Awoo.

Would you like to see Silver in Sonic Boom?

Psychic_Paladin

Technically, the reason is that SEGA are prohibiting it so it's literally impossible to do. 

I mean it's fine to talk about how he could be fitted in theory, we just have that little caveat to note. 

I'm aware that Sega is expressly forbidding it, but the topic is about who you would like to see in the show regardless. People seem to say they wouldn't like to see Silver if allowable partly because of his backstory not being reconcilable with the show's canon at hand. My argument is that anyone's Sega backstory doesn't matter.

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

(no one pissed and complained that Knuckles was there despite his Sega ties to Angel Island)

Umm, that's precisely the exact opposite of how I remember it.

The thing is the show and games was suppse to bring new kids to the franchise yet it relies on them knowing their backstory ( looking at you Shadow)

The Babylon Rogues would be the best addition for the universe, honestly. They're explorers and thieves so they can provide lore and conflict, they were inherently comedic from the outset, and they have a nice chemistry with each other that could sustain B-plots and the like. We might also get more interesting action scenarios like the race in the first episode if they were around.

Just now, shdowhunt60 said:

Umm, that's precisely the exact opposite of how I remember it.

All of the bitching around Knuckles that I explicitly remember was that his design was too much of a change and was done only to facilitate his predicted devolution into an idiotic meathead.

• Thumbs Up 4

And doesn't that play into completely gutting his background of Guardian of "This Shit Can Be Used to Wreck Everything" McGuffin, and how that's basically what's used to form the context behind his original personality?

14 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

And doesn't that play into completely gutting his background of Guardian of "This Shit Can Be Used to Wreck Everything" McGuffin, and how that's basically what's used to form the context behind his original personality?

It's more like Knuckles' personality in Boom is the extreme logical conclusion to a characterization that was considered disrespectful and was already somewhat archaic at that point in 2015. He went from being gullible to a respected team mate through the classics and Adventures and even Heroes, to somewhat clumsy and easy fodder for physical comedy around the Riders/06 time, with an emphasis on noting that he wasn't gifted at all in understanding thick technical jargon. That's when people started getting really pissed off that Knuckles was now suddenly a "butt monkey" when he could've had a more respectable characterization as a serious yet somewhat naive guy who at least knows his shit about archaeology and traps (something noted in Zero Gravity as a much appreciated bone thrown to the fans). But Boom came in to basically amp the butt monkey angle up to 11, when the fact is with it being a new canon full of nearly infinite possibilities they literally could have written him in any other way possible. 

The problem wasn't his lack of ties to Angel Island. It was that they took the most annoying and laziest interpretation of the character imaginable, something that was already aggravating to people in a more benign form in the games, and ran with it as the end-all be-all to his personality. It's the same problem with Shadow. I don't care that they're not talking about ARK (and considering how hostile the fandom is to ARK I'm glad they just left it out anyway). I care that he's angry and trying to kill Sonic without a goddamn stated explanation.

• Thumbs Up 2

I would be too if Sonic characters not having any context behind their actions wasn't a norm.

The hell am I saying, of course I'm annoyed. Of course, this is Sonic, and anything fucking goes apparently.

• Thumbs Up 1

Most people were complaining about Knuckles being buff more than anything. I hardly seen any complaints about his master emerald duties being non-existent. Their backstories don't really matter because Boom is a different canon. Silver can be the kid down the street if they wanted to make him that way. I'm against him being in Boom because I really don't want to see a character I like turn into a meme.  

6 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

It's more like Knuckles' personality in Boom is the extreme logical conclusion to a characterization that was considered disrespectful and was already somewhat archaic at that point in 2015. He went from being gullible to a respected team mate through the classics and Adventures and even Heroes, to somewhat clumsy and easy fodder for physical comedy around the Riders/06 time, with an emphasis on noting that he wasn't gifted at all in understanding thick technical jargon. That's when people started getting really pissed off that Knuckles was now suddenly a "butt monkey" when he could've had a more respectable characterization as a serious yet somewhat naive guy who at least knows his shit about archaeology and traps (something noted in Zero Gravity as a much appreciated bone thrown to the fans). But Boom came in to basically amp the butt monkey angle up to 11, when the fact is with it being a new canon full of nearly infinite possibilities they literally could have written him in any other way possible. 

The problem wasn't his lack of ties to Angel Island. It was that they took the most annoying and laziest interpretation of the character imaginable, something that was already aggravating to people in a more benign form in the games, and ran with it as the end-all be-all to his personality. It's the same problem with Shadow. I don't care that they're not talking about ARK (and considering how hostile the fandom is to ARK I'm glad they just left it out anyway). I care that he's angry and trying to kill Sonic without a goddamn stated explanation.

This is the definition of a butt monkey.

Knuckles is not a butt monkey in Sonic Boom. He's dumb and goofy, and a lot of jokes come from that, but he's not actually a butt monkey. He was a butt monkey in Sonic X, though, which is part of why I don't like that show very much.

Personally, I like Knux's portrayal in Sonic Boom. I find him to be quite loveable and entertaining.

• Thumbs Up 3

And I find it to be the logical conclusion to the direction that SEGA's been taking the character for the past decade, and I fucking hate it.

