Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

The large variety of Pokemon also contributed to X&Y's ease because let's face it.....there was a Pokemon for literally any situation. You could literally make a team of anything like Sean said, so you were almost always covered.

The "3D" in the Gen VI were crap anyway. I barely ever turned it on, and when I did it really didn't make less of a difference. But yeah since this is the 3DS at least improve the framerate or keep it as steady as possible when you have it on.

20 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

The large variety of Pokemon also contributed to X&Y's ease because let's face it.....there was a Pokemon for literally any situation. You could literally make a team of anything like Sean said, so you were almost always covered.

True, but to me it felt it was...how can I say this...too covered for any situation if you get what I mean? Maybe I'm just weird with how I enjoy my Pokemon games but maybe that is why I felt the games were way easier than I thought, in addition to the abuse of the EXP Share.

For this game, I'm really hoping it shapes things up from what the previous Gen had to offer, especially X&Y. Here's a few things I hope that they do here:

EXP Share

As much as I love the use of EXP Share being very great, but good lord did it make the game a breeze, most of the battles didn't feel very satisfying because of how easily overleveled your team can be and just steamroll through things. I hope that they give the EXP Share out to you in late game at least, or somewhere that it would feel the more appropriate.

Beginner & Challenge Mode

I mean come on, they introduced that in B2&W2 by giving the Trainers more Pokemon, smarter AI and better movesets or the complete opposite. I thought that was a cool difficulty selection for veteran players who have been fans of the series since the beginning and deserve more of a challenge or players just getting into the series. The only problem was you had to beat the game in order to get it, if you're playing either White 2 or Black 2 or hope that someone else has that version of the game for you to transfer. Just put that at the beginning of the game, please?

Rematch Battles

Why is that we haven't a proper rematch battle, not just regular Trainers but with Gym Leaders? I mean, ORAS actually allowed you to have rematch battles with Trainers that you've already fought on journey, just like in the games before Gen V. It really disappoints me that we never get to have rematch battles with Gym Leaders and I know that you could do that in Battle Chateau, but you had to battle many Trainers to get to the near highest rank in order to battle them.

I actually enjoyed the EXP Share to some extent, as I didn't feel the need to grind or place a weaker team member up front just to level them up. That said, it was definitely overpowered. It might be worth them making it an upgradeable item so it isn't so effective early on.

A challenge mode is an interesting idea. Some people complain about XY and ORAS's difficulty but I found XY fine and ORAS rather hard actually. At least, at the Elite Four. Other RPG games have difficulties from what I played. Well, Tales of Xillia at least. I haven't played many other modern RPG games. 

3 hours ago, TCB said:

As far as them having a full six Mon team at the most you'll ever see one in the main game is with five, but otherwise I totally agree.

Weird, for some reason I thought older gens gave later gym leaders full teams, but looking back, I was wrong. Not sure what made me think that. Maybe I've gotten too used to fan made hacks that specifically make the games more difficult. :U

So how long do we expect to wait before we actually see footage of this game? Weeks, months? I can be patient with this sort of thing usually, but with all the 20th anniversary hype it's gonna be a lot harder this time around to wait.

20 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Weird, for some reason I thought older gens gave later gym leaders full teams, but looking back, I was wrong. Not sure what made me think that. Maybe I've gotten too used to fan made hacks that specifically make the games more difficult. :U

So how long do we expect to wait before we actually see footage of this game? Weeks, months? I can be patient with this sort of thing usually, but with all the 20th anniversary hype it's gonna be a lot harder this time around to wait.

As far as footage is concerned I'm thinking E3 at the earliest. We may get a snippet or a teaser of something on the 'Meet Up at the Pokemon House?' Japanese children show (I liked Pokemon Get TV as a name more) along the way though, who knows . As far as screenshots CoroCoro pretty much got us covered on that I am sure. I'll be surprised if we don't get anything related to the games in next month's issue at least.

