Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

It's a goddamn good thing Game Freak decided not to go with their usual policy of leaving features out of future installments to avoid making other games lose their uniqueness.

Hopefully they'll expand on it to include stuff like body types, and more hair options.

Now how about bringing back the Key System, eh? And stopping the idiotic "need to beat the game to unlock it" thing.

Here's my thoughts right now.

Pokemon Sun and Moon...

I gotta say I'm disappointed... It's awesome the chibi designs are gone now for the humans, but the graphics are still as bad as X and Y even though I love those games.

The starters are neat, but don't compare at all to X and Y, and Black/White starters at the moment.

The location, it was expected. I think it's nice, but again, severely underwhelming graphics and the music is still fake. I was hoping it would be an actual orchestra/instruments this time.

The legendary Pokemon are cool, at least the Moon one is, while the Sun legendary is just a redesign and recolor of Pyroar.

You can customize your characters coloration of course, but you still can't change your height or weight, which is a disappointment since people come in more than one shape and size.

All in all, a good game so far, but underwhelming.

If the NX combines console and handheld, they have what they need and need to get busy. And even if it's not a handheld hybrid, still, get f@cking busy. I'm sick of games with spectacular ideas being held back by lesser/inferior hardware just because of a "roots" obsession which is as unhealthy as SEGA's Nintendo obsession.

XL0FX50.png

I want the sassy seal.

1 hour ago, Azoo said:

They made the maps and characters big sized and less gamey. Just like I requested.

ITS ABOUT DAMN TIME. Thank you based Game Freak.

I wonder if they finally re-learned to optimize their engine like the jump they made from Gen 4 to Gen 5 (aka the visuals and 60fps battles).

I'd like it if battles wouldn't slow down if more than two Pokemon are on screen at the same time.

Noice; finally some Sun and Moon footage! It's pretty standard stuff but I do like that they've pushed the 3D further than they did in X and Y.

I can't say if I'll choose Sun or Moon yet, since it will ultimately depend on version-exclusive Pokémon; although I am leaning towards Moon thanks to the unusual design of the legendary. As for the starters; I am very much enjoying Eggstache Kitty. The owl's colour scheme looks a little washed out for my tastes and I can't help but fear the seal will evolve into some horrible giant sea clown. That said, we'll see what their evolved forms are like.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Eitarou said:

I'd like it if battles wouldn't slow down if more than two Pokemon are on screen at the same time.

I'd like it if the battles had better backgrounds. I'm actually pretty miffed over the bad graphics.

13 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

The legendary Pokemon are cool, at least the Moon one is, while the Sun legendary is just a redesign and recolor of Pyroar.

26868051601_0787a7edb6_z.jpg

pyroar.jpg

Even though I'm getting Moon, I don't think that's fair.

That's like saying Rowlet is a recolored or redesigned Hoothoot, Litten is a Glameow, and Popplio is a Seel, when there are design elements that seperate them even though the animal they're based on is technically the same species.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

26868051601_0787a7edb6_z.jpg

pyroar.jpg

Even though I'm getting Moon, I don't think that's fair.

That's like saying Rowlet is a recolored Hoothoot, Litten is a recolored Glameow, and Popplio is a recolored Seel, when there are design elements that seperate them even though the animal they're based on is technically the same species.

Put it this way, it looks like Pyroar got a Mega Evolution, it doesn't seem like a good Legendary to me, an evolution maybe, but legendary? Don't feel it.

I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far.

The starters, while at my initial reaction were kinda "well whatever," after seeing the video with them I've opened up to them completely. I'm actually kinda torn on which one I want to start with at this point, so I guess I'll have to wait and see what all their final evolutions look like. However, dat derp water doge.

The legendaries I'm actually really blah at out of anything. Theres something about them that feels a little generic, and kinda suffer from modern legendary design philosophy of "wouldn't it be funny if we designed them so they look like they can't move lawl." Hoping to warm up to them as well though, but right now I'm still heavily dependent on choosing the version with my favorite exclusives.

I am ecstatic on the return of customizing your character though. I hope the choices are tenfold of last time, even if XY had a lot haha. But the rest of the game is looking fantastic to me *shrugs*

• Thumbs Up 2

22 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I'd like it if the battles had better backgrounds. I'm actually pretty miffed over the bad graphics.

The graphics are fine for a 3DS game IMO, honestly art style matters more to me, and on that note Pokemon games often has a nice art style I'd say.

3 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

The graphics are fine for a 3DS game IMO, honestly art style matters more to me, and Pokemon games often has a nice art style I'd say.

Fine for a DS game maybe as I can recall some DS games looking like XY/Sun Moon, the Zelda DS games come to mind.

The graphics look last gen, no two ways around it.

Another thing for me is, I care about quality, not social aspects of the series. If social aspects hinders the entire game, that's not a benefit, that's a cost.

8 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Fine for a DS game maybe as I can recall some DS games looking like XY/Sun Moon, the Zelda DS games come to mind.

The graphics look last gen, no two ways around it.

Another thing for me is, I care about quality, not social aspects of the series. If social aspects hinders the entire game, that's not a benefit, that's a cost.

Doesn't matter that the graphics are not top gen, that in of itself doesn't make the graphics bad. Just like how Pixel art games are not bad.

And i've no idea what you mean by social aspects? Or how they would ruin the game.

I want Rowlet. It is a perfect little dinner roll of adorableness. (Your evolutions better not fuck you up.)

