Awoo.

Would you like to see some forgotten SEGA characters return as Sonic characters?

cjmoore25

When I say 'forgotten' I don't mean ones who haven't had their own game in a while who still have an opportunity to hit the spotlight again like Ulala, Beat, NiGHTS, or Amigo (though seeing them in the Sonic world would be pretty sweet), I mean 100% dead franchise SEGA icons with about as much chance to make a solo comeback as Kurt Cobain does.

You of course have the obvious choices in Alex Kidd, Opa Opa, Vectorman and Ristar, but I'd like to also bring to the table some of the more obscure ones like Astal, Bug!, and... Seaman? I dunno......

What I think would be neat would be to take these characters, "Sonic-ize" their designs, throw them in with the rest of the gang (with most of their backstories being as strange as they are I'm sure they'd fit right in), and should the time ever come for ST to put together a Sonic Heroes reunion game but with a few extra roster spaces, they'll have a chance to be part of a platform game again.

For me personally, there are really only two characters I can think of who I REALLY would like to see in. The first being Professor Asobin, who could definitely pull of the 'wise-but-loopy-old-man archetype' and could maybe serve as a mentor of sorts for some of the other characters as well as, true to his history, provide the player hints on playing the game (who'd need Omochao anymore?). If that did happen, all I'll ask is that they PLEASE get the guy who played the grim reaper in Soul Eater to voice him, he would be perfect.

The second is one that would be my absolute first choice if they ever went down this road, Ecco the Dolphin. His name, his backstory, his powers (psychic rival for Silver?), he's practically already a (good) Sonic fan character! It would be amazing seeing as there aren't any aquatic animals in the main cast, so we could probably get some interesting underwater levels from him (like from his games, but easier), he could tie in amusingly to Sonic's phobia, and, well, dolphins are just awesome.

But yeah, those would be my picks. If Sonic Team decided to do this, who would you want to see and how do you think they'd fit in?

I'd rather not see other SEGA characters Sonicised and put into his world when Sonic's games all ready has a huge cast of misfits that are underutilised in the first place. I'd much rather see SEGA expand their library and give the franchises they have been neglecting another chance with proper installments etc. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Eeugh. No thanks.

I'd rather characters like Ristar or Vectorman stay dead with some small sense of nostalgic dignity tied to their names then have them re-purposed into scrappy side characters who would only be kept around after their re-introduction to fill up playable rosters used for spin off titles and mobile games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah not keen on this.  By all means, continue the cameos to keep them fresh in people's minds, but use those appearances as potential springboards to create new titles in their franchises.  I'm especially not a fan of "Sonic-ising" their designs.  At the very most, I'd rather just see characters that reference other ones as a joke.  Like a news reporter who looks similar to Ulala with a similar name, but definitely isn't her.  Just parodies a property that SEGA have control over.

• Thumbs Up 3

Billy Hatcher the Egg...lawl...

I just don't see how Sonic-izing these SEGA stars would make them comeback to life. It's still Ulala, Billy, Alex... At best, they'll be in the spotlight for one Sonic game and that's it.

And adding them to the Sonic cast is beyond ridiculous. I know Sonic can have a lot of friends, but adding all of his current friends to a plot is extremely hard enough, and now you're asking Sega to add like 7 more to the cast?

It's a waste of time this. Ulala, Alex, Ecco etc will not take over Tails', Knuckles', Amy's and Eggman's respectable places and if we DO have a Sonic Heroes 2, we have far more than enough Sonic characters outside Team Sonic, Rose, Chaotix and Dark to add extra teams.

• Thumbs Up 1

Don't think that's going to happen. It's not going to make sense when SEGA characters ported over to the Sonic universe. I mean excluding the Sonic & All Stars series but don't think we'll be able to see SEGA characters in a Sonic game. I would love to see some of the 'Sonic' comic characters appear in a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd be a neat idea. It would not be great to do so in the series' current state with how it doesn't really use the characters it already has. Not a great plan.

Seeing Sonic Team use characters from dead series over characters that are supposedly "fan-favorites" would end up just making those "fans" that exist...mad, maybe?

Urgh, hell no. SEGA's legacy is utterly brilliant, if Space Harrier were to come back I wouldn't want him in bloody Sonic of all things. 

I guess I wouldn't be opposed to having them as secret characters like in the first two Riders games, or having costumes based on them as unlockable skins (because let's face it, playing as Espio dressed up as Joe Musashi would be pretty awesome) but not if that's being used as an excuse to not make games for those characters, I still want my Skies of Arcadia 2 damnit.

Of course this entire hypothetical scenario is contingent upon us having characters other than Sonic. So y'know let's worry about whether we'll ever get Shadow in a Sonic game before we worry about whether we'll get Beat.

• Thumbs Up 3

No way? No way! I'd much rather they were kept in the All Stars games save for the occasional Easter Egg or something.

