a nice trip, Sonic running around and meeting Tails or his friends, etc. I know the comic and game is different and I don't expect them to be too similar, but I enjoyed how they are freely doing their individual things and meet one another by coincidence. Or how they're having a nice day, bad guys come, time to save the day, back to enjoying peace. The comic can't do that because they're constantly in danger, most of the character is already in the same team, and its just mission mission mission with occasional meeting up with other teams. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

This episode will never catch on.

Episode 22;

This week's episode talks about the latest that is Pokemon GO G-GO GO GO GO, and all that it entails. This week has an extra guest; DiamondDeath! They talk about how Pokemon GO has taken the world, their favourite and least favourite Pokemon and designs [Ian doesn't like the designs of Salamence and Sylveon for the record], the newly revealed Pokemon for Sun and Moon, what they want in said game, what starters they'll choose, name translations (or lack of it in some cases), what hypothetical Pokemon they'd make and what they're expecting in the future based on how much it's playing with the formula. 

Me, I prefer GO-Goer Hunting. Basically, you look around and tally as many people who look like they're playing Pokemon GO as you go along. So, let's GO and cover the Q&A.

-Chronological order for first few games - Ian has one (specifies that Sonic fought final Death Egg Silver Sonic before prototype), wants to put out official one, has discovered it may be better to wait on that because he learned (via notes he got back from SEGA Japan) that Sonic R is canon*, hence why Metal is showing up in Next Level before he would in Sonic 4, impacts how he will be structuring event, comic doesn't have to stick 100% to game timeline since they're already clearly not doing that [Unleashed], for now treating Mega Drive era and similar style stuff as "the past", Sonic 4 as the bridge between that and current times, doesn't feel like he's stepping on toes even with Sonic 4 debate of order (so Sonic 4 would be before SA), classic era is more free-flowing in events so more era of adventure so they don't have to tie into one another, current time stuff more rigid, would explain Metal in Sonic 4 as Metal managing to get back onto Little Planet again somehow. 

-Other Freedom Fighter reactions to visit Meropis (ie not Sonic, Amy or Rotor) - Not reluctant at all, Meropis has been city in the world for a while, just fell out of public eye, how they're trying to get back into public eye on world platform is part of Meropis sub-plot (which will be touched more on in Chaotix arc), not so much maical city as just a location you can get to freely, will be accommodated by Meropians, Sonic isn't fond of it for obvious reasons, Antoine might be antsy about it due to it being so deep and the wildlife, curious about cut snorkel item from Sonic 1 after conversation about why Sonic can't swim. 

-Breeding mechanics - Doesn't want to get into it yet because we haven't really had an example of mixed species parents getting together and having a kid [Undina is an example now, though], can argue there's something of it there between King Acorn and Sally, you can argue what Ant and Bunnie's kids will look like, for now not got kids running around like that, part of reason old rules were established pre-reboot was because there were no rules and tried to make sense of it, now there isn't anything he wants to leave it alone as soon as he say "Oh, it's this or that" SEGA would turn around with something that contradicted that potentially (his hypothetical random example was Vanilla marrying a tiger, which would mean Cream doesn't make sense), weary of doing anything that could conflict with what SEGA could do due to seeing exactly that pre-reboot, would rather avoid it.

-Sonic Lost World adaptation explaining things that weren't explained in the games - Insert a minute of conch here, still up in the air comic will tackle Lost World, did touch on it in Halloween special (which is supposed to be canon to the game), how Eggman conquered Zeti is already fairly well explained in the game, Lost Hex's history probably won't be covered due to not wanted to conflict with any plans SEGA might have for it, already laid breadcrumbs on how Eggman gets the conch [ie Wendy], insert another minute of conch here.

-Favourite film of the year so far: Ian: Civil War, went into it very nervous, pleased with result, wants to see plenty but hasn't had time to see them. Kyle agrees, with Deadpool 2nd. 

-Seldom seen Freedom Fighter interactions to be explored after SWC? - Wants to mix them up more, so far groupings have mostly been very familiar so people know what to expect, wants to explore more and different interactions, doesn't want to get into it too much because that treads into long-term plans, wants to see them.

-Function of Time Stones between pre-reboot and now - Would imagine the Time Stones would work largely the same as Chaos Emeralds since he based what they did off the games, Sonic CD bad ending makes it look like you can use a Time Stone to travel back in time, doesn't know if he'll use the term Chronos Control or whether he's even allowed to use the Time Stones again, would be interesting to compare the Time Stones to the Chaos Emeralds in terms of powers and uses, seems like TIme Stones can be used by anyone but hard to come by, Chaos Emeralds are for anyone to use but you have to know Chaos Control which limits it to three [living, since the Biolizard is dead] characters, would need to explore in depth as opposed to fully answering off the top of his head. maybe in a time travel story. 

*Which...yeah, I can see it. While it was a Traveler's Tales game, the character design of the exclusive characters fell on Uekawa, who still works with Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bit late to post this week, but my plate has been stacked. So let's just jump in!