I was also leaning towards Moon because the legendary looks pretty mysterious and more "legendary-looking," but then I looked closer at the lion and realized this thing is a fuckin' Zoid. So yes, me and Liger Zero will be going on a journey together. 

On top of that, I'm slightly disappointed that the Moon legendary is a bat versus a rabbit, because I want to see more media recognition of the rabbit in the moon folk tale. xP

• Thumbs Up 9

3 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

I want Rowlet. It is a perfect little dinner roll of adorableness. (Your evolutions better not fuck you up.)

I was also leaning towards Moon because the legendary looks pretty mysterious and more "legendary-looking," but then I looked closer at the lion and realized this thing is a fuckin' Zoid. So yes, me and Liger Zero will be going on a journey together. 

On top of that, I'm slightly disappointed that the Moon legendary is a bat versus a rabbit, because I want to see more media recognition of the rabbit in the moon folk tale. xP

Huh? Which tale is that? O.o

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

Huh? Which tale is that? O.o

It's a generalized folk tale in East Asian and Aztec culture, because if you look at the moon right the craters apparently form the image of a rabbit. I feel like it has somewhat more of an interesting foundation to go on as a moon-based legendary, since I honestly think they went with a bat simply because "night time."

• Thumbs Up 2

Indeed, A rabbit legendary would had been more interesting to me. x)

A rabbit would have been cool, but I guess both Umbreon and Sylveon kind of went for the Moon Rabbit thing. It's not like it's completely unrepresented, but a rabbit type thing would have added more variety to the legendaries.

As for starter pick, waiting for final evolutions just like with BW and XY. Like when Chesnaught was revealed I was like "holy shit Chespin becomes that, must have" type thing.

Huh, this is the first time I've had difficulty choosing which Starter Pokemon I like the look of more. But, seeing as my brother plans to get Sun with Litten, I guess I'll be picking Rowlet in Moon. Nice to see that Trainer customisation is returning, even though I'm probably gonna be spending way more time than I should with it.

I kinda like the look of the new Legends, but nothing about them is really catching my attention yet. I do like the Moon mascot's design a little more, though. And having the region is based on Hawaii interests me.

Overall, I'd say that I'm more curious about Sun/Moon than before, but it hasn't fully caught my attention yet. Still, looking forward to further details.

Very, nice! I'm really digging the Hawaiian-like setting of the game, I've always had a soft spot for tropical settings.

I'm really liking the looks of the starters as well, to the point where I'm actually having trouble deciding which one I'll get first. Eh, I probably decide by the time the evolutions are revealed. In the meantime though, I'm probably going to get Moon, if only because I love that legendary's design.

The first thing I thought of when I saw the Moon Legendary was Count Bleck.

13177445_10201895045734965_4360267172586

If SM doesn't end with the Sun Legendary and Moon Legendary getting married to prevent the apocalypse I'm getting a refund.

• Thumbs Up 2

After the previous "reveal," (which was reairing the teaser trailer that shown a month prior) I had my expectations real low about what might be coming up, but I was quite pleased with what I've seen so far. I have a real soft spot for cats and fire type Pokémon, so I fell in love with Litten right away so I know I will definitely be starting with one. I'm a little curious if it will develop a secondary type in its evolutions? The other two look great as well, and it's especially neat to see Rowlett, who is most likely going to be part of the Flying egg group, a group that really hasn't shown up as a starter before.

Honestly a little bummed this isn't going to be on the show floor at E3, but hopefully we hear more in the coming months.

1 minute ago, Sonictrainer said:

CiGJrdVW0AEdyCC.jpg:large

The Professor's name is Hala

Holla for Hala.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm trying to think of Hidden Abilities for these guys. The Kalos starters got HAs that corresponded to their theme, with Chesnaught getting an ability that negates certain attacks similar to how a soldier/Fighter class can glance certain blows, Delphox got Magician because its a mage, and Greninja got Protean to reinforce the sneaky ninja motif.

Safe to assume these starters will get brand new HAs as well, and if the circus theme theory turns out to be correct, it could open up some interesting ideas.

I.E. Rowlet seems to be based on a circus maestro/ringleader, one that controls how the circus runs with its acts. So, maybe it gets an Ability that serves as a permanent Torment, to prevent the opponent from using the moves it wants to use at its discretion, because Rowlet runs this show here. That could be super useful against mono-attack sets, or certain coverage sets if Rowlet's packing Protect. 

Pipplio is a circus seal, evidently. Circus seals perform grand tricks and get rewarded for them with fish on scene. Maybe an ability that rewards Pipplio for nailing critical hits? Maybe with something like a stat buff, or to go with the fish idea, a recovery boost? It would learn moves that come with high-crit rates to make a viable set with the ability - maybe even get a water-type Frost Breath?

Finally, Litten. If going with the circus theme, then Litten is a lion/tiger used for taming tricks. Unlike the circus seals, the felines are often viewed as being more oppressed on stage due to the use of whips to control them....maybe an inverse of Pipplio's ability? It takes a critical hit, it gets an array of stat boosts to get it more focused and battle-ready? And at the same time, because the whip cracks are common, the felines would be used to them, so maybe Litten's ability lets it cut critical hit damage in half, so that the damage doesn't offset the stat boosts. Flash Fire and Water Absorb and Lightningrod completely negate certain attacks, so I don't think turning the boon of critical hits around on its head is a strange idea.

I dunno, I'm really interested to see what they get for HAs. I'd like to be close with my guesses.