They're built for a completely different audience and fanbase than Sonic is. Not to mention the less-than-favourable impression a lot of people currently have about Sonic games, which definitely wouldn't be helped by having these characters people haven't seen in over 15 years finally show up again only to be used for something almost completely unrelated, remember the reaction Conker fans had to Project Spark?

Besides, Sonic-ifying the designs in my mind sounds almost as bad as the creepy ponified ones you find scattered across the net. Maybe it could be something Webber could pull off for a twitter laugh, but I don't think I'd be able to take Alex Kidd seriously with those giant Sonic eyes in a proper game situation.

Apparently reading the OP must be harder than I thought for some considering I clearly said characters who have NO chance to ever get their own game again.

I had an idea for a Sonic reboot where dozens of other SEGA I.P. took place in the same universe as Sonic, and were often retooled to fit SATAM's feel more. For example, Espio and Joe Musashi used to train together.

But on the other hand, this doesn't seem very feasible. Unless you just based the characters on other SEGA characters (like Bean, Honey, etc) or used SUPER-forgotten (often crap) characters for this (Crystal the Pony, anyone?) On the other hand, Alex Kidd needs to come back as a sponge for all the utterly stupid ideas SEGA puts in Sonic now. Lost World should have been Alex Kidd or maybe NiGHTS. Heck, put Alex Kidd in the Fantasy Zone with Opa-Opa and Space Harrier so we can see them return.

I wish SEGA/Sonic Team would bring back Mighty and Fang in terms of dead Sonic characters. But they can dump Bean though. Was the bane of my Sonic the Fighters experience and that was ALREADY sub-par.

The Sonic series has enough trouble defining itself and making proper use of its own characters without having to worry about incorporating characters from entirely different series. It's not in a healthy enough state to risk muddling things further like this. I'm also not really interested in most non-Sonic Sega characters, so seeing them return in any form doesn't have a whole lot of appeal to me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Gotta say no on this concept. Now new games from the likes of Alex Kidd, NiGHTS (yes I know we got a Wii game but I heard it wasn't very good) and especially a new Ristar would be FANTASTIC.If they were to be in Sonic games I think keeping them as cameos is just fine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, cjmoore25 said:

Apparently reading the OP must be harder than I thought for some considering I clearly said characters who have NO chance to ever get their own game again.

This point is understood, mang. Unfortunately, Fortunately...even with that being the case, no one actually wants to see this happen, I do though. It doesn't matter who the character or how dead they are. No need to assume people can't read, thas just unnecessary.

• Thumbs Up 1

I could see NiGHTS working, what with him literally being "Sonic flying" as his creators put it, not to mention all the cameos and appearances he's had in the Sonic series; makes him practically a Sonic character already in many's eyes. And the worlds of NiGHTS and Sonic are both trippy and cartoony enough with similar enough styles to mix match.

Not quite too keen on the thought for all the other SEGA characters though. They don't seem to have quite as much a sense of qualification.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think it'd be really interesting and cool to see a game where Sonic and pals travel through different dimensions to solve one of their recent conflicts with the dimensions they visited being that of the worlds from other SEGA franchises. Then Sonic could run through a Samba De Amigo level with Samba De Janeiro in the background. Or Tails could fly through Tokyo-To with Funky Dealer playing behind him.

• Thumbs Up 2

Naw, I think they should stay forgotten as in my opinion, some of these characters are rather overhyped. Plus, ST doesn't do shit with the characters they do have. 

41 minutes ago, Tailikku said:

untitle.JPG

This is exactly how I feel about image-only posts. Don't don't do them. It's spam.

• Thumbs Up 1

As actual Sonic characters? Absolutely not. But some friendly nods in stages never hurt - the NiGHTS pinball table in SA1 was pretty neat, for example, and both variations of Sega Carnival in Sonic Riders were goddamned amazing, so a bonus stage or two in that vein would be neat as nostaliga pandering and brand awareness tools without muddling up the identity of any involved.

...I kinda wanna see Space Harrier as a boost level now.

9 hours ago, cjmoore25 said:

characters who have NO chance to ever get their own game again.

Not with that attitude.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Not with that attitude.

Sorr-y, forgive me for thinking that them pulling a Kid Icarus with Fantasy Zone is more than a little far-fetched.

Anywho, I like the ideas for crossovers some of you guys have. If nothing else, 'Sonic and SEGA All-Stars Adventure' wouldn't be a bad way to bring Alex and Ristar to 3D.

Also, new thought: What if other SEGA characters became characters in the comic? I know the recent crossover kinda establishes that they don't all exist in the same world, but on the other hand if anyone could pull it off it'd be Ian Friggin' Flynn with his magic touch and not to mention Honey the Cat exists, soooooo............

I dunno, just a concept.