Jump to content
Chris Knopps

*(Eiji Aonuma - Developers Should Leave Ideologies Out?)*

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, isCasted said:

As long as people are buying and enjoying the product developers should be allowed to do whatever they want. "Ideology" is a really wide term, which can mean things from political visions to preferences in food. Saying that ideology in art is harmful implies that people are so brainless they'll blindly accept everything they see.

Art is supposed to expand one's worldview. The only reason to remove ideology from art is when it's so pervasive it's annoying, because that hurts people's enjoyment of it. If it's presented in a right way, it's perfectly acceptable.

Isn't that pretty much what BOOM and Lost World has done despite the positives groups find in both?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems we have yet another misunderstanding here. I think what CK meant is that the developers shouldn't put random ideas they like in games they are handling. While it's natural that the writers put a bit of themselves in their work, they should know what's the series about.

The problem with this series is that the developers have been trying to raise sales by using ideas from more popular franchises and pleasing non-Sonic fans ever since it went multi-platform. Heroes is a simpler game with more characters because they tried to introduce the series to new people, but it's not like Sonic fans weren't be able to follow the series on different consoles. Then they realized how guns and dark elements were becoming more popular in games so we got ShTH and '06. After a few more original games that had other problems they started using nostalgia to sell games and pandering to Mario fans.

Then there is Sonic Boom. We all know that it's supposed to go into a different direction, but what IS that direction exactly? RoL, SC and the show are all too different from each other, obviously because of different writers and lack of communication. I think that's what this "ideology" problem really means.

It's like they don't have confidence in what Sonic originally was. I hope what they said about quality focus and realizing how big the fanbase still is really means something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mauricius said:

It's like they don't have confidence in what Sonic originally was.

Pretty much - the 3D era of the franchise has been constantly changing gameplay and mechanics.

In contrast, since the N64 there have been three types of  'proper' Mario games - 3D ones, 2D ones, and RPGS. You pick up any Mario game and you know what you're getting based on the box (especially since all the NSMB titles have the exact same box art).

With Sonic, you could be shooting down the president, using a gravity gun in the future, playing God Of War, going through stages at 200mph or playing a classic Sonic game. It speaks volumes  that when Iizuka says that Sonic Team

"want to build a Sonic title which represents the evolution of the Sonic series over the last 20 years"   

People here have no idea what he could possibly mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Hyp3hat said:

"want to build a Sonic title which represents the evolution of the Sonic series over the last 20 years"   

People here have no idea what he could possibly mean. 

Sounds like Generations to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but as others have pointed out, there's  only been two Sonic games since then. Surely SEGA aren't so stupid as make Generations 2 with a Lost World and Boom level and obviously Starlight Carnival HD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Iizuka's quote is likely nothing more than PR jargon.  Meaningless words that sound enthusiastic.  I don't think we're supposed to take that to mean anything, nor do I think it will match up to whatever game is eventually released this year.  With everything said above, though, I sincerely hope that they don't decide to make a second Generations type game, especially this early on.  Like come on, guys, how many more iterations of Green Hill Zone can we be expected to play?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Tara said:

Iizuka's quote is likely nothing more than PR jargon.  Meaningless words that sound enthusiastic.  I don't think we're supposed to take that to mean anything, nor do I think it will match up to whatever game is eventually released this year.  With everything said above, though, I sincerely hope that they don't decide to make a second Generations type game, especially this early on.  Like come on, guys, how many more iterations of Green Hill Zone can we be expected to play?

As long as it officially is an inoffensive, non-threatening common ground for the gamers, we will probably play Green Hill Zone for about 25 years more. People don't seem to question it, so why bother change it?

Ah, I love cynicism. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were to be optimistic, then I think the quote is more hinting at a 3D game with a singular gameplay style that's a culmination of all of their learning experiences more than a Gens 2, if only because Iizuka specifically mentions that it's taking into account the past 20 years which decidedly leaves the classic games out of consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So he doesn't think Sonic games should teach a life lesson?

 

Well Mr. Aonuma can go jimmy himself with a piping hot iron rod. I love my morality based ideology in a Sonic game....*thinks about every game after Unleashed* Ohh yeah....that left a long time ago...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎-‎02‎-‎2016 at 10:13 PM, Nepenthe said:

If I were to be optimistic, then I think the quote is more hinting at a 3D game with a singular gameplay style that's a culmination of all of their learning experiences more than a Gens 2, if only because Iizuka specifically mentions that it's taking into account the past 20 years which decidedly leaves the classic games out of consideration.

Alright, Shadow the hedgehog style weapons combat and vehicle driving in the new Sonic game, it'll be awesome... just kidding.

I don't think leaving out Ideologies should be needed, rather, developers should take care not to turn their games into a authors tract aimed at spending 90 percent of the story time talking about what the developers/director believes in.

Kojima, I'm looking at you and your "nukes/war is bad" ideology.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, WakanoBaka said:

So he doesn't think Sonic games should teach a life lesson?

 

Well Mr. Aonuma can go jimmy himself with a piping hot iron rod. I love my morality based ideology in a Sonic game....*thinks about every game after Unleashed* Ohh yeah....that left a long time ago...

Actually that's not what Aonuma's even really saying. Heck, this isn't even really anything in relation to Sonic, so much as it is an out-of-context excerpt that Chris Knopps appears to be using to elucidate how he himself apparently feels about SOnic T. Hegehog, despite this having little to nothing to do with him in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.