Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

So Lycanroc (a.k.a. Rockruff's evolution) really is version-exclusive?  ...That's really dumb, I'm afraid.  They're just going to make it time-dependent in future games, so why not cut out the middleman rather than railroading you into a particular evolution of this faithful pooch?  Not sure I'm behind it being pure-Rock, either...

Passimian was way back in the Chinese leak as a "football monkey," so that's another confirmation.  Its Receiver ability and Oranguru's Instruct look pretty neat!  If useless in single battle, anyway; I hope there'll be plenty of double battles in the plot.

...And apparently the next update is two weeks from now, on October 4th - same time, same place.

• Thumbs Up 1

Annoying Pokemon Bank info:

If you transfer a Pokémon to Pokémon Bank and then on to Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon from Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y, you’ll be unable to transfer it back to Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y.

That sucks. :-/ I knew that would be the case with past Generations, but I thought starting Gen 6 I'd be able to move them back and forth at will...

When I realized Eevee was getting a Z-Move, I immediately imagined something like Mega Man's Final Smash, with Eevee somehow summoning all of it's evolutions. Turns out I was sort of right, though instead of attacking, they show up to boost it's stats. I actually hadn't expected to see status Z-Moves, so that's pretty interesting.

• Thumbs Up 7

The only thing I could think of about Extreme Evoboost was how that was going to get the instant banhammer in Little Cup.

Eevee getting a +2 in every stat automatically? Slap a speed-boosting nature on it, or maybe Choice Scarf if it doesn't affect Z-moves, activate it, and have a blast for the entire battle.

LOL, that Eevee Z-Move is beyond all show and no go.  Like Passimian and Oranguru.  Not exactly ones I'd definitely want to have on my main team, but they're nice enough.  It kinda sucks about Lycanroc's handling though.  First off, making them version exclusives feels really stingy.  Secondly, why does its midnight form stay rock?  I'm pretty sure it's move set will be using a fair bit of dark type moves, but why didn't they make it half dark in its typing as well?  Don't get me wrong, it's one epic Pokémon, in both forms, but there's a level of logic that I feel is missing.

Also, rugby monkey confirmed.  Ash-Greninja, Dolphin and snowman are all but confirmed at this point.

• Thumbs Up 3

No go? Having all your stats raised sharply in a single turn is nothing to scoff at. Geomancy only sharply raises 3 stats, takes 2 turns, and is one of the best moves in the freakin' game.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyajins said:

No go? Having all your stats raised sharply in a single turn is nothing to scoff at. Geomancy only sharply raises 3 stats, takes 2 turns, and is one of the best moves in the freakin' game.

My experiences with the games have left me indifferent towards stat changing moves.  I'm more for getting on the attack, or setting in the special conditions, as soon as possible.  I only really use stat changing ones when there's little other choice.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, QuantumEdge said:

My experiences with the games have left me indifferent towards stat changing moves.  I'm more for getting on the attack, or setting in the special conditions, as soon as possible.  I only really use stat changing ones when there's little other choice.

Well, there's more to Pokemon that the in-game story. Granted, Eevee is practically worthless in the competitive scene, but maybe Z-moves will be allowed in Little Cup, and Eevee can be a monster there.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you transfer a Pokémon to Pokémon Bank and then on to Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon from Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y, you’ll be unable to transfer it back to Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y.

Seriously, Game Freak? I expected this for Gen I since its battle system is so different, but for Gen VI? They're on the same console, they're connected by the same service, hell the engine doesn't even look that drastically different. If I hadn't beaten both Gen VI games already I'd feel iffy about transferring legendaries over in case I wanted to use them without taking badge requirements into consideration.

