Awoo.

Fictional characters you hate/dislike?

Big Panda

Characters from any works of fiction are fine.

I'll kick things off with:

Glenn Quagmire from Family Guy

Obnoxious sleazebag, a hypocrit, and an asshole to his abuse victim sister (though that may be more down to how the writers of that particular episode wrote him).

• Thumbs Up 2

To keep things Sonic related and say Knuckles the Echidna. My reasons are really arbitrary and stupid but it's enough to make him my least favorite Sonic character:

• I got stuck trying to find the 2 statues to open a level for him in SA1. I was young at the time and it was the most frustrated I had been at a game at the time and the experience never really left me.
  • hate his levels in SA2 (this also applies to Rouge whom I also dislike but not as much as Knuckles)
  • I have been drawing Sonic for literally 10 years and he is the only main character who I still cannot draw right. (This one is super selfish but idc)

I also really don't like Godot from Ace Attorney 3 because I think he is dull compared to the two prosecutors who came before him.

This two-coin bimbo:

Peach - Mario Party 10.png

She's proven time and time again to be perfectly capable of defending herself, yet she puts no effort into fighting off Bowser or whoever's turn it is to kidnap her this week.

And after Mario goes through eight-or-so worlds to save her, going out of his way to track down every last Star, fighting hundreds of monsters, and dying countless times, how does she reward him? A kiss and occasionally a cake.

If I were Mario, I'd leave her to rot and hook back up with Pauline.

33 minutes ago, Detective Panda said:

Obnoxious sleazebag, a hypocrit, and an asshole to his abuse victim sister (though that may be more down to how the writers of that particular episode wrote him).

I'd go a step above this and say Peter Griffin. The way he sometimes treats Meg, his very own daughter, is just dis-tasteful ( though there were times where I would laugh at the things he would do to her)

Then again. the whole shows treatment of Meg is just bad.

1 minute ago, Forte-Metallix said:

This two-coin bimbo:

Peach - Mario Party 10.png

She's proven time and time again to be perfectly capable of defending herself, yet she puts no effort into fighting off Bowser or whoever's turn it is to kidnap her this week.

And after Mario goes through eight-or-so worlds to save her, going out of his way to track down every last Star, fighting hundreds of monsters, and dying countless times, how does she reward him? A kiss and occasionally a cake.

If I were Mario, I'd leave her to rot and hook back up with Pauline.

Without spoiling things to much, I was shocked to see that in M & L Paper Jam, Peach herself states she enjoys riding the Koopa  Clown Car when she is kidnapped. If I was Mario and heard this then I would just leave her at Bowser's Castle.

Donquixote Doflamingo. One Piece.

Greatly written but an utterly loathesome character through and through and hands down my most hated anime/manga character ever.

Let’s take a look at his antics shall we?

- Very powerful figure in the Underworld. Backed a slave auction house on Saobaody Archipelago that caters to the even more fucked-up Tenryuubito. Brokers in WMD’s and artificial Devil Fruits. Uses slave labor to cultivate said fruits.

- Is a former Tenryuubito and threw a little hissyfit when his father surrendered their extravagant lifestyle to live as commoners. Murdered said father and carried his head back to Mariejois in an attempt to be accepted again amongst them. Was declined and continued to throw a little hissyfit.

- Claims that his crew members are “family” but uses them and considers them expendable for his objectives. Is exploitative in that he pays close attention to the circumstances of crew member’s backgrounds (Such as Sugar’s, Monet’s and Baby 5′s) in order to get them on his side and utilize their loyalty to him for his own ends.

- Ruined Dressrosa. Destroyed King Riku Dold’s reputation amongst his people by demanding he garner a ransom from them then using his Ito Ito no Mi (String-String fruit) to force him to slaughter his people against his will.

- Used Sugar’s Hobi Hobi no Mi (Hobby-Hobby fruit) to transform many Dressrosa citizens into toys, resulting in them losing their identity and knowledge of them amongst their friends and families.

