Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

They really haven't touched on any new Mega's yet have they?

Do they seriously think they can distract me with all this fancy new stuff? I want my Mega Flygon gosh darnit. lol

(on that note - I'm kinda glad that it appears Mega Evolution will be relegated to post game. I was sorely disappointed as to how it was underutilized in the last campaign - but now, problem solved.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Said Oak is now 100% confirmed to be Samuel's Cousin, Samson Oak:

rrp0et.jpg

Regional Variant Researcher: Is This Professor Oak’s Alola Form?!

Samson Oak does research on the regional variants that have taken root in the Alola region. He’s a cousin of the Professor Oak—the famous authority on Pokémon research in the Kanto region. The two could practically be twins!

Hopefully if he appears in the Sun and Moon anime, he'll be played by Stuart Zagnit in the dub. :lol: (Though, a sort of "Alolan Ash" as Ash's rival voiced by Veronica Taylor would also be a rad idea.)

• Thumbs Up 6

In contrast to his cousin, people actually do call him the Pokemon Prof.  ...Well, it'd be funny, anyway.

In addition to Alolan Oak, there's actually another returning character people think they have identified from the Japanese trailer, signified by a name heading a text box with the speaker unseen:

Spoiler

Professor Burnet from Pokemon Dream Radar.  Apparently she's talking about Ultra Beasts...

While I'm at it, people also think they've seen the back of Colress's head at the Aether Foundation.

47 minutes ago, FFWF said:

In contrast to his cousin, people actually do call him the Pokemon Prof.  ...Well, it'd be funny, anyway.

In addition to Alolan Oak, there's actually another returning character people think they have identified from the Japanese trailer, signified by a name heading a text box with the speaker unseen:

Hide contents

Professor Burnet from Pokemon Dream Radar.  Apparently she's talking about Ultra Beasts...

While I'm at it, people also think they've seen the back of Colress's head at the Aether Foundation.

Spoiler

I guess they actually meant it when they said "It all comes together"

Of all things, I didn't expect something from Dream Radar to be in this.

Coro coro Scans are up:

corocoro10161.jpgcorocoro10162.jpgcorocoro10163.jpgcorocoro10164.jpg

The name of the Pokémon Rockruff evolves into is Lugarugan and has a different appearance based on if it evolves in Day or in Night. There are also two Ultra Beasts called UB02, UB02 Beauty and UB02 Expansion . We'll bring more as it comes

• Thumbs Up 7

So Rockruff's evolution is essentially just one Pokemon with two different forms?

I kind of wish they'd stop having all these alternate forms for everything but they both look awesome. Not fond of the Ultra Beasts though, the weird robot girl one is just the stupid anime robot girl thing and it doesn't feel like it fits.

Come on starter evolutions though!

UB2 Expansion... Oh joy now I'm getting flashbacks to all those bloomin' muscle expansion fetish drawings I occasionally run into on DA when I go fave diving. Doesn't help that the being looks like roided up mosquito full of blood... 

Well I think it's safe to assume that UB02 Beauty is meant to bear a striking resemblance to Lusamine, just as UB01 did to Lillie:

lusamine.png

As for UB02 Expansion... you got me stumped there.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh man, day time Rockruff evo is awesome. I love it.

Strange that both Beauty and Expansion are UB02. The antenna and hair make Beauty look kind of like a cockroach.

So, the Sun/Moon speculation on Rockruff's evolution, it being time-dependent, is confirmed - though it's really just one evolution with two forms.  It's rather frustrating that we don't know of any type differences between them yet, though it's hard to imagine the night version being anything other than Rock/Dark.  One wonders if the "secret" shared between Rockruff and the starters is indeed the speculation that the starters also have day/night-dependent evolutions?  Though it looks like we aren't finding that out soon; apparently Coro Coro's next-month scoop has to do with Type: Null.

Apparently the screenshots on the third page are meant to depict Tapu Koko fighting a different UB02 per version - Beauty in Moon and Expansion in Sun; as such, there being two UB02s may be story-dependent; in other words, it might be a version difference rather than there being flat-out two of them.  The connection between the Ultra Beasts and the Aether Foundation is obviously deepened by the resemblance between UB02 Beauty and Lusamine; the logical extension of a link between UB02 Expansion and Gladion is less obvious but not wholly out of the question either - the colour scheme is right, as is arguably the horn-like protrusion on Expansion's head versus Gladion's hair, along with the suggestion that Gladion is intended to be a strong character, the "enforcer."

Incidentally, Coro Coro suggests UB01 also has a fuller codename (akin to Beauty and Expansion), but it's being kept a secret for now.  "Lily," perhaps?  I don't think that any of the Ultra Beasts are literally the characters we've met, but there might be some kind of DNA hybridisation or something going on.

And with that, the "split evos" leak is relegated to being a second-hand embellishment of a more bare-bones original.  It got a few broad-brush things right, like Rockruff having just one evolution but with multiple forms, and Pokemon from previous generations getting regional forms, but every single point of fine detail it's introduced on those themes has been incorrect.  "Real leaks" is more of an unknown, since it's had both successes and failures.  It's starting to look like there's an insider out there who's been giving out both true and false information to various individuals who have then leaked it on their behalf; I think I've heard that this is a genuine method used by companies to try and feel out who's leaking information by giving particular individuals exclusive and false details.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, first off, Rockruff's evolutions are awesome.  The day one looks like something out of Balto, while the night one looks like a Digimon crossed with Wile E. Coyote.  Definitely a pair of winners.  Secondly, UB-02 Expansion looked less Pokémon and more an Eggman mech, like the Egg Dragoon and that's just fine by me.  Despite this however, I'm still a little peeved we didn't get the starter evos shown.

