Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

Wow, it's not good, is it?  This is the closest to a recolour we've had in Pokemon since the so-called "Forces of Nature," and yet I think even they had more subtle differences between them than exist between Midday and Dusk Lycanroc.  Different hair, different moustaches, different number of horns, different weird tail thing - but with Midday and Dusk, once you take out the colour it looks like the only change at all is its forwards-pointing mane-spike.  There are all sorts of subtle little details they could have altered, but they just didn't; it really looks like they simply threw it together on short notice, it's not an organic design at all.  This is very poor - worryingly so, frankly.

8 hours ago, Ernest-Panda said:

Unless there turns out to also be a "dawn" Lycanroc, that's an odd choice of name. Surely "twilight" would have been a more neutral name?

And this is the icing on the cake, you know.  The name of the form and the way it's so clearly based on Midday Form makes it very clear that there will also be a "Dawn" Lycanroc that's a similar kind of recolour of Midnight Form, just so that we can have artificial Lycanroc version exclusives over again.

For the first time ever, there is almost nothing positive to say about a Pokemon RPG. The only person I've seen constantly defending all of this is Joe Merrick, and let's be honest, Joe defends literally anything and everything Nintendo does.  The amount of universal negativity I've seen surrounding these games is staggering.

Incredible. 

It's genuinely baffling how little we know about USUM.

Like...it's been a while since they did third versions or sequels, but I don't remember the pre-release of, say, BW2 being like this?

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

For the first time ever, there is almost nothing positive to say about a Pokemon RPG. The only person I've seen constantly defending all of this is Joe Merrick, and let's be honest, Joe defends literally anything and everything Nintendo does.  The amount of universal negativity I've seen surrounding these games is staggering.

Incredible. 

It's kinda funny really, everyone was hyped for a "Pokémon Stars", now that it's real, everyone hates it

1 hour ago, Celestia said:

It's genuinely baffling how little we know about USUM.

Like...it's been a while since they did third versions or sequels, but I don't remember the pre-release of, say, BW2 being like this?

It's almost like they're afraid to market it or something. Last year you couldn't get them to shut up about Pokemon. It seems like the widely negative backlash truly surprised them and they have no clue how to market it.

1 hour ago, CD Sanic said:

It's kinda funny really, everyone was hyped for a "Pokémon Stars", now that it's real, everyone hates it

It's real in a way, but not in the way anyone wanted. Putting these on 3DS was a monumentally stupid idea. 

Why the hell would the switch consoles in the middle of a generation? They'd straight up alienate a large chunk of their demographic so of course they'd be on 3DS still, save Gen 8 for the switch 

I don't even get what people are finding so unsatisfying about it when we barely know anything at all like what is there to criticize??? In fact where IS this "universal hatred"?? I mostly just see people waiting in anticipation for more news 

And Dusk form looks cool, don't get the hate there 

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah I'm not seeing this "universal hatred" either. To be honest I wasn't setting my expectations high anyway (something a lot of you still do, rate of news notwithstanding) when the thing was gonna be revealed on Pokenchi of all places.

I was unsure of the Lycanroc when first revealed but I'm warming up to it! I really like the colour and the extra neck fluff he has!

I'm still super excited for these games and am 100% sure they'll be way better than Sun and Moon. I liked Sun and Moon's story and characters a lot,  so  being able to revisit Alola and see everyone again with a different story is great! I really like the lore this time around too. Really curious in seeing how they're going to handle the Ultra Beasts this time around and how Necrozma ties into everything! Just hope Looker has an expanded role in these games!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Sean said:

This is the least I've cared for a Pokemon game. Ever. I might not actually buy these

Care to explain why, im just legit curious given the fact that we have like...almost nothing to go on beyond the ocncept of a alternate story, the fusion legendaries and now Dusk Lyancroc,....Idk I feel like there just barely anything to get conclusivley hype or unhyped about as of now I guess, its not hard to not care about a game when 98% of it isnt known is all lol

5 hours ago, Zippo said:

It's almost like they're afraid to market it or something. Last year you couldn't get them to shut up about Pokemon. It seems like the widely negative backlash truly surprised them and they have no clue how to market it.

