Awoo.

Sonictrainer

Sticker Star was not a fun game nor what I remembered fondly of the Paper Mario series. The Mario RPGs held a special place in my heart because of how much I'd played them as a kid - so when a new one gets announced, my interest is piqued.

I've seen all I need to see of this game to know it isn't for me just from those screenshots alone. Collecting cards for in-battle abilities in a limited nature should have been a failed experiment that remained in Sticker Star. No partners, no level up system..

• Thumbs Up 2

I just hope it gets Paper Mario's sense of humor back. Yeah the Gameplay was dull and all but one of Sticker Stars biggest offenses was that it was painfully unfunny. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Really hoped they'd ditch the sticker star gameplay after the first go as it just bores me, but oh well no ones forcing me to buy the game.

A little off topic but what the hell gives with the toads? Why are they all just the same color/type again?

• Thumbs Up 1

GameXplain uploaded the footage from the Japanese and European directs. Compare the like/dislike ratio to the last one. 

2 hours ago, Valentine's Playa Kirito said:

We've only seen like, a minute and a half of gameplay. We didn't even get to see Mario use the cards yet. Maybe we should wait just a little bit more before thinking it's going to be terrible? If it ends up being just like Sticker Star (never played it) than I'll take this back but, just wait, alright?

You wouldn't be saying this if everyone was praising it as looking amazing so why say it because everyone is pessimistic?  If we're not going to discuss based on what we've seen so far, why even make a topic before the game is out?

A minute and a half of gameplay is actually quite a lot to go on.

• Thumbs Up 6

Also (as a general note, not to anyone in particular) remember that the game wasn't even called an RPG, this is apparently an Action/Adventure game. 

The Japanese footage confirms that at least Peach won't be mute this time, so there's hope for Bowser.  That's something at least.

4 minutes ago, JezMM said:

The Japanese footage confirms that at least Peach won't be mute this time, so there's hope for Bowser.  That's something at least.

She wasn't mute in Sticker Star, so this doesn't really mean anything for Bowser. 

Personally, I'm hoping for a new antagonist at the very least, but it's a pretty safe bet that Bowser's the Big Bad, or he'll at least pull a Ganon and hijack the game at the last second.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, JezMM said:

You wouldn't be saying this if everyone was praising it as looking amazing so why say it because everyone is pessimistic?  If we're not going to discuss based on what we've seen so far, why even make a topic before the game is out?

A minute and a half of gameplay is actually quite a lot to go on.

I was mostly saying it because everyone's thinking it's gonna be like Sticker Star. Even if the gameplay is like SS there's still the story that could be much better (and as I recall hearing others say, that too was pretty bad in Sticker Star).

And, yes, I might have something to say if everyone were praising it off such a short amount of footage (especially after Sonic Colors, which ended up pretty boring despite thinking the gameplay looked cool). I did however see that the cards seem limited (or the paint is) in the Japanese footage like Sticker Star, so... Carry on, I suppose.

I mean, I did say it looked awesome but now that I'm seeing it's more like Sticker Star, which everyone hated... I'm not so sure. I guess graphically it does though.

Perhaps a slight over-exaggeration, but too relevant not to post: "Paper Mario Color Splash in a Nutshell"...

• Thumbs Up 8

11 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

She wasn't mute in Sticker Star, so this doesn't really mean anything for Bowser. 

Oh... bugger.

Guess it says something for how shit the story was that I have zero memory of her ever saying anything lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JezMM said:

Oh... bugger.

Guess it says something for how shit the story was that I have zero memory of her ever saying anything lol.

She only ever said 2 textboxes worth of stuff, it was right after you beat Bowser.

• Thumbs Up 2

El oh el, I knew that Toad getting his colors sucked from him would be used for gifs and videos for that extent... Shame I'm a lazy bum, I was almost the one to do it.

In any event, our best case scenario is here is that they are able to build off of Sticker Star to make a game that is actually fun to play. It wouldn't be the first time a concept that was done poorly was redeemed by a sequel fixing what went wrong. That said, it's gonna take a lot of fixing, so I'm not gonna get my hopes up for any kind of massive improvement, but I'm going to accept the reality that this is not Thousand Year Door 2 and it likely never will be so I'm just gonna hope for the best with what we get. 

