Awoo.

Sonictrainer

Ccp_5pJWAAAcG6j.jpg:large

Paper Mario Color Splash is a new title coming to the Wii U sometime this year.

Ccp_cz0VIAEqSZk.jpg:large

Paper Mario must bring color back to Prism Island with his new paint hammer! 

In battle, you can paint special cards and then flick them to start the battle! It’s all very colorful.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want to be excited for this. I really, really do...

At the moment it could go either way. Definitely not the TTYD style that we all wanted, and a few traces of Sticker Star leftover like the battle system and solo Mario. The paint gimmick seems interesting, but we shall see...

• Thumbs Up 3

At the very least, I really, really love how the game looks graphics wise. Not sure how I feel about this in general but...I'm willing to give the game a chance at least. And what was up with that floating paint can--I'm guessing that's the (a? probably the only one, unfortunately) partner character?

Also I hope Bowser Jr. appears and uses a paint brush again. I mean...come on. Big opportunity here for some Super Mario Sunshine references.
Please.

• Thumbs Up 1

Graphics look really great, but other than that I don't like it. The battle system is the most important part for me and it doesn't look like it's returning to the original two's.

Definitely no buy from me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic about this, like i'm definitely sure it won't be another sticker star but man i'm really hoping that the exploration is actually fun this time and that the battle system isn't just attacking with no way to target different enemies.

Gone back to watch the trailer over again a couple more times. Yep, this is pretty much Sticker Star 2 in all but name alone.

Pros: the game looks pretty as all hell. Seriously nice work on the graphics! It's also cool to see a location that isn't the goddam Mushroom Kingdom again, for once.

Cons: ...but Prism Island may as well be in the Mushroom Kingdom. It's inhabited by the same old generic Toads and Shy Guys we see everywhere else. The only "new" character is the paint bucket, but that'll probably just be this game's equivalent of Kersti. On the plus side, it doesn't appear Peach gets kidnapped... or Bowser is obviously involved... yet...

But yeah, the battle system is completely card based - there's Jump, Hammer, Fan, Mushroom, Fire Flower, etc... all the traditional Paper Mario moves are relegated to the same sort of system as Sticker Star, which you can find in the field and also buy from the shop. Not a fan of this whole "paint and flick" mechanic either, what's wrong with button inputs?

Sigh... I'm still perfectly willing to give this a shot, Sticker Star wasn't entirely irredeemable after all, but it's never going to be the TTYD successor that we all desperately want. Maybe next time...

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill Trinen even mentioned that its in the Action-Adventure genre, rather than RPG.

Ok.....I'm going to be honest. I'm not too pleased with this. I'm sure that this game will be great on it's on but why is it so hard to make a game simlar to thousand year door? Like seriously? I hope this game is going to be fun but urgh. Oh well I'm still going to get it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, really pedantic issue but I hope they call it Colour Splash for Europe (like SEGA did with Sonic Colours). Not having the u in the word just feels... wrong for an audience used to British spelling.

I doubt it will happen though, seeing as it was revealed as Color Splash in the EU Direct.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Marcello said:

I think you mean Colour Splash Bros, bro.

*cries*

Oh, and another thing I forgot to mention. The frigging level select world map like in Sticker Star. Ugh. Is it really so hard to just like, make an overworld?

I hope this doesn't become a confusing mess of exploration where you're hopping from one level to another with absolutely no clue where to go next...

• Thumbs Up 1

Game looks interesting enough so far. Obviously building off Sticker Star, but I don't have a visceral hatred of that game the way some people seem to, so I'm willing to see where they're going with this, at least.

Honestly, I loved TTYD, but after rewatching it with more objective eyes and seeing how pedestaled it's become after Sticker Star, I'm not interested in "just that again" anyway. Bring on the change, let's just hope it works out better this time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Not writing it off yet cause Sticker Star is not iredeemable conceptually but what they show does not instill confidence.

Alright, a new Paper Mario game! I guess you could "color" me excited!

I'm cautiously interested in the game thus far, so I'm planning on waiting to hear about everything before I can really set out some ground complaints, having never played Sticker Star, for one.

Speaking of, the game's graphics look a lot like the commercial for said game! Check it out!

Not exactly sure about it being intentional or not, but I'm excited, since I was hoping that the game would look a lot like this.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Oh, boy! A new Paper Mario game! Let's hope they learned their lesson from Sticker Star!"

*watches the trailer*

"..."

Spoiler

5d4.png

SERIOUSLY, NINTENDO?! You're doing it again?!

I don't mind that this isn't using the tried-and-true method of the first two games. I'd even be excited for them trying something completely different. (I love Super Paper Mario because, while different, it was still enjoyable for what it did) But reusing ideas that didn't work the first time?! Nobody wanted you to bring back the car gimmick for Mario Party 10, and I doubt very many were hoping for a Sticker Star rehash! You've almost reached Sonic Team's level of unnecessary innovating!

*pant pant*

But, I'll give this new title some merits: I like the graphics, and using your hammer to color the environment sounds much more interesting than using stickers. But it looks to be continuing the trend of just using main-series characters- minus one generic helper. 200 coins and 121 Power Stars say Bowser's behind this, or at the very least, he'll hijack the game at the last second. And we all know Peach is gonna get kidnapped.

Miyamoto is most likely responsible for this lack of original faces, like he was in Sticker Star. Look, I have endless respect for him and all he's done for the industry, but I really wish he'd stay away from the Mario RPG's. He wanted the series to change, but his means of doing so was via subtraction. Removing the new characters and interesting lore doesn't make an RPG more accessable; it makes it more lifeless. The entire point of an RPG is to play a role. With next-to-no story and a completely one-dimensional cast, it's not an RPG. 

I'm sorry for the rant, but I now understand how Metroid fans feel about Federation Force. Innovation is essential for keeping a franchise fresh, but when you take away the core components that gave the series its identity, you've probably gone too far. I might be inclined to give this game a chance when it comes out, but I'm keeping my expectations lower than a squashed Goomba.

• Thumbs Up 5

As long as Bowser isn't mute again, I will be happy since that's what ticked me off the most in Sticker Star.

Looks awesome. Card gameplay, to me, just seems like an alternate way to pick your weapon, instead of the blocks in M&L and... Whatever it was in TTYD.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can just taste the salt in this thread lol.

Eh, its pretty good graphically at the very least, other than that, I don't have much to say; I never played Sticker Star, so everything I know about it is through extremely loud voices of "OH GOD WHY!?" and people praising TTYD as the second coming of Jesus. I suppose I should play this series to see what all of the hulabaloo is about and if all of this anger is worth it (It probably is, but the internet has a habit of exaggerating things).

• Thumbs Up 1

Not sure what to make of this. I'm guessing the card system is a carry over from the 3DS game? Seems a little tacked on (I haven't played Sticker Star, for the record). I do however like the paint concept, but I had a bit of a laugh because it's like the opposite of Mario Sunshine. Hopefully they're not letting Miyamoto call the shots on the storyline or the character writing since I understand that was a big problem with Sticker Star.