Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

I'm glad to see that the series is still going from strength to strength when they're changing things up a bit. Hopefully they'll continue to make each game feel (at least) as distinct from previous games as this one.

If you haven't guessed, I'm loving this game. It may have edged out Dishonored 2 as my game of the year (although I've not played enough of D2 to judge yet). I've not enjoyed a Pokémon game this much outside of Red. While I thought a lot of Y when it came out, I couldn't help but feel that it was lacking in a few places. Yes, Sun and Moon could always benefit from a couple more areas off the beaten track. Still, I never felt during my playthrough that the linear approach was to the game's detriment in any way. The post-game seems fine to me too. I'd prefer more, of course, but the main game itself just feels so complete that I'm good with what we've got (except for some lack of development for the Aether Foundation. That part of the story flew by a little too quickly).

It just occurred to me, based on what was hidden away in the games data, I'm really beginning to think this generation is going to be a short one:

You can usually get a good idea of how long a generation will last based on how many mythicals are in the data, and Sun/Moons only has two: Magearna and Marshadow.

1 hour ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

It just occurred to me, based on what was hidden away in the games data, I'm really beginning to think this generation is going to be a short one:

Reveal hidden contents

You can usually get a good idea of how long a generation will last based on how many mythicals are in the data, and Sun/Moons only has two: Magearna and Marshadow.

One guess that comes to mind is that the rumoured Pokémon Stars is packing a few extra ones, at least a couple more mythicals.  Perhaps GameFreak have been holding back some details for the big Switch release.  I know that sort of feature was talked about for the now non-existent Pokémon Z and never came to be, but I'm positive it'll feature forms for Necrozma and Marshadow. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, QuantumEdge said:

Hide contents

One guess that comes to mind is that the rumoured Pokémon Stars is packing a few extra ones, at least a couple more mythicals.  Perhaps GameFreak have been holding back some details for the big Switch release.  I know that sort of feature was talked about for the now non-existent Pokémon Z and never came to be, but I'm positive it'll feature forms for Necrozma and Marshadow. 

Unless they plan to release a patch for Sun/Moon to incorporate those new mythicals, that would basically make that potential Switch game Gen VIII. Or at least Gen VII.2

27 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

Hide contents

Unless they plan to release a patch for Sun/Moon to incorporate those new mythicals, that would basically make that potential Switch game Gen VIII. Or at least Gen VII.2

A patch could do as well.  However, I kind of hope for a Gen VII.2, since it opens up the potential of exploring more about the Ultra Beasts and their world.  Maybe there could be space for a few new ones, because as much as I really like the Alolan Pokémon, I still feel they missed out on a couple design opportunities (still waiting for you dolphin and platypus...)

Diamond and Pearl remake idea:

Dialga, Palkia and Giratina turn out to be, or at least have close ties to Ultra Beasts. They're all about space and time so it just seems fitting.

• Thumbs Up 6

9 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

Hide contents

Dialga, Palkia and Giratina turn out to be, or at least have close ties to Ultra Beasts. They're all about space and time so it just seems fitting.

Spoiler

I could totally believe Arceus being related to them in some way as well.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

I said this before in my little write-up about the game, but that's one of the things I like about this game's story.  The whole idea of the Ultra Wormholes and the UB's home in another dimension feels like a natural evolution of Giratina and the Distortion World.  The Dimensional Research Labs who are studying the Ultra Wormholes in Sun/Moon have some notes on Palkia and Giratina (and Bronzong) as well.

• Thumbs Up 4

Spoiler

I mean, Aether even went to Canalave library to study on ways to make Null stronger, so I think a connection might be there.

I made it to the second Totem Pokémon today, gosh I'm taking this slowly. :P One very frustrating new feature in SuMo is wild Pokémon calling for help. It sucks. It almost has ruined the whole enjoyment for me, but I've tried to ignore it lately.. Otherwise, it's been fun playing this, can't say it's my favorite Pokémon game, but very close to being my favorite region.

Spoiler

This game definitely has close ties with the Sinnoh games,  in a sort of way Hoenn was to Kalos,  from Type: Null's backstory to the research found in the Dimensional Research Lab. 

End game spoilers

Spoiler

I really hate having to fight Tapu Koko right after the league. I wasn't prepared for catching it and accidentally beat it. Now apparently I have to fight through the league again for a rematch. It's just annoying.

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

End game spoilers

Hide contents

I really hate having to fight Tapu Koko right after the league. I wasn't prepared for catching it and accidentally beat it. Now apparently I have to fight through the league again for a rematch. It's just annoying.

It's lucky that I saved my Master Ball for that battle. I usually just use it on the cover legendary, but I managed to widdle Solgaleo down with an Ultra Ball.

That being said, I could've really used that Master Ball for Tapu Fini...that sodding aqua ring...

I can'ta get the link now since I'm on the phone. But the QR code for Magearna is aviable at the Pokemon Sun & Moon website

Not sure if it was said before in this thread (only read the last 3 pages), but for those who dislike the S.O.S. mechanic in wild Pokémon battles you may want to carry something that puts the Pokémon Paralyzed or Asleep. Both statuses stop the Pokémon from calling for help, with paralysis making it permanent. Also, the lower the Pokémon's HP, the more likely it is to call for help. Personally I like the S.O.S. mechanic for getting Pokémon with hidden abilities/higher IVs/better Shiny chance, but I understand the concern nonetheless since early game S.O.S. made some captures longer than it needed to. :P

Also regarding cover legendaries and capturing them, since Diamond/Pearl cover legendaries have higher capture rates to compensate for their involvement in the story (some games pretty much required you to use said legendary in an event right after). Sun/Moon is a similar case as well. Just saying in case people are concerned about where to use the Master Ball and all that. With the exception of OR/AS' Kyogre and Groudon, cover legendaries nowadays can easily be captured with a couple of Ultra Balls in average (I caught mine in a Pokéball at half HP).

Hopefully the Magearna QR code is released in Europe soon. Haven't heard anything about it so far...

14 hours ago, Marcello said:

End game spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Actually, I knocked Tapu Koko out too. But I found you can rematch it immediately once you load the game after the credits. I imagine if you knock it out again, then you have to beat the League again to get it to respawn.

14 hours ago, Ernest-Panda-Baring-Gifts said:

Hide contents

It's lucky that I saved my Master Ball for that battle. I usually just use it on the cover legendary, but I managed to widdle Solgaleo down with an Ultra Ball.

That being said, I could've really used that Master Ball for Tapu Fini...that sodding aqua ring...

Spoiler

Actually, I managed to capture Koko with the first Ultra Ball after weakening it. The only Tapu that gave me trouble to capture it were Bulu and Fini

As for the Master Ball, I saved it for Necrozma

Honestly FUCK the GTS, just traded away a my spare Cosmog, Type: Null and Solgaleo for '6IV' Dittos that weren't even remotely close to being that. Fuck people.

• Thumbs Up 1

Why would you trade your Cosmog and Type Null anyway? You should evolve them first so you can fill your dex. Then think on trade them (or at least one of them)