• Thumbs Up 1

In terms of Pokemon Bank's handling of Gen 6-to-Gen 7 transfers, I think there are some reasons as to why it's a one-way system:

1. Some Pokemon might be getting mild stat buffs, like they did between Gens 5 & 6. Maybe they can only re-adjust stats one way.
  2. They probably don't want people to send certain Pokemon from Gen 7 back to Gen 6, namely the ones that now have Alolan forms.
  3. Maybe it's just to do with the programming between games? They might not look much different, but there's likely still enough tweaks in Gen 7 to validate a lack of back-and-forth transferring. But I'm not a programmer or game designer, so I could easily be wrong about this.

Anyway, the new Pokemon. I think Oranguru looks alright, and its Instruct move could have some uses, maybe even outside of Double & Triple battles. Passimian also looks to be an interesting Pokemon, but its ability definitely seems more (only?) usable in Doubles/Triples. But Lycanroc... is pretty disappointing, all things considered. Rock type doesn't really stand out on its own, and being version exclusive strikes me as a very odd move to make. Then again, it could just be that Lycanroc's form is actually time-dependent, but they've labelled them as 'version-exclusive' because of the time-shift between versions (making it more likely to get a particular form in one version over the other). If it is truly version-exclusive, though, then I agree that it's disappointing.

As for the new Z-Moves, Pikachu getting one doesn't surprise me in the slightest (even though Alolan Raichu appears to get one, too) and I'm totally expecting Ash to get one for his Pikachu at some point in the new anime. I found Eevee's one to be pretty funny, but a +2 stat-buff to ALL stats (minus Evasion and Accuracy) certainly isn't something to laugh at (unless that Eevee is yours, of course). At least it'll give Eevee an edge in the Little Cup (unless it gets banned).

• Thumbs Up 2

If Oranguru was going to use Instruct in Singles, he's better off doing Encore. Keeps them locked in the move for more than a single turn while he gets to setup.

By using Instruct in Doubles, he gets to have his teammate effectively do double damage with no risk other than a single power point.

So, I looked up Lycanroc's descriptions on the main S&M website and... yeah, looks like they're definitely version-exclusive. Each one specifically mentions that the form differences are due to Solgaleo's power in Sun, and Lunala's power in Moon.

Judging by their descriptions, it also sounds like Midday Lycanroc is a more Speed-oriented Pokemon, while Midnight Lycanroc is more Attack-focused (perhaps with a lack of Defense, too). I still intend to get Moon myself, but it disappoints me further that Lycanroc only seems to get a signature move in Midday Form.

Edited by Captain Metallix

Here's the info and official artwork recap:

section01_image02.jpg

New Pokémon

Two Ways Rockruff Evolves
Rockruff evolves into a different form of Lycanroc depending on which game you're playing. In Pokémon Sun, it will evolve into Lycanroc's Midday Form. In Pokémon Moon, Rockruff will evolve into Lycanroc's Midnight Form.

lycanroc_midday_form.png

portrait02.pngportrait03.png

• Lycanroc (Midday Form)
  • Category: Wolf Pokémon
  • Type: Rock
  • Height: 2’07”
  • Weight: 55.1 lbs.
  • Ability: Keen Eye/Sand Rush

When Rockruff is bathed in profuse amounts of solar energy, it evolves into its Midday Form. In the world of Pokémon Sun, Solgaleo’s influence causes Rockruff to evolve into this form.

Lycanroc lives solo in mountains and deserts, not creating a pack. Each has its own territory, and they live without interfering with one another, which helps to avoid unnecessary fights.

Lycanroc obeys its Trainer’s orders dutifully. In particular, if a Trainer accepted it during its more rebellious pre-Evolution period, Lycanroc will never ever betray that Trainer and will be the most loyal of partners.

The Midday Form Lycanroc is known for speedy movements that leave its opponents bewildered. It dodges opponents’ strikes while attacking with the sharp rocks of its mane as it slips right past them.