That said, we live in a world where the screams of a million fanboys on the internet actually CAN have power over multimillion dollar corporations, so by all means, let us continue to voice our dissatisfaction with the change in direction. Nintendo is of course is exceptionally isolated and the language barrier between them and many of their fans certainly does no favors in that regard, but hey, never know what gets through the cracks.

WHAT DO WE WANT?!

RPGS!!

WHEN DO WE WANT EM?!?!

RIGHT NOW! BUT THAT'S IMPRACTICAL SO LIKE FOR THE NEXT GAME OR WHATEVER.

• Thumbs Up 4

53 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Also (as a general note, not to anyone in particular) remember that the game wasn't even called an RPG, this is apparently an Action/Adventure game. 

If that's the case, they should call it Paper Mario Land or something like that rather than pretending it's the same series.

• Thumbs Up 1

See, that image with the variety in toads PROVES that Toad NPCs can be interesting... and Nintendo's insistence to keep them bland, colored toads.

But you wanna know what's worse? It's like Nintendo forget that there are other TYPES of friendly NPCs in the Mario universe. Yoshis, those Delfino people, Bob-omb buddies, Koopa the Quick. There have been friendly Koopas and Goombas in the Mario Party games, even!

This "new direction" of Paper Mario lacks personality. Before, even the generic enemies had some fun design variation, but now...

Egh.

• Thumbs Up 4

10 hours ago, Omega Pipe said:

While Intelligent System is at fault with how the way Paper Mario is becoming nowadays but I know I'm probably wrong about this but... wasn't Miyamoto partially responsible for the way Sticker Star turned out the way it did though? Abandoning the elements that help define the Paper Mario series; like getting nothing but generic Toad NPCs, lack of partners (like that Chain Chomp partner that was present in the Beta version), lack of a story, no EXP/Star Points, and also having Bowser not talking for the entire game. If I recall in the Iwata Asks interview, after Miyamoto played the prototype of it, he said "it was just a port of the Gamecube version" which was The Thousand Year Door he was talking about. He also said "It's fine without a story, so do we really need one?" as well.

I know I'm shooting out there, but isn't that kinda how it lead to this? Please correct me, if I'm wrong about this.

Miyamoto meddled a bit but he wasn't the one responsible for how the game eventually turned out. Like, he may have said "no outside characters or plot" but he didn't tell them "make a completely unrewarding and pointless battle system and make it so that players need to resort to GameFAQs in order to figure out boss weaknesses and where Thing stickers are." All that shit is on IS.

I actually don't believe it would have turned out the way it did if Miyamoto was either more involved in its development as a lead, or if IS employed more experienced developers (IIRC, SS's team was comprised almost entirely of new recruits who have never worked on a Paper Mario game before). Miyamoto-led games are usually intuitive, simple, and fun. SS just doesn't feel like a game he himself would have put out, and I'm honestly a bit shocked that nobody at Nintendo picked up late in development just how counter-intuitive so many of its mechanics are.

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, Sean said:

Miyamoto meddled a bit but he wasn't the one responsible for how the game eventually turned out. Like, he may have said "no outside characters or plot" but he didn't tell them "make a completely unrewarding and pointless battle system and make it so that players need to resort to GameFAQs in order to figure out boss weaknesses and where Thing stickers are." All that shit is on IS.

I actually don't believe it would have turned out the way it did if Miyamoto was either more involved in its development as a lead, or if IS employed more experienced developers (IIRC, SS's team was comprised almost entirely of new recruits who have never worked on a Paper Mario game before). Miyamoto-led games are usually intuitive, simple, and fun. SS just doesn't feel like a game he himself would have put out, and I'm honestly a bit shocked that nobody at Nintendo picked up late in development just how counter-intuitive so many of its mechanics are.

To add to that wasn't that just a suggestion from Miyamoto?  So at the end of the day they decided to go with it, I'm just baffled that they are still doing with this direction even though the fan feedback for SPM and SS wasn't that positive. 