- Murdered his own brother when it was revealed that he was working against him (Corazon believed that he was born evil), garnering him Trafalgar Law’s utter hatred.

- Decided to use his Ito Ito no Mi powers to cause mass slaughter within Dressrosa via the birdcage when Law succeeded in blackmailing him and the Straw Hats put his crew members out of commission.

- Demanded that Law perform the perrenial youth operation from his Ope Ope no Mi to give him immortality at the cost of his own life.

- Peformed a number of other atrocities.

He’s a bastard through and through and I consider him vile and disgusting but an incredibly well written character. You can’t imagine how much I cheered when the scene in the manga in which Law destroys his internal organs was translated to screen

Yay! You GO Law!

Scourge the Hedgehog. Archie Sonic.

Oh I fucking HATE you. I hate you, I hate you. 

With the burning fire of a thousand suns.

The only Sonic character I loathe more than him is Chris Thorndike. And even then,there are some aspects of Scourge that I detest more.

So...Scourge. There is nothing, absolutely nothing I can come out with that is even remotely positive about this extremely overrated, recolor Gary Stu. Because he is terrible on every. Single. Tangent.

One of the biggest problems with Scourge is that not only is he a terrible character in terms of design and utilization but his concept is not even remotely clever whether he’s a parody of recolours or otherwise. If he is the former then that's not clever. that's not even remotely original. That’s just plain fucking sad. Are you fucking telling me that the best you Archie writers could do with developing an already immensely irritating character....is reverse his color scheme, give him a leather jacket, have him get a cheap elevation to power via Master Emerald usage and give him some fruity bullshit backstory and you think he's a fit for purpose character? Oh Jesus... It's no wonder pre-reboot was so consistently atrocious - These were the brains behind it.

If you’re going to introduce a character whose schtick is being Sonic….BUT EVIL(!!!) then you have to do it right or it falls apart at the seams completely. Scourge has never been done right in my opinion. The premise that he’s Sonic if Sonic let loose with his powers and discarded his moral values is horribly handled and not at all made compelling and interesting. My friend Jazz Jackalope on Tumblr gives a very intelligent lowdown on why he sucks so hard specifically as an anti-Sonic.

In addition, I’ll cite Dr Crusher. Who also summed-up very well why Scourge sucks so much balls

“Right, well let’s get the obvious point out of the way… he’s a recolour.

Wait. Stop. Let me finish.

Now, I know very well that Scourge was originally, literally, Evil Sonic. I know that back then he really was just Sonic’s own form but with a jacket and sunglasses. Now personally, I still didn’t care much for him back then, and in terms of Sonic doppelgangers and I’d rather just have Metal or Mecha Sonic instead, but at least there it was understandable and not too confusing for anyone not familiar with the comics.

But then, the Master Emerald got him. Or to be more accurate and more to-the-point, he turned green. And that’s no good.

You see, it doesn’t matter what the context is now, because the context is secondary to the character’s inception, and the many that don’t know the comics that well won’t know or care about it. It’s the same thing I said about Mephiles; when you have a rubbish design like that running around, you’re essentially telling people it’s okay to make unoriginal fancharacters. And for the few people out there who try their hardest to make interesting, good, creative fancharacters, it must frustrate them when they see characters like Scourge. You could argue all you want about “Oh, but Scourge was an alternate Sonic! So it’s justified!”, but it’s exactly the same argument as “Oh, but Mephiles had to copy Shadow’s shadow! So it’s justified!” That is to say, if those are “justified” by the story, then it means the story itself is shit to begin with, and you could have easily made another story that didn’t involve those points and their half-hearted “justifications”. Official or not, there’s no excuse.

Right, second of all, this one boils down to personal tastes admittedly; call me a weirdo, but alternate universes and their Evil Good Guys and Good Evil Guys have never been something I cared for. (Yes, even in JLA.) It’s simply one of the cliches that I’ve almost never been fond of, so understandably I was never going to care at all for Scourge and the rest of his Anti-gang anyway. When it comes to stock cliches for evil clones, I prefer the traditional robot/cyborg since it keeps things simple and there’s always the enemy having the mechanical strength/artificial intelligence advantage. Well, that and if they look like Metal, they can still easily have a unique design rather than being the good guy but with different colours.

