Awoo.

Dreamcast Discussion

Zanoh

Ah I so remember it well. The year the Dreamcast launched. History does say the Dreamcast was ahead of it's time, and in my humble opinion I agree. It was the first console to acess online with both 56.k and Broadband. It was the first 6th generation console. It was also the first console to do downloadable content (DLC) into your Virtual Memory Unit (VMU for short). I am glad Sega left us this little bundle of joy for I still play Phantasy Star Online, Sonic Adventure 1, Sonic Adventure 2, Grandia II, Shenmue, and even Jet Grind Radio.

My only complaint about this system was the format it uses. Had this had DVD inserted into it, I believe it would have beaten Sony's Playstation 2. This is just my opinion really because there are other factors that made Sega go third party and multi-platform.

So the question I have and for many to share their thoughts on is if you still have a dreamcast or used to have one, and if so what was it like to play this humble yet exquisite piece of hardware? :)

I still have mine and it is still my favorite console of its generation. Mine is currently hooked up in my little sister’s room because that girl can’t get enough of Crazy Taxi (which is weird because she is not a gamer at all).

The Dreamcast was leaps and bounds ahead of its time. It revolutionized features that probably wouldn’t be too out of place in this current generation. There was an over abundance of quality, cult-classic and instant-classic games that to this day remain with me.

The Dreamcast to me was the industry’s first attempt at thinking outside the box of what a videogame can be. The developers for its core tittles really pushed the market ahead and turned game development, into an art-form.

Couldn't agree with you any more ^.^

I have mine hooked up to a Bravia V-Series 1080p HDTV at it's stretched 480i. Everything except light gun games work on it with no lag what so ever!

I never owned a Dreamcast, but my best friend did, at at the time of its peak, it was pretty much the only one of his consoles we ever played (he had about five others, the rich bastard). Sonic Adventure, Power Stone and Shenmue, that was the holy trinity for us.

I believe this fits better in the Computer Games section, so I will move it over there instead. :)

While I'm here though, nah, I never owned a Dreamcast. I actually don't know anyone in real life who did. It might be the console I know the least about, at least one of them, though it does sound like a kickass console. ^__^

Couldn't agree with you any more ^.^

I have mine hooked up to a Bravia V-Series 1080p HDTV at it's stretched 480i. Everything except light gun games work on it with no lag what so ever!

When I game on mine, I steal it from my sister and take it downstairs to my gaming rig

(Those of you from the pre-crash SSMB have caught a glimpse at its greatness).

The main components are a 60 inch (I think) Mitsubishi 1080i 1080p HDTV/HDMI multiport with a surround sound system. The set-up works perfectly with all my consoles (after a manhunt for the proper connection ports)

Nothing beats throwing down in Power Stone while in a Lazy-Boy recliner.

Hey guys, it's my first post!!!

I had a Dreamcast and bought a second one when I moved to University. It was my most-played console at the time because o the sheer amount of shooters (vertical / horizontal) and fighting games on it.

I only really started playing the PS2 / GC when they started porting DC games over with extras (like Street Fighter 3: TS that was arcade perfect, unlike the DC one).

Skies of Arcadia was also superior on the GC as opposed to the DC as it had extra stuff and balanced gameplay.

I still fire the console up occasionally though - nothing beats a session of Spawn: In the Demons Hand with a bunch of friends!

Plus, though the GC versions of SA 1 & 2 might have extras, something just doesn't feel right playing it on anything that isn't a DC - might be the pad...

cause_of_chaos

I do not have many games for it (university costs do not allow me much flexibility on ebay), but it sits in my home entertainment setup right in the center, like it is Sega's white holy shrine.

When I game on mine, I steal it from my sister and take it downstairs to my gaming rig

(Those of you from the pre-crash SSMB have caught a glimpse at its greatness).

The main components are a 60 inch (I think) Mitsubishi 1080i 1080p HDTV/HDMI multiport with a surround sound system. The set-up works perfectly with all my consoles (after a manhunt for the proper connection ports)

Nothing beats throwing down in Power Stone while in a Lazy-Boy recliner.

OH DUDE! I can't beat a 60 inch, but I am able to lay down in my bed to play the Dreamcast with the extension cable. THAT makes it all the more relaxing *nods*.

I believe this fits better in the Computer Games section, so I will move it over there instead. :)

While I'm here though, nah, I never owned a Dreamcast. I actually don't know anyone in real life who did. It might be the console I know the least about, at least one of them, though it does sound like a kickass console. ^__^

Hmmmm Youtube it if it kicks your interest. If you need to know anything at all, just ask and I will help solve most of your Dreamcast related questions. ^.^

Edited by Zanoh

While I never owned a Dreamcast, I played it at stores, friend's houses and a hotel's game center. It was an awesome console with some great games. In the future, I'd love to pick up the console for collection and memory purposes.

A Dreamcast can’t be that expensive these days, everyone should have one. ;) Some of the games might be a bit harder to find though. It took me literally forever to hunt down Air Force Delta after I lost the original one somewhere *groan*

I think a couple of you guys would join me in calling the DC Manta the best controller ever made. It fits in your hands perfectly, which was rare for me because I have a rather large set of mits. Even the VMU was ridiculously unnecessary, I mean, on how many other consoles can you play games on your memory card? Not only that but the little HUD on your controller made multiplayer games more immune to the effects of screen watching.