I just hope they don't dump a whole lot of free pokemon on us at the beginning like they did in X/Y and to some extent ORAS.  Before you even got your first badge you were given not only your Gen 6 starter but also a Gen 1 starter and the free Torchic with blazikenite I think if you got pokemon bank.  By the time you reached the 3rd gym the game has already given you 5 pokemon with Lucario and Lapras rounding it out.  I don't mind free pokemon but I don't want practically a full team of powerful pokemon given to me so early on.

3 hours ago, Moppsy said:

I just hope they don't dump a whole lot of free pokemon on us at the beginning like they did in X/Y and to some extent ORAS.  Before you even got your first badge you were given not only your Gen 6 starter but also a Gen 1 starter and the free Torchic with blazikenite I think if you got pokemon bank.

The Level 10 Torchic with its Hidden Ability and Mega Stone was the start of the Launch Title Wi-Fi Events that started with X and Y continued with OR/AS with the Shiny Beldum with its Mega Stone and knew Hold Back plus some of its regular Metang Lv. Up moves.

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

The Level 10 Torchic with its Hidden Ability and Mega Stone was the start of the Launch Title Wi-Fi Events that started with X and Y continued with OR/AS with the Shiny Beldum with its Mega Stone and knew Hold Back plus some of its regular Metang Lv. Up moves.

Thanks, yeah.  It was still a bit annoying though.  ORAS was probably the worst offender in terms of raw power it gave you with not just beldum but also Latias/Latios very early on.  With Sun/Moon I'd want them to be a little more conservative with the free powerful pokemon.  Especially before the halfway point of the game.

Can't wait to see the new games, although I haven't got a 3DS. I have played Pokémon games with emulators, and I really loved them. I am sure these new ones will be as impressive as the loved old ones! :) And happy 20th birthday to Pokémon!

If there's one thing I think they should consider doing (although I doubt they will), it's to make modifications to Mega Evolutions and how they work, both for new and current ones. By this, I mean change the stat and ability buffs gained from Mega Evolving to make it either less powerful, or make it so that the Pokemon that gets Mega-Evolved has to use a different strategy from the regular version.

The latter is because I think it would make it interesting to use Pokemon who operate one way in their base form, but operate differently when Mega-evolved. It would allow for entirely different strategies to be used thus keeping them more interesting than just being a pure stat boost.

The former is due to how I feel Mega Evolutions have gotten kind of out of hand in terms of stat boosting. Granted there are a number of cases where it is necessary like Mawile, Sableye, and so forth, but then you have Pokemon like the Mega Mewtwos, and don't even get me started on Mega Rayquaza. I'm not saying to completely nerf them to the point of being only barely stronger than before, but there is really something wrong when getting a Mega means that the Pokemon ends up stuck in it's own tier where everything goes when trying to beat it.

Also they really need to improve distribution of Mega Evolutions to more than just simply popular/powerful Pokemon. Farfetch'd, Delibird, Flygon, etc. need some love dammit.

• Thumbs Up 4

Generally speaking, there appear to be two kinds of Mega Evolution, which I class as X-type and Y-type (broadly corresponding to their game of origin).  Y-types all get better at doing pretty much the same thing that Pokemon did anyway, whereas X-types change that Pokemon's whole approach, usually with the addition of a new type.  The X-types are definitely more interesting, but quite often you have to ask what exactly makes them a "Mega" Evolution, if they're almost a completely different Pokemon; conversely, the Y-types have their own brand of pointlessness in merely being a more overpowered version of their original form.  It's kind of an awkward gimmick.  I think I'd have preferred to see a lot of the X-types just be regular evolutions, while the Y-types would perhaps remain overpowered but with their existing drawbacks magnified as well.

...On which note, one of the reasons I am baffled by the apparent jump to Gen VII is the fact that it seemed pretty obvious that a Z version would've seen Mega Evolutions begin to be distributed in a major way among Kalos Pokemon.  One of the many things that didn't make sense in-universe (though out-of-universe, it's fairly obvious why they did this) was that the showcase region for Mega Evolutions had no unique Mega Evolutions of its own.  Recently they even came up with that ridiculous Ash Greninja as a blatant tease towards Kalos starter Megas.  So what happens to Kalos now?