Thirdly, he’s trying too hard. They try with all their might to make him look dark and edgy and badass and the coolest and no-one-compares-to-me, when in reality he’s nothing more than a glorified spoiled brat, and not even in a “Ah, clever, because he’s the Anti-Sonic” way or even in a typical villain way, but in a “No seriously, get the fuck out of here” way. So you killed your dad because he never loved you. Congratulations, you’ve lost any respect I might have had for you. And he has a tendency to unfairly one-up most if not all characters in his arcs. Almost like a fancharacter.

Finally, I’m not one of those hipster types that dislike anything popular - that’s just silly and also contradictory - and I’m also not one whose choices rely solely on how rabid their fanbases are. But like similar character fanbases such as Shadow and Mephiles, Scourge’s fanbase is rather… protective. Like a lot of villains and their fans, his fans tend to sympathise with him, but he’s one of those villains in which they take it way too far, to the point they they forget he’s committed many crimes and he’s the villain of the deal and not the hero for a reason. And of course, some even have the nerve to put him before Eggman in terms of importance rosters. Can you believe that?

So there you have it. That’s why (among other reasons) I’m not a massive fan of Scourge the Hedgehog. I may not keep up-to-date too much with the comics, but I know a fair bit, and nothing I’ve seen of him has convinced me that he isn’t a waste of space.

…Oh, and his super form. The colours I understand perfectly (even if he still looks like a monument made of chocolate logs and I think the black and red eyes are over-the-top), but why the tiara. It doesn’t make you look cool, or show how twisted and deranged and cr-aaaaaa-zy you are, it’s on par with Young Ivo Cosplaying ‘06 Robotniks golden nipples in terms of things that cease to let you be taken seriously.

And in case you couldn’t tell by my second point, that means I don’t care for the other Anti characters either. Anti-Tails/Miles and his ridiculous appearance to Anti-Amy/Rosy and her “ironic” Classic Amy appearance… bah, go away already.”

He got chucked into the trash can of Sonic history due to Penders throwing his weight around? Hallelujah! Good riddance.

Brian Griffin. Family Guy.

Take Seth Macfarlane's obnoxious predilection for using characters and by extension entire shows as his mouthpieces, add some of the worst aspects of Liberals, insert them into a stuck-up, self-righteous hypocrite who acts as if his shit doesn't stink and you get Brian Griffin in a nutshell.

This is a guy who...

- Decries such things as poverty and how capitalism is depriving people yet doesn't get off his ass and actually do anything effective about it.

- Acts like he's hot shit and that he's entitled to approval from others yet does next to nothing to actually earn it.

- Acts like he's 'progressive' yet exhibits transphobic attitudes.

- Acts as if he's superior to religious people and lambasts them as unintelligent and gullible yet has failed college twice and gets torn apart on Real Time with Bill Maher.

Truly a loathesome character. I rejoiced when he was killed off. And seriously disappointed when it wasn't permanent.

• Thumbs Up 3

Peach (both versions) in Paper Jam was pretty bad, a far cry from her neat portrayals in the Paper Mario and Mario and Luigi series prior (or even her SMRPG portrayal).

I don't think Peach owes Mario jack all, but we know she's capable of more than she shows in pretty much every mainstream Mario game ever, and yet she does nothing and has annoying mannerisms to go with it. At least SM3DW was fairly recent, I suppose. 

Aiden Pearce is, quite literally, the most despicable character I've played as in a game. Every single problem that falls upon him or his associates can be traced back to his own actions. While some may argue that this makes him a flawed character (flawed in the sense that he has some kind of intrinsic struggle unique to his character that he's grappling with), the game never treats it as such. In fact, he has confidence in almost everything that he embarks on, and the game never once attempts to make him reconcile with his flaws, not tempt the audience to relate to him in some way. And the latter is what I feel is the straw that breaks the camel's back: relatability. The best flawed characters allow the audience to relate to them in some fashion. Take Joel from The Last of Us.