Man….. I'm gonna go screw around with my Chao for awhile…..

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I never owned a Dreamcast but I plan on buying a used one some time or another. I do remember back when Sonic Adventure 2 came out I always hung out at Circuit City playing it on their Dreamcast demos systems.

That's how my family was formerly introduced to Sonic. Sonic Adventure. How beautiful. :'( (I diiiiid play Sonic 2 and 3 at my neighbor's house when I was tiny little thing.)

It's somewhere in a box lol.

Upon the Dreamcast's death, I really wanted to get one. My dad and I looked all over town for one, to no avail. At least until the very last shop that was left; it turned out that there was one left, reserved for someone else. However, that person failed to pick it up that day the manager just decided to sell it to my dad.

I didn't get many games for it - besides both SA1 and SA2, I also got Samba de Amigo (without maracas). A while back, I even imported a few titles: namely, Sonic Shuffle (I ended up receiving two copies off eBay, because after about a month of ordering the first copy, I contacted the seller in case it got lost, and he sent out another one. About a week later, I got the game... and over a month later, I got another copy. Whoops. I meant to sent it back, but I ended up forgetting about it) and Samba de Amigo ver. 2000.

I decided to celebrate RE5's release by playing Code Veronica on my dreamcast, without saving, over and over until I beat it without dying. So far I can get to that doctor Mengele type guy. Turns out you can't kill him with a knife. Anybody know if the downloadable content is still out there?

I bought a Dreamcast a few years back and played Sonic Adventure, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi 2, and Space Channel 5 on it. It was pretty cool but the controller is a tad weird and the games I played weren't THAT amazing. Tried to play them again recently, but the damn thing won't work anymore for some reason so oh well, lol.

Not that I'm denying that some people genuinely love the console, but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if secretly deep down, 50% of self-professed Dreamcast lovers just say it's the best console ever to be cool and retro.

Well I just wanna say the Dreamcast is "the best console ever"!

But because I'm a SEGA fan and a 2D fighting games fan...

and BOY do I have a lot of these lots of KoF, 2 Fatal Fury, many Street fighters, a Darkstalker compilation, MARK OF THE WOLVES, etc...

And because I've never played a Playstation and didn't grew up with their controllers, I still think the DC Pad is one of the best pads ever made. But I also love to use the Saturn ASCII pad for Dreamcast :P

Anyway that's my opinion! Lots of great fun games, a lot of 2D games (the other systems like the Gamecube and the PS2 hadn't any 2D games anymore at that time), great fighting games and of course it was SEGA's console! Mine's still plugged! Alongside SEGA's other systems on my HD screen :D

unlike my Xbox and Gamecube that are stocked away at home...

So yeah, I own one and it's one of my favorite gaming consoles!

I still own my DC. Every now and then I pop in Jet Grind Radio, Sonic Adventure 1/2, House of the Dead 2, or Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

And if you get a VGA cable for your Dreamcast, you could be looking at the PC equivalent of 480p; crisp, digital picture without the nasty blurring effect!

PS. If you ever get to sample the musical mind boggling shooting-fest known as Rez, please let me know what it's like...

I'm attempting to buy a Dreamcast, if I ever find one. Mostly to get my hands on some Capcom fighting games, which I'm in the mood for, and would rather have them on a console that didn't belong to my stingy little brother. And play whatever good game on it like Sonic Adventure, House of the Dead, Jet Set Radio and whatever I get my hands on.

I never had a DC because the only console I had at the time when DC was all the rage was PS1. But now I have nullDC, the best DC emulator on PC, and I'm trying to get my hands on a lot of the games I missed out on. I already have SA1, SA2, and Skies of Arcadia on GC, so for DC games here's what I have ATM:

Shenmue (one of the best games ever made)

Jet Grind Radio (Sega Superstar Tennis helped get me interested in trying the JSR games)

Chu Chu Rocket

Space Channel 5

Power Stone (epic fighting game, I also have it on my PSP)

Soul Caliber

Crazy Taxi (also have this on PSP)

I really want to try Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear X soon.

I never had a DC because the only console I had at the time when DC was all the rage was PS1. But now I have nullDC, the best DC emulator on PC, and I'm trying to get my hands on a lot of the games I missed out on. I already have SA1, SA2, and Skies of Arcadia on GC, so for DC games here's what I have ATM:

Shenmue (one of the best games ever made)

Jet Grind Radio (Sega Superstar Tennis helped get me interested in trying the JSR games)

Chu Chu Rocket

Space Channel 5

Power Stone (epic fighting game, I also have it on my PSP)

Soul Caliber

Crazy Taxi (also have this on PSP)

I really want to try Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and Guilty Gear X soon.

Thanks for reminding me. Power Stone 1 and 2 I need to get for DC.

You know, if you had some way of playing NTSC I would send you my extra one. EVERYONE should have played a Dreamcast.

Myself personally I have two sitting on my book shelf and I play it from time to time. One of my all time favorite consoles, own more games for it than the 360 and just a few disks shy of the N64 XD.

Otacon, You would have better luck finding MVC2 for xbox. Well then again I dont know how good DC emulators are.