Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

Decorating Pokemon pics with accessories that could be unlocked was something you could do with Super Contests in Diamond and Pearl/Platinum. I remember spending ages on it to get to the resort. 

13 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Also, what is this thing?

tumblr_ouvy4l4cRl1uwlqvvo1_1280.jpg

A 'perfect' form of Necrozma, perhaps?

With this new information, I'm starting to lean towards the idea that these game are gonna be sequels, in the same vein as Black 2/White 2. The presumably new location for obtaining your starter, the new areas seen, and the appearance of characters who were barely in the original games (such as Ryuki and that Elite Four golfer) make me think that this is more likely to be the case, rather than this being a new version of the original's story. Hopefully, we'll have a clearer idea soon enough.

The first details we ever got of these games said USUM's plot is a 're-imagining' of SuMo's story tho. So it's more like Platinum in case of the third version deal with plot but in the vein of there being two games like ORAS

If the games were sequels, they'd be hyping it up to the heavens and slamming a 2 right there in the title, because it would sell like hot cakes.  Looking at the slight differences presented so far,  it's possible that the AU justification is "what if the protagonist showed up just a little bit later," but even that could simply be normal extra-version shenanigans where things change for no reason.

10 hours ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I was pretty underwhelmed until I saw all of it's stats raise at once lol.

Yeah, that stat rush is kinda crazy, but that is not what caught my attention.

I never dove too deep into Z-moves. I've always liked other hold item mainstays over the vast majority of Z moves, but I have to ask how many other Z Moves hit multiple targets? That seems like a huge deal to me. The huge base power of Z moves means that the split damage isn't as much of a penalty in doubles for that particular move, as it will still have the power to 1HKO super effective situations. And the stat boosts are just icing on the cake. 

Teach that beast protect and he'll bait almost any Pokemon into rabidly coming after him as priority 1. You can't afford to ignore it. Even switching into a fairy might not be the best play...

I think Z-Moves are cool but mostly just from an in-universe perspective? Megas are the kind of thing that are exciting both in that sense and as something to get someone hyped for a game.

• Thumbs Up 5

Some saint out there has created a .gifv which alternates back and forth between the S/M and the US/UM maps, and it's perfect for picking out differences; see here.  GameXplain caught a lot of it, but in addition to various new buildings there's also a generally lower water level with quite a few new beach areas.

That's really useful; thanks for making it.  One thing I notice with such a high-quality comparison is that rumours of Brooklet Hill being drained are much exaggerated; with a direct comparison you can clearly see that it's just a colour shift.  I'm less sure about the Altar and that Gyarados pond; those could just be the lighting, too.

One thing that immediately caught my eye with the images side-by-side, is that the Alola Pokemon League (on top of Mount Lanakila) seems to have already been built in the Ultra version of the map. That could potentially mean that the Alola League isn't something that's still under construction during Ultra's storyline.

The first thing I noticed on the map was the image of this huge tsunami wave heading towards Poni Island.... owo;;

Think it'll be a plot point? Or is it just a neat map aesthetic?

volcano.jpg

Following the recent campaign over which Hiker is the best over all the generations, The Pokémon Company Japan has just posted a small clip showing the trainer in Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon walking up Wela Volcano and encountering the hiker at the top of the volcano where you'd normally find Kiawe. Full details are yet to come

Not sure what this means.

Enigmatic.  Could it have something to do with the possibility that they're switching around Trial Captains for the Ultra games?  Or am I reading way too much into this?

On 19/08/2017 at 10:30 PM, Roxas said:

The first thing I noticed on the map was the image of this huge tsunami wave heading towards Poni Island.... owo;;

Think it'll be a plot point? Or is it just a neat map aesthetic?

I think it's a cloud.

• 2 weeks later...

Those special Ash's cap Pikachu's are finally coming to the west. They're being released on the official site from September 19th.

Here's the catch though: you can only get one. Not one of each, just one, as in, you have to choose which one you want. The code only works once, and the Pikachu variant you get changes after a number of days (e.g. if you want Pikachu wearing Ash's Hoenn cap, you'll need to wait until September 26th to redeem the code).

Honestly, I think that's bullshit. The Japanese promotion allowed for players to get all of them.

It looks like it will be game-based, so if you have both games you can get two different (or two same, if you prefer) but yeah, it would be nicer if one could get the set, even limited to one of each per account.  Occasionally they go account-based, like the Pokemon Bank specials, so even multiple games only can get one of whatever.  Since I don't have a preference for any of the hats, I'm not sure which I'll get.

Only one of each is dumb. There's no reason they couldn't have made all of them available.

That said I'll be going with the original cap.

Ok that is fucking dumb. But I think I'm gonna go with the Hoenn cap since Emerald was my introduction to the franchise.

1481867669554.png

September 19–25: Ash's Pikachu (Original Cap)

• Thunderbolt
  • Quick Attack
  • Thunder
  • Agility 

September 26 – October 2: Ash's Pikachu (Hoenn Cap)

• Thunderbolt
  • Quick Attack
  • Thunder
  • Iron Tail

October 3–9: Ash's Pikachu (Sinnoh Cap) & October 10–16: Ash's Pikachu (Unova Cap)

• Thunderbolt
  • Quick Attack
  • Iron Tail
  • Volt Tackle

Shouldn't the Unova Cap Pikachu also know Electro Ball?

October 17–23: Ash's Pikachu (Kalos Cap) & October 24–30: Ash's Pikachu (Alola Cap)

• Thunderbolt
  • Quick Attack
  • Iron Tail
  • Electro Ball

Personally, I think I'll get the Sinnoh Cap and Unova Cap because I like the use of Blue in the designs.

Can I just say that all of these promotional Pokémon that are only available for special events or at limited times are shit regardless? Being allowed to get just one special cap Pikachu is just worse than usual.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah this is really dumb. Why do we only get to choose one? This is even worse then the usual method of how some of these promotional Pokemon were given out in the past couple of years.

9 minutes ago, Red said:

I take it we're not getting the Movie Cap Pikachu then? That was the one I wanted the most.

From Serebii:

These Pikachu are said to have different moves based on Pikachu's learnset in each saga, meaning they will likely match the Pikachu distributed in Japan earlier this year. In addition to this, details on the movie have come out and confirm that if you go see the movie through the special showings around the world, you'll receive a QR Code for the I Choose You Cap Pikachu to be redeemed in Ultra Sun & Ultra Moon. 

• Thumbs Up 1

In the future we'll be getting event-only Pokemon that can only be downloaded to a particular version of a game. So, let's say we have Pokemon Paper and Pokemon Plastic and the events are Mew Clone #57 and Mew Clone #58. Mew Clone #57 can only be obtained in Paper version and Mew Clone #58 can only be obtained in Plastic version

Then Game Freak announces another event-only Pokemon called Mew Clone #59. You can only get it by having both #57 and #58 in the same game.

Spoiler

You cannot trade them between games. Nobody is able to get the distribution except hackers

• Promotion 1