Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

Oh man, they look awesome in action. And they're Rock type as well. I love it when they push the limits of what a type can be, as most Rock types other than the fossils (and even then, mainly Archeops and Aurorus) are kind of mainly rock monsters.

One thing I don't get, is that why are they one Pokemon? Why isn't it just a split evolution like Espeon and Umbreon? Unless they change between them at certain times of the day, but we'll see. Seems like doing "formes" for it is just pointless if it doesn't switch between them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, you get Dayruff in Sun and Wereruff in Moon version, so it's game exclusive unfortunately, I guess it sense since one version is super focused on sunlight while the other on Moonlight.

I think that the version demonstration is just as an example of how they evolve at different times.  Lugarugan's forms are determined by time of day, and both games have both day and night; Moon just shifts the time twelve hours so that you're mostly playing at night-time, but night is still in Sun and day is still in Moon.  Because of this, a Sun player is more likely to get Midday Form and a Moon player is more likely to get Midnight Form, but it's not fixed and they aren't version exclusives.

As to why they're one Pokemon rather than two, I would guess... well, conceivably they don't want too many filler Pokedex slots, especially if the starters have a similar gimmick, but I would imagine it's also a demonstration of the significance of day and night to the two games.  They want everyone to have access to the same Pokemon, but they want your version and how you play the game to have an effect on how that Pokemon develops...  If it's one Pokemon with two different forms, I think there's an argument that it's a better showcase of the differences between night and day than two different Pokemon would be.  (I don't necessarily agree with that argument, but I think that's what they're going for.)  But since forms became a natural thing, there are now a lot of Pokemon that are just one Pokemon with different forms rather than two different Pokemon; for instance, if the Nidoran line had been designed now it would definitely be just one Pokemon with different forms per gender, like Meowstic, rather than two separate Pokemon evolution lines.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well

I'm in love, that's pretty much all I can say lmao.

And I guess there's a part of me that wants to believe that each form might evolve a step further, but I'm not really holding my breath on that. They look awesome and fine as is, but idk, there's some "incomplete" about their design; they kinda look like an "ivysaur" stage if you will. Anyway I'm super curious about their stats and am just crossing my fingers it's not this no-man's land stat ala Mightyena or something. I hope this thing is the fastest rock type to date and gets some love in competitive for stealth rock setter or something (assuming it will learn it anyway). Also day form's Accelrock sounds interesting and hope it's a viable move. Kinda weirded out that serebii noted the midnight form just having "counter," as if that's special or something lmao. Another thing is I hope they're both vastly different enough to use both of them since I'm pathetic. Lastly, I really do hope each get their respective morning sun/moonlight for heals.

These are some good puppers though and are quickly becoming my favorite Pogeys ever haha. Now just hopefully they get some badass abilities to seal the deal.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah it doesn't make sense to make them version exclusives cause both have day and night cycle, but their descriptions say that Midday form requires intense sunlight and the other a lot of moonlight so I don't know.

15 hours ago, Wolfy said:

Also day form's Accelrock sounds interesting and hope it's a viable move. Kinda weirded out that serebii noted the midnight form just having "counter," as if that's special or something lmao.

Well, if Wereruff has the ability sturdy (or if you give the little guy a focus sash) then he becomes quite the terrifying threat when he's carrying Counter. If you want to hit him for that 4x fighting witness, practically any fighting move outside of aura sphere runs the risk of him surviving it and OHKO-ing with counter. Then, he'll probably have the speed to mess with whoever you throw out next.

In a competitive sense, counter makes him an appealing choice in the meta, because it would be a huge gamble to use his weakness against him. He doesn't even have to carry counter. Just the fact that he could have it will be enough to make people think twice about hitting him with a fighting type attack. His biggest weakness becomes his biggest strength. He'll eat fighting types alive - and if someone wants to switch instead of dealing with that guessing game, then guess who gets a free turn to set up stealth rock.