Spoiler

He fucks over the entire human race to save Ellie, who means the world to him at that point. He lost his daughter all those years ago, and he can't bear another loss like that again. So he kills Marlene, and runs off with Ellie, the only potential cure to Cordyceps. Some may think him a complete and utter scumbag for doing so, while many echo that they likely would have done the same thing were they placed in his situation. The circumstances here are grounded, relatable, and have heavy personal stakes. That's what allows us to relate to Joel here.

Aiden isn't relatable. That's why he doesn't work.

Lysandre from Pokemon X and Y can kiss my ass so I can eventually kick his.

Remember how Gen 5 had N who, regardless of how I personally feel about him (i.e. meh), had at least a sympathetic beat to his motives even if it was still heavily based off the fact he was sheltered with nothing but Pokemon? Yeah, that was alright.

But for whatever reason, Game Freak decided to try that kind of thing again with Lysandre but seemed to literally forget why it worked for N. Almost every scene with him in it likes to showcase how "passionate" he is regarding how beautiful and pristine the world he thinks should be. Already I'm gagging by the creativity here. If it wasn't the obvious Team Flare-inspired get-up he's wearing, the way he spoke should've already given away his role as the villain.

But then came what really sold it for me. After getting the 5th badge, he gives this spiel about how people who steal are "filth." Now this seems pretty self-explanatory and almost a non-issue, but yunno what he and Team Flare have been doing throughout the whole game? Stealing power from various locations just so they can power an ancient doomsday weapon just to fulfill his ideal world. So it's okay when you take what isn't yours because your reasons for doing so are so sympathetic and well-intentioned? Go fuck right off you hypocritical waste of creativity. I'm honestly fucking surprised how nobody in the game points this out and calls him out on it. I'm the only one who sees this for the hypocrisy that it is. And don't go giving me those crocodile tears over how sad you'll be with killing so many innocent Pokemon. Because killing humans ain't no thing for you, right? Only Pokemon are worth crying over if they get hurt or die, right? Ugh....

Was practically cathartic to not see him ever again after the main story since the game implies he committed suicide upon defeat. I'm not one who revels when people commit suicide, fictional or no, but it was honestly the best way to end such an awfully executed "sympathetic" antagonist since even he knew there was no point to going on after the shit he did and having everything he *worked* for go to shambles.    

One character I hate is Sticks the Badger (from Sonic Boom, obviously). She's basically a paranoid conspiracy theorist combined with lolrandom humor and an obnoxious voice, then she also has a design that's similar to another annoying character (Marine the racoon, who is the worst Australian stereotype I've seen in a video game). Basically anything she says/does is something I don't like about her, and I don't think I'd be able to tolerate her much regardless of how they handled her unless they completely changed her character (which is not something SEGA/Sonic Team seems to do).

I mean, I know a lot of people like her/find her funny, so I'm not saying to remove her, but I'll be glad if she sticks to the Boom sub-series, since I don't care for that series anyways- just almost everything about it is something I'm against (like changing character design for no reason, regardless of what the developers' said, there was no need for a redesign), and the fact that they tried to go with even more out-there designs initially is worrisome, though I'm glad SEGA had enough integrity to put their foot down on that.

• Thumbs Up 2

Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière - The Familiar of Zero

Zero_Louise.jpg\

This little turd right here is the main reason I dropped this garbage show. Lemme explain a lil bit about the show.

So Louise here is supposed to be a mage, yet is completely incompetent at it. because of this, most if not all of the student population constantly makes fun of her, even giving her the nickname "Louise the Zero".

Fast-forwarding a little bit, all the other mages need to have familiars (which are basically slaves in this universe), and so the school brings all of them out to a field to summon them (or something like that, I haven't watched this crap in a while, my memory's a bit fuzzy). So Louise, basically by pure accident, ends up summoning this dude Saito, your blank slate "identifiable" MC for this series, and he becomes her familiar. And it's aaaaaall downhill from there, folks.