It's possible that even though the Iwata Asks words it as a "suggestion," it could have just been a really polite way of saying "Miyamoto told us not to use these things." Plus, nobody at Nintendo is probably willing to go against his wishes due to his sheer influence, and something about Japanese culture and etc.

But still, even keeping Miyamoto's restrictions in mind, there's no reason Sticker Star couldn't have turned out to be an extremely creative and fun game in its own right. Again, I'm gonna bring up Paper Jam because that game is basically Sticker Star's evil twin.

• Thumbs Up 1

I bet somebody at Nintendo thought they were being super witty by making it cards instead of stickers. It was bizarre enough that the people working on Sticker Star decided "hey, wouldn't it be a great idea if we made a Paper Mario game with literally none of the charm of past Paper Mario games while simultaeneously making the gameplay as tedious and unenjoyable as possible?", but who the hell decided to try that again after the reaction to Sticker Star? Was somebody at Nintendo so desperate to prove that his cool sticker mechanic was the collest new thing and people just don't understand how much potential it has? (and was that "somebody at Nintendo" Miyamoto again?)

I can't wait for the game to bomb and for Nintendo to conclude that Paper Mario just isn't popular any more and axe the franchise completely. RIP Paper Mario

• Thumbs Up 3

Unfortunately for those hoping for the franchise to be killed as unprofitable after this, I bet the same thing will happen to Mario and Luigi, given that Paper Jam/Cut used only stock Mario characters and relied too much on gimmicks. At this point, we can only hope for an outsourced Mario RPG, as Nintendo clearly no longer want to develop a good Mario RPG. Another Squeenix one? Bioware? Some indie developer like Toby Fox? Any of those would be better than what Nintendo is doing now.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, The Very First Miru to Me said:

Unfortunately for those hoping for the franchise to be killed as unprofitable after this, I bet the same thing will happen to Mario and Luigi, given that Paper Jam/Cut used only stock Mario characters and relied too much on gimmicks. At this point, we can only hope for an outsourced Mario RPG, as Nintendo clearly no longer want to develop a good Mario RPG. Another Squeenix one? Bioware? Some indie developer like Toby Fox? Any of those would be better than what Nintendo is doing now.

From what I heard, Paper Jam was Sticker Star done right. Yeah, it only uses main-series characters, but at least it did new things with them. (Bringing in King Bob-omb, giving the Koopalings dialogue and fleshing them out a bit, revealing Peach's thoughts on getting kidnapped constantly, etc.) More importantly, it reminded everyone that Paper Bowser can talk and has an actual personality.

Sticker Star was just lifeless. There were no memorable characters (except for that insufferable talking crown), Bowser was made even more generic than he is in the main series, and it felt like nothing was happening.

Besides, Paper Jam kept the core gameplay of the M&L series whilst doing something new with it. (I haven't played it yet, so I can only judge it so much) Sticker Star removed everything fans love about Paper Mario, and this game looks to continue that trend.

• Thumbs Up 5

So did anyone ever wonder how much the old Paper Mario games sell compared to Sticker Star? Because Sticker star outsold every prior game in Japan hilariously. So this change doesn't seem as abrupt as some are making it. I know its VG charts and it should be taken with a grain of salt, but it does paint a picture.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

So did anyone ever wonder how much the old Paper Mario games sell compared to Sticker Star? Because Sticker star outsold every prior game in Japan hilariously. So this change doesn't seem as abrupt as some are making it. I know its VG charts and it should be taken with a grain of salt, but it does paint a picture.

Likely more to do with the series' legacy + 3DS' popularity as to why it did so well sales-wise.

Another certain disappointment. Let me guess, Miyamoto shoving his face in a crack it doesn't belong in yet again?

I see no partners, save for another Navi-esque sidekick, mixed with Splatoon and Sticker Star focus.

Typical "classic enemy" cast, and another toad centric title the way it looks.

And once again putting overbearing emphasis on the "paper" aspect of the reality whereas the original and Thousand Year Door mixed paper craft with realism.

Looks like a definite pass for me, as this is not a real Paper Mario save for its name.