Episode 23;

This episode is all about the war of the consoles. Some mention is given to older console wars (like Intellivision vs Colecovision) and they talk about how the modern console wars don't really compare, but Nintendo vs SEGA is the main course. We get some history, and then we find out what side everyone was on (Kyle was Nintendo then drifted to SEGA), Daniel (the guest; yep, this episode has a guest!) didn't take a side since he didn't have a choice, Ian was always SEGA, bought a SEGA Nomad and would have totally got a CD and 32X in the day if he had the money. They also talk about the reality of console war kids in the modern day, retro memories for consoles and PCs, the mystery of the NX, the Wii U's terrible "cross-buy" system, the Vita's...presence and how Blockbuster laughed Netflix out of their office and paid the price for it.

I'm afraid I was too young for the console wars. By the time I was actively looking for consoles, it was about 2003 and I was only looking for the consoles with Sonic on them. So with that out, time for the Q&A!

-Did gaming bring family together - Yes and no, mum wasn't into gaming, brothers came together over it, mentions Sonic 2 and Super Mario 64 tag team relay, youngest brother deleted file by accident and it cause a -bit- of frustration, same brother is reliving Genesis library now, Kyle's parents bought the console for themselves and decided to show little 3 year old Kyle, dad doesn't really play anymore but mum is a hardcore WoW player still, parents weren't really into Sonic, Ian and Aleah both bond over games, Daniel's family not much into gaming but dad was really good at Virtua Cop on Saturn (there's a reason why) and mum played Crazy Taxi and spent time screaming and apologising to in-game people. 

- Elaboration on troll civilization and Witchcart's backstory - Eventually yes, issue wasn't out as of the recording [but it is as of this typing!], it sets up stuff to be explored, we'll also get more on her interactions with Walter, wants to eventually show how the Witchcarters came into her service and why, hundreds of issues of material's worth overall in exploring ideas right now so it's going to be down the road. 

- Does Sky Patrol have space capabilities (on the assumption it's a Death Egg counterpart) - Only counterpart insofar as being a flying base, Death Egg is way out of it's league, DE meant to be the ultimate battleship but currently critically underfueled so not doing as much as it can, SP probably on par with Egg Carrier so no slouch but not really able to fight the DE even if the DE was at a low point (unless in very specific circumstances), defences of SP are so high because they're running off Eggman tech, does not have space capability, just atmospheric.

- Was Smalls Moebian counterpart to Big, any other voice differences he thought of for other characters between worlds, voice of Moebian Kintobor - Yes he was, not really any voice differences, just in tone and inflections, Kintobor is interesting as Ian thought of him as having game Eggman voice as soon as he got the design, but as time went on proper Eggman was written with Mike Pollock in mind so imagined a soft-spoken Jim Cummings since he was based on old Robotnik, thought it was impossible until Kyle brought up the fact Jim plays Winnie the Pooh. so now retroactive Word of God is that Ivan Kintobor sounds like Winnie the Pooh. 

- Has Sonic explored multiverse outside of Worlds Unite - No until the games say otherwise, didn't expect another classic era story but now Sonic Mania is on the horizon, so the games could still explore it, so for now he's only multiverse hopped in Worlds Unite and the Rush events [and...technically Sonic Rivals 2 too. That was dimension hopping, and that's clearly happened due to the prologue for WU], Genesis portals are still there in case they ever get the chance to do so. 

-  If Sonic got another spin-off book, which characters would be best candidate for getting book storywise - Popularity is key factor unfortunately, and the only possible candidate on that factor is Shadow, would give wisdom teeth for something like an ongoing "Shadow and the Agents of GUN" book, thinks it would be fun if there was an ongoing Freedom Fighters book, none of them alone could carry a book but together could explore the world and have fun adventures, could also free up main comic because ensemble cast issue is that when one shows up, you expect rest to show up so this would free up characters and mix it up, if they were off in their own space, Sonic could be free to go around the world on his own, not locked up with FFs at all times anyway since he tends to go off and do his own thing but it'd be an interesting direction to take it, not sure if anyone else could support ongoing book, maybe Silver if done like Marvel and travelling to different time periods and trying to right wrongs, interesting to tackle a Tails book because he is a supporting character by design, doesn't know if he could carry book as a lead but it'd be interesting to try, risk him stepping toes on main book because he doesn't do that much differently to Sonic (as in they're out to have adventures and stop evil and have same goals, even if approaches were different), doesn't know if anyone can carry a book solo but do have individual strong stories, so basically he'd need another Sonic Universe.

- Favourite Sonic/Mega Man covers (of recent years) - Big combined cover of WU done by Bates, Mega-Man send-off cover with the band done by Jampole, covers by Rafa Knight, any of the Evil BFF variants from Worlds Collide, the T.Rex Silver Sonic schematic cover, Panic in the Sky triptych cover coming up, Countdown to Chaos triptych cover, 278/279 duality covers, comparison between Sonic and FFs and Eggman and Desert Raiders, out of universe first hint that something wasn't quite as it seemed with them, Sonic #264 with Werehog tearing through cover, Kyle also likes Sonic Universe #54 with Sonic and Megaman punching through it, Sonic Universe #51 with character select, Sonic #251 with Super Sonic and Super Mega Man, basically all the WC covers for him, not an exhaustive list.

• Thumbs Up 3