Awoo.

What do you think of Sonic's friends..?

BlueBlur2002

Sonic has lots and lots and... lots of friends. And lots of them are very unpopular, unnecessary and could easily be removed.

For the upcoming 25th anniversary game(s) , do you think Sonic's friends should make an appearance, it should be just Sonic and Tails (like in the recent Colors) or just Sonic completely alone?

I would personally love just the Sonic/Tails duo!

5 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

Are we seriously having THIS stupid discussion AGAIN?

Look, regardless of how unpopular they are in the media, the reality of the matter is that the characters do have fans, and acting as if they should just be removed and that only people who like Sonic, Tails and Eggman and the Classic cast deserve anything is going to piss people off. Additionally, the primary problem with them isn't that they are bad characters, but rather that they are underdeveloped, something that could be fixed if SEGA/Sonic Team ever bothered to put in the effort.

Plus, you and your ilk have gotten NOTHING but Sonic, Tails, and Eggman with occasional cameos from your precious "Classic Era cast only" for nearly a decade, yet it frankly hasn't improved the narrative or fixed the numerous gameplay issues this series has suffered due to inconsistent and poorly thought out concepts. Why do you and everyone like you insist that getting rid of the other characters would somehow fix things when it's only a symptom of a bigger problem throughout SEGA and Sonic Team? Additionally, Archie Sonic is able to handle many characters just fine (for the most part), so this comes off like Classic fan pandering.

TL;DR: You've gotten your Sonic/Tails/Eggman trio for too long. Let the others have a chance dammit.

I think that the tons of characters are actually great in Archie's comics (pre Penders case of course) I just think that in the games the gameplay is much better when you just play as Sonic and Tails appears in cutscenes, instead of playing as Tails in a mech / treasure hunting as Knux etc. If the characters were more developed and we got a great story featuring the likes of Knuckles, Shadow, Amy, Blaze, Silver and the others I'm sure the game would be great. I just don't want any of 'em playable!

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, BlueBlur2002 said:

I think that the tons of characters are actually great in Archie's comics (pre Penders case of course) I just think that in the games the gameplay is much better when you just play as Sonic and Tails appears in cutscenes, instead of playing as Tails in a mech / treasure hunting as Knux etc

Which again is an issue of GAMEPLAY, not of the character themselves.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

Which again is an issue of GAMEPLAY, not of the character themselves.

I edited my response.

42 minutes ago, BlueBlur2002 said:

Sonic has lots and lots and... lots of friends. And lots of them are very unpopular, unnecessary and could easily be removed.

For the upcoming 25th anniversary game(s) , do you think Sonic's friends should make an appearance, it should be just Sonic and Tails (like in the recent Colors) or just Sonic completely alone?

I would personally love just the Sonic/Tails duo!

First I'll start off by saying I don't agree with your opinion at all.

And many of the other characters are actually popular among Sonic fans at least. Also what is needed or unnecessary is very subjective. I would say the other characters are necessary, just as long they don't try to use everybody in every title.

Also we've been getting pretty much only Sonic, Tails and Eggman as important characters in the main game titles for ages now... And it sucks to be honest. Personally I don't want to play as only Sonic. :/

Just now, Indigo Rush said:

>Sonic's got too many friends, and they need to be removed

What year is it? Seriously? 

Apparently 2006 in some fan circles.

• Thumbs Up 8

I just can't believe this is still a talking point. From certain gaming critic websites, I'd expect this, but we've been through this discussion here so many times I don't have enough hairs on my head to count them with. It's nuts.

• Thumbs Up 9

"Sonic has lots and lots of friends"

...so? What's wrong with having a lot of friends? That shows he's popular and his friends like hanging around with him. But funny enough, we don't see them as much! For example, when did we last saw Silver, Blaze, Chaotix, Cream, Rouge, E-123 Omega (and one-time characters such as Chip and Marine) get involved in an actual plot? (Generations doesn't really count as some of these characters only had 2 lines). We can only go back to the spin-off that is Free Riders or Sonic 2006.

I seriously don't know why this is brought up. We hardly seen most of these friends for games now.

• Thumbs Up 9

9 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

Are we seriously having THIS stupid discussion AGAIN?

Look, regardless of how unpopular they are in the media, the reality of the matter is that the characters do have fans, and acting as if they should just be removed and that only people who like Sonic, Tails and Eggman and the Classic cast deserve anything is going to piss people off. Additionally, the primary problem with them isn't that they are bad characters, but rather that they are underdeveloped, something that could be fixed if SEGA/Sonic Team ever bothered to put in the effort.

Plus, you and your ilk have gotten NOTHING but Sonic, Tails, and Eggman with occasional cameos from your precious "Classic Era cast only" for nearly a decade, yet it frankly hasn't improved the narrative or fixed the numerous gameplay issues this series has suffered due to inconsistent and poorly thought out concepts. Why do you and everyone like you insist that getting rid of the other characters would somehow fix things when it's only a symptom of a bigger problem throughout SEGA and Sonic Team? Additionally, Archie Sonic is able to handle many characters just fine (for the most part), so this comes off like Classic fan pandering.

TL;DR: Getting rid of the other characters besides the Classic cast won't fix anything except to pander to the elitists and bandwagoners of the franchise, and you've gotten your Sonic/Tails/Eggman trio for far too damn long. Let the others have a chance dammit.

..... and this type of comment is why I was like "oh boy" at this thread. Seriously man, you don't need to be so some damn condescending. I know people are tired of the whole Sonic/Tails/Eggman trio but let the people have their opinions instead of going all Segata Sanshiro on them and basically saying they are freaks for not having your opinion. Plus this person is a new user and don't know how bitey this place can be on certain subjects.

