Awoo.

Dreamcast Discussion

Zanoh

Dreamcast is amazing. I got mine in 1999 and still play it to this day. IMO, it was the last great console.

I got one back in the early 2000's, I remember I never got too many games for it but what I did get I had loads of fun with; and how I was almost done with it until I spotted Sonic Adventure 2 for the console at a car boot sale - and for some reason I was under the impression that it was only released on the Gamecube, so that was pretty awesome, and combined with some other purchases this stretched it's longevity for about another 2 years.

It was a great console and for some time was a real mammoth compared to what other people were playing, I think I might use my free day tomorrow to dust it off and give it a spin for old's times sake - even though that will take intense hunting I'm sure. :P

Otacon, You would have better luck finding MVC2 for xbox. Well then again I dont know how good DC emulators are.

It was on Xbox? I thought it was only on DC and PS2. But I don't buy DC games, I download them so I won't have much problem.

Never owned one. I tried it before when I was at my friends house. Even though he lacks many AAA titles, it was pretty cool.

I do plan on buying one sometime in the future. There are many games I'd love to try out.

10 years, no kiddin'?! Time has really gone by. It was released on 9.9.99, right? I've wanted to get a Dreamcast for a long friggin' time. I remember reading about Sega discontinuing it and ceased production. Right when I wanted to get it, they stopped producing. I just got into the PSX and N64 around that time. I was into that. I could have gotten a Dreamcast instead of an N64 and/or PSX. I'm gonna buy one whenever I could get some more money. I have no idea why I missed out on the Dreamcast. So many good games and such. Plus you could do even more than just play games. I've read good stuff about it. I"m gonna get it whenever I can get around it

I never really mentioned that I owned a Dreamcast in the topic, even though I voted in the poll. I still love the crap out of the thing, and I pull it out to play Jet Grind Radio, Power Stone, and the like from time to time still.

These games are on my wish list:

-Chu-Chu Rocket

-Bust-a-Move 4

-Sonic Shuffle

-Samba de Amiga

-Shenmue 1

-Shenmue 2

-Jet Set Radio

-Rayman 2

-SA1

-SA2

I've still got 2 dreamcasts... No way I was gonna risk my first packing up and not having a spare as 'Shenmue' is still my favourite game, also liked the 'Powerstone' games, 'Sonic Adventure 1+2', 'Crazy taxis', '4 Wheel Thunder', 'Speed Devils', and a number of others... I'm mostly annoyed at the fact I never got Jet Grind Radio... I had it on a disk for awhile but something happened to it... Can't rememeber what and I just never got another copy =(

I still have my Dreamcast, I remember when I first got one, I was literally addicted to playing it. It had a lot of good games for it. My first Dreamcast didn't last long unfortunately, due to faulty power supply. After a few years, I decided to get another Dreamcast, so I could play all those classic titles again. I would usually plays these games...

MSR: Metropolis Street Racer

Sonic Adventure

Virtua Fighter 3TB

Dead Or Alive 2

Soul Calibur

Trickstyle

And probably many others, which I don't remember at the moment. If memory serves me right, There were 3 Playstation game ports that were made for the Dreamcast, Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3, and another game which I don't remember. It was along the lines of "Bleemcast", I think. If they still sell around Ebay, I may get me a copy of one of them.

It was along the lines of "Bleemcast", I think. If they still sell around Ebay, I may get me a copy of one of them.

Bleemcast is a PSX emulator for DC and converts the PSX graphics into DC graphics, if you bought the Bleemcast disc they would give you the option of having a Bleemed version of MGS or Crash Bandicoot to come with it. Trust me, MGS and Crash 1 look beautiful in DC graphics.

Huh, I didn't even know the Dreamcast existed until I searched about it in 2004, when I was getting into the Sonic mood again. I guess it was overshadowed by the PS2 and N64. 'Cos I seriously didn't see anything of it, anywhere. >.> Then again, I was quite young..

Huh, I didn't even know the Dreamcast existed until I searched about it in 2004, when I was getting into the Sonic mood again. I guess it was overshadowed by the PS2 and N64. 'Cos I seriously didn't see anything of it, anywhere. >.> Then again, I was quite young..

