Awoo.

Fictional characters you hate/dislike?

Big Panda

Pariston Hill from Hunter X Hunter. No for nothing he represented the Rat in the Zodiacs. I effin hate that guy and his effin smile

The Wii version of Aran Ryan, not only for his fight being a luck-based mission or his cheating, but I am really offended by him since I am of Irish descent.

None of the other incredibly stereotypical characters rub you the wrong way?

SatAm, Robotnik, Lyric,Mephiles

In general, any stereotypically "evil" character who's entire character is "evil" and nothing else, these particular suckers get my ire because they're what I'm familiar with.

Why do they want to defeat the hero? Evil. Why do they get up in the morning? Evil. They eat evil, they sleep evil. It's boring.

Sally Acorn and Boom! Amy, again they're an archetype I highly dislike...the StrongFemaleCharacter, hoo boy. Writers will never stop trying to remind you that these characters are female, and can "do things." actual characterisation be damned. Lola Bunny from space Jam can get lost too. (though thankfully she did.)

That said. Sally Acorn was decent in the first season of SatAm but that's about it.

With Sally this ended up with her being put on a higher and higher pedastal and this excelled to truly creepy levels when Archie's artists kept drawing her "sexy" and and writers  involved her in melodramatic bullshit involving Sonic's inherent wrongness. To this day I still find it disturbing. Sonic couldn't act without Sally, he was portrayed as stupid and wasn't allowed his own wants,his love of freedom was wrong, how is that not abusive? Maybe it's not neccisarily Sally that saw him as inherently wrong, but justifying Sally having total control over him is creepy either way.

A part of the issue is relevancy. Tails in main canon occupies most of both Sally and Rotor's original roles, he's the smart guy, foil, tech guy and sane guy(when sometimes needed). Main! Sonic is independent and reasonably intelligent. Sally is pretty much toast.

I think with the reboot things are being handled OK, I think there's a slight compromise to fit the characters around each other but it's more doable. I still don't find Sally an interesting character, but with Sally being more of an organiser while Tails and Sonic are moreso out in the field makes some sort of sense, what with Sonic and friends being much more of an organisation in this verse.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's getting more irritating for Sally in later comics since, in his desperate attempts to make Sally seem more fallible, Ian Flynn just further mangles this ethic of Sally's. SHE'S allowed to be reckless for example, Sonic never points out the blatant hypocrisy of this, but anyone who calls her HER out on being dangerous is about to be knocked off their pedestal (Spark of Life had a plot revolved around this for example, with Sally rather smugly pointing out how easy it was for NICOLE to come to the same 'reckless' approach as her. Yeah, so you've never came to that conclusion even ONCE when you were ranting at Sonic about it, sweetheart). Not only does this make her look completely inconsistent as a character, it makes her a self righteous hypocrite without any of the irony. Just once I'd like them to try and make her default meticulous strategy (you know, the one that actually opposes and restrains Sonic) to be fallible. It destroys the point if you have to completely reverse her personality around just to make her look flawed.

Boom!Amy I find more tolerable, largely because, unlike Sally, she's allowed to have stuff at her expense, and it's often primarily for bossing people around and thinking she knows better. She can be a bit too obnoxious about it sometimes, but they try and make a better balance of her having a point and being the one in the wrong. Sonic isn't castrated by her at least.

For Sally I feel like she was supposed to have an even handed dynamic at first, but then they decided giving the female character the same 'in the wrong' butt monkey moments as Sonic would be too 'mean', so she got shoehorned into always winning every argument, with her pompousness and stroppy temper then downplayed so she at least wouldn't be as insufferable about it, thus leaving her nothing more than a boring straight man who skews another characters' personality. Even to this day, I don't think writers like humiliating her much in any way. In fact I think the only reason Flynn's Sally isn't a duplicate of early Penders' and Hurst's is because enough fans complained about her.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 1 month later...

I guess it's time I talk about the other character whom I want to like but can't bring myself to: Sally Acorn. Hoo boy... Prepare yourselves, this is gonna be a long read.

latest?cb=20140422022819

So, what are the things that make me want to like Sally? Well, to be completely honest, not much at all. I can’t really bring myself to actually like Sally because, aside from the stigma I have against her character, there isn’t anything about her that interests me. Sally’s role in the group, being the no-nonsense leader of the group who is also the title character’s foil and acts as a “role model” for girls, is as clichéd as her being a princess (seriously, I’m SICK of leading female characters being princesses or otherwise the daughters of “authority”! One of the reasons I love Amy and Cream so much is because they are just normal girls: not princesses, not the president’s daughter, not the tribal chief’s daughter, not the police commissioner’s daughter, JUST normal girls). Sally’s personality/behavior doesn’t appeal to me. And I’ve always felt that Sally’s original design was among the worst in this franchise, both in how out of place it was (though to be fair, she was designed before the standard design for female characters was known) and how bland it was (compare Sally’s original design to that of her fellow Freedom Fighters; at least Bunnie has robotic limbs, Antoine had a uniform, and Rotor was a techni-colored walrus. A naturally colored chipmunk in boots and a vest isn’t nearly “eye catching”). Granted  Sally has since gotten a re-design, which I can’t deny makes her look a lot more interesting, and she’s no longer Sonic’s love interest (so now she’s just the leader of the group and foil) but all the other things still make her overall character uninteresting to me and thus I have no reason to legitimately like her. If anything, the only reasons I want to like Sally is because 1) Quite a few people I view as friends favor Sally, so I want to, y'know, NOT dislike one of their favored characters. Also 2) I'm aware that most of my reasons for disliking Sally are either purely the fault of the people in charge of her character *coughIanFlynncough* and thus aren't the fault of her actual character or, in the case of some, aren't really factors that should be used and are immensely immature reasons (I won’t deny, the whole "SonAmy vs. Sonally" and Sonally in general plays into my disliking for Sally. But I’m not going to mention it any further because they are stupid reasons to dislike a character). It's also because I'm a character guy; I have an immense appreciation for characters in fiction, to the point of treating them *almost* like people, and I see potential in almost all of them. So of course I don't want to be harboring dislike to any of them unless it's genuinely warranted (i.e. irredeemable villains or idiots). I guess I should technically put Sally in the "Characters I dislike/hate" topic if I don't really like anything about her but meh. EDIT- Turns out it really did belong in the "hate/dislike topic" :lol: Sorry about that, MonkeyDestructionSwitch, but thanks for the move!