So why do I hate Louise so much? Well, because she's pretty much the driving force behind the show's "humor".

Why, what is the show's humor, Dizcrybe?

I'll tell you, imaginary second party. It basically goes like this:

1. Saito says/does something a little bone-headed.
  2. Louise inflicts pain on him in some way or another.

That's it. That's the joke. That's the only joke this show is capable of making, apparently. Sometimes Saito doesn't even do anything, Louise is just angry. They try to use the "students making fun of her thing" as a weak Freudian Excuse, but she's so unsympathetic that it completely falls apart.

This isn't just your average Cosmo and Wanda slapstick, however. No, this is outright domestic abuse. Seriously, nothing Saito ever does (at least as far as I've watched) warrants being kicked/punched the crap out of or whipped. Oh yeah, she has one of those, by the way.

But the absolute final straw, the moment where I decided I was done with this POS for good, was the start of episode 6. See, it's like this: at the end of episode 5, Louise starts to soften up a bit; she isn't angry anymore and she actually seems remorseful, and actually has a tender moment with Saito. For the first time in the show, she appears to be an human being rather than a human-shaped blob or hatred and anger. Now, in a good show, this would be a pivotal moment of character development, where Louise begins to chill a little more as the series progresses, realizing that, "Hey, maybe I don't need to be a demon towards everybody. Maybe I can lighten up a little." Not The Familiar of Zero. No, instead, the show immediately drops all of this at the start of the next episode 6, almost as if the writers went, "Crap, what are we gonna do for jokes now?! All we have is Louise terrorizing Saito!" "Uh, I dunno, just change her back! Hurry, we gotta get this thing to air soon!" I dropped the show right then and there. What an absolute joke.

Now, why do I find this so infuriating? Well, I urge anyone to find this show's style of "comedy" funny to swap the genders of the two leads around in their heads and see how funny it still is. 

If Louise was "Louis" and Saito, "Saiko", or whatever the female equivalent would be, the show would be a Lifetime drama, But as it is, it's a wacky romcom. That's the other big reason why this show (and Louise) pisses me off; because the writers are taking advantage of a blatant double standard to get a few cheap laughs out of the audience. Absolutely reprehensible.

See, here's the reason slapstick towards a certain character works: the "victim" is actively antagonizing towards whoever's dishing it out, making them less sympathetic and more deserving of it. Take Ikki from Air Gear. The first episode has all the female characters making demands and being dismissive towards him, which seems unfair at first... then he starts trash-talking the girls back and you realize that he's rude, crass, and perverted. Even in the middle of them beating him up, he takes a moment to look up one of the girls' skirt. This is an example of well done slapstick in anime; because of how dickish the character is, you want him to get smacked up, and you laugh when he does. Saito, in contrast, is just an average teenager; he doesn't really do anything to deserve the sheer punishment he gets, and as a result you just feel sorry for him, and Louise just comes off as a terrible person (which she is, don't get me wrong).

Ahh. Well, hopefully I explained that well enough. This show and others like it can go to hell.

• Thumbs Up 5

I would surprisingly say Clow Reed from Cardcaptor Sakura simply because he practically punished The Nothing for being how he made her.

He makes her to be the single negative card for equally balancing all the 52 positive Clow Cards, but seals her away because she is too dangerous. Couldn't he have just lowered the power of the other 52 to make Nothing weaker?

In the second movie, Nothing went on a rampage because her "father" forced her into an isolation that not even death could save her from. While Clow's reincarnation (Eriol) tried to warn Sakura, he could have tried to make amends for how his former self treated her. No one innocent deserves the horrors of isolation.

If that isn't an artificial variation of child abuse, I don't know what is.

Just looking at her eyes makes me sick with the pain of forced isolation.

At the end of the movie, she was much calmer and happier because Sakura succeeded where Clow failed.