Accelerock is a move that only Midday Form Lycanroc can learn. It slams into an opponent with quick moves. This move is guaranteed to strike first!

lycanroc_midnight_form.png

portrait02.pngportrait03.png

• Lycanroc (Midnight Form)
  • Category: Wolf Pokémon
  • Type: Rock
  • Height: 3’07”
  • Weight: 55.1 lbs.
  • Ability: Keen Eye/Vital Spirit

When Rockruff is bathed in an abundance of lunar energy, it evolves into its Midnight Form. In the world of Pokémon Moon, Lunala’s influence causes Rockruff to evolve into this form.

Midnight Form Lycanroc provokes its opponents by pressing in hard and inviting their attack. When an opponent falls for this tactic and attacks, Lycanroc counters with its forte: a single devastating blow that finishes off its foe! The stronger its opponent is, the more excited for battle Lycanroc becomes. It doesn’t mind getting hurt if it means victory in battle. Battles thrill it so much that its eyes glow.

Contempt rises in this Pokémon for Trainers who give orders it doesn’t agree with or who try to force it to battle. On the other hand, it will feel a deep trust in a Trainer who can truly draw forth its power in battle.

Counter is a move that Rockruff can learn when it evolves into Midnight Form Lycanroc. When Lycanroc takes physical damage from an opponent, it deals double that damage back to the same opponent.

passimian.png

• Passimian
  • Category: Teamwork Pokémon
  • Type: Fighting
  • Height: 6’07”
  • Weight: 182.5 lbs.
  • Ability: Receiver

Passimian is a Pokémon that only appears in Pokémon Sun. If you’re playing Pokémon Moon, you can obtain it by trading with someone playing Pokémon Sun.

Passimian live in troops of 20 to 30 individuals, all following a leader. This leader will take 10 of the individuals in the best condition to search for food. The troop’s teamwork is strong, and the boss of each troop decides what mark members will wear on their arms to distinguish the troops.

The boss puts the troop members through training to improve their coordination with one another and their skill in handling Berries. Apparently this training is so hard that some Passimian end up running away.

Lobbing Berries at foes is how Passimian attack. They sometimes work in coordination with others, passing Berries back and forth to bewilder their opponents. Passimian don’t just pitch hard Berries at opponents, either—they also have a technique that uses soft Berries to obscure their opponent’s ability to see.

Passimian wants its Trainer to have the qualities of a leader as well. It watches a Trainer’s form closely when he or she throws Poké Balls, and will not listen to the orders of a Trainer with poor form.

Passimian has a new Ability, Receiver, which no other Pokémon has previously had. With the Receiver Ability, this Pokémon can inherit the Ability of an ally who faints in battle.

oranguru.png

• Oranguru
  • Category: Sage Pokémon
  • Type: Normal/Psychic
  • Height: 4’11”
  • Weight: 167.6 lbs.
  • Ability: Inner Focus/Telepathy

Oranguru is a Pokémon that appears only in Pokémon Moon. If you’re playing Pokémon Sun, you can obtain it by trading with someone playing Pokémon Moon.

Oranguru live solitary lives deep in the forests and do not usually take much action. Instead, they position themselves high up in the trees to meditate. Long ago, people thought that Oranguru were humans who dwelled in the forest depths, so they called them “the people of the forests.” Oranguru is kind to the other Pokémon living in the forest, providing medicine for injured Pokémon and food for the hungry.

Oranguru sometimes act on their own initiative and will use items that only humans normally use. From a Trainer’s perspective, they can be hard Pokémon to handle at times. Allegedly, there have been sightings of Oranguru using Poké Balls!

The fan-like objects held by Oranguru are handmade by the Oranguru themselves. These fans appear to be made of layers of leaves bound together with Oranguru’s own fur.

Instruct is a move that only Oranguru can learn. It can make the selected target use its most recent move again immediately.

Pokémon Refresh

banner.png

Use the Pokémon Refresh feature to care for your Pokémon. After a battle, Pokémon sometimes end up all dirty. When that happens, you can take care of them and get them all cleaned up. By caring for your Pokémon, you can also cure status conditions like poisoning and paralysis that were inflicted on your Pokémon in battle.