Now, why don't I like Sally? I guess I should start with the most common complaint about Sally and one that I think is the most major problem with her character: Excessive prominence. Seriously, Sally gets a ton of focus in both mediums she appears in. I’ve heard plenty of people say that SatAM was more about Sally than it was Sonic and Sally’s roles in the numerous stories for the comics (especially as of late) are either as a main character or a prominent supporting character. That is a LOT of screen/page time, especially for a canon foreigner (character who doesn’t originate from series source material. Think Harley Quinn, who originated from Batman: TAS instead of the comics). True, Sally’s a lead character and, as of current, is limited to one piece of media, so she’s warranted plenty of screen/page time. But the problem is that it very often comes to the detriment of the other characters. Bunnie and Rotor hardly got a decent amount of spotlight in SatAM and both of them and Antoine don’t get nearly as much attention as Sally in the comics. Heck, Sally tends to be even more prominent in the comic than most of the Game cast! A canon foreigner gets more prominence than characters from the source material! That should not be a thing… It’s especially bad right now since most of said Game cast are being criminally neglected in the games right now. So in the one place that is willing to actually utilize them, their spotlight is being mostly taken up by one canon foreigner (okay, more like a group of canon foreigners but, as said, Sally gets far more attention than the rest of the Freedom Fighters). It’s also very telling that Sally is the first and so far only Freedom Fighter not from the games to get her own Sonic Universe Arc, which is normally restricted to the Game characters if only because they’re the only ones that can draw in readers (okay, the Arc was technically Nicole’s but Nicole is pretty much an extension of Sally). Like, it would be fine if Sally’s appearances and focus is properly balanced with everyone else, which I know is very hard to do, but too often it feels like the balance is shifted in her favor. There’s apparently never a moment where Sally can’t be important, even if any other character could easily fill in the role Sally was placed it (and possibly do a better job) or Sally really isn’t needed. It really brings to mind a certain character that the majority of people hate, the main reason being because of over-prominence

Spoiler

latest?cb=20080120071308

No, I’m not taking back that comparison. If you ask me, Sally and Chris are almost completely identical characters, with the only differences being that Sally at least tries to be useful and acted as a love interest for Sonic. I hate to knock on a character for getting tons of focus but it’s honestly annoying and contributes to my dislike of Sally nonetheless.

The second thing that prevents me from liking Sally: she’s a creator’s pet (a character who is heavily favored or even outright beloved by the person or people in charge). Sally very frequently gets called a “Mary Sue” and I myself am inclined to state that Sally’s “Sue-like qualities” are the second major reason why I dislike her. But criticizing a character for being a “Mary Sue” is extremely subjective (unless it’s blatant enough) and done so often that at this point it only makes one lose credibility, so I’m not going to go as far as to do that. But I won’t hesitate to call Sally the equally as bad “creator’s pet” because that’s a borderline fact. Sally gets all sorts of special attention from pretty much anyone who’s in charge of the medium Sally appears in; particularly Ben Hurst (bless his resting soul) and Ian Flynn, who have both outright admitted that Sally is their favorite character and Ian even went as far as to make a blog post to talk about how “awesome” she is. Sally is always presented in positive light: a go-getting young girl who is smart, athletic, brave, a natural born leader, and the best friend/sister/mother/aunt you could ever have. Sally’s flaws are very rarely shown but, whenever they are demonstrated, Sally is the only one who actually acknowledges them and then everyone goes out of their way to console her, to let her know that it’s completely alright. Sally is consistently regarded as the “most important and iconic” member of the Freedom Fighters, even though that designation belongs to Sonic as well as Tails and Amy to a minor extent, and the team will literally fall apart should anything happen to Sally. Sally is also always right; she makes the best ideas, the best solutions, knows what’s best for others (even if that “best” is keeping a character with supreme capabilities out of the action simply due to youth. Yeah, I'm getting to that later), and you’re either a dumbass or a jackass if you think otherwise. Oh, and apparently Sally is a master martial artist and could go toe-to-toe with Amy or even Sonic. It’s really telling that Silver, throughout the entire “Traitor Subplot” in the Pre-Reboot, is quick to suspect Sonic, Rotor, and Antoine, with very little actual evidence to go by and immediately goes out to deal with them but he only slightly suspects Sally once, then instantly backs out of that thought. Even after Sonic, Rotor, and Antoine had been proven innocent, Silver didn’t suspect Sally by process of elimination and just got stumped on who the “traitor” is until Harvey Who straight up pointed out that it was Sally, which Silver couldn’t bring himself to believe one bit. But even then, Sally wasn’t truly a traitor and Silver had mellowed out by this point, so he doesn’t go on a man-hunt for Sally to put her down like he attempted with Sonic and Rotor because how dare someone try to kill Sally. But don’t just take my word for it; plenty of other people have felt the same way about Sally. Here’s just two of those people, one of them actually being a fan of Sally’s and finding her “Sue-ish”.

SonicWindAttack, BumbleKing Forums;

"Especially in the early days, it seems like everyone treated her like some super-important member of the team that deserves praise left and right, but... I just couldn't see it. She makes so many mistakes, and is hardly ever called out on it. I just can't see the way the characters treat her as the way they would realistically act unless the plot demands she look good, which is a lot. The worst part to me is how this compares to how Sonic is treated. For example, when Sally gets roboticized for the first time (which was planned, mind you, but still fails because of a stupid mistake on her part), nobody can bring themselves to fight her and nobody is upset with her when she is inevitably changed back. When Sonic is roboticized, they show no hesitation in wanting to take him on, and Sally even screams that he's a traitor... even though not much earlier she said he would never betray them. When things are looking bleak with Mecha Sonic, she shouts "Let freedom ring!" in the same breath as saying she wants to roboticize an unconscious Knuckles. And when Sonic is changed back, she immediately arrests him without giving him a chance to explain himself and acts like she's been betrayed when it's really Sonic who should be feeling that way. Not to mention she tried to OUTRIGHT MURDER him back when he lost his memory by flooding the corridor he was in. And in both cases, when things are inevitably back to normal? He forgives her instantly, no bitterness or rightful calling-outs or anything like that. Plus, she's allowed to keep secrets like her past with Knuckles and her whole plan with Geoffrey in the Sally mini-series, but Sonic having a plan without telling her is bad.

But it doesn't end there. Now we all know about the infamous slap in #134, but my problem isn't with the slap itself as much as peoples' reaction to it. She does it in front of everyone, and nobody is mad at her for it. Not even Amy. I know she and Sally aren't love rivals or anything, but you expect me to believe she wouldn't be the least bit angry when Sally slaps Sonic right in front of her? In all their subsequent meetings, they act like best friends, as if it never happened. And then there's her marriage to Patch. Sure, he's not the real Antoine, but everyone thought he was. And knowing how much it would devastate both Sonic and Bunnie, she marries him (albeit reluctantly). And, you guessed it, neither of them are the least bit upset with her when all is said and done. But Sonic dating Fiona to help his best friend get over her? Apparently that makes him a bad guy. And later we tread familiar ground again when Sonic is being remote-controlled by Eggman, and nobody even bothers to stop attacking him and ask what the deal is until Knuckles shows up. But when Sally is roboticized again, nobody can bring themselves to fight her and they treat it like it's the worst thing in the world. It just doesn't end."

GreenyVertekins, Tumblr;

"Her weaknesses are made out to be sympathetic ones and she was shoehorned into missions that don’t actually require her above other FF’s and their capabilities (Issue #225 in particular). 