Absolutely no. I don't like the designs of Sonic Boom, and I think Silver is one of the most good-looking characters in the Sonic franchise. I don't want them to spoil him like they did with all the other characters. Just look at Knuckles. He became a giant talking piece of meat. Shadow looks worse too than his normal design. His original version looks serious, sad and determined. His Boom design looks like less significant. I hope they will leave Silver out of this, and put him in the 25th Anniversary game for instance.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would agree that Boom Knuckles is terrible if his main counterpart was written well. Unfortunately, I can't find much to like about the main series knuckles. He's gullible and a guardian of the master emerald, and....that's about it. I can't think of one game where they actually explore that well enough ( Except for Sonic Riders). He can be pretty forgettable in the games he shows up in and that's not good. 

Besides Boom, the comics does a better job fleshing out his personality. But those two aren't even cannon so...

If silver was to show up in Sonic Boom, for some reason, I would be interested on how they will portray him. The games doesn't do much with him anyway. 

Actually, I could imagine the Boom!Silver being a mischief making time traveler. Like he comes back in one episode and fixes the future...but the rest of the episode causes him to fall in love with the past, and actually realizing he can use it to take advantage of Team Sonic. For example...

*Sonic's house*

Sonic: "Nothing beats a nice relaxing marathon of Comedy Chimp, right Tails?"

Tails: "Nothing does, and we can test my new popcorn machine!"

Sonic: "Tails...That's a bucket of corn..."

Tails: "It is NOW."

*Tails activates a button on the bucket, which causes a small explosion of popcorn around the room*

Sonic: "Ugh...I'm gonna be cleaning this up for a week, with or without super speed"

Tails: "But we got fresh popcorn!"

*Sonic eats a piece*

Sonic: "It's tasty, I can give you that mu-"

*Suddenly  a blue flash and a time bubble opens in Sonic's house*

Sonic: "Not this again..."

*Silver appears and shakes Sonic*

Silver: "SONIC! THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!"

Sonic: "Yes, hello to you too Silver"

Silver: "NO TIME FOR INTRODUCTIONS AGAIN. MY FUTURE IS IN GREAT PERIL!"

Tails: "How so this time?"

Silver: "IF YOU DON'T GIVE ME YOUR TV, THE ANTENNA MONSTER WILL DESTROY THE FUTURE!"

Sonic: "You're saying if you don't take my TV, the world will be doomed?"

Silver: "Sure am!"

Sonic: "How about N-"

*Silver has already begun levitating it out of the room*

Silver: "Thanks Sonic, Ol' Buddy, Ol' Pal, I'll leave you with the honor of helping the legend of time..."

Sonic: "Man...I hate that guy sometim-"

*Silver suddenly reappears, and takes the remote control out of Sonic's hands, leaving again*

Sonic: "...really...?"

• Thumbs Up 2

On 2/20/2016 at 3:18 PM, shdowhunt60 said:

Let's be fair here: Boom is an alternate continuity. It's no different to how they disregarded his role as a guardian of the Master Emerald in the OVA, and no one minded that.

Not that I find Boom!Knuckles to be an improvement of anything (quite the opposite in fact, he's one of the things I dislike the most about Boom), but it's the thing I say for every other alternate setting: different universe, different rules. We let other settings slide with their differences, we should at the very least give Boom that same standard, even if some of us don't like it.

11 minutes ago, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

Let's be fair here: Boom is an alternate continuity. It's no different to how they disregarded his role as a guardian of the Master Emerald in the OVA, and no one minded that.

Not that I find Boom!Knuckles to be an improvement of anything (quite the opposite in fact, he's one of the things I dislike the most about Boom), but it's the thing I say for every other alternate setting: different universe, different rules. We let other settings slide with their differences, we should at the very least give Boom that same standard, even if some of us don't like it.

I argue that's because OVA!Knuckles is inoffensive, if not completely pointless. Regardless, fair enough.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2016 at 4:14 PM, Tails spin said:

The thing is the show and games was suppse to bring new kids to the franchise yet it relies on them knowing their backstory ( looking at you Shadow)

What are you talking about? They shoehorned Shadow in without any explanation. And so far, there's been no ties between the show and the games.

On 3/7/2016 at 11:08 AM, Azul said:

What are you talking about? They shoehorned Shadow in without any explanation. And so far, there's been no ties between the show and the games.

I think the idea is eventually you are going to get it, a long term version of his story. They have those toys coming out this year, maybe they use him more.

On 2/23/2016 at 1:01 AM, ChaosSupremeSonic said:

I think everyone is giving it that same standard. I think thats why no one talks shit about the ova. Because its so good, it doesn't matter. People don't think boom is good so they notice. There is no boom conspiracy here, I think folks are giving it a fair shake, well some folks, its just not working out for em. 

Honestly, no. I'm not a big fan of Sonic Boom and I think they would just flanderize him like they did with Knuckles, which I really dislike. As well with what they did to Shadow, I'm not too keen on how they would approach Silver.

What? Sonic boom? That still exists?

All joking aside,Sonic boom is a spinoff series that I believe was conformed not to include any main series characters (minus metal sonic and shadow),so I doubt silver will appear.

• 4 years later...