Awoo.

GameTrailers Shutting Down

TCB

You know of GameTrailers; the video game site that focuses on related content such as podcasts, reviews and like the name implies, video game trailers? Remember going to their site for those Brawl countdown videos? Or their extensive E3 coverage? Well after 13 long years they are shutting down:

They are hosting one final Twitch stream at 6PM PST/9PM EST/2AM GMT as well. For those preservationists better go and start salvaging what you can of content; saving, backing up and up-loading elsewhere. With that said, what memories do you have with this website? For me I don't have much but I always appreciated their work around E3 and their video quality was top notch. Annnnnnnnnd this video, as a SEGA fan this had me marking out:

I remember going to Gametrailers to see the gameplay of Savannah Citadel Day Act 1 of Sonic Unleashed.

I'm sorry to hear that the site is closing down.

A few times I would go to their site to watch around E3 time. And I really enjoyed their Zelda timeline video. Thanks for making a topic on this TCB. I didn't know. 

Their Zelda timeline and KH vids were really the only thing of late I found notable. Still, it is weird to see a huge company like this going. 

Spoiler

Now how long before IGN goes down huehue

• Thumbs Up 2

The Metal Gear Retrospective and Pop Fiction videos I'd like to see saved.

Did they say if they are gonna keep their Youtube up?

I haven't seen too much of them, but I did enjoy seeing their reviews.

Shame to see them go...

23 minutes ago, goku262002 said:

The Metal Gear Retrospective and Pop Fiction videos I'd like to see saved.

Did they say if they are gonna keep their Youtube up?

That I don't know.

I haven't visited GameTrailers in years, but I'm kinda sad to see it go. I remember going there all the time back in the day.

..Though the most vivid memory I have of it is when we found out about Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures and I went to GT just to see if it was real.

Always went to GameTrailers to keep up to date on the latest...well, GameTrailers. Always liked the people involved with that site, as well. A shame.

Any reason stated as to why they're closing?

From what I'm hearing, all they can say at this time is ""Defy (the media network that hosts GT) doesn't want to invest in GT anymore." 

If that's so, then this sounds like something that the GT team caught out of the blue.

So long as all of the employees can land on their feet as quickly as possible and Pop-Fiction is salvaged (tempted to download all of their YouTube videos just in case), then this isn't too big of a loss for me. I was really only in it for Brandon Jones' projects like Pop-Fiction and Timeline, and with those having miserably slowed down over the years I just lost interest in the site altogether. Still, kinda sad a major player in the online gaming journalism biz is going under.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think GameTrailers constantly to look up gameplay and trailers for games.  Most fondly, I remember it as being where I got my first look at Sonic and the Secret Rings, which had me quite excited at the time.  YouTube has pretty much made it irrelevant now, but it is pretty nostalgic to think about and very sad to see it go.

I remember back in the day, because they had one guy who was really good at their narrations, a bunch of people thought that one person wrote all their reviews.  They might have been able to stick around had they rebranded, as others have said, Youtube made the function that is implied by their name redundant.  

Out of all the big video game sites, I always found myself more in agreement with GT reviews than anything Gamespot, or IGN wrote.  Really going to miss it.  Hopefully everyone can quickly find new employment.  At this point, it's the best thing that can happen.

Never really looked at the site extensively, but no doubt they'll be missed.

Me? I do hope the people involved will find something to do.

I'm really gutted about this. I was an active viewer/listener for the past two years and I'm really gonna miss them. I hope a majority of the crew is able to stick together.

Upsetting news. From what I remember, they had a bunch of interviews with Radical when they were developing Crash of the Titans and Mind Over Mutant that I couldn't find on the web, along with some other Crash videos. They were nicely done and were lengthy too. 

I wish them nothing but the best and good luck. 

Gosh I loved going to GT to see all the E3 stuff, heck I have fond memories of watching some sonic unleashed trailers there.

sad to see it go.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2016 at 7:38 PM, KHCast said:

Their Zelda timeline and KH vids were really the only thing of late I found notable. Still, it is weird to see a huge company like this going. 

Hide contents

Now how long before IGN goes down huehue

IGN's not going down anytime soon.