She’s regularly shilled as being perfect (Infamous “The Perfect Princess” blog entry on the old Archie site, practically cemented her creator’s pet status) or near-perfect and was even able to evade retribution for going against authority such as in issue #197 in which she gets-off scot free for going against the authority of the council, not to mention how convenient it was that over half of said council were already biased in her favor to begin with. 

This is especially ironic because she was the one who suggested the creation of the council to start with as a means of making the kingdom more democratic yet she’s the one going against their purpose and bitching about being held culpable for going against their authority! And yet it’s all glossed-over as if the council are the baddies. Yes, Hamlin was acting like a bitter douche who had an axe to grind but you can’t deny that he had a point.

She was hardly ever pulled over the coals for wrongdoing, instead other characters consoled her and seem to even support it (Monkey Khan in one of the Iron Dominion arc issues, can’t remember precisely the issue number). This has even been a problem in one of the more recent post-reboot issues as a result of wildly inconsistent writing."

Is it any wonder why people frequently consider Sally to be a Mary Sue? Even if this is entirely the fault of the writers and not Sally’s actual character, it’s still something heavily involved Sally and majorly helped give me a very negative view of Sally as a whole.

And now for the third and, for now, final reason for why I can’t bring myself to like Sally at all, which is admittedly stupid but is at least more genuine reason than the previous two. That reason is something I’d like to call “The Cream Crisis”. As I said in my post for Sticks, I’ve made it very clear since I joined here that I’m a huge fan of Cream the Rabbit, though I’ve also made it clear since joining the forums that I’m not happy with Cream’s treatment within the Archie Comics. Sure, I guess the way Cream is handled in the comics is arguably better than how the games and even Sonic X handled her but I personally feel it’s lackluster all the same. Pre-Reboot, Cream’s “contributions” were limited almost entirely to airlifting other characters, alongside other very insignificant actions such as finding a missing folder or leading an evacuation (the latter was particularly frustrating since Cream was fighting off the invading robots at the very beginning of that issue, then Ian had her chicken out for the stupidest reason). Though I’m willing to forgive Pre-Reboot!Cream since it was genuinely Cream’s first foray into adventuring there. But still, I was hoping Cream’s handling in the comics would improve in the Reboot, especially since the game continuity (sans Unleashed, Lost World, Chronicles, and a few spin-offs) was being incorporated into the comics history (meaning Cream will no longer be a “noob” but a veteran. Of sorts). I thought my hopes were answered once Cream was confirmed to be a Freedom Fighter in the comics… Only for them to crash down in the worst possible way as Cream’s presence in the comics became even more insignificant than they were Pre-Reboot! I mean, I still hate how Cream only got to airlift people Pre-Reboot but I can’t deny she was at least doing something! Post-Reboot, Cream is completely left out of the action, not at all allowed to contribute meaningfully to the team she just joined. Literally the only thing Cream has done in her tenure as a Freedom Fighter is serve food or sit around Sky Patrol doing nothing. Okay, there were a few “legit” moments, namely 267 where Cream leads the rescue for the Freedom Fighters after a very botched mission, but those moments were completely glossed over and didn’t really matter to Cream’s character (and in the case of one of them, it wasn’t shown one bit). Thankfully, this is finally changing with 283, where Cream is stated to be crucial to “the plan” and by extension “Panic in the Sky”, which is logically where Cream’s “key role” plays out. It also seems Cream’s “sidelining” has ended a bit with “Wings of Fire”, where she’s finally taking part in the action (although, irritatingly, she’s still airlifting but at this point I don’t even care)! But still, this whole “sidelining Cream” period was just so highly infuriating, completely unnecessary, and just overall insulting that I can’t help but still be pissed off about it even with it finally dying.

Sorry about that ^^; It’s become pretty much instinct of mine to rant about that whole shindig all the time because it pisses me off that much. But what does this have to do with Sally, you may be asking? Simple; Sally is the reason for Cream’s sidelining. Cream has been all too willing to participate in all the missions that have been taking place in Shattered World Crisis and could’ve easily taken part in all of them. But despite being a very capable character, in spite of her age and demeanor, and earnestly wanting to take part in missions, Cream has been actively kept out of the action by Sally. Whenever Cream expressed interest in helping out, Sally immediately shoots her down and gives a bullshit reason why Cream can’t take part in the action; first time being “I need you here in Sky Patrol to help out” (even though Sally has Nicole…) and every other time since has been essentially “Sorry but you’re too young and inexperienced” (even though Cream actually is experienced and is perfectly capable despite her age) or “It’s too dangerous” (because “danger” has always been a concern in the Sonic franchise amirite). Sure, Rotor also declined Cream in such a manner, which was immense bullshit, but he only did so once while Sally does it constantly. It doesn't help that Sally acts like an overprotective parent to Cream, becoming a surrogate mother of sorts to her, which personally irritates me to no end.

Call me out for bias if you want but does Sally seriously need to have the role of "Cream's surrogate parent" when she already holds the very prominent role of "team leader", "princess", and other such things. Like, it would've been better and more sensible to have Bunnie act as a "surrogate mother" for Cream, Sally's got enough on her plate. It's also incredibly irritating how Sally is pretty much the only character Cream has extensively interacted with since SWC and Sally likewise consistently dotes on or worries for Cream. I mean, what about Amy Rose!? The character whom Cream was created to be the sidekick to? How come Cream is becoming more of a "sidekick" for Sally bleeding Acorn? Hell, what about Sonic, Tails, or Big, whom Cream has established friendships with? And god damn, I would've loved to see Cream interact with Bunnie and Antoine, see what her relationship with them is like, but instead the only SatAM characters Cream has gotten to interact with is Sally and, to a super minor extent, Rotor. And, really, it's just not pleasant to see your favorite character of all time constantly hanging around with a character you don't like in the least. The fact that Sally isn't a good character for Cream to be around with all the time, given how Sally doesn't have any faith in Cream's abilities, only adds buckets more of salt to the wound.

No seriously, I find Cream's relationship with Sally to be unhealthy because Sally is constantly holding Cream back, refusing to let her contribute to the team nor let the poor rabbit gain more experience (making Sally decline Cream action due to "inexperience" all the more infuriating, cause how the flying hell is Cream expected to gain experience then!?). Sally thinks she's keeping Cream safe, but the reality is that she's doing far more damage to Cream than you could possibly imagine. Also, it's super ironic (but in a very bad way) how Sally keeps Cream out of the field due to the potential of getting hurt but, in actuality, Sally is the one who should stay out of the field! I mean, should I point out the time where Sally nearly got the entire team (except Cream, Big, and Nicole) killed through a bone-head mistake of hers, which required Cream going out to rescue them alongside Big (and then Sally subsequently got more focus in the aftermath instead of Cream, learning nothing from that experience and depriving Cream much warranted attention so we could feel bad for Sally)? Or how about the time in World's Unite where Sally went out to help fight against the Mega Man characters (controlled by the Deadly Six) and ended up being the only character to get hurt (although the wound she received was light enough to be healed by a mere band-aid, making Sally telling Cream she couldn't help because the fight was "too dangerous" earlier in that very issue all the more stupid).