Or the fact there's only one Gen 5 Mega evolution, and it's a Pokemon that nobody really cares about other than exp points and the Mega itself is probably the worst of the lot. Maybe now both sets of Pokemon will start getting more Megas?

I really hope these games try out some type combinations they have yet to do.

I'm really hoping for Grass/Fire (what if it ends up being weed instead of chili peppers? lol), Electric/Psychic, Fighting/Dragon, Fire/Poison, Fairy/Dark, Fairy/Ghost, and Bug/Dragon.

Also we seriously need a poison type legendary already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Still waiting for a mosquito-like Pokemon that could be a Bug/Dark type. Only downside though, is that it would still have several weaknesses, few that are common, like Fire, Ice, Flying, Rock and Fairy. It's strengths would be being effective against Grass, Dark, Psychic and Ghost.

EDIT: Oh and another downside I was thinking about. If a possible mosquito Pokemon ever got a pre-evolution, it'd be most likely be another Combee/Vespiquen situation where only the female pre-evolution would get to evolve into Mosqubus (a combination of 'mosquito,' and 'succubus' I just came up with) since female mosquitoes are usually the ones flying around sucking blood. Though it would be nice to see the male pre-evolution get it's own gender-specific evolution, unlike male Combee. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, SenEDtor Missile said:

Also they really need to improve distribution of Mega Evolutions to more than just simply popular/powerful Pokemon. Farfetch'd, Delibird, Flygon, etc. need some love dammit.

I'd rather see Pokemon like Farfetch'd just get a new normal evolution. Or a change in base stats (they...sort of did that with some Pokes in Gen 6, but it was always only an increase of 10 IIRC), but that's a whole other thing.

Eh. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind Mega Evolution as a concept, but I'd be disappointed if it replaced giving older 'mons new, permanent evolutions. Especially when there's so many older Pokemon who could really use it. Hell, that's already happened last time around. Mawile, for example, could've been given a second stage. But now it'd be kind of redundant because, well, it has a Mega.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

CcP6LUmW0AEoNW6.jpg:large

Has this been talked about here? As you can see, in the Japanese logos for X & Y we saw what eventually became the mega evolution symbol. Now for Sun & Moon, we have these crystal things in the logo. Interesting thing is the Pokemon Reburst manga has these crystal looking things too. Those allow people to fuse with the Pokemon that is sealed in the crystal. Also, in the anime, Ash can currently synchronize or something with his Greninja, for a huge power boost. It's not exactly the same, but a fairly similar concept. IIRC the anime has showcased concepts that later end up being in the games. These crystal things shown in the logos don't have to stay completely true to reburst, being non canon to the games, but they could still use the concept and further evolve and develop it. It's interesting to think about. 

This also seems like the next logical step, I guess, after mega evolution's inclusion in the series.

Eh, I'm all for a good healthy dose of speculation, but reBURST is a spinoff manga and it's correlation to the crystals in the logos is passable at best. The anime may have a stronger case but I don't know it could be more in line with how that plays out.

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

I'd rather see Pokemon like Farfetch'd just get a new normal evolution. Or a change in base stats (they...sort of did that with some Pokes in Gen 6, but it was always only an increase of 10 IIRC), but that's a whole other thing.

Eh. I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't mind Mega Evolution as a concept, but I'd be disappointed if it replaced giving older 'mons new, permanent evolutions. Especially when there's so many older Pokemon who could really use it. Hell, that's already happened last time around. Mawile, for example, could've been given a second stage. But now it'd be kind of redundant because, well, it has a Mega.

True, I just thought that was an unspoken obvious thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is extremely odd that out of all the Unova Pokemon, they chose the punching bag that is hunted to near extinction for EXP.

• Thumbs Up 2