Bottom line: Clow was possibly one of the worst dads in CLAMP's many anime.

I'd also have to say Waltz from Eternal Sonata. He poisons his people by taxing everything except toxic and hurts people for the sake of power and wanting to be remembered.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mors said:

latest?cb=20110628205624

you know why

No, no we don't. care to explain?

( I get what you mean but everyone is saying their thoughts on why. )

Okay then.

I don't like Omochao. His voice is annoying, the sound his propeller makes is annoying, the way he flies is annoying, and I wanna punch his face. He also tells you stuff you already know, or just don't care. And there are tons of him.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic_Boom_Sonic_2.png

I really don't like Boom!Sonic, meaning from the TV show. I mean yeah I know he's supposed to be very confident and I like that about him, however there have been many times where he seems bored and lazy and really doesn't want to be there. I also find him to be so watered down in terms of personality. He does have his good moments but most of the time, he just annoys me.  All he cares about is his so called street cred. -_-

200_s.gif

Sorry men, but I just not a big fan of Snape here. I find him to be rather creepy plus his reasons and some of his backstory doesn't make sense. Also I'm not gonna get much into it because it would take me forever but the character himself has done something fans shouldn't be defending him for. But hey, he's got some funny moments in the movies, especially the 2nd to 3rd movie. Still, not a fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Concerning Family Guy, it's hard for me to give much statement on it right now since I kinda feel like most of the characters are intentionally developed to be as odious as possible. American Dad leans the same way at times. If they're hatable characters, it's likely what the writers wanted, not that it justifies it or makes it an automatically good show however. Generally the only exception tends to be the female counterparts, since the sitcoms still tread lightly with the whole 'wives/daughters being the voice of reason' formula and thus designates them the hero or cuts them slack more often, even then though they're slowly edging out of that too. The only character I feel gets a free pass way too often is usually Hayley, from the start she was nothing but a self righteous little prick with barely any of the humour value or karmic abuse that makes the likes of Brian half tolerable. In the sister show The Cleveland Show I may also say Cleveland Jr, if because they really overdid the whole 'the nice character has an evil side' gag in the end.

I'm really edging towards the hero cast of The Dreamstone. I mean I liked Spildit, and, as I stated in a previous thread, Rufus and Amberley were characters I wanted to love, but kept repelling me. Sometimes it feels like it is the show's intention that the villains be more loveable and the focus of the story, but the difference is that most shows with a villain protagonist format still achieve such by making clear that, despite this unsympathetic development, the heroes still deserve to win more than the bad guy. I don't root for the Road Runner more than Wile E Coyote, but he hardly deserves to be eaten by the bumbling narcissist.

The Urpneys weren't really villains however. They were essentially Team Rocket with none of the stubborn relentlessness or pride in being evil. They were forced into every scheme out of fear and even then they tried vigorously to get out of it. Basically each episode had them try and steal the dream stone so Zordrak could send nightmares to the heroes, and if the Urpneys screwed up, torture or even execution were threatened upon them (and Zordrak HAS killed many Urpneys). This was too bad for them, since not only did the heroes not care the slightest, but they took dreams VERY seriously.

The Dreamstone however does nearly EVERYTHING WRONG writing the heroes:

* They're boring and irritatingly cloying, acting as killjoys to the comedy due to never taking part it in. Most of them barely have consistent personalities.

* The elder ones are absurdly god modded and break the story. They also make the younger main heroes look demeaningly redundant and unremarkable in every single way.

* They're Designated Heroes. They have a lousy provocation compared to the villains and never really elaborate why they deserve to win more outside pontificating over and over how evil the villains are without going into any detail why. This is always supported by the story that never punishes them (par one VERY subdued exception).

* They cross the line from cocky and showy into outright smarmy schoolyard bully in demeanour (basically Jerry and Tweety's worst traits amplified). They love toying with the villains a lot more than vice versa and even essentially mug them as they retreat or beg for mercy. Even worse they copy the bully demeanour right down to being cowardly and incompetent whenever the threat gets too real or even when the pitiful 'un-evil' villains just threaten to fight back. They make more villain 'dick-moves' than the actual villains.