But like...the backlash was over what system it's on. Sure, they may have been surprised by the reactions. But there's not much they can really do about it now, so you might as well market the game? If that really is the reason, it's a really bad one.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm fairly indifferent about this as of right now. I'm sure I'll still get it, but it's been underwhelming so far. I dunno if what made S/M initially exciting has just worn off (though after spending over 300 hours in the span of four months, I think I reached the upper limits of my activity back in March, sadly). I'm keeping my expectations low because I don't know what they can really do if this is meant to be an alternative take on S/M's story

Spoiler

(I'll hazard a guess this could be taking place in the dimension/universe Anabel originated from)

and after only a year, I'm expecting fairly minimal updates: some new forms, some new Alolan forms (possibly/preferably not Gen I related), and probably something standard that is only ever reserved for third versions/sequels/remakes since Gen III like the fucking Battle Frontier move tutors or bringing back all the Mega Stones and not locking most of them behind download events. Personally, I'd settle on a more challenging and possibly less linear campaign and a more substantial post-game at the very minimum (which may or may not involve more islands or even another region), but I may want to dial that back.

It is weird the games aren't being heavily marketed compared to the base games last year (I don't believe they were even demoed at E3), but either the upgrades aren't significant (come on, it's releasing literally a year after the last set) or maybe they want to save the surprises for closer to launch and the general public already understands what Alola is all about. I'm sure I'll have as much fun going through Alola and whatever add-ons US/UM again as I did the first time through (I won't be bothering with the Pokédex ever again, though), but I'm not bursting with excitement like I was a year ago either.

4 hours ago, Soniman said:

Care to explain why, im just legit curious given the fact that we have like...almost nothing to go on beyond the ocncept of a alternate story, the fusion legendaries and now Dusk Lyancroc,....Idk I feel like there just barely anything to get conclusivley hype or unhyped about as of now I guess, its not hard to not care about a game when 98% of it isnt known is all lol

There's just absolutely nothing shown so far that tells me YES YOU GOTTA HAVE THESE, like almost every Pokémon announcement has gotten me excited for the games in question, but not these ones. This is probably the most pathetic reveal and news trickle ever, I want to know what the fuck they're actually gonna improve upon in SM, not some damn Sonic OC recolor. I'm one of those people who actually doesn't give two shits about new Pokémon forms or legendary fusions, I care more about improved gameplay features and new Pokémon and stuff that actually matters to me on a gameplay level

Also "alternate story" sounds like "Pokémon Platinum" to me

• Thumbs Up 2

The initial hype crash is an anomaly which Nintendo and GameFreak can't have any idea what to do with, as the fault is really not in any respect theirs.  Rationally, there was never any reason to think, based on past experience, that they were going to switch consoles mid-generation.  It's never happened before and would in all likelihood have been an unnecessarily complicated process, porting the 3DS code over to the Switch just for the director's cut versions, when of course they will already have been thinking about the next generation which they could build from the ground up.  The only reason anyone had to believe that the new versions were coming out on the Switch was because of false rumours which unfortunately had relatively credible backing; I believed them, too.  In retrospect, Nintendo should have come out early and quashed those rumours; if they had, things would have been quite different.  But perhaps nobody could have predicted just how widespread this misapprehension had become.

With that said, Nintendo/GameFreak have absolutely compounded the problem since.  Clamming up for months was never going to get anyone more excited about the game, and following it up by introducing a virtual recolour of a Pokemon which was already a letdown is not going to help.  I'll be happy if they don't plan on spoiling most of the game the way they did with Sun/Moon, but they have to show something.  If they want to sell these games, they have to go on the attack rather than withdrawing.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Sean said:

This is the least I've cared for a Pokemon game. Ever. I might not actually buy these

Yes and..

5 hours ago, Sean said:

There's just absolutely nothing shown so far that tells me YES YOU GOTTA HAVE THESE, like almost every Pokémon announcement has gotten me excited for the games in question, but not these ones. This is probably the most pathetic reveal and news trickle ever, I want to know what the fuck they're actually gonna improve upon in SM, not some damn Sonic OC recolor. I'm one of those people who actually doesn't give two shits about new Pokémon forms or legendary fusions, I care more about improved gameplay features and new Pokémon and stuff that actually matters to me on a gameplay level

Also "alternate story" sounds like "Pokémon Platinum" to me

yes. You pretty much comprehensively summed up my thoughts of these new games. This is the very first time I'm not impatiently waiting to get the latest games in my hands. SM was alright, not my favorite games but I enjoyed them. Heck, I even got both BW/BW2, not for their release but a year later, and never hestitated should I get  either.

In a way I'm glad that Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon exist if it means that the game coming to the Switch is entirely new. I really didn't take well to Alola at all (I mean c'mon, a tropical locale just after Hoenn?), and didn't enjoy S/M, so I'd rather the first Pokemon switch game belonged to a new region and generation. If, however, we have USUM and then another Alola iteration for the Switch then I feel it's just overkill and makes USUM completely redundant.