Sally has no place ordering Cream around, especially if said order is to "stay put", and I would love for Cream, Amy, Tails, and/or Sonic to give Sally one hell of a verbal thrashing for treating Cream like this cause this was nothing but insulting. But, of course, that's never going to happen cause Ian would never allow such a thing to happen to Sally. No, Sally is the only one who's allowed to point this out and none of the other characters will hold it against her, even though it's very much warranted. Although, I guess that's the thing; this whole mess is entirely Ian's doing, since he holds a very misguided view of Cream and seemingly doesn't know what to do with her (HOW HARD IS IT TO HAVE CREAM DO SOMETHING TO FIX AN EXPLODED PLANET!?!?) and I shouldn't be hating Sally for this. But even with that in mind, it's very hard for me not to hold this against Sally since I already have a rather strong disliking of her character and it's hard to look at all the times she rejected Cream and not blame her for it all. That and because this whole "sidelining Cream event" has been done majorly in part to give more character to Sally, to show off how "awesome" a mother she can be...

This is probably just me being hasty again but, then again, what would Cream get out of this "development" if it was being done right? Cream would benefit much more if she was allowed to fucking contribute! Sally's the only one getting anything out of this development and the fact that this is the case is what truly makes me livid about this whole "sub-plot! One of my favorite characters of all time, one I'm most passionate about right now, has essentially been tossed under the bus in order to give a character, who already has a lot to her and is one I never cared about in the least, more "development" for herself... You see now why I can't shut up about this? I know it's super annoying and, believe me, I will try to finally stop ranting about the "situation" after this. But, I'm just gonna say, if your favorite character of all time was being screwed over and forced to hang out extensively with a character you don't like in the least, I wouldn't blame you for ranting about it countless times. This kind of shit should never have happened and Ian should've realized that this was a horrible idea from the start, but he decided to go along with this shit idea and I'm going to let him know how badly he fucked up, cause all he has done is supply me with a third major reason to dislike Sally and pretty much cement my refusal to like her character.

At this point, I'm hoping Sally would get a major decrease in role in the comics very soon. And I definitely wish Sally had died all the way back in "Endgame" like she was supposed to because I cannot stand her any longer, which honestly pains me to say because I don't want to wish "death" on any non-evil character. I don't want to bash someone's favorite character like so many other people do to my favorite characters and I want to appreciate every character's existence. But I have never been given a reason to care about Sally, let alone like her. Rather, I've been given reasons not to like her and now it's gonna take a miracle to make me remotely tolerate her character. I'm deeply sorry to those who favor Sally... Rest assured, I will not rant about Sally again. At least, I'll try not to

Edited by Kaotic Kanine
  • Thumbs Up 3

I feel like her overprotectiveness of Cream would have been valid if she developed out of it and as Cream got to actually prove herself she'd lax and be less coddling, which could fittingly play on one of her major foibles. It would be a less obnoxious manner of proving Cream works with the team than, say Vector's treatment in Sonic X, where in the opposite fashion, he was disproven without Cream actually doing anything to prove herself and very rudely told to keep his big nose out of it.

But this hasn't happened. Anytime Cream does show independence or ability on the field (like outright saving Sally's team after SHE proved incompetent) it's always an ignored epiphany for Sally. She's not laxed in the slightest and still treated as right. I don't mind her getting some moments she has a point, Cream after all isn't the most experienced member of the team and Sally at heart will always be a worrier, but unlike the Sonic X example, Cream has been proving her worth, yet Sally's still talking down to her and underestimating no differently from when they started. Cream's not been allowed to improve her position.

This is the problem, Sally's cautiousness is always treated as right and she is constantly enabled to debunk other characters' defining traits and strengths as 'always wrong' because they contradict her's. Taking risks is a gamble but sometimes it's necessary. If you sat protected in your home all your life nothing would progress, you have to make that gamble once in a while. Hell, meticulous characters can be ripe with equally destructive defects and issues, which Sally hints to having but is never developed fully into suffering from for obvious reasons. Satam had the same problem always strawmaning Sonic's free willed spontaneous approach over Sally's meticulous one, he was always wrong against her and condemned to not act like himself, though even at that, Drood Henge bothered to show Sally's protectiveness wasn't always right, and a junior member in that circumstance was allowed to ascend.

Sally's one of those characters that could be sympathetic if she had at least SOME moments of humility, but, due to how the universe falls before her, has arguably never had to compromise or admit defeat in almost any situation. Mobius X Years Later was an epitome of this, with Sonic, after a lifetime of being talked down to and put in his place by Sally, is left depressed and miserable as her King, with Sally having things...pretty much exactly how she wanted from the start, and thinking it's pretty unfair Sonic won't suck it up for her. And of course Sonic's moaning has repercussions in the most gratuitously dark of methods, he'll be sure to be happy held down from now on, that's for sure.

• Thumbs Up 4

4 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

I feel like her overprotectiveness of Cream would have been valid if she developed out of it and as Cream got to actually prove herself she'd lax and be less coddling, which could fittingly play on one of her major foibles. It would be a less obnoxious manner of proving Cream works with the team than, say Vector's treatment in Sonic X, where in the opposite fashion, he was disproven without Cream actually doing anything to prove herself and very rudely told to keep his big nose out of it.

I want to agree with that. But, as stated in the post, I can't feel that this whole "development" would've been valid even if it was pulled off correctly. Cream could easily and more effectively prove she works with the team by actually taking action instead of being forced onto the sidelines and having to take action when shit hits the fan. Why exactly go this route of "Sally keeps Cream on the sidelines and Cream earn her respect" to prove her being in the team when it's more sensible and simpler to prove Cream's worth in the team by just showing her contributing meaningfully to the team? That's exactly why I feel this whole thing only benefits Sally as this only gives development for her, meanwhile Cream is forced to stay out of the action and not prove her worth on the team until Sally learns her dumbass lesson. Sure, it would've been a better execution of that episode in Sonic X, which I guess is a scenario worth utilizing, but really, that scenario only makes sense in Sonic X. As much as it pains me to say, Cream is genuinely inexperienced and inactive in Sonic X, so Vector's feelings in that episode, as much as I want to disagree, were actually valid. In the Archie Comics, however, it makes no sense at all for Sally to be like this with Cream since the majority of the games (including Advance 2&3, Heroes, Battle, and Rush) are firmly canon. Sally's feelings aren't nearly as valid as Vector's because, unless she didn't participate in those events (which I highly doubt due to Ian's unabashed love for Sally), she should've seen Cream in action during those events and know that this little girl isn't an inexperienced weakling who needs to be kept safe. If this were the Pre-Reboot universe, I guess I'd be more forgiving of Sally behaving like this, but in the Rebooted universe I don't see any excuse for her. This whole "development" is just completely unnecessary, no matter how it's pulled off. 

Agreed with everything else in your post though. Admittedly, the "Cream Crisis" isn't nearly as bad as how Sally affected the other characters, most notably Sonic. But, of course, I decided to raise a bigger issue with the young rabbit girl because of my excessive passion (though it is the most relevant case of Sally's "overbearing" nature).