If it piques your interest, they sell for 30 bucks used :)

Same with me, but more with what games it had and that it stopped, since I knew about it since Sonic Adventure came out (And never knew much of SA2, other than it had a Evil Sonic doppleganger and a bat lady). And that was probably why it stopped production, no matter how good it was.

That, and I believe it might be because of the game library of say the PS2 for example being more appealing for the target audience, as to why the Dreamcast didn't do so well. But I could be wrong.

MSR: Metropolis Street Racer

Sonic Adventure

Virtua Fighter 3TB

Dead Or Alive 2

Soul Calibur

Trickstyle

OMG I can’t believe I forgot about Trickstyle.

I picked it up at the store and was like meh, this could be fun, only to have my world rocked when I got home. To this day I consider that one of the best multiplayer experiences I ever gotten my mits onto.

I could (and did) kill days just parked in front of the white box watching Shin obliterate the competition.

That, and I believe it might be because of the game library of say the PS2 for example being more appealing for the target audience, as to why the Dreamcast didn't do so well. But I could be wrong.

The Dreamcast didn't sell well because it didn't have a DVD player. Pretty much the main reason.

Man, the Dreamcast was and is a great console. Aside from the two Adventure games, I played a lot of Phantasy Star Online. And I mean, like over 300 hours worth using a 56k connection. Christ, I remember pissing off my girlfriend because I was always online and cell phones were still too expensive for a 15 year old to own one. :lol:

I also spent a lot of time playing Soul Calibur, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Marvel VS Capcom 2 and Jet Grind Radio. And man, all those hours spent in the official SEGA IRC network. I've got some amazing memories I'll cherish forever.

Still have mine hooked up and play it now and then. But sadly I dont get many people coming over now a days to get some matches of power stone in. :( I probably need to get some new controllers or at least some converters to use other controllers with the system. Right now my controllers are just not working well.

Edited by Giza

• 5 months later...

Many of you will remember Sega's little grey wonder as the ultimate games machine; with superb graphical capability, an exquisite controller and a selection of games that would make even the most ardent Playstation fan cream in his/ her pants, Sega's last work of genius blew the socks off 10.6 million players across the globe... But what do we think of it today?

With a huge cult fanbase, and a rapidly growing homebrew community, the Dreamcast is remembered as one of the greatest consoles of all time; this is an achievement that not many console manufacturers can lay claim to, and is a hugely difficult feat to accomplish - even for Sega!

So, do you agree? Was the Dreamcast an overrated flop, or a total piece of genius? And how did it compare to Sony's rival offering, the *hocks and spits* PlayStation 2? Do tell!

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think the Dreamcast is overrated, but that's mainly because it's really not that popular outside of Sega's fanbase anyway.

I will say that the DC was far too short lived, and I would agree that it was ahead of its time. It's a shame online gaming didn't catch on quicker, it could have meant the difference of a fear years, and now everyone loves it. I guess someone had to introduce it to home consoles huh? ;)

However at the end of the day, it's just another console to me. It had some great games, just as any console has.

Whether I thought the console was fantastic or not though, every console's 10th is a special occasion! Happy 10th DC :)

I still have my Dreamcast and really ought to try and get one of those scart connectors so that I don't have to play all my games in fuzzy aerial cord vision. Even so I've had some great times with my DC and I have really enjoyed many games on the system including some like Jet Set Radio which I unfortunately never got round to owning except for a demo.

I get into arguments daily about why the Dreamcast is awesome.

To me, it was the pinnacle of gaming. For such a short lifespan, it had an amazing collection of creative and brilliant games. No console ever had that many quality games within such a short span of time, especially at launch! It was way ahead of its time.

I still hope that one day, Sega will make a Dreamcast 2 >_>

Although I hope to be working for them when that happens <_<

Edited by CapnCloudchaser

I bought one long after SEGA died, and didn't really give too much of a fuss. I guess you had to be there at the time.

Frankly, I think the mere four posts here within 24 hours of it's birthday is fairly representative of just how great it was. It'll always be a cult thing.

• Bad Quality Post 1