Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

Well, I was lucky to get a Me last year through GTS...a shiny one it is (I have my doubts about how legit it is...but as long as I don't use it online I'm safe I guess). I already transferred it with everyone else so I can try the Mewnium later

I've transferred all my Gen 6 Pokémon over now. It's pretty cool to see the updates that some Pokémon now have (for example, Arceus can now change types with the Z-Crystals as well as the elemental plates).

Also, out of curiosity, I played through Pokémon Yellow a bit and transferred Pikachu to Sun (so I could actually evolve it). I expected it to just evolve into a standard Raichu, but it actually seems to evolve into Alolan Raichu for some reason, despite not coming from Alola. I wonder if it's just a Pikachu from Yellow that does this?

14 minutes ago, Captain Metallix said:

I've transferred all my Gen 6 Pokémon over now. It's pretty cool to see the updates that some Pokémon now have (for example, Arceus can now change types with the Z-Crystals as well as the elemental plates).

Also, out of curiosity, I played through Pokémon Yellow a bit and transferred Pikachu to Sun (so I could actually evolve it). I expected it to just evolve into a standard Raichu, but it actually seems to evolve into Alolan Raichu for some reason, despite not coming from Alola. I wonder if it's just a Pikachu from Yellow that does this?

No, Pokemon evolve into Alolan evolutions regardless of where it came from originally.

That's...actually rather dumb. That goes entirely against the idea of species adapting, because that suggests Alola itself just has the magic to change an individual's very genetic properties. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Huh. Could've sworn that those not originally from Alola would keep their original forms, even after evolution. Is this the same with all Pokémon with Alolan forms (e.g. Kanto Meowth evolves into Alolan Persian) or just the ones with Alolan evolutions (Pikachu, Cubone, Exeggcute)?

Just Alolan evolutions.

I tested it out with a Kanto Cubone. I even leveled it up in the daytime just to be sure.

So the only way to get an original Raichu, Marowak or Exeggutor is from the older games? That seems pretty odd (moreso with Cubone/Marowak than the others). At least it doesn't affect all of them, I suppose.

I could've sworn it was explicitly stated not to work this way.  What about Gen 1 Pokemon sourced through Gen 6?  Will a Kalosian Pikachu traded to Sun/Moon evolve into Alolan Raichu?

I'm guessing so. It might be that, since Pikachu, Cubone and Exeggcute themselves don't actually have Alolan forms, maybe Sun and Moon simply registers all of them as "Alolan", even if they were caught/bred in previous generations. After all, every other Pokémon with Alolan forms have their differences from the first evolution onwards, but these three only really change with their final evolution.

Then again, I've also been hearing that Sun and Moon won't let some (legit) Pokémon be used in the Battle Spot and other Wi-Fi features, because the legality-checking system of the game hasn't been updated to compensate for all the previous generation Pokémon. Maybe the Alolan evolution fiasco is related to that?

Glad the update is finally out!  Now I can finally transfer all my legendaries from Alpha Sapphire to Moon! :)

Just checked to see if other Kanto Pokémon also become Alolan after evolution. My Ratatta from Yellow still evolved into a regular Raticate, so it only seems to be affecting the ones with later Alolan evolutions. Still kinda odd.

So...certain players are being banned from online features in the games for altered saves. 

Then there are others who have legit saves/Pokemon and are still being banned for other reasons. One of those being this:

"... Even Pokémon transferred from the Virtual Console games are having issues if you evolve them beyond them being the first 151 (so, for example, Seadra into Kingdra). There’s also Pokémon with moves they can have in one Generation 1 game and not another being blocked from Bank (e.g. Mewtwo with Pay Day. Only possible in Red & Blue, not in Yellow). Also Alolan Marowak/Alolan Raichu with moves that Cubone and Pikachu could only get in previous generations.” - Joe Merrick, Serebii Webmaster

http://www.gamegossip.com/news/232506763/Thousands_Get_Banned_From_Pok_mon_Sun_and_Moon_For_Cheating

So yeah...another patch to this particular issue will have to be done.

• Thumbs Up 5

That sucks. I felt like the cool thing about being able to do the Gen I transfer was that you could have some of unique/crazy movesets that were possible via those TMs. Hopefully it gets resolved.