I view Sally Acorn as a beautiful put together puzzle with the pieces assembled wrong. I feel she's a great character, but she can also be annoying for the reasons mentioned. It often does feel that the comics pre-reboot was more about her than anything. I do jokingly say that the comics should be named The Adventures of Sally Acorn ft Sonic. I just didn't like how other characters go out of their way to change for her mainly Sonic and Amy or go out of their way to even mention her if they haven't met (looking at you TTT Cream)

It's the same with Chris though. I am a big fan of Chris, but even as big as a fan I am, I do often get annoyed at how much prominence he has over the other characters. You might as well call the show Chris X ft Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I was saving this post for a rainy day but FUK IT! We're doing it!

Celica_A._Mercury_28Centralfiction2C_Cha

Celica A. Mercury

Ok this girl? Cute and endearing right? NO! This is one of the worst characters I have the pleasure of being annoyed by. To put into perspective she's probably the worst character that she might be most hated character by me ever. Its saying a lot if she's considered to be that bad. So I guess I'll have to explain why she gets so much ire from me.

TL;DR: She's a Mary Sue who takes up nearly every character's screen time!

For the long version, Blazblue has been a series that has heavy lore and often showed what the other characters were doing in the plot but the majority of the story focuses around Ragna the Bloodedge and his deputes with the NOL his rivalry with Jin, and wanting to find his sister. A good chunk of it is dedicated to him, if not revolving around him. The other character's stories are important in some way but really nice for some background. Come Chronophantasma they merged everyone's story into 3 different branches, meaning it focuses on Ragna, Noel, and Jin the 3 main characters so you'd be lucky if the story focused on the in betweens. I'm mixed about it since it finally gets the plot on track but it doesn't really focus on the characters we like.

Anyways with that out the way so with the focus on Ragna, Noel, and Jin things should be fine and dandy right? WRONG! Nearly a quarter in and Kokonoe introduces Celica and straps her to Ragna, unless he wants to go out in a nuclear blast. The reason for this is because they need to strap Celica to a magical device to remove all the magic pollution in the world. But ever since her appearance she NEVER LEAVES! She will always have her say in everything and everyone will always tell her that she is perfect in every way. Note that this even extends to Rachel who usually bad mouths everyone but not Celica because she's that perfect. And as I mentioned Celica pretty much steals the spotlight from the main character this also hurts every other character, especially the ones who were introduced in this game not named Kagura. Amane Nishiki, my new favorite character of the series only has a grand total of 3 scenes where none of them were important. He does get some foreshadowing in gag reels but that's about it. Bullet doesn't learn what she wants but she gets some backstory as of EXTEND. Azrael is just there to cause a ruckus.

Oh speaking of EXTEND, Celica became a playable character in that edition of CP. She's a pacifist who can't hurt anyone in a fighting game but she does causes harm anyways. Her only excuse is that she heals them anyways but still she's causing harm directly which makes her a hypocrite. Anyways where was I? Oh yeah what she does for the story. Surprisingly ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Remember how I said that she was supposed to be strapped to magic device? That plot point fixed itself thanks to Bang figuring out shit so no Celica sacrifices needed. So what else does she do? Because she's so perfect she gets rid of all the evil magic in the surrounding area. Sounds like a good thing right? NOPE! It hinders Ragna because of her he can't use his Azure Grimoire which means he loses a lot of power. This also equals extremely hard fights with Jin and Azrael, you know 2 OF THE TOP TIER CHARACTERS IN DA GAEM! I don't know what she's doing as of Central Fiction but however her older sister Nine steps up to bat. Why am I mentioning this? Her goal is to destroy all life from the world which includes killing her husband and daughter just so Celica can have the perfect world to live in! Celica made me indirectly dislike Nine because of this. Its just UGH! Oh in case if you were wondering, the game does have a lot of ship tease between Ragna and Celica. Why is this a worth mention? This puts a massive brick in already established ship teases like RagnaxRachel which has been teased since the first game (proof) but Celica is Ragna's adoptive mother. They are shipping the main character with his mom! Well mother figure but still, pretty WTF if ask me.

I usually don't make long posts but this one was needed. This character is a glorified Mary Sue who would appear from almost nowhere if we didn't had the Phase Shift manga, which the US didn't had soooo.... I don't think they would change anything honestly. I'm also assuming she pops up in XBlaze: Lost Memories since there's characters that look awfully like Nine and Celica in there so she's stealing more spotlight from everyone else! She's just everywhere and won't go away. I don't care if you are perfect, you're not. Just get off my screen for more important things like the GOD OF DANCING for an example. Geez! I honestly hope this changes in CF.

• Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, Crow the BOOLET said:

I was saving this post for a rainy day but FUK IT! We're doing it!

Celica_A._Mercury_28Centralfiction2C_Cha

Celica A. Mercury

Ok this girl? Cute and endearing right? NO! This is one of the worst characters I have the pleasure of being annoyed by. To put into perspective she's probably the worst character that she might be most hated character by me ever. Its saying a lot if she's considered to be that bad. So I guess I'll have to explain why she gets so much ire from me.

TL;DR: She's a Mary Sue who takes up nearly every character's screen time!

For the long version, Blazblue has been a series that has heavy lore and often showed what the other characters were doing in the plot but the majority of the story focuses around Ragna the Bloodedge and his deputes with the NOL his rivalry with Jin, and wanting to find his sister. A good chunk of it is dedicated to him, if not revolving around him. The other character's stories are important in some way but really nice for some background. Come Chronophantasma they merged everyone's story into 3 different branches, meaning it focuses on Ragna, Noel, and Jin the 3 main characters so you'd be lucky if the story focused on the in betweens. I'm mixed about it since it finally gets the plot on track but it doesn't really focus on the characters we like.

Anyways with that out the way so with the focus on Ragna, Noel, and Jin things should be fine and dandy right? WRONG! Nearly a quarter in and Kokonoe introduces Celica and straps her to Ragna, unless he wants to go out in a nuclear blast. The reason for this is because they need to strap Celica to a magical device to remove all the magic pollution in the world. But ever since her appearance she NEVER LEAVES! She will always have her say in everything and everyone will always tell her that she is perfect in every way. Note that this even extends to Rachel who usually bad mouths everyone but not Celica because she's that perfect. And as I mentioned Celica pretty much steals the spotlight from the main character this also hurts every other character, especially the ones who were introduced in this game not named Kagura. Amane Nishiki, my new favorite character of the series only has a grand total of 3 scenes where none of them were important. He does get some foreshadowing in gag reels but that's about it. Bullet doesn't learn what she wants but she gets some backstory as of EXTEND. Azrael is just there to cause a ruckus.

