Awoo.

Sonictrainer

So question...

Anyone think this game will follow the typical field, desert, forest, winter, and fire stage progression?

That's another thing that worries me, especially after Paper Jam and the way Color Splash's map looks.

Didn't they follow this route in Sticker Star as well? Didn't make it far in that game... So I dunno.

I could see it taking the TTYD route, where they start off with familiar but quickly go into more unique tropes from the second world onwards.

At least I really hope that's what they do otherwise I friggin' give up lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, JezMM said:

I could see it taking the TTYD route, where they start off with familiar but quickly go into more unique tropes from the second world onwards.

At least I really hope that's what they do otherwise I friggin' give up lol.

I think you start off in the town, go to the fields... Then I think the next area is the desert with the train...

Course, that seems like a kind of cheap riff off the first game... Then again so is the intro the way it riffs off TTYD in a way...

See, this game IS being made based off feedback, but in the wrong way... Kind of like how we always see Green Hill in Sonic nowadays and the constant 2D/3D merger. They take feedback, and twist it in ways those who gave it didn't intend for it to be used.

2 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

Kind of like how we always see Green Hill in Sonic nowadays and the constant 2D/3D merger. They take feedback, and twist it in ways those who gave it didn't intend for it to be used.

Wait, what?

Yeah, TTYD starts off in a Grassy terrain + Castle similar to the first game, but then goes to a Giant Tree, a battle Arena floating in the sky, a spooky village, a Caribbean theme island complete ghost pirates, a Train ride + Mystery case , a Snow region, the Moon, and finally to the delphs of a temple holding a powerful demon.

It's a little more unique than your typical Mario theme levels, especially the Glitz Pit.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Yeah, TTYD starts off in a Grassy terrain + Castle similar to the first game, but then goes to a Giant Tree, a battle Arena floating in the sky, a spooky village, a Caribbean theme island complete ghost pirates, a Train ride + Mystery case , a Snow region, the Moon, and finally to the delphs of a temple holding a powerful demon.

It's a little more unique than your typical Mario theme levels.

Not to mention SPM gave us a booby-trapped mansion, a pixelated world, space, a prehistoric world, a Japanese gauntlet, and the Mario equivalent of Heaven and Hell.

And it all went downhill from there.

1 hour ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Not to mention SPM gave us a booby-trapped mansion, a pixelated world, space, a prehistoric world, a Japanese gauntlet, and the Mario equivalent of Heaven and Hell.

And it all went downhill from there.

That's my issue. Sticker Star was generic stage wise, as was Paper Jam despite it still being a pretty sweet game. In my eyes at least.

Color Splash is following a similar path to the games mentioned I think, but at least it doesn't seem... Wholeheartedly generic. The locations are the same, but they still look original in ways.

Dunno... But it does seem field and desert are the first two locations you can expect to traverse. I just hope they do enough to keep making the game look original save the Rogueport vibes. Nice to see the concept again, but they could've made the town look more unique.

Feels like they heard all the TTYD feedback and figured implementing said games intro and town into Color Splash was the best course of action.

This pic answers all the questions about Sticker Star's problems and why Color Splash exists.

6hqb2f.png

I'm very sad with this. I loved PM, TTYD and SPM but couldn't even finish Sticker Star thanks to the boring """Story""", level design and battle style. If this is really the future for Paper Mario series, then, I finish my ride with Super Paper Mario. 

Interestingly enough, I actually just finished Paper Mario not long ago on VC. So now I finished the first three Paper Mario games. Not going to bother with Sticker Star ever. I will work on going through each Mario & Luigi game. I think I've got the first one on VC right now.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Paper Mario Color Splash will release on October 7th

anything else shown?

17 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

anything else shown?

GameXplain said Nintendo will show more about it tomorrow.

Interview with developer Risa Tabata:

The game was drunkenly conceived at the Sticker Star wrap party. Pretty much says it all :lol:

EDIT: Official info and trailer incoming

useuse.png

E32016_FactSheet_PaperMarioColorSplash_W

My summary: looks like a marked improvement on Sticker Star, but basically still the same gameplay-wise. Lots of cool set pieces but little in the way of overall wow factor. Probably going to feel more like a collection of "moments" rather than a cohesive grand adventure.