As for the the topic, I do want to see his friends do more instead of being props or set dressing in terms of story. As for them being playable, I want to see a bit more of a balance before that happens. I rather they juggle 1 chainsaw instead of 5 chainsaws. 

Just now, SenEDtor Missile said:

Apparently 2006 in some fan circles.

Sometimes I get the feeling half the Sonic gamers out there quit after 2006 and refuse to believe anything happened afterwards. :Y

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

..... and this type of comment is why I was like "oh boy" at this thread. Seriously man, you don't need to be so some damn condescending. I know people are tired of the whole Sonic/Tails/Eggman trio but let the people have their opinions instead of going all Segata Sanshiro on them and basically saying they are freaks for not having your opinion. Plus this person is a new user and don't know how bitey this place can be on certain subjects.

As for the the topic, I do want to see his friends do more instead of being props or set dressing in terms of story. As for them being playable, I want to see a bit more of a balance before that happens. I rather they juggle 1 chainsaw instead of 5 chainsaws. 

Okay, I'll admit I tend to get a bit snippy when this subject comes up, but that's only because it seems to be the first thing that comes out of so many misinformed people's mouths and is treated as gospel by the ignorant masses to the point I just get really sick of hearing it.

It's like being stuck in a room where the only thing you are allowed to hear is that one trashy song that no one likes yet everyone insists is the correct song to listen to until you just want to tear the throats of those people out for subjecting you to that kind of torment.

• Thumbs Up 8

i would like to see them on the next games... its always nice to see how Sonic's friends interact eachother.. its been a time since some of them are not being used.. so the most of Sonic fans really misses them...

and they make important part of Sonic's story as franchise... on the games and on the comics and TV show....

it wouldn't be ok if they don't appear on an anniversary title (even more if its 25th anniversary..this supose to be  a big celebration :lol:  ) .. at least just a part of them...

• Thumbs Up 4

33 minutes ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

Okay, I'll admit I tend to get a bit snippy when this subject comes up, but that's only because it seems to be the first thing that comes out of so many misinformed people's mouths and is treated as gospel by the ignorant masses to the point I just get really sick of hearing it.

It's like being stuck in a room where the only thing you are allowed to hear is that one trashy song that no one likes yet everyone insists is the correct song to listen to until you just want to tear the throats of those people out for subjecting you to that kind of torment.

the thing is that the OP wasn't even saying that they should be removed, they were just giving their preference. I swear if anyone wants Solo-Sonic or wants Sonic or Tails, they easily get jumped on. 

I find it sad that Sonic Team has basically given us this rather sizable cast of rather memorable characters, only to have completely discard them for the past decade.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 minutes ago, Mikyeong said:

the thing is that the OP wasn't even saying that they should be removed, they were just giving their preference.

The first line of their post doesn't really give that impression.

• Thumbs Up 3

22 minutes ago, Vertekins said:

The ultmate irony about the "shitty friends" screamers being pandered to is that Sonic's, Tails' and to an extent Eggman's portrayals nowadays are even shittier than the "shitty friends" ever were in the vast majority of their portrayals.

But NOPE. As long as it's those three and those three alone being the only characters (Alongside Orbot and Cubot) and they were the first Sonic characters made, that's all that matters to these bandwagoners.

The only reason "shitty friends" screamers complained about Lost World is due to Amy, Knuckles, and the Deadly Six, who were again even shittier, to the point some of us say the Six can't be saved. I disagree on that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally, I'm tired of just Sonic/Tails/Eggman in the games. As a fan of Knuckles, Amy, Blaze, Chaotix, etc., it's pretty disappointing that they've been reduced to either just cameos, or not even being in the games these last five years.

I don't have a problem with people who prefer just the original three, but I would love to see some other characters get the spotlight in the games again.

• Thumbs Up 7

I really like Sonic's 'shitty friends'. And I hate to see them disappear forever (Kind of sucks being a fan of a bunch of characters even most parts of the fandom could care less for but someone has to). It's just such a shame the gameplay and the writing really hasn't given a lot of these guys (especially Knuckles and Amy oddly enough) any time to shine or expand. You'd think if you're just going to focus on the classic cast you'd go out of your way to really make them fun to play or have around for the story.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic's friends and other members of the extended cast are pretty okay, but a few of them don't serve any purpose outside of the game or sub-series they were introduced in, many simply haven't appeared for quite a while, and others simply don't do anything interesting.  I'm not sure if I want them to be playable, but I would like their roles and abilities to at the very least have an impact on the narrative, if not to have some effect on playability.  I've said before that the kind of gameplay I'd like to see from the series in future would see Sonic's friends essentially take on the role of the Wisps; you can choose a friend as a sort of second player while in-between levels, and when you take them into levels they add various active and passive powers - flying you out of pits, knocking down walls, and so on.  Voila, Sonic's friends become useful and have a gameplay impact without detracting from time spent playing as Sonic; that's the kind of compromise I personally would like to see.  But I'd also be interested in a classic-style arrangement where each character has, if not their own story, then at least their own interesting way of playing through the levels.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't see why having a sizable cast was a problem in the first place. It's not like it's an uncommon thing, either - plenty of games feature large casts.

• Thumbs Up 9

I'd rather keep the cast size modest until they get a good handle on what they want to do with the series (ideally in all areas; characterization, setting, gameplay, etc). I really don't have any pressing desire to see the third-tier characters come back any time soon; I just want good games with a decent core cast.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I'd rather keep the cast size modest until they get a good handle on what they want to do with the series (ideally in all areas; characterization, setting, gameplay, etc). I really don't have any pressing desire to see the third-tier characters come back any time soon; I just want good games with a decent core cast.

pretty much my thoughts. i want them to focus on the main cast first and then if they want bring in supporting characters