Oh speaking of EXTEND, Celica became a playable character in that edition of CP. She's a pacifist who can't hurt anyone in a fighting game but she does causes harm anyways. Her only excuse is that she heals them anyways but still she's causing harm directly which makes her a hypocrite. Anyways where was I? Oh yeah what she does for the story. Surprisingly ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! Remember how I said that she was supposed to be strapped to magic device? That plot point fixed itself thanks to Bang figuring out shit so no Celica sacrifices needed. So what else does she do? Because she's so perfect she gets rid of all the evil magic in the surrounding area. Sounds like a good thing right? NOPE! It hinders Ragna because of her he can't use his Azure Grimoire which means he loses a lot of power. This also equals extremely hard fights with Jin and Azrael, you know 2 OF THE TOP TIER CHARACTERS IN DA GAEM! I don't know what she's doing as of Central Fiction but however her older sister Nine steps up to bat. Why am I mentioning this? Her goal is to destroy all life from the world which includes killing her husband and daughter just so Celica can have the perfect world to live in! Celica made me indirectly dislike Nine because of this. Its just UGH! Oh in case if you were wondering, the game does have a lot of ship tease between Ragna and Celica. Why is this a worth mention? This puts a massive brick in already established ship teases like RagnaxRachel which has been teased since the first game (proof) but Celica is Ragna's adoptive mother. They are shipping the main character with his mom! Well mother figure but still, pretty WTF if ask me.

I usually don't make long posts but this one was needed. This character is a glorified Mary Sue who would appear from almost nowhere if we didn't had the Phase Shift manga, which the US didn't had soooo.... I don't think they would change anything honestly. I'm also assuming she pops up in XBlaze: Lost Memories since there's characters that look awfully like Nine and Celica in there so she's stealing more spotlight from everyone else! She's just everywhere and won't go away. I don't care if you are perfect, you're not. Just get off my screen for more important things like the GOD OF DANCING for an example. Geez! I honestly hope this changes in CF.

I knew as soon as I got a notification about this topic, you were going to do Celica lol.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

This little bitch

image.png

You think DW from Arthur is the worst animated little sister? At least she has the redeeming quality of actually looking up to her big brother from time to time. But Sarah? I can't think of a single instance in which she has shown genuine love and respect towards Ed, at least not an instance that wasn't as a means to get something.

Ed, being the simple dope he is, loves his little sister and wants to look out for her regardless, and that's admirable. But Sarah repays it by constantly disrespecting him, and being nasty and hateful toward him. I can't remember there ever being a point where Ed and Sarah have a genuine brotherly-sisterly moment, because she doesn't give two shits about her brother. And frankly, if Ed didn't have buttered toast for a brain, I wouldn't blame him for feeling the same way about the little psycho.

• Thumbs Up 7

Something that does bug me a fair bit about Sarah is that, while Eddy's Brother was the pivot all the kids realised how crappy Eddy's life was and his treatment had crossed the line, Sarah has done nearly all that sort of abuse plus worse to Ed. In fact I may consider Sarah WORSE since Eddy's Brother was just a cliche cartoon bully who intimidated Eddy. Sarah used Ed's kindness to exploit the fact he could never fight back or stand up for himself, which is even more vile and emotionally abusive. The one time Ed actually didn't back down she turned into a snivelling coward. Eddy's Brother was just a standard bully, Sarah was a bully and a slimy manipulative weasel.

• Thumbs Up 6

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2016 at 5:31 AM, E-122-Psi said:

Something that does bug me a fair bit about Sarah is that, while Eddy's Brother was the pivot all the kids realised how crappy Eddy's life was and his treatment had crossed the line, Sarah has done nearly all that sort of abuse plus worse to Ed. In fact I may consider Sarah WORSE since Eddy's Brother was just a cliche cartoon bully who intimidated Eddy. Sarah used Ed's kindness to exploit the fact he could never fight back or stand up for himself, which is even more vile and emotionally abusive. The one time Ed actually didn't back down she turned into a snivelling coward. Eddy's Brother was just a standard bully, Sarah was a bully and a slimy manipulative weasel.

If there's one thing I wished had happened while the show was still airing, it was that every mean thing she ever did came back and bit her in the ass, forcing her to really take a look at herself. Then again I could say that for Kevin as well...

• Thumbs Up 3

• 3 weeks later...

He's a man of many names. Kal-El, last son of Krypton. Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter at the Daily Planet. The Man of Steel. The Metropolis Marvel. Boy Scout. Alien. Hero. Superman.

Unlike many in this topic, I have no need to tell you who this man is. He is without question the most famous DC Comics character. The most famous superhero. Possibly the most famous protagonist to have ever existed. Definitely the greatest. He is brave. He is strong. But perhaps more importantly, he is kind. He is understanding. It is these quintessential reasons all that will leave many of you scratching your heads, and some lighting your torches, at the prospect that this is a character I dislike or even hate.

However, it is for those very same quintessential reasons that I do not hate or even dislike Superman. I couldn't hate Superman, even if he made me bald. I am writing this because I dislike, and yes, hate another. Someone else. Someone else entirely, in fact.

20160728_212956.jpg

This man.

Honestly, Superman isn't even my favourite DC superhero. Far from it, in honesty. But he is a character I admire, for his upstanding nature, for his impact on pop culture, and for the titanic inspiration he has been to people in the real world, regardless of him being a 'mere' work of fiction. This man, I do not admire. This man, I do not respect. Frankly I cannot stand to tolerate his very fucking existence.

This man, is of course, the protagonist of the film Man of Steel, and the face of the marvelously mishandled venture that is the DC Extended Universe.

This man is presented as a new take on Superman. Darker, more grey, more real. As much as I loved Christopher Reeve's portrayal of the character as an utter dink on the charm offensive, there is nothing wrong to me with the idea of a darker Superman. I'd rather they not take that direction, but there are no 'bad' directions. Bad directors, on the other hand?

This man is an outsider. Immensely powerful, but crippled by the weight of it all. An alien among men, and not all good men. The people of the DCEU fear Superman, dread him, and straight out just seem to hate his guts for these reasons. It's an inevitability. But a hero shouldn't care. He doesn't do this for glory. He would prove those people mistaken anyway, and not because he was trying to. This man does not do that. He is defeated by the challenge before he has even met it.

This man does save people in these movies, and has even saved the world as we know it from it's doomsday. There is cost, but life continues, with a chance to repair itself, because of him. These big acts of heroism are all well and good, but it just comes across as a rich dad you never see sending you lots of expensive presents, because of this man's ill behaviour.

This man is sad. He doesn't smile. He's deflated, and if you told him what a loathsome cunt he is he would most likely agree with you and then rip off your arm and eat it. This man makes saving people and doing good look almost as joyless and mechanical a process (and it is a process) as the kind that birthed these movies. As communicated in the already legendary sad-saving-people montage of Batman v. Superman, the scene I'd consider a scrappy contender for the worst thing I have EVER had the misfortune of being centered before my eyeballs, this man appears to help people as though he does NOT want to, but his powers make it a necessity. A necessity. Good lord. Worse, it seems like he doesn't really try hard at being a hero until AFTER he is branded an alien psycho. You'd think he was a toilet cleaner for a living. That he faced losing that job, so he put in some effort, but ultimately didn't care either way.