4 hours ago, QuantumEdge said:

Okay, first off, Rockruff's evolutions are awesome.  The day one looks like something out of Balto, while the night one looks like a Digimon crossed with Wile E. Coyote.  Definitely a pair of winners.  Secondly, UB-02 Expansion looked less Pokémon and more an Eggman mech, like the Egg Dragoon and that's just fine by me.  Despite this however, I'm still a little peeved we didn't get the starter evos shown.

There's supposed to be announcement on Wednesday so maybe that's when we'll see them.

1 minute ago, Johnny Boy said:

There's supposed to be announcement on Wednesday so maybe that's when we'll see them.

I guessed as much.  I just felt surprised that CoroCoro wasn't the one to reveal them, despite showing the evos for the past two generations.  It's just a bit out of the ordinary.

1 hour ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

UB03 is giving me Terraformas vibes.

Where did you see an UB-03? There's a 01 and 2 types of 02 from the magazine

So is the dog's evolution one or two?  The two evolution says ~すがた which is literally "~form".

It's interesting is that Moon's time is reversed (the scan say Sun goes with your real time while Moon will be the opposite). Never thought the creators would use it as part of the game mechanic.

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

So is the dog's evolution one or two?  The two evolution says ~すがた which is literally "~form".

Rockruff's evolution is just one Pokémon, but it has two different forms/appearances depending on what time Rockruff evolves.

Welp I was too busy to reply but of course I saw the news so here's my thoughts.

Firstly I love Rockruff's evos and I think its a creative way to have day/night evolutions. I think that I do like the day form more than the night form but they're both pretty good designs. The werewolf oddly reminds me of a certain Werehog with its long arms.

Next we got more Ultra Beasts! UB-02 Beauty and UB-02 "Expansion." Yeah Japan loves throwing random english words to look cool. Anyways they do look awfully like Lusamine and Gladion respectively. Its hard to tell because Expansion is a giant bara bug thing but it shares a color scheme with Gladion, both being black and red all over and both value strength as you can tell by being a giant bara bug thing. I think this just raises more questions on what they even are. And yeah Expansion looks awfully like a Yugioh GX monster.

I think I'm gonna do some research on leaks and what's been proven or not. I'm pretty sure that Rockruff's evo was slightly right, mentioning a werewolf but it didn't say it would work like forms. So we'll see.

Love the UB02 Beauty monster, very cool and artsy. Because they are not actually Pokemon I wonder if that means we can only fight them and not use them ourselves... time will tell!

And cool from the sounds of it that the starters may have alternate final forms as well.

I wasn't sure about Rockruff's evolutions at first, but having studied them a bit in comparison with Rockruff's own design, I'm starting to see the common features a bit more.  The dark brown areas on Rockruff, its paws and muzzle, turn white and extend farther up its body; its ruff and collar spikes increase in size and shuffle around, though the effect is far more radical on Midnight Form; the tail grows shorter on Midnight Form and longer on Midday Form; it looks like the fur colour on Midday Form might be a little lighter, though obviously there's a much bigger colour shift on Midnight Form.

My initial reaction was that Midnight Form was too different, and Midday Form not different enough, but I'm starting to see that they both have their own similarities with each other and differences from the original.  ...It still seems likely that Midday Form will remain Rock/Normal, though, while Midnight Form becomes Rock/Dark.  They are united by their double Fighting-type weakness!

2 hours ago, Crow the BOOLET said:

I think I'm gonna do some research on leaks and what's been proven or not. I'm pretty sure that Rockruff's evo was slightly right, mentioning a werewolf but it didn't say it would work like forms. So we'll see.

My recollection of what the leaks had to say about Rockruff evolutions was:

Spoiler

1. The "Chinese leak" said Rockruff would evolve into a werewolf.

2. The "split evos" leak said Rockruff would evolve into one Pokemon with multiple forms... but said that there were four, determined by having Rockruff learn Howl and then leaving it on a cliff on each particular island overnight, with the results being Rock/Dark, Rock/Fairy, Rock/Fighting, and Rock/Steel depending on the island.

3. The "real leaks" leak said it would have more than one evolution, one of which was a werewolf.

Basically, nobody got it quite right, though one leak was both more right and considerably more wrong than the others.  Either somebody was considerably embellishing the truth, or they were passed a mixture of true and false information (a known strategy to try and weed out leakers).

2 hours ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Love the UB02 Beauty monster, very cool and artsy. Because they are not actually Pokemon I wonder if that means we can only fight them and not use them ourselves... time will tell!

Well, the scans apparently have screenshots of Beauty/Expansion fighting Tapu Koko, so at the very least, it is possible to fight them.  The vibe I'm getting now is that they probably aren't catchable, though; I think they're probably too closely tied to the identity of particular humans for it to feel natural to capture them, though how close that bond is remains to be seen.

...Oh, right, maybe that's how the plot goes.  The Ultra Beasts go out of their way to beat up (and kidnap?) the island guardians, so you can't actually capture the island guardians yourself until the postgame.  I was wondering how they'd handle that.

Serebii has more pics and info on Lugarugan:

New images of CoroCoro have come out showcasing more of Lugarugan. In it, it shows the Midday Form being obtained in Pokémon Sun and the Midnight Form being obtained in Pokémon Moon. It also says that Midday Form has a move called AccelRock, which is a priority move, while Midnight Form has got the move Counter. We'll bring more as it comes

VhwUkl7.jpgCd6UUwN.jpg

Day time is so good.

• Thumbs Up 4