Awoo.

Crazy Taxi

JeffCharizardFlame

So I recently bought and downloaded the Android port of the original Crazy Taxi, which gave me the idea to make a topic about the series as a whole, how we were first exposed to it, you know. Standard discussion stuff.

Crazy Taxi Box Front

For those unaware of the series, Crazy Taxi was originally an arcade game released in 1999 as a launch title for the original NAOMI arcade board alongside The House of the Dead 2 and SEGA Rally 2, with a Dreamcast port arriving in early 2000. The game has you, in the shoes of a taxi driver, picking up passengers and getting them to their destination in the allotted time while performing crazy (hence the name Crazy Taxi) tricks and stunts in order to not only gain more points, but to gain more money from the passenger after you deposit them to their destination. The Dreamcast version had more features added to it, like the ability to change the difficulty of the ride and a new challenge mode titled the Crazy Box. The game was ported to various other systems aside from the Dreamcast version, like the GameCube in 2002 and the XBOX 360/PS3 in 2011. However, aside from the GameCube and Dreamcast versions, the soundtrack was completely changed for all subsequent ports due to licensing issues. Most people recommend the Dreamcast port, but I personally recommend both the Dreamcast AND GameCube versions since they keep the original NAOMI soundtrack.

Then, in mid 2001....

Crazy Taxi 2 Box Front

Crazy Taxi 2 was released as a Dreamcast exclusive, further building on the success of the franchise. The gameplay, while nearly identical to the first game, had some new additions, like the ability to make your taxi jump. Aside from a new locale and new drivers (with the original four as unlockable), the game stayed on the same formula. It was a smash hit, and of course, SEGA wasn't backing down now, especially with the XBOX (and subsequently their new XBOX-based Chihiro hardware) on the market.

And of course, the sequel I'm referring to is the XBOX/Windows exclusive...

Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller Box Front

Crazy Taxi 3: High Roller, which was released on the XBOX and Chihiro arcade hardware in 2002, and in European and Japanese markets for the PC in 2003. Sort of the same fare with the other sequel, except now you're in a Vegas-styled locale and the original four are the main focus again. I don't know what all was changed off the top of my head due to my not owning an XBOX and just getting the PC version last night, which doesn't use the original game's soundtrack. As with Crazy Taxi 1, the original XBOX release is the one to get.

I'm not going to even bring up Catch a Ride on the GBA, because that game is more or less a bad port of the Dreamcast version on a portable system.

Fare Wars on the PSP wasn't really a departure at all either, but more or less combined Crazy Taxi 1 and 2 with new features, so I see it as a port.

But anyways, that just about does it. What are you guys' experiences with the series?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Failinhearts

• JeffCharizardFlame

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The XBOX was my first home console I was really invested on, and just like how Sonic Heroes introduced me to Sonic games and Jet Set Radio Future introduced me to the JSR series, Crazy Taxi 3 was my first experience with the series. I was really young, so I don't remember if I actually understood how the game worked, but I loved just driving around like mad for no reason.

I never played the first one until recently, with the Dreamcast Collection and I had fun with it!