I said before that I love Superman because of the decency of his character more than the grand selfless acts he performs, and that goes both ways. This man too does similar grand things (although I've long suspected he chose self-sacrifice because he just wanted to fucking die), but the man behind the Super is so detestable the Super means nothing. He has none of the morals and principles behind these heroic acts that MAKE THEM heroic, and neither a cynical glory-grab nor a miserable necessity. For all his defeated brooding he doesn't even seem to be capable of empathy. He's just a shitty person, and nothing he does, whether the surface is vaguely selfless, debatably heroic, even world-changing will change THAT. And what he DOES do to help people, he does in a way so miserable and neck-snappingly violent that there's no wonder that no good being was behind it. Make Superman a darker character if you must, but not like this. Not this vile manhandling. And don't try to call him a Christlike figure after all of this. He's barely Superman. He is not a god.

He was never even a man.

• Thumbs Up 3

If there's one kind of character that really ticks me off, its a character that is clearly villainous, but is treated like the hero. Whether through acting unsympathetic, or being more of a credible threat to the safety of others than the so-called villains, these characters are a hallmark of bad writing and rather annoying to deal with. I feel Angela Anaconda fits that category quite well.

She's a young girl who goes to what I presume is in elementary school, and the main character of the show Angela Anaconda. You're meant to see her as your typical smart girl, trying to make her way through a school of idiots including the also-bratty-but-less-irritating Nanette Manoire. There's a twist too-- like Doug, she has an active imagination and frequently imagines herself in a variety of fantasies related to the problem of the day. But unlike Doug's fantasies, which tend to be manifestations of his anxiety, Angela's fantasies are manifestations of her irritation at the people around her and her desires for revenge. Here's a comparatively mild example, where Angela smiles while imagining Nanette suffering a plane crash as an airplane. Why? Well, Nanette bumped into her and declared that an aisle of books in the library to be Nanette's personal fashion runway. Sure Nanette is a jerk, but to fantasize about her death for something that can be solved by talking to the librarian and which doesn't negatively affect you a whole lot is excessive.

Here's a more serious example, in where Angela imagines Nanette, her teacher, and herself to be trapped in a jungle flood, but while Angela gets saved by her new substitute teacher, Nanette and her actual teacher are left to simply beg for her mercy. Then the substitute constructs two paper airplanes, which drop coconuts on Nanette and her actual teacher and cause them to fall off their raft, leaving them to the mercy of crocodiles and a waterfall which presumably killed them. The writers clearly tried to make Nanette and her teacher act extra jerky for this one, what with her advocate for the use of crocodile in clothing and accessories and sabotage Angela's project and her actual teacher give her a rather disproportionate punishment for not giving in an assignment. But Angela's fantasies still come off as excessive considering how Nanette's idea is too outlandish to ever be taken seriously (even Nanette doesn't seem to put too much thought into it), and her teacher could be argued as simply doing her job (even if she did go a little overboard with the punishments). Meanwhile, Angela seems like she actually wants to torture her teacher and Nanette to death. Oh, its a fantasy now, but Angela gets really invested in the fantasies, and clearly feels that the events within them are justified, so its hard not to imagine her actually trying something like that for real once she gets older.

This is your reminder that you're supposed to sympathise with and support Angela's actions and thoughts-- not to mention feel happy when she pulls a victory, which is pretty much every episode. A character like Angela could work if the point is for her to be wrong in plotting revenge schemes, so that she can learn lessons about why her vengeful solutions are unhealthy and counterproductive, and how she can better deal with the problems she faces at school. But that's not really how she's used-- in fact, she's validated most of the time, seldom learning anything new or consequential.

Besides her violent fantasies, she also has two annoying verbal tics-- frequently saying "on the account of" and making redundant statements like "rainforest food from the rainforest." It doesn't make her sound quirky or unique, it just makes her sound pretentious and annoying. That in turn in not helped by the fact that her voice actor inexplicably decided to make her sound a lot like Sonia from Sonic Underground, upping the annoyance factor. She's also pretty condescending too, frequently referring to her friend Johnny as "dim-witted" in casual conversation with him and her other friend and generally acting smarter-than-thou.

In short, she's the epitome of an arrogant brat and lacks credibility as a hero, yet is treated as always in the right.

To be fair, I always found her teacher Mrs. Brinx (however you spell it) to he horribly unfair most of the time. I remember there was one episode where Angela had to write an essay on who she admired (or something like that) and she chose to write about her dog, and when she read it out in class, Mrs. Brinx, for god knows what reason, got the impression she was talking about her (since Angela never specified in the essay itself) causing Brinx to feel touched and started treating Angela nicely because of it. And when she later learned the truth...she punished her for making her feel stupid. As if it was Angela's fault that she made the wrong assumption.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, I agree that everybody is a jerk in this show. But Angela's fantasies and revenges are way over the line, and she seems to take a rather uncomfortable amount of pleasure and investment from them.

I stand by her being better suited as the kind of character that has to learn a lesson at the end of the episode rather than one that's always right. She could be the kind that overreacts to everything due to her oversensitivity and overactive imagination, then learns more sensible solutions to her problems as well as how to control her imagination and channel it into more productive outlets.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what, let's keep up the DC theme started by @The Joker. There's a character I've wanted to talk about for a while.

latest?cb=20110829181631

This. Little. Shit.

A lot of you might know, Nightwing is one of my favourite characters. He's my favourite DC character period. I'm actually fan of most of the Robins. Dick Grayson, Tim, and even Jason when he became Red Hood. But for the love of god, I cannot stand Damian fucking Wayne at all.

For those who needs context, Damian Wayne is the son of Bruce Wayne. How was he created? There's two origins. One of them (The DC Animated Origin I believe), Talia Al Ghul drugged Batman with a mind control drug and forced him to take her out for a night and have sex, creating Damian. The comic one is a bit more sketchy in my mind (I know it has something to do with a genetics experiment on Talia's part, but I can't remember if it includes the movie version of how it happened). He is then raised within the League of Shadows, and that's where all of the goddamn issues with Damian starts.

First issue? The little prick thinks he's better than everyone, and it just annoys me to no end. He constantly gives off to other characters like Alfred and Nightwing about how his training in the League makes him much more capable of crime fighting, or even helping Batman than either of them, and he never gets called out for it. Alfred gets a few witty quips in and that's about it. I get what they were going for here, that it's obvious they wanted Damian to be an egotistical shit before Batman helps him grow out of that phase, but it never happens. At most, I can say his relationship with his father grows and that's just about it. He still acts like the same asshole he's always been. He claims that by "right" the mantle of both Robin and Batman is his due to birthright

Fair enough, I've not seen a lot of Damian outside of the main Batman New 52 series, and some of the older arcs, but even then from what I've heard, he still fucking screws over his friends. There's a recent story arc named Robin War where a bunch of teenagers decide to become Robins, causing an huge problem in Gotham that gets manipulated by the Court of Owls. The entire plan is an attempt to force Nightwing into becoming their new Talon, like he was always meant to be. Damian gets all pissy because he's "the real Robin" and he ends up helping the Court. Why? Because he's pissy about not being the one and only. You know what he does? He fucks over the entire Bat-Family, he beats the shit out of Tim Drake and several of the Robins who banded together to stop the Court, and he does this fully aware of the fact these were the same cunts that captured his father and tried to drive him insane by throwing him into a labyrinth for a week. He then tries to justify it as "ugh, batman would do this".