Pokémon that have grown very affectionate, thanks to petting them a lot and feeding them their beloved Poké Beans, will battle to the utmost for you. Sometimes they’ll avoid attacks from opposing Pokémon—and even hold out when they’re on the verge of fainting. Take good care of your Pokémon with Pokémon Refresh, and they’ll be great allies on your adventure!

New Pokémon-Exclusive Z-Moves

tumblr_odtje1mx9S1qff2poo6_400.gif

Catastropika
Pikachu’s exclusive Z-Move, Catastropika, is a superpowered attack move where Pikachu borrows its Trainer’s strength, wrapping itself in extra-high-voltage electric power, and charging into its opponent. This will become Pikachu’s most powerful attack!

tumblr_odt2tedA021rsee7ho3_400.gif

Extreme Evoboost
Eevee’s exclusive Z-Move, Extreme Evoboost, gathers together Sylveon, Jolteon, and more—all of the eight Pokémon that Eevee can evolve into—and grants their power to Eevee. This powerful move raises Eevee’s Attack, Defense, Sp. Atk, Sp. Def, and Speed by 2.

Bank and Transporter Updates

tumblr_odt1f9lU841r8sc3ro1_1280.png

Bring in Pokémon from Past Adventures
In January 2017, the Nintendo 3DS downloadable software Pokémon Bank is expected to receive an update for compatibility with Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. Pokémon Bank is an application that enables you to put Pokémon you’ve collected in your games into Internet-based storage boxes. Until now this service has been available for Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y. Starting in early 2017, it will support Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon as well.

With this update, the Pokémon that adventured with you in Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y will be able to join you in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon!

Pokémon Bank Notes

You can’t deposit Pokémon holding items into Pokémon Bank. If you try to deposit a Pokémon with a held item, that item will be sent back to the original game.

Poké Transporter Also Updated
Poké Transporter is also being updated for compatibility with the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, and Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition. Deposit the Pokémon you’ve collected into Pokémon Bank, and you can send them to Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon as well.

Poké Transporter Notes
If you use Poké Transporter to move Pokémon from the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, or Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition, they can only be sent to Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon. They can’t be sent to Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, or Pokémon Y.

Pokémon moved to Pokémon Bank using Poké Transporter can’t be returned to the Virtual Console versions of Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, Pokémon Yellow: Special Pikachu Edition, or to Pokémon Black 2, Pokémon White 2, Pokémon Black Version, or Pokémon White Version.

You can’t deposit Pokémon holding items into Pokémon Bank. If you try to deposit a Pokémon with a held item, that item will be sent back to the original game.

tumblr_inline_odt7nzZd4X1qa9qvj_540.jpg

A new National Pokédex feature is coming to help you check out the particulars of the Pokémon you’ve deposited!
When Pokémon Bank is updated to support Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon, it will also gain a new Pokédex feature.

The application will read your saved data from any games* you connect with it, collecting information about Pokémon you’ve caught, so you can check it.

Using the Pokédex feature in Pokémon Bank, you’ll be able to see this information—even about Pokémon that don’t appear in the Alola region of Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.

*The games that can connect with this Pokédex function are Pokémon Sun, Pokémon Moon, Pokémon Omega Ruby, Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Pokémon X, and Pokémon Y.

Next News Update

The official site promises new information on October 4th at 22:00 JST, which is 14:00 BST, 09:00 EDT, 06:00 PDT

• Thumbs Up 4

Well...guess it'll be via trading to get a Midnight Lycanroc...only to find out that everyone will still be asking for Genesect and Meloetta in Sun/Moon....I still have Passimian that looks good

• Thumbs Up 2

Passimian clearly looks to be a potentially viable player in Doubles. Orangish...dont know need to see its stats and such to determine its role.

