Awoo.

Sonictrainer

8 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

Did Alphadream's writers jump on board for this game?

1474890053554.jpg

I'm thinking they did.

This game's sense of humour is absolute gold.  Almost worth the price of admission at this point.  Almost.  However, so far the gameplay's still keeping me happy.

Rescue V Episode 6 is here. This time we're sailing off to Fortune Island...

EDIT: Also, massive endgame spoilers, but I couldn't resist pointing this out:

pmcsend_zpsfk898bsg.png

Not only do we have Mario Kart and Rainbow Road references... but the Luigi death stare is confirmed canon, at least in the Paper Mario universe!

Take a bow, Color Splash writers.

Sounds like another great Nate Bihldorf script. Not that I expected anything different; the guy's written the English dialogue for pretty much every Mario RPG since Paper Mario, and he's never missed a beat.

Look like a lot better than it did before. I wasn't expecting this game to be very good when it was first announced, but it's looking pretty good now. Shame, a lot of the game got spoiled, though. Would have been more fun for my playthrough if I didn't know too much about it.

Oh my god, the game was actually better than I thought it was going to be and they brought back a decent plot again. Well talk about an extreme case of "Don't judge a book by its cover."

Also I have one comment about the ending...

Spoiler

When Peach said she hoped Bowser learned his lesson, I can't but wonder... what lesson?! The whole thing happened because Bowser wanted to play in paint, how was he suppose to know it create a powerful darkness that would corrupt him and want to make the world colorless? Heck even Huey pointed out how Bowser wasn't planning anything evil. Then again I guess she wasn't there for that part and she didn't she how Bowser had no memories of his actions once he was freed of the black paint so I guess she thought Bowser was being his typical self.

I've seen a few reviews today and the game seems like it could be pretty fun, but the battle system still has me on the fence. Every time I see it, I'm not feeling it. The card system would probably work if every single move and action wasn't consumable, including basic actions like Mario's Jump and Hammer. At this point, I know not to walk into this thing expecting a follow up to 64/TTYD, but for how fun and interesting it seems to be to explore the world and interact with it, it's a shame such a key part of these RPGs is looking to be a real drag. Personally, I think I'd prefer if they just forewent the battling and went back to and expanded on what they did with Super Paper Mario, since I think a lot of that game's playstyle would be right at home with what's on display here.

The game's definitely moved up to something I'm watching and curious about lately, but I can't say I'm completely sold on it yet, and it's actually a little frustrating to me.

Well, colour me surprised. Looks like the game's actually gonna be surprising after all. Might actually pick this up at some point down the line, even if the only Paper Mario game I've played was Super Paper Mario (and technically, Paper Jam, which is more Mario & Luigi then anything else). Well, if it is good, nice work Nintendo for surprising everyone.

As much as I'm not surprised by the scores, I sure am happy to know that it's fun.  I'm not going to get it just yet, but it's on the list.  I think Zaysho is right though, cutting out the battle system middle man and going full platformer might have made it even better.  Hell, you could still keep the card gimmick in some capacity if Intelligent Systems is so hung up on it.  Nevertheless, I'd love to give it a go someday,

• Thumbs Up 2