Oh, but guess what! It turns out to be a trick, big shock! The court reveals to Nightwing that they implanted a bomb on the mask that Damian is wearing that has sinked into his skin and if Nightwing doesn't do as they say, they'll detonate the bomb and kill Damian. That's right folks, Damian is solely responsible for forcing Nightwing into being an assassin for The Court of Owls and going against all of his morals. This is following a previous near death experience, being forced to go off the grid and undercover for Bruce Wayne in a spy agency trying to blackmail superheroes and now Damian betrays all of them and forces Nightwing to be something he despises. "Oh, but its alright because one of the Robin kids convinces him to stop". Simple fact? Too little. Too fucking late. 

Not only is he egotistical, but his "skills" that he keeps going on about aren't even that great. In fact, one of my favourite Nightwing moments comes directly from seeing Damian finally get his comeuppance for being an annoying shit to everyone. Unfortunately it doesn't happen in the comics though. 

Oh, but it doesn't matter, because despite getting his ass utterly kicked by Nightwing, aka the person he claims he's "better" than, he still goes on about how he's too good for any of them, and his skills are superior.

Just fuck off Damian.

• Thumbs Up 5

I thought Damien was supposed to be a Hate Sink?

latest?cb=20151109124149

This little shit in Boku no Hero Academia (My Hero Academia), Neito Monoma, every damn time he appears I want to slug this sucker in the face, granted I'm sure this is what the author intended. Smartass, Talks annoyingly way too much, always dissing on Class 1-A just because they had more experience than his class and are more popular, despite the fact that Class 1-A has been in outright dangerous situations that could've cost their lives.

It wouldn't surprise me if this bastard is the Traitor that Principal Nedzu is trying to flush out, or at least one of the suspects anyway.

Other characters that piss me off:

Spoiler

Silver - Sonic the Hedgehog

Peach - Main series Mario titles, not the RPG's

Mako - Legend of Korra

Magaki - King of Fighters XI (Cheapest Fighting game boss their is)

Ash Crimson - King of Fighters

Sarah - Ed, Edd, & Eddy

Lars - Steven Universe

Ash - Pokemon BW Anime version

Iris - Pokemon Anime

Damian Wayne - Batman

Ryu, Ken and all Shoto clones - Street Fighter (Seriously, learn to play someone more unique, I'm glad that Nash won Evo)

Ceaser - One Piece

Vinsmoke Family - One Piece

Akainu - One Piece

Superman - DC Comics

Morty's Dad - Rick & Morty

The whole Family Guy main cast - Family Guy (Seriously, i used to love Family Guy, but....my goodness it degraded so much)

2 hours ago, nintega137 said:
23 hours ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

I thought Damien was supposed to be a Hate Sink?

A what?

A hate sink is a character that was designed to be the kind of character the audience loves to hate. Despite the definition, hate sinks are actually more commonly heroic-- presumably because the insufferability aspect of a character is increased when he's put in a role that's traditionally given to the most sympathetic character. Though villainous hate sinks do exist.

They're also used to justify actions by the heroes that they wouldn't otherwise do-- after all, its not uncommon for other characters to hate the hate sink as much as the audience. The kind of brutal insults, physical altercations, etc. that would be excessive or be viewed as out of character in any other context are generally overlooked when directed towards the hate sink.

I personally dislike this character type-- not because I'm supposed to, but because hate sink characters tend to be flat yet are commonly treated with the same level of importance as the primary protagonists and antagonists. It tends to interfere with my enjoyment of the show as a whole too. But tropes are tools, and it can be used effectively as a foil for other characters' development and personality, not to mention that, if written carefully, they can make for effective villains.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, this is another DCEU related entry. Suicide Squad might have looked unique in the trailers, but when you watch it and are quite honestly assaulted by the ugly visuals, unlikable characters, CGI destruction, plotholes, technical screwups and deafening noise, it's unmistakable as Man of Steel's sister film.

But you know, I found stuff to enjoy in this movie, even though it was as troubled as the villains it portrays. I still really did not enjoy the appearance of one character in particular though. Can you guess who it is?? =D

jared-leto-joker.jpg
The Joker was the one character in Suicide Squad most hyped by the onslaught that was the film's marketing. He also happened to actually be in the film for about three minutes, and offer a great deal of nothing to the plot. Oh yeah, and he sucked, but I figure that's obvious by this point.

Suicide-Squad.jpg
The Joker's design in this movie is so fuckin' bad I would sacrifice my first born to be able to unsee it

And, you know, I was sort of worried about it to say the least. I thought Jared Leto was an excellent choice for the role, and I was worried a great performance would be overlooked because of some silly design.

Thankfully(?), Leto totally failed to impress anyway. Maybe three minutes wasn't really enough to judge it, but I think I got the jist of it. He can't do an evil laugh at any rate. He struts his crotch around a lot. He also sounds like Richard Nixon for some reason. Actually, that's hilarious. But it isn't good. There aren't really ANY good or memorable qualities to the performance all in all.

In fact, there aren't really any good qualities to the character period. He's a nonthreatening villain. His appearances are strange and confusing. (What was even happening in the nightclub scene? To be honest, I'd rather not know.) He says things that are SUPPOSED to be insane but oddly charismatic as is key to any version of the Joker, but the flat, unintelligent writing and the unrelenting randiness of Leto's delivery prevent that.

Hell, he's devoid of ANY key Joker traits really. He doesn't really make any jokes for a start. (Yes, seriously.) He's not clever enough to be the Joker, but not truly unhinged enough either. He lacks any substance to his motivations, to his psyche. He doesn't really talk about Batman much, and seems to be driven solely by his bizarrely very real love for Harley Quinn. He actually likes her in this movie for some reason. It is INTENSELY wrong to see the Joker portrayed as a character driven by sex, and tremendously shallow compared to... well, ANY other version of the character, most of whom exhibit asexual behaviour.

Sure, he wasn't in the movie much. Sure, a sizeable chunk of my hatred for the character is just based on him being named after one of my favourite characters. But I actually can't say I wouldn't be offended by this character if he wasn't what can generously be described as the Joker. Every uncomfortable, cringeworthy moment of his screentime stands as some of the worst shlock I've seen in any DC Comics adaptation, right up there with the sad saving people montage.

And frankly, The Joker is the Batman series' big bad, an archvillain of DC Comics as a whole, quite possibly the most famous supervillain of all time, and comparable only to the likes of Darth Vader in terms of popularity as villains and even characters as a whole. For once this diabolical villain deserved better than what he got, a fracture which has left his 71 year long legacy sadly, and quite irreversibly damaged.

You're next, Luthor. I'm coming. And I'm hungry. Ding ding ding ding ding.

• Thumbs Up 3