As for the new Bank news....a National Pokedex update is looooong time coming I'm happily looking forward to. As for the one way restrictions...not that disappointed but eh, would have been nice if that restriction, well, wasn't one. So it basically plays out like the one way transfers between Gen 3-to-4 & 4-5 if certain parameters are in place.

I'm very sad Lycanroc Midnight is just plain Rock type, I mean it looks like it should be part Fighting or Dark. Also it doesn't get any exclusive new move either.

That and Pikachu's Z move is kinda worthless, I'd rather have one holding a Light ball honestly, Pikachu by itself is too weak and fragile to be dissing out big damage or surviving hits, likewise Eevee is also extremely risky cause even with those stat boost, it's still one of the slower, weaker mon's that could still die in a single hit to just about anything and wouldn't even be able to get off a Baton Pass.

Of course if it's a little League fight and general early game, it's no problem

But the two apes, these guys are impressive for Doubles, I definately see them getting a presence in VGC. Cause who can't resist a double Mega Kanghaskan Return?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm also loving the more advanced trainer customization. I always felt XY's was really lacking, so to see so many options to customize your trainer's appearance is a very welcome sight.

• Thumbs Up 1

Regarding Passimian, does the website say anything about its ability being strictly for double battles? I know the move Retaliate works similarly in that it gains double power after a teammate faints, but this applies to single battles, as well. I'm wondering if it's possible that Passinian could be switched in after another Pokemon faints and gain its ability upon switch-in.

Sent from my RCT6773W42B using Tapatalk

Lycanroc is just a whole pile of confusion. Why make the evolution forms version exclusive when it's something that's going to be a pain to keep up generations in the future?

The cynical side of me suspects that it may be to force trading more, especially since we've had a day/night evolver in the past just fine (Eevee, with Espeon and Umbreon). 

• Thumbs Up 5

I was thinking...if Passimian's ability allows him to gain it's fallen partner's ability, we may start to see a lot of Passimian/Shedinja pairings

• Thumbs Up 2

17 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

likewise Eevee is also extremely risky cause even with those stat boost, it's still one of the slower, weaker mon's that could still die in a single hit to just about anything and wouldn't even be able to get off a Baton Pass.

uhh, I might be missing something, but with a stat boost like that eevee would be running a set of base stats in the range of some of the minor legendary pokemon.

+2 in every stat means we are outright doubling what eevee is working with. It won't be the hardest hitting thing out there, but your essentially looking at something with a base speed around 110 (which is fast enough to beat out a lot of specialized attackers) and hits over 100 with over 100 def and sp def to boot. Thats horrifying when you consider that you can set eevee up to abuse last resort. The only thing keeping it from tanking is a lack of HP - but it should be able to take a hit.

and if you didn't want to just fight with eevee, god help you if it baton pass that boost. If you predict right and catch someone with slower pokemon that don't 1hko eevee, then you will get that pass off and whatever you give it too should be utterly unstoppable.

Somebody's gonna abuse that thing. Thats waaaaay to strong for a non-evo.

I'm pretty happy with Lycanroc other than it's abilities which are really boring in comparison to the other Pokemon this gen. Seems like almost all new Pokemon this gen get a brand new ability while Lycanroc gets some pretty boring ones. I was super hoping for Midnight form to at least get the new ability but oh well.

Also on the complaints about both being pure rock, I couldn't be happier. If Midnight had fighting or dark it would've stacked up it's weakness even more so. I just hope it's stats match up with it's pokedex description since it seems to be built around anticipating attacks to counter, therefor it better have some good physical defense and HP to back it up. This is where I was hoping it would have some sort of special ability or move even, like a unique counter move that dishes back the "super effective" if Lycanroc is hit with one of it's weakness. Or maybe even an ability like sturdy or something new to play into it's counter-based play.

Pretty torn on getting sun or moon now tbh, I like them both too much haha

• Thumbs Up 2