It'll be interesting to see his stats. Needless to say, if he's a burner than he could be pretty good.

EDIT: Come to think of it, any physical sweeper not carrying a backup special attack will be terrified of this guy. the Garchomp's and Haxorus's of the world will tremble and fall.

Accelrock sounds like the kind of move that can cement the DayRuff's nice little niche.

• Thumbs Up 3

So, there was meant to be a new Sun/Moon update in the last forty minutes...

...but all there is is UB-02 Beauty and Expansion getting added to the Japanese site.  No video, no Lugarugan, and apparently nothing for the west at all.  A note on the Japanese site announces that the next update will be at the same time next Monday Tuesday (sorry, my mistake).  Could it be that they had more planned, but clashed with Coro Coro's exclusivity deal, given that the magazine isn't officially out until tomorrow?

13 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Yeah it doesn't make sense to make them version exclusives cause both have day and night cycle, but their descriptions say that Midday form requires intense sunlight and the other a lot of moonlight so I don't know.

Perhaps it will only evolve after a battle in which it's exposed to either Sunny Day or Moonblast?  :lol:

40 minutes ago, Thrippa said:

Perhaps it will only evolve after a battle in which it's exposed to either Sunny Day or Moonblast?  :lol:

Oh hell no, I don't want another Goodra situation.

That information was on Serebii prior to this, actually. Anyway, UB02 Absorption has me considering picking up Sun instead of Moon. That hulking bug is both hilarious and badass.

It's a "guardian deity" of Melemele Island, which as far as we know makes it more important than a Totem Pokemon but less important than Solgaleo and Lunala.  Indications so far are that it's wild rather than in anyone's possession, although it does seem to be affiliated with Hala in the recent trailer.  He is the kahuna of the island, though, so a team-up between them makes some sense if Melemele is under attack by a mysterious and dangerous Ultra beast.

Yeah I'm not really getting this whole "Ultra Beast" thing. are they supposed to be new legendaries or new evos? their designs are really not screaming Pokemon to me for some reason, even some of the new ones are giving me the same non-pokemon vibe.

1 minute ago, goku262002 said:

Yeah I'm not really getting this whole "Ultra Beast" thing. are they supposed to be new legendaries or new evos? their designs are really not screaming Pokemon to me for some reason, even some of the new ones are giving me the same non-pokemon vibe.

The Ultra Beasts literally aren't Pokemon. They're an entirely new kind of creature.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

The Ultra Beasts literally aren't Pokemon. They're an entirely new kind of creature.

Guess that explains the designs.

So no lore has been released about them yet?

The "lore" behind Ultra Beasts are as new as the concept Ultra Beasts themselves

So other than 'possessing a power that can be a threat to both humans and Pokemon alike', there isn't much to go on right now aside from hints and teases of two of them resembling certain characters.

• Thumbs Up 3

First it showcases off customisation, which uses Festival Coins and the replacement for Pokémon Amie called Pokémon Refresh
Next, it showed off unique Z Moves for Pikachu, which is CatastroPika, which does damage and Eevee's which is called Extreme Evoboost which summons all the evolutions which boosts all its stats by 2 stages
Next, it showed off a Pokémon from Pokémon Sun called Passmian which is Fighting-type with the ability Receiver which takes the partner's ability when a partner faints.
Next is one in Pokémon Moon called Oranguru which is Normal/Psychic with Inner Focus and Telepathy. It has a new move called Instruct
Rockruff's evo is Lycanroc, which is Rock-type with the abilities Keen Eye and Sand Rush in Midday Form and Rock in Midnight Form with Keen Eye and Vital Spirit

Lycanroc (Great name by the way) Midday Form is another reason to get Sun. Midnight form bothers me. It seems like it should've of been a separate Dark/Fighting evolution.

Oranguru looks really cool. I might use one in my team. (Edit: It seems Oranguru is exclusive to Moon...)

I literally laughed out loud at Eevee's Z-Attack.