EDIT 2: Official art available in GoNintendo's E3 Flickr album

WiiU_PaperMarioColorSplash_E32016_charset_02-1

OH GOD THE HORROR

"Shrugs" I'm going in with an open mind, I'm always up for something different. That and what's curious is that it shows a specific attack for the boss but doesn't says you have to use that attack

• Thumbs Up 2

Hmmmmm....

Not without its charms, certainly.

But gameplay wise basically nothing appears significantly improved from Sticker Star... So fuck

Oh that's another thing, Koopalings means inevitably that every single boss in the game is gonna be one of them, you know, as if you weren't bored of that from the NSMB series already!

I need to lie down

48 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Oh that's another thing, Koopalings means inevitably that every single boss in the game is gonna be one of them, you know, as if you weren't bored of that from the NSMB series already!

I need to lie down

I'm a huge fan of the seven not-Bowser's-kids, and even I'm sick of them taking major boss roles that could be filled by more deserving enemies. They're only one step above "giant generic enemies with crowns" on my Mario Boss Tier List.

Just now, Forte-Metallix said:

I'm a huge fan of the seven not-Bowser's-kids, and even I'm sick of them taking major boss roles that could be filled by more deserving enemies. They're only one step above "giant generic enemies with crowns" on my Mario Boss Tier List.

Those more deserving enemies that haven't been created yet?

Since NSMB is the only game with that issue, the problem is that they're the only bosses...they took up the boss and mini-boss roles before Boom Boom came back. Creating new bosses along side the Koopalings would've been great.

So they did show there IS a benefit for fighting enemies, especially later on: You get ink, AND you have a high chance of catching a Enemy Card, which obviously gets proportionally better(and may provide alternate ways to fight enemies)

Honestly I'm planning to grab it at release.

2 hours ago, Doctor MK said:

WiiU_PaperMarioColorSplash_E32016_charset_02-1

OH GOD THE HORROR

Toad getting the succ of his life looool

Best official art ever.

And yea this game does not appeal me that much. But dang the graphics are pretty nice especially when those realistic items come into play.

Also a train of though I agree with is that the Koopalings are a red herring, and here's part of the reason I think why: If you can recruit enemies as attack cards, what if the villain did the same to the koopalings? Also Bowser never uses the Shyguys as his main forces, and would never inform Mario of his plans outside of his kidnapping of Peach. What if Bowser is being held captive by the real villain/found out about his villains being kidnapped.

14 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Also a train of though I agree with is that the Koopalings are a red herring, and here's part of the reason I think why: If you can recruit enemies as attack cards, what if the villain did the same to the koopalings? Also Bowser never uses the Shyguys as his main forces, and would never inform Mario of his plans outside of his kidnapping of Peach. What if Bowser is being held captive by the real villain/found out about his villains being kidnapped.

1) The Koopalings have joined Mario before in Puzzle & Dragons: Mario Edition.

2) Bowser has Shy Guys in his army in the Mario & Luigi games. (And one in Mario Party 9)

3) Bowser's tape from Sticker Star has been seen in previous footage. Given the RPG's lack of creativity, it's pretty safe to assume Bowser's the Big Bad. Remember, Nintendo doesn't like new and interesting characters in Paper Mario anymore.

6 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

1) The Koopalings have joined Mario before in Puzzle & Dragons: Mario Edition.

2) Bowser has Shy Guys in his army in the Mario & Luigi games. (And one in Mario Party 9)

3) Bowser's tape from Sticker Star has been seen in previous footage. Given the RPG's lack of creativity, it's pretty safe to assume Bowser's the Big Bad. Remember, Nintendo doesn't like new and interesting characters in Paper Mario anymore.

Actually, IS doesn't like new characters, Miyamoto suggested it, but it was IS's decision to take it overboard and keep it that way. This is especially indicated by the producer in the interviews

Also, if it is Bowser why keep it a secret? and why didn't he kidnap Peach already? And why didn't Morton mention his name? Also the trailer says new characterS not just one, so apparently we are getting something else new in this

On another note we have an updated map from the trailer that shows something interesting

1466042095-cs-map.png

There are now multiple routes between areas, and it's possible to bypass areas. For reference here's what we saw of the reveal map

24856908283_efbe268da7_o_zpsgr6wb3u6.jpg

Hunh, looks like there may be zoomed in subareas as well, and perhaps some hidden areas, the upper left corner makes me think of the hidden area in Super Mario World

• Thumbs Up 1