* They rarely earned a victory. Most times they won were because the villains offered zero offence. Whenever they even slightly upped it, they needed dumb luck or a deus ex machina super power to do all the work for them.

* Very little elaboration was put into their side of the story. We didn't even see a dream or a nightmare most of the time so didn't get much why they were so important. And even then it was a bloody dream! It was just the principle I suppose.

As said Spildit was at least tolerable due to being the only one with a Friendly Enemy disposition and often tried to show pity until she was duped or screwed over. Rufus and Amberley were at least sympathetic in the pilot episode and the last few moments of the show at least tried to make them return them to that level, easing their zeal, giving them a better provocation and letting them take part in the humour, even if they were still treading on ice. The rest of it however, just not likeable in the slightest. Unctuous, bland, priggish, spoiled bunch of characters you could tell the writers just couldn't be remotely bothered with. Everything you could hate about a hero character. It's kinda eerie how much a kids cartoon can irk me so much, but I really wanted to love this show, but they were just THAT horribly written.

Ash Ketchum. There could not be a more uninteresting, unlikable lead for a Pokemon TV show. He's constantly making amateur mistakes, and it annoys the hell outta me. 

• Thumbs Up 7

8 minutes ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyajins said:

Ash Ketchum. There could not be a more uninteresting, unlikable lead for a Pokemon TV show. He's constantly making amateur mistakes, and it annoys the hell outta me. 

I heard the original intention was for Ash to be pretty bland compared to his co stars. I do admit, like The Dreamstone, it kinda makes the story less fun. I always get way too much enjoyment when Team Rocket actually put up a fight, especially since a lot of the battles seem so cheap or formulaic (eg. Ash and co dodge or precede every attack and use the same way stronger ones all the time). I think some writers get too much of a kick making the villains the more loveable underdogs. It's fun SOMETIMES, but after a while, especially in an action show, it just makes it dull and frustrating. You want a climax. At least if the villain's a boring douche he'll lose in the end.

• Thumbs Up 2

maxresdefault.jpg

I'm honestly not that big of a fan of Lloyd Garmadon from Ninjago all that much. At least, after the Season 2 episode Child's Play. (I honestly didn't like Season 2 as a whole, but that's a different story.)

latest?cb=20120723052805

When Lloyd was first introduced as the son of the main villain at the time, Lord Garmadon, he was a fun character.

He just wanted to follow in the footsteps of his father, and when he eventually redeemed himself and joined the Ninja's crew, it was still fun as he continued to be a prankster and he put the Ninja in interesting situations. (Like when he deliberately put Kai and Zane's robes in the Washing Machine, causing Zane's robes to be pink for an episode).

e11-3.png

When it was revealed that Lloyd was the Green Ninja, the most powerful Ninja of them all, destined to stop his father, it still was interesting because he still was a kid. It provided a neat contrast and dynamic to his character. Somebody who was super-powerful, but not fully able to control his power because of his age. It made him unique.

Then Child's Play happened.

895AJp57.jpeg

To put things simply, some magic mumbo-jumbo happened and Lloyd became aged up to be the same age as the others. I would be okay with that if it was like Lion-O, where he still felt like a kid in an older body. But sadly, this change led him on a path of blandness and being overpowered.

Lloyd takes the role of the leader, undermining Cole, who was originally the leader. This diminished the role of the Black Ninja. Hell, the show sometimes makes jokes that he's the least important of the crew. (Hopefully Season 7, which seems to have a Cole focus will fix that)

Lloyd also has way too many dragons. The Ultra Dragon, which originally was the four dragons which belonged to Kai, Jay, Cole and Zane now belonged to him. He could also create a Gold Dragon and a Green Dragon out of his own energy. (Not to mention a new Green Dragon according to the Summer 2016 toy lineup) 

Intentional or not, Lloyd's pretty much limiting the other Ninja just to make him more powerful.

latest?cb=20130110003540

For a brief moment in the show, Lloyd became the Gold Ninja. You know, because he wasn't powerful enough.