Not that they don't already feel redundant. Sun and Moon are very much "just came out" in my head.

11 hours ago, Soniman said:

Why the hell would the switch consoles in the middle of a generation? They'd straight up alienate a large chunk of their demographic so of course they'd be on 3DS still, save Gen 8 for the switch 

I don't even get what people are finding so unsatisfying about it when we barely know anything at all like what is there to criticize??? In fact where IS this "universal hatred"?? I mostly just see people waiting in anticipation for more news 

And Dusk form looks cool, don't get the hate there 

That's exactly why people are so underwhelmed. They announced these games two months ago, and the only bit of information we've gotten is a damn recolor of an existing Pokemon.

Nothing on what's being improved on from Sun/Moon, what new features they added to the core game...it's just...nothing. So there's no actual reason to care at the moment and that's exactly why I'm disappointed, nothing so far shown has convinced me that I should buy these like I do every Pokemon game.

• Thumbs Up 7

So far, I've seen little-to-no reason to go and buy the game when it comes out.

The fact that it's due to come out in November, yet all we've seen from it is a 30-second teaser (that was basically slapped onto the end of the Pokken Tournament DX trailer) and only 3 new Pokemon forms (2 of which, we don't actually know which Pokemon they are) concerns me.

Like, this is all we've officially heard about it so far:

- It's features an 'alternate story' from the original games (most likely a Crystal/Emerald/Platinum situation, but it might be a sequel like BW2)

- You can catch new Pokemon you couldn't find in the original games (this one's a given)

- The mascot legends are either Solgaleo/Lunala with Necrozma armour, or Necrozma itself taking their shape and form (we still don't know yet)

- There's an exclusive Pikachu to promote the 20th movie, and a new form of Lycanroc that can't be caught in the wild (the most recent info)

...And that's it! Surely, we should've heard more than just this by now, right? While I may still get Pokemon Ultra at some point before Gen 8 rolls around (mainly for the move tutors, which are bound to be added) there's nothing here that makes me go "I need to get this as soon as possible!" or whatever. I'm honestly more interested in the Gen 2 ports coming out than this. I hope that more info comes out soon, 'cause I'm seriously feeling disappointed with Ultra so far...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

That's exactly why people are so underwhelmed. They announced these games two months ago, and the only bit of information we've gotten is a damn recolor of an existing Pokemon.

Nothing on what's being improved on from Sun/Moon, what new features they added to the core game...it's just...nothing. So there's no actual reason to care at the moment and that's exactly why I'm disappointed, nothing so far shown has convinced me that I should buy these like I do every Pokemon game.

Sure but.... Why do we assume it's gonna STAY like that??? Sure they've been hush hush about it but I've never really saw that be converted in to pessimism when it comes to other games that are secretive 

I guess the logic of "I don't know a lot about this thing, therefore thing will be bad/disappointing" is lost on me,  I've just.... Never really seen that type of reaction before when it comes to a games release is all lol , usually people wait to SEE what the game has to offer before getting disappointed as opposed to making conclusive judgments based on breadcrumbs 

2 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Sure but.... Why do we assume it's gonna STAY like that??? Sure they've been hush hush about it but I've never really saw that be converted in to pessimism when it comes to other games that are secretive 

I mean, what else are we supposed to assume? We can only go by what we're shown and what we've been shown hasn't been all that amazing. I'm not going to start thinking about things that aren't even confirmed because that makes no sense.

It's like this with every third version, so my expectations were already pretty low from the beginning so it's pretty whatever. Its just hilarious that the very first bit of information we got is a slightly altered Lycanroc and I'm like "lol" 

The complaints about it not being on the Switch got me wondering: did Black 2 and White 2 get any similar backlash for not being on the 3DS at the time?

It's implied in the B2/W2 Iwata Asks that they had to do something more ambitious for those games precisely because they hadn't moved to the new system.

Masuda: Yes. A little later, we thought of making them sequels. When you [Iwata] told me that if we were going to release something for the Nintendo DS system, we had to come up with something new, I was really worried. (laughs) Then I thought, “How about sequels?”

Of course, B2/W2 also had an extra year in the oven.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm really trying to remain optimistic that USUM is actually gonna be packed with a bunch of curveballs like B2W2 had that they want to make a surprise, but it's hard.

• Thumbs Up 1