Awoo.

Young Conker

shdowhunt60

So. Like. I'm driven speechless by this.

Microsoft created this augmented reality game creating using the Microsoft Hololens with  a ... I shit you not... a vaguely horrifying shriveled up version of Conker.

Like. Wow. I think that people hate this even more than they did Federation Force. Good work AAA industry, keep pissing people off with your complete lack of tact and respect for your beloved franchises.

Don't get me wrong, what's been done here is technically VERY impressive but... Man oh man, how did absolutely nobody see what was wrong with this?

• Thumbs Up 2

Anyone notice how the developers' full names aren't credited? Microsoft knew that fans would go apeshit. 

Woah... Why is young Conker so ugly? No, really, that stylised look looks really, really bad.

giphy.gif

The people involved with this project have to be intentionally taking the absolute piss. There's no way somebody signed off on this design --AR tech demo or no-- without being aware of absolutely everything wrong with it.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm not trying to bash the devs but I feel as if this is one of those things that was just made to make everybody angry. Between this and project spark something just screams "Fuck you!" to everybody who wanted a new Conker game. With how successful Killer Instinct was you'd think Microsoft realized that people want true sequels to old rare IP's not something like what we are getting. Maybe this game is actually good but for now I'm keeping my expectations low. 

I threw up in my mouth a little.

I'd rather they just stop using Conker instead of dragging him through the mud again. Wasn't that Project: Spark Conker 'game' a travesty as well?

By the by, this is for those interested in what Conker creator Chris Seavor had to say on his Twitter....

He stated that he did voicework for the tech demo, but MS never showed him the design (he expected them to use the Conker assets made for the Project Spark expansion).

He later posted this vine and retweeted this fanmade edit...

CcZvVWeXIAEvmjp.jpg

• Thumbs Up 8

I don't understand why Conker is in this game. Even if they use his old design, Conker still wouldn't fit in at all. The whole point of Conker that he's this crude and raunchy character with an appearance of a seemly family friendly mascot character. If you removed that crude and raunchy element of him, he have no unique quality to him.

It the reason why people didn't care about Pocket Tales cause Conker is just another "happy and cute" rare mascot. The way the devs are handling Conker is just plain backward.

• Thumbs Up 2

And they screwed up what made Bad Fur Day so unique. I mean we have Conker going "Aw heck". That's something I expect from SpongeBob, not Conker.

26 minutes ago, I'm Dan said:

I don't understand why Conker is in this game. Even if they use his old design, Conker still wouldn't fit in at all. The whole point of Conker that he's this crude and raunchy character with an appearance of a seemly family friendly mascot character. If you removed that crude and raunchy element of him, he have no unique quality to him.

It the reason why people didn't care about Pocket Tales cause Conker is just another "happy and cute" rare mascot. The way the devs are handling Conker is just plain backward.

I disagree, there was and still is a pretty big group who wanted Conker's Twelve Tales to be a thing even though they love Bad Fur Day all the same. He isn't just the character that he is now, and people would probably enjoy a return to form in the same vein as Twelve Tales.

With that said though, this really is nothing more than brand flanderization. He clearly doesn't belong here at all, and the devs know that, they're just trying to ride on the coattails of a beloved flagship character with a lot of traction.

I'm sorry, but this just in every way seems like a middle finger from Microsoft. Like they're going "haha we own Conker and can do what we want with it, deal with it." While swimming in money. I mean Jesus, how power crazy and blind do you have to be to allow shit like this and not care about the obvious backlash? Fuck off microshit.

The only thing I know about Conker is that it's an adventure-action game, so I don't want to horn in, but I just don't understand why I'd want to play a platformer that takes place in the reality? Why I'd want to run with this character on the walls and tables in my room? Maybe those who have played with Conker games disagree with me, but I think it's a bit like playing a Sonic game that takes place in my home. It's so pointless.

But technically it is really impressive. :)

• Thumbs Up 1

It seems that it's time to hop aboard the "I-want-to-cut-my-wrists-with-a-wooden-spoon" train after watching this

Microsoft seem to be trying really hard to make Conker some sort of Mascot for them like Mario is for Nintendo or say (not as strongly but still) Sackboy is for Sony.

These things can't be forced though, and Conker is just the wrong character to do it with.  Remember why they made Bad Fur Day in the first place?  Twelve Tales was doing nothing to stand out.  Take away the adult humour and Conker is just another generic kiddies talking animal.

What I don't get is why they keep insisting on forcing Conker in where he doesn't belong when they could be using Banjo (much as it would hurt) or, even better, Viva Pinata.  Viva Pinata was like THE family game on Xbox 360, I don't understand why they aren't using that property for these fun experimental "toy" games.  The game already had an element of observing and interacting with creatures from a distance with the "protagonist" being the player themselves.  It'd fit this kind of game like a glove.

• Thumbs Up 7

Put me in the "Microsoft has no use at all for B-K, and doesn't seem to have much of a use for this one. This is a weird idea. I do not like franchises coming back as spooky scary skeletons." camp. But at least their treatment of Killer Instinct is great.

12 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

And they screwed up what made Bad Fur Day so unique. I mean we have Conker going "Aw heck". That's something I expect from SpongeBob, not Conker.

I forgot to reply to this til now but, just throwing it out there coz it's a fun little trivia, he actually says "heck" plenty of times in the original game.  It's actually an important tidbit of his character that many people overlook and are surprised at to realise - but play the game again - despite always being introduced in popular culture as being "Rare's foul-mouthed squirrel" or similar, Conker himself never swears.  "Asses to you" is about the worst thing he says in the game.

In the unofficial dev commentary on youtube, Chris Seavor makes a point of this many times whenever the conversation is steering a way that implies Conker himself curses.

• Thumbs Up 5

6 hours ago, JezMM said:

Microsoft seem to be trying really hard to make Conker some sort of Mascot for them like Mario is for Nintendo or say (not as strongly but still) Sackboy is for Sony.

They have a mascot for gaming, his name is Master Chief. he may not be cute and fuzzy but hes still their mascot regardless.

21 hours ago, Chosen Undeadskaven said:

Perfect.

Not perfect, as I want to see Jon's real reaction to this, he probably vomited blood from his ears this time. has he said anything yet?

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

His Twitter hasn't said anything yet.

probably in shock still, poor guy.

That, or...

Spoiler

he's ded.

tumblr_mtnuijOgsN1qlbl9oo1_400.gif

7 hours ago, goku262002 said:

They have a mascot for gaming, his name is Master Chief. he may not be cute and fuzzy but hes still their mascot regardless.

Sure but to be fair I'm not quite sure if a tiny Master Chief jumping around on a couch collecting coins is gonna resonate with families that much.

I was gonna say it wouldn't be in-character or keeping with the style of Master Chief's franchise so they couldn't do it but *gestures to this shit*.

Well, it is impressive technology. I'm pretty sure it won't be really fun and will have tons of bugs, but still impressive.

But like everyone said: why Conker? Just Banjo or better yet, someone new.