He's all power and little personality. It doesn't seem as stand-out as much as the personalities of the other five Ninja. (Yes, five. There was another one added in Season 5: Nya)

Luckily, in later seasons the writers try to boot Lloyd off more because he's way too powerful. The Rebooted season removed his Golden Powers, Possession had him under the control of Morro for the majority of the season and in Skybound, his soul was captured.

Talk about falling from grace.

• Thumbs Up 3

I guess I'll talk about a certain spin of a character I dislike 

Sonic in SatAM (series 2 only) 

latest?cb=20131012172707

This is probably my least liked version of Sonic of them all. The reason why I strangely chose Sonic only from series 2 is that I...don't really mind him that much in series 1. Yeah, he can be annoying there, but it was somewhat charming and a bit toned-down in series 1. He wasn't the smartest of all the Freedom Fighters, but he was shown to be resourceful and he did have some tricks up his sleeves. He was actually funny too sometimes, and his dialogue while being somewhat cringey and forceful at times was still decent and it worked well enough off of the other characters. 

...And then the series 2 flanderization hits. 

His intelligence took a huge blow here. While in series 1, he wasn't very book or tech smart, he could at least seem to follow what was happening, and most of all, he wasn't irritating about it. Seriously, the worst of this is "The Void" where Sonic starts shaking NICOLE and shouting "Talk in English!!". He was never this insufferable in series 1. His resourcefulness seemed to drop too. In series 1, in the episode "Sonic Nightmare", we see Sonic fully formulate a plan where he drills underground and starts up an oil derrick to stop Robotnik's ship and then he comes up with the plan to stop the energy barrier in the pod encapsulating Sally and the others by holding a power ring up to it. See, this is Sonic using his brain. It's awesome. We never see anything like this in series 2. Sonic seems to become very reliant on Sally for everything here, not just in combat but in plans. Sally was always the one to come up with the plans and do the major thinking but Sonic was shown to think too in series 1. But nope, Sonic's got to be the generic dumb jock character who never seems to think at all in series 2, while Sally also gets Flanderized from being tactful and smart but bull-headed into a nearly perfect foil for Sonic's complete empty headedness. This is one of the main things that significantly bothers me from series 2. Also, I feel that his dialogue got way more annoying and forced in this series too, obviously a result of his changed persona. Also, I don't know if it's just me but Jaleel's voice seemingly got WAY more annoying here too. That's the largest problem with this Sonic, he's fucking obnoxious.  I could go on, but I think I got my main point across right now. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Detective Panda said:

How about I expand on this?

In earlier seasons, Quagmire was actually a decent character. He was a perv, but the writers didn't write him as completely and utterly perverted, if that makes sense. At least by Family Guy standards. He did have some aspects to him that were redeemable, such as offering advice to his neighbors' kids, offering to allow Cleveland to beat the shit out of him due to him being seduced into an affair by Cleveland's wife, and even having a great job as a pilot.

But then, flanderization happened, and because my personal favourite character, Brian had become a writer's pet, they decided to knock Brian off his high horse. So who should it be? Maybe Stewie? His best friend who might be able to talk sense into him? Jilian, who might show a moment of rare intelligence? No, how about Quagmire! The one character who's done the exact same thing as Brian, and done far worse than him!

First off, Brian takes Quagmire out to dinner in an attempt to smooth things over, only for Quagmire to go into a random rant, in which he claims Brian as "obnoxious, going after women who is stupider than him, actually trying to have a meaningful relationship with a woman, unlike Quagmire" and the biggest one, for being attracted to Lois, despite Brian holding off that attraction for years, and finally getting over it in a previous episode. May I also remind you guys that Quagmire also attempted to trick Lois into having sex with him multiple times before, and Peter is his best friend.

As for Panda's final point, just watch Mr. Enter's review.

• Thumbs Up 5