Actually brings me to something I noticed today. I don't have Bank but I figured with the update, GTS would start putting up some older gen Pokémon and I managed to get myself a Froakie. Only thing I noticed is that it's in a Quick Ball, and by extension, all the ones I bred also have that (I didn't notice what Ball it held until I had over a dozen of the little shits). It made me question the legitimacy, but as I recall, Frogadier with Protean could be caught in the Friend Park or whatever in X/Y, so it should probably be fine.

I was just wondering if this is the case with some of the other starters, because I've seen a bunch of Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle in things like Nest Balls, Timer Balls, Dusk Balls, etc.. Is it safe to assume these are legitimate trades/that people were lucky enough to catch a female to pass down the respective PokéBall in the previous games?

3 hours ago, Zaysho said:

That sucks. I felt like the cool thing about being able to do the Gen I transfer was that you could have some of unique/crazy movesets that were possible via those TMs. Hopefully it gets resolved.

Actually brings me to something I noticed today. I don't have Bank but I figured with the update, GTS would start putting up some older gen Pokémon and I managed to get myself a Froakie. Only thing I noticed is that it's in a Quick Ball, and by extension, all the ones I bred also have that (I didn't notice what Ball it held until I had over a dozen of the little shits). It made me question the legitimacy, but as I recall, Frogadier with Protean could be caught in the Friend Park or whatever in X/Y, so it should probably be fine.

I was just wondering if this is the case with some of the other starters, because I've seen a bunch of Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle in things like Nest Balls, Timer Balls, Dusk Balls, etc.. Is it safe to assume these are legitimate trades/that people were lucky enough to catch a female to pass down the respective PokéBall in the previous games?

Funny you mention that,  as this guide could very well be handy to you:

http://serebii.net/games/pokeball.shtml

From Serebii:

The Pokémon Company has spoken about the fact that Mega Stones for various Pokémon are not currently available. Giving an explanation, it then went on to say that the Mawilite and Beedrillite will be distributed through an entry gift for an Online Competition in late February. It is stated that the other missing Mega Stones will be distributed through similar means as time passes. We'll bring the information for all future Mega Stone distributions as it comes so be sure to keep checking back.

So... basically, Game Freak carved out over half the Mega Stones for no good reason, and are now holding them hostage.

...Game Freak has officially lost their goddamned mind.

Why was it so damn hard to just give us the mega stones through QR codes or Online mystery gift? Ugh.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even better question: Why was it so damn hard to just give us the Mega Stones through playing the fucking game?

• Thumbs Up 7

Because they needed an incentive to get more people to play competitions, duh!

Never mind the fact this just creates a larger glut of entries that have no real competitive standing, thus wasting the time of both casual players who wouldn't enter otherwise and those who actually are seriously competing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So you're telling me that in two months SuMo sold roughly a million less than XY currently sold up to this point (and said latter pair been out for about four years now)?

200.gif

17 minutes ago, TCB said:

So you're telling me that in two months SuMo sold roughly a million less than XY currently sold up to this point (and said latter pair been out for about four years now)?

200.gif

As of March 2016 X & Y were at 14.70 million, so S&M caught up to X&Y's sales of 2 and a half years in less than 2 months.

x0DFP4Q.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=963700

So, X&Y have sold 1.36 million since then and OR&AS sold 1.84 million.

That's more impressive than I thought originally. No doubt some of this success can be attributed to GO sparking new fans or/bringing back lasped ones. 

Now if a potential Pokemon "Stars" comes to Switch and can bring similar success... 

• 3 weeks later...

The Pokémon Company has put out a new note clarifying how the currently missing Mega Stones are going to be distributed. In the note, it explains that the Mega Stones will come through two means.

First, given as a present to players of Online Competitions, such as with the Mawilite and Beedrillite in the upcoming 2017 International Challenge February competition. Here, a limited amount of players will get the code ahead of a wait period of 1 to 2 months before all players get the code.

Second is just through a code that will be given to all players through various events/online postings with no wait period.

The method will vary depending on the Mega Stone and they intend to go through these methods until Summer. As always, we'll bring full details on the Mega Stone distributions as they come.

Oh hey, TCP's doing what they should've been doing from the very start. Though... "until Summer"? I honestly shouldn't be surprised that TCP is probably going to do what TCP does best